alone in a sea of strollers - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2004, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Everyone uses strollers because they don't know about slinging. I personally am coming to this forum from the "mainstream" way of life. So-called mainstream moms are good women who love their babies, but are simply ignorant, as someone else said, about things like slinging.

I never considered using a sling because I had a snuggli that hurt my back and I thought a sling would too, and while I had seen slings in catalogs, I had never seen them in real life (still haven't!) and didn't know how to use them- worried that the baby would fall out, ect... Basically, I was ignorant.

So I'm sorry some of you hate being stared at, but you're teaching people, you're doing a real service to all mothers. The more "mainstream" parents see slings, the more they will wonder about them, and maybe will become educated about them, and even more importantly, maybe they will use them! Maybe slings will someday become mainstream.

I do put my baby in a sling now if he's needing to be held and I need to do something, but he really doesn't like it for long stretches of time- he isn't used to it. He truly does like riding around in the stroller. I wish I had been educated about slings when he was born- and when my other children were born.

As for a stroller being convenient- I now have 3 children, 3years and under, and I use my double stroller almost every day. It is a necessity at this point in my life.

But with one baby, the sling is the way to go, compared to dragging the kid around in a heavy carseat all day. And if my baby got fussy, I would be carrying the baby while pushing an oversized stroller or lugging around the carseat. But this is the way we're "supposed" to do it.

I WISH I HAD KNOWN!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2004, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceMomma
So I'm sorry some of you hate being stared at, but you're teaching people, you're doing a real service to all mothers. The more "mainstream" parents see slings, the more they will wonder about them, and maybe will become educated about them, and even more importantly, maybe they will use them!
Andrea!

I TOTALLY agree with you. Have you seen this site? They got amazing photos of step-by-step babywearing instructions for different types of carriers.

Mamatoto.org

I LOVE being stared at! I love talking about my sling to mothers who come up and ask me. It takes guts to walk up to a stranger and start up a conversation.

Yesterday I was in Toys R Us pushing an empty carseat, carseat stroller, while my baby nursed to sleep in the Over the Shoulder Baby Holder sling (OTSBH). A mom was pushing her 1 month old in the huge stroller, grandmom was walking behind with the toddler. She said, "Hey! How do you use that thing? I can't seem to figure it out...." I offered her my # to show her in person (and I regret now not telling her about the babywearing party I'm going to have). She didn't have the instructional video. That is my # 1 pet peeve about slings... I didn't have it the first time either, and couldn't figure out my sling alone for the first 5 months. I cursed the money I spent on it. I eventually went to a LLL begging for sling help, 'cause DS was High Needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maymom2b
I just wanted to suggest to those of you that want to cook while slinging baby or even attend the yoga class to try a Kozy or a Podegi.
But wouldn't some of the poses be impossible? Downward dog, etc...?

T I just saw this book and ordered it from half.com
Baby Om: Yoga for Mothers and Babies

Dharmama - I * just * got on the Kozy Carrier watiting list: 2 months. I wish I was reading this board BEFORE I gave birth. My baby will be 5 months old, not too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceMomma
But with one baby, the sling is the way to go, compared to dragging the kid around in a heavy carseat all day. And if my baby got fussy, I would be carrying the baby while pushing an oversized stroller or lugging around the carseat. But this is the way we're "supposed" to do it.
Yup, that's the problem.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
Old 09-21-2004, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

i hope i didn't sound judgmental of stroller use in general. i have a stroller and there are circumstances where i do find it useful. and of course there are physical reasons not to use a sling. i just know in that class of 17 that they didn't ALL have a disability, and strollers definitely weren't the most convenient in this situation. ya'll are right of course, people just don't know about babywearing, or if they do they associate it with the 3rd world or something.

Mizelenius, i had ds in target in my maya on sunday!! and i was pleasanty surprised to see a mama with her dc in some sort of asian baby carrier.

i wish that our culture was different. i mean whose job should it be to educate parents on the benis of baby-carrying, breastfeeding, no-circ, etc.? i think the majority of parents defer to their docs but i'm more and more becoming convinced that docs are as uneducated as the general public. i wish i could find a doc i can trust.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:53 PM

Tanya, thanks for the welcome! And the link. I know how so use my sling (kinda... It's a handmedown from my SIL, and it's too big for me, and one of those bulky padded ones...) now, but the boy wants to be free to roam to world- pick me up, put me down, pick me up, put me down... I think he might feel differently if he had been slinged (slung?) from the start.

I plan on slinging the next baby. I'll be doing research and shopping for the perfect sling when that time comes.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:48 AM

BTW, I just wanted to add that I also do NOT intend to sound judgmental of stroller use . . .I own 2 and I definitely think they have their place. In fact, DD got to a point where she fussed so much in the sling (once she got walking) that she preferred the stroller when walking wasn't an option. It was sad, but I felt that being AP meant going by what SHE wanted, not what I wanted.

I also never mind if I get stares or asked questions-- I stare at moms in slings, too! Unfortuntately, I rarely got stares or questions when I was slinging DD. My slings must not be showy enough!

And UUCC-- are you in Chicago (well, it was an Evanston Target) . . .maybe that was you!!!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Old 09-22-2004, 05:15 AM
Banned

i've owned 4 over the years. A stupid umbrella stroller that had no strength to help me walk after a car accident and then three others that are far more solid, far heavier and far more combursome. but they all are strong enough for me to use like a walker. I destroyed two of them with all the walking I did.

I still prefer to sling all I can though.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:45 AM

Well, I didn't mean to sound like I thought everyone sounded judgemental- lol. Did that make sense?

I just sometimes feel like there is an attitude on the Mothering boards that mainstream anything is bad and mainstream parents don't care enough about their children. So I just wanted to throw it out there that so-called mainstreamers are just doing the best they can, most of them anyway, with what they know.

And another thing- if I saw a slinging momma, I would be staring too- trying to get a few tips on how she was using it, because I'd be afraid to approach her. I'm kind of shy.

Happy slinging!
Old 09-22-2004, 10:25 AM

Quote:
It was sad, but I felt that being AP meant going by what SHE wanted, not what I wanted.
I totally agree!

RiceMomma ~ Good reminders. I try to think of that when I catch myself being judgmental of mamas who are doing things differently than I am (particularly if it falls into more of the "mainstream" catagory).

With only a few exceptions, I think ALL parents are doing the very best they can with the information that they have.

When I am slinging my dd I see "the look" all the time from mamas struggling to carry carseats around....kind of like...huh? Well that looks easier than what I'm doing. I didn't know those things existed. I have had SO many people come up to me and ask for information. My DH says I should start selling slings :LOL because I spend so much time and effort promoting them.

Fussy baby...

~Erin
Old 09-22-2004, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius
And UUCC-- are you in Chicago (well, it was an Evanston Target) . . .maybe that was you!!!

haha, no i'm in md, musta been another mama.

well, i'm off to yoga today. we'll see how they come!
Old 09-22-2004, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

well my friend used her snuggli and told me she's ordered a mamaroo, but otherwisw there was a roomful of carseats and strollers (more carseats than strollers this week it seemed) one woman said to another about me, 'she's got the right idea--her hand are free.' i smiled and said, 'well i didn't want to say anything, but....yeah i do!' we laffed but that's as far as it went unfortunately.

my friend and i will just have to continue setting an example!

(T oh, also, i don't know why this surprised me but i was disappointed how few people raised their hands when the instructor asked who was bfing. she's european and i think she was surprised too. the babies are between 6 weeks and 9 months, so it's not like it was that far out there *sigh* i guess to some extent babywearing and bfing past a fw weeks go hand in hand)
Old 09-22-2004, 08:03 PM

Quote:
one woman said to another about me, 'she's got the right idea--her hand are free.' i smiled and said, 'well i didn't want to say anything, but....yeah i do!' we laffed but that's as far as it went unfortunately.
That's a start...you've planted the seed mama!!!
Old 09-26-2004, 04:24 AM

I don't even own a stroller, having been the victim of stroller-achilles heel accidents one too many times.

Talk about a sea of strollers, though...outdoor festivals in the Seattle area are insane with strollers! We've done July 4th, Labor Day, and several hours at a local fair so far, and almost everyone else is pushing these bulky things. They can't even see their babes.

For short term things I use my hotsling (which I love b/c of the label that's right in front, so even in noisy places I can just point when people ask...helps that it's a gorgeous custom-made one with brocade and sage twill), but for festivals I do the wrap cross in my huge piece of cloth. Even Maya-slinging mamas give me looks with my orange and yellow batik cloth!

Now that I can walk quickly again (pregnancy, 96 hours of wondrous labor plus transition, and the icky c-section took their toll on my poor hips) I love just breezing by the women struggling with their strollers or baby-buckets.

For the record, both DH and I tried to carry the baby-bucket once. I couldn't even get it out of the car without jostling Eamon so much if he hadn't been strapped in he would have been on the seat, and my big strapping strong hubby complained about the weight of baby+carseat. Neither of us tried it again. I guess we're lucky b/c even if he's asleep, when we take him out and start walking he goes back to sleep quickly (in arms or in sling) unless he's hungry, and I don't want him to sleep through hunger so that's OK too.

I love slinging and wrapping.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm getting a lot of use out of my sling with this baby -- with each one, I've learned more about how to carry. This is the first who hasn't been born in the winter, and I always take her out of her carseat when I'm going somewhere instead of carrying it in. So much hassle to carry in the carseat, but in the winter when it's chilly or blizzardy it's just too awkward for me to get a baby properly bundled to go out in the cold. If it were somewhere that I couldn't leave my carseat, like at a mall, I would unbundle and rebundle the baby, but at someone's home I would bring the baby in in the carseat. Or if I were going outside for a while, I would carry the baby. I was at a friend's home last week and came in carrying Miriam, she commented that I didn't have a carseat that day (meaning at all, in the car), I explained nope, I just carried her in and the seat was still in the car. That's one thing I worry about -- people assuming I don't have a carseat because I have such a young baby who I'm not carting around in one. I feel so badly for moms who don't know about slings, life must be so awkward. At church last week, there must have been 7 strollers in the aisle, and we're not a big congregation. However, our building is small, and two other congregations meet at overlapping times in our building, they really make the hall a nightmare to navigate. I think also that many of the women there feel foiled by the sling, because they never have an opportunity to offer to hold her. I was at a gathering last night, it was a dessert thing, and I showed up late. A friend (grandma aged) offered to hold Miriam so I could eat. I smiled and held up both hands, everyone laughed and said things about how organized I was and that I had my hands free. But very rarely do moms ask for advice, where I got the sling, etc. I offer to lend them my other slings, but most decline. Sigh. I can't do much more than that.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

User Tag List