alone in a sea of strollers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 09-16-2004, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i showed up at our first baby & me yoga class yesterday and was shocked to see that all the other moms had brought their babies in strollers or car seats. i was the lone slinger. i just couldn't understand, why bring a stroller to a class wheere baby will be participating? i can maybe see if baby is asleep when you arrive leaving him in the car seat, maybe even putting the car seat into the stroller frame, but that couldn't account for all 16 other babies. and even if they don't have a baby wearing device, it was no more than 100 yards from the furthest parking spot to the front door, could you not carry your baby????? and don't get me started on the space wasted to park 15 strollers. a friend of mine who was also in the class but came late said she was just in such a hurry she just grabbed the car seat and ran, but next week plans to put him in the snugli. it will be interesting to see if any others do.
#2 of 43 Old 09-16-2004, 01:15 PM

I so hope you inspired some of the others!! Maybe you'll be the start of great change! Would the instructor encourage others to try wearing their baby, often if the "teacher says" people will do it KWIM?
I'm actually looking forward to continuing my tai chi class after babe comes because I CAN wear him/her.
Have fun in your class!
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#3 of 43 Old 09-16-2004, 01:31 PM

Ya know it's funny because I teach mom and baby yoga and I slinging my baby but most days when I go in to teach I carry her in, in her carseat. :

Yesterday I actually had a moment of internal conflict in the car. She was awake and content and I thought...I *should* take her out of her seat and carry her in, in her sling but the reality is that I need to set up for class and although I'm learning to do lots with her in the sling...it makes it a lot harder.

So I carried her in, in the seat and put her next to one of my friends who was sitting in the reception area. She was perfectly content and smiling like crazy while mama ran around laying out mats etc.

To make up for my carseat use (my babywearing penance :LOL) I always talk about slinging, model my sling etc. (But luckily I have a class of slingin' mamas so it ends up being more of a discussion of which slings work best and all of passing slings back and forth to try.)

The same thing sometimes happens when I go to the grocery store. I *want* to wear her in the sling so everyone will see it (we always gets LOTS of comments on how happy and content she is) but I've decided that I don't want to sling for the benefit of education/activism if it's not in the best interest of my dd in that moment.

So...sometimes we start out in the grocery store with her in the carseat attached to the carriage...but at some point she always gets squirmy and I jump at the chance to take her out and sling her.

Keep slingin' mama! There are lots of mamas who just don't realize that there are options other than strollers and carseats!

~Erin
#4 of 43 Old 09-16-2004, 10:34 PM

I definitely agree w/ pp about some mamas just not knowing there are more options. The carriers like Snuggli and Bjorn cause backaches after as while and a lot of mamas don't want to be bothered w/ all the straps and buckles and what have you. I know that everytime I wear DS, someone always says, "I wish they had that when my kids were babies." People just don't know how endless their options are. I grab every chance I get to sling DS, I it and I the attention I get for it. Keep slingin' Mama... You're educationg more and more

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#5 of 43 Old 09-16-2004, 11:16 PM

Boy, I had a moment like this today. I went to the Youth Musseum downtown here and there is a "stroller parking" lot in the front lobby and I swear there were 1,000 strollers there. And one lady with a Bjorn inside, and me and one other slingin' mama. Keep in mind I live in the Phoenix area - public transportation is a completely foreign concept here, and NO ONE walks anywhere. Everyone drives, even to the mailbox, it seems. Anyway, the point is that I know that all those strollers came from the car outside into the museum, about 30 feet if that. It's so silly! There is definitely a time and place where a stroller is useful, but that ain't it, folks. I made a point of putting my son in the sling on my way out of the museum to the car although truthfully it would have been easier to just carry him, but I wanted all those mamas to see what they were missing! BTW, I still sling my son for every grocery store trip and every mall visit and everywhere in general, actually, because it is what he prefers. I assume someday he won't want to be carried anymore, I will miss it very dearly and I will carry him until we both wish otherwise.
#6 of 43 Old 09-16-2004, 11:50 PM

I went into the kmart tonight and felt like everyone I passed was staring at me. Why oh why does no one else think to carry the baby?! I saw several teeny newborns in the icky store shopping carts with buckets on top, I kept thinking what are those babies picking up? In the baby section I ran into a woman who was, gasp, actually holding her baby. She was trying to put a stroller box into her cart, with one hand! I said, "wow, you need your hands, you should get a sling"! She did ask where she could find such a thing. I hate being stared at!!!!! But atleast James Henry is happy.
#7 of 43 Old 09-17-2004, 12:08 AM

i've actually made it a point to go out just about every day to the mall or to the park with ds in his sling, just so the other stroller mommas can see me with ds. some smile, some look at me like i'm crazy, and some seem to make a point of ignoring me (probably just me being paranoid, but who knows).

but sometimes they come up to me and ask me where i got the sling and how do i put it on (it's a wrap) and is it comfortable? and a mini-babywearing lesson ensues. those are the days that make me happy.

keep slinging...they'll see how happy the two of you are being attached to each other, and eventually, it'll catch on.

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!
#8 of 43 Old 09-17-2004, 07:30 AM

I had the same experience the first time I went to my moms & baby yoga class. I carried DD in her sling, and everyone else came in with the carrier or stroller! I was very surprised!

I think most of the mamas there had honestly never heard of a sling. None of them asked me about it ( very mainstream bunch), but I do regularly get questions when we're out and about.
#9 of 43 Old 09-17-2004, 09:54 AM

I have never, ever seen another slingin' mama in this city. Not once - even at the crunchier stores I shop it. It's always strollers, strollers everywhere. I have been asked by a few women if it's comfortable and how much it cost, though.

We do own a stroller, but I only use it when we're going to be doing some serious walking/shopping and I'll have several bags to deal with. I absolutely do not understand making the effort to get the stroller out for a 30 foot walk to the door! What is that? My stroller is WAY more hassle than the sling. By far. It's a pain in the rear, so I only get it out if it's really, really worth it to do so.
#10 of 43 Old 09-17-2004, 10:51 AM

Hey Mrs Dimples!

I live in PHX too and was going to write about the exact same thing. I went to the youth museum (Mesa) a couple of weeks ago with ds in the sling and as we walked in my friend actually said something about it being so easy for mye to just walk past the stroller parking and go in. Well, when I was there there were like 50 Bjorns. Everyone was staring at ds and I. It was kinda fun... I even had a few questions. My point is that when I was leaving I passed another slingin Mama! It was so cool, although I couldn't speak with her she looked to be wearing a pouch of some sort. I bet those Bjorn Mamas were really shocked to see 2 slings right after each other, they really had no idea there were even such things available.
#11 of 43 Old 09-17-2004, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmama
I've decided that I don't want to sling for the benefit of education/activism if it's not in the best interest of my dd in that moment.
~Erin
i am so with you on this statement. i didn't have a "baby bucket" type car seat with my son so i slung him evereywhere. with my daughter, i do have this type of carseat and they are totally convenient in some situations. i love slinging but if my ds is sleeping or totally comfy, i really don't wanna take her out to run into the grocery store, etc. i almost feel guilty about this.
#12 of 43 Old 09-17-2004, 11:33 PM

I would be happy seeing *any type* of baby carrier even the mainstream ones just so moms (or dads) are holding the baby. I have 3 mainstream carriers I also loan out to new moms who are mainstream just to get them used to the idea of wearing a baby instead of car seat or swing when at home, some spend so much time in a swing because of the motion when sometimes the mom could provide that same motion. So I give the regular carriers to them along with a sling and usually they like the slings better. Having the regular carriers to compare with the sling they can see how big of difference it is without all the buckles and how baby is happier all rolled up. So the regular carriers are great stepping stones for some who wouldn't go right to a sling type carrier.

Mama to 5 boys, 1 girl, and 2 dogs!
I'm getting sick of this world, I may need to live on a commune some where! I miss nursing!!!
#13 of 43 Old 09-18-2004, 12:13 AM

ITA, with one of the pp's...I honestly think a lot of people don't know they're out there. I get this all the time, again (twice) today-ds and I were grocery shopping...I had him in a wrap, hip carry and two different people came up to me and said, "wow, that's a great idea..where did you come up with that?" As if I alone invented it (I wish I could take credit ).
Maybe you will inspire them, and you will see more in the future.
#14 of 43 Old 09-18-2004, 01:33 AM

we live in portland oregon and everytime we go out my dh and i sling our kiddos one is 3m the other 6m. (we care for medically fragile/drug affected babys) everyone always stares. it gets old after a while but i can say that most of the babies weve had our better because of slingin. hands down. if they are having withdrawal we put them in the sling and they immediately stop.

i love slings and so does my husband
#15 of 43 Old 09-18-2004, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUCCMom
i showed up at our first baby & me yoga class yesterday and was shocked to see that all the other moms had brought their babies in strollers or car seats. i was the lone slinger. i just couldn't understand, why bring a stroller to a class wheere baby will be participating?
Well, I simply think that since we US/western consumers mainly associate babies with strollers (and it's such a major purchase) people want to use theirs. If we were a slinging culture, then slings would be the norm.

I have a 2nd and am not "shortchanging" this one... this wee one is being held/carried/slung as much as her High Need brother was. And she's not high need. From all the reading I've done, I * know * that babies benefit tremendously from the movement provided by being held and carried in-arms.

I want her to accept the horrible car seat (she cries in it sometimes when the car stops moving) for car drives (and not cry) and trust that when the car stops, I'll pick her up. If she's asleep, like Dharmama said, I will carry her in asleep. I think that's perfecty OK.

But more often, she is wide awake. I'll take the carseat, carseat stroller in, no baby inside (diaper bag, my fanny pack, our snack bags and stuff is in the basket) and carry her in my OTSBH sling.

And sometimes I wonder if people think I'm weird b/c I choose to sling my baby and push an empty stroller. But the stroller does come in handy if I have to use the restroom and to carry all the stuff I do.

Thank goodness for my sling, it makes it so easy! But I have often carried her in-arms at home around the house, and that's a pain in the butt b/c my arms start to hurt.

If I was those moms, and didn't have a sling, and had a typical BJORN... I can't see the average new mom making the mental leap of carrying baby in Bjorn and pushing empty stroller. It makes no sense. Instead, they "use" the stroller. That means the baby rides in it.

I am consciously choosing to carry/sling her because of the known benefits ( read The Vital Touch by Sharon Heller, PhD or Sensory Secrets: How to Jump Start Learning in Children

I think if these mothers were more informed, they might as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeydvixen
it gets old after a while but i can say that most of the babies weve had our better because of slingin. hands down.
ITA

It does get old after awhile. Sometimes I do wish I didn't know what I know, be blissfully clueless and use the stroller "more" like new moms do. But I don't, because I KNOW it's helping my baby in so many ways. I go the extra mile, because she's worth it!

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#16 of 43 Old 09-18-2004, 01:49 PM

#17 of 43 Old 09-19-2004, 06:38 AM
Banned

i wear my DD in the sling all I can. I have nightmares cause of what my b*tchqueen mother did when ODD was in the hospital cause she swallowed dimes. Instead of making herself known to me when she showed up, she came up behind me, pulled my ODD out of the kindersling I was wearing and took off with her down the hall. like, WTF??? She was MY child not hers and she does that for no reason? The nurses knew where I was (gift shop) and I was trying to keep ODD happy while we waited for her operation. Then again, my mother is psycho.

So, replacing the kindersling was the first thing I did when I got pregnant with DS. My old roomie got both the Mayawrap and Mayapouch for me and DP but he doesn't trust the pouch for stability. My mayawrap is so much deaper than the kindersling and so much easier to tuck DS and now DD in close to me that if some arse were to do that to me again, it would be a lot harder to pull the DC in question out of the sling even if it was DS they were going after.

So, even though it takes me an extra minute or two, I always put DD in the sling. I know where she is. Strangers can't just gawk at her. I can feel her breathe and I can cuddle her and nurse her without skipping a beat.

Besides, if it wasn't law that kids had to ride in car seats in the car, I'd be using the sling instead. Having her that close to me all the time just makes sense.
#18 of 43 Old 09-19-2004, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

ODD?
#19 of 43 Old 09-19-2004, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUCCMom
ODD?
I think it's older dear daughter. just a guess though

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

#20 of 43 Old 09-19-2004, 02:53 PM
Banned

Older, other... the one I'm not raising.
#21 of 43 Old 09-19-2004, 04:57 PM

To be fair...sometimes there is a reason a mama is pushing her baby in a stroller instead of wearing him/her...from health reasons to ignorance (not the bad kind...just, not knowing about slings) to just not WANTING to...which bothers me but I'm thinking of the whole picture here...so, yes, all you awesome slinging mamas, keep on slingin'!
I have several baby carriers, a carseat, and a stroller...and half the time my little one is only content in my arms, so I'll be wearing a sling, but carrying Rowan. :LOL
Other times, he really likes being in the stroller, loves gazing up at me or DH while playing with a toy. We don't just throw him in the stroller and ignore him, KWIM? We talk to him, lean in close and involve him in whatever we are doing. Then when he gets squirmy we're right there, taking him out to hold him or sling him.
And even with my Hotsling, which I love, I HAVE to put him down to do some things, like cooking on a hot stove, etc. And my back still hurts sometimes, even with my slings. :

I rarely see slinging mamas here as well (except in yoga class! ) and I do like carrying Rowan in the sling when we're at the store or mall or whatever. But I have to go with what Rowan is comfortable with.
Like Erin said, I dont want to sling my baby for education or activism if it's not in my son's best interest at the time.
Anyway, just some thoughts. Ramble ramble...
#22 of 43 Old 09-19-2004, 05:05 PM
Banned

Renae... Our kids have the same name! DD is Rowan!

I too use a stroller, mainly because of the instability in my hips. But I prefer slinging even then.
#23 of 43 Old 09-20-2004, 01:15 AM

This reminds me of a place near Chicago . . .it's a cute (but somewhat small) children's museum. I have seen SO many moms pusing their newborns in huge strollers or awkwardly carrying around carseats. AP stuff aside, it really looks inconvenient in that situation!

I got my sister an AAFP and when she wore it on a trip to said museum, tons of moms came up and asked her about it. No one said a word about my MNM Pea in a Pod . . .I thought it was 'cause DD was a toddler (my sis had a newborn then) but my sister said it's because the KKAFP looks nicer. Maybe, but I much prefer my hemp! I do think it's just that babywearing doesn't occur to people sometimes. (I did spot a Maya at Target yesterday!)

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#24 of 43 Old 09-20-2004, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renae
To be fair...sometimes there is a reason a mama is pushing her baby in a stroller instead of wearing him/her...from health reasons to ignorance (not the bad kind...just, not knowing about slings) to just not WANTING to...which bothers me but I'm thinking of the whole picture here...

I totally agree. That's why I don't get too angry/upset/self-righteous about not seeing more babywearing.

If it wasn't for my first High Need baby (who I carried in arms the first 3 months because it felt wrong to put him down to hear him cry... I couldn't figure out my OTSBH because I didn't have the instructional video : ) I would have NOT became the sling goddess :LOL I am today. So I am grateful for the experience. THEN I read some books that explained to me that it helps their development so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius
I have seen SO many moms pusing their newborns in huge strollers or awkwardly carrying around carseats. AP stuff aside, it really looks inconvenient in that situation!
That just might a case of "monkey see, monkey do." I was guilty of that (hand-carrying my baby in the car seat) with the first. Of course it was awkward but I thought carrying him my arms would be more so. Later on, my elbows (OUCH!) started to hurt... and I stopped because an AP mama-friend warned me about that (as I was starting to feel it.)

I think if new mothers saw MORE women carrying their babies, they would do it too.

But today I still see new mommies carrying their babies in car seats.... meanwhile, I breeze in with my babe in sling and preschooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renae
I got my sister an AAFP and when she wore it on a trip to said museum, tons of moms came up and asked her about it. No one said a word about my MNM Pea in a Pod . . .I thought it was 'cause DD was a toddler (my sis had a newborn then) but my sister said it's because the KKAFP looks nicer. Maybe, but I much prefer my hemp! I do think it's just that babywearing doesn't occur to people sometimes. (I did spot a Maya at Target yesterday!)
I'm kinda new to the "newer" sling abbreviations, please explain!

AAFP ?
MNM ?
KKAFP ? (Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch?) OK got that one. :LOL

T Maybe we need a new thread in babywearing, explaining the abbreviations. :

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#25 of 43 Old 09-20-2004, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanibani
I'm kinda new to the "newer" sling abbreviations, please explain!

AAFP ?
MNM ?
KKAFP ? (Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch?) OK got that one. :LOL

T Maybe we need a new thread in babywearing, explaining the abbreviations. :
I agree.

I don't get upset with the mamas when I see them toting their babies in carseats and pushing them in strollers, but I do admit, I sometimes feel bad for the babe. So often I see the babes in the stroller and no one is interacting with them. It's like their disconnected from their family I know that some moms aren't aware of babywearing and that some can't babywear for whatever reasons, it's the parents that ignore their kids that bother me.

#26 of 43 Old 09-20-2004, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had this experience when I took a class called Transitions to Motherhood offered at the hospital. It was a group for new moms to meet and make friends and talk. It was located downtown (Chicago) and I didn't want to drive because I'd spend forever finding parking or pay a ton for it. So I slung her every time, which was very easy since she was only about 12 lbs at the time. Everyone else came in huge "travel systems" and when a bunch of us would go out to lunch together afterwards, it was a nightmare finding a place to eat with 6 strollers, 7 moms, and 7 babies. The only time I was envious was when they could put their babies down and eat a little more freely. But once the group leader said something to the effect of "don't you all wish you could use a carrier like that" implying that a lot of babies weren't comfortable in them. Huh? Anyway, I'm not antistroller (I admit to having three), but I'm anti-letting baby cry and fuss in stroller when they don't want to be in one. And I don't understand why people are wedded to using their stroller even when it's really inconvenient. Especially with newborns--they're so light! I understand wanting to not have a baby on you 24/7, it's nice to have more freedom of movement sometimes, but when they're little, slinging is so easy. (And when they're big, I still prefer slinging sometimes to lugging a stroller or trying to maneuver it through a store.)

Beth
dd Annika 8.9.03
#27 of 43 Old 09-20-2004, 04:18 PM

Haha, thing is, my babe gets fussy in ALL SORTS of carriers, including my arms. Sometimes a sling gets a big ol' NO from Rowan, sometimes only my arms will do.
And yes, I'm anti letting baby fuss & cry in a stroller when obviously he wants to be held!! A "friend" of mine actually dared to tell me "your baby's cries don't ALWAYS mean "mom", so you should just let him fuss sometimes"
When do my tiny baby's cries NOT mean "mom"?? Or "dad"...or somebody, please attend to me!"??
But that's a tangent and this friend and I don't spend a lot of time together anymore...she openly wondered why i have to carry my baby all the time!!
She's childless, btw...and honestly, I hope she stays that way until she grows up. a LOT.
The way I do it is, I use what's convenient and makes everybody happy, and it works out.
I almost always sling him for LLL meetings, unless he's fallen asleep in his carseat. At yoga (the class Erin was talking about, incidentally ) I usually keep him in his carseat because either he's been sleeping or because I have to check people in the first 15 min so he sits quietly and watches the parade of people while he wakes up and mama "works".
LLL meetings & yoga are about the only times I see a whole bunch of slinging mamas in one place.
#28 of 43 Old 09-20-2004, 05:55 PM

Someone gave me a stroller as a shower gift, but I keep it in the garage. I can't imagine having to lug that thing around everywhere! Why do people think they are so convenient?!

Single mom of 2 boys
#29 of 43 Old 09-21-2004, 12:21 AM

Hi all!
I just wanted to suggest to those of you that want to cook while slinging baby try a Kozy or an Ergo.
I have been wearing dd on my back in my Kozy lately and she is silent as a church mouse! I chop, cook, wash dishes etc!
She's letting me hold her there for longer and longer!
I love it!
My dd is like pp......sometimes she would fuss in the sling and I thought there was something wrong with me.
She is one for action though so most of the time if I'm moving she's happy.
#30 of 43 Old 09-21-2004, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I just wanted to suggest to those of you that want to cook while slinging baby or even attend the yoga class to try a Kozy or a Podegi.
I think I'm about 1/2 way through the six week wait for my Kozy slot. (Trying not to think about it so it will just hurry up and get here :LOL)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page