do you use a stroller at all? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 10-03-2004, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's a question I've never found a solution to, and all of you stroller-less mamas should be able to help!

I have NEVER learned how to pack lightly. Never. Once we switched to cloth diapers, this became an even bigger nightmare. Even though my DD is now out of diapers, this is still an issue. Though I nursed my DD until recently (she was 28 months when I weaned her), we still brought at least one cup of water and snacks. In case we went out to eat, we brought books and some drawing materials. The list goes on.

Anyway, how the heck do you carry anything at all (even if we just limit the list to ONLY cloth dipes) and wear your baby w/o bringing a stroller to carry things??? Let me know your secrets!!!! (I guess if you EC, then that simplifies things, too, but we pro'ly won't be doing that with #2!)

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#32 of 42 Old 10-03-2004, 01:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Elena, I admire you. You're one of those moms who is so organized and always has snacks and water and everything. I'm lucky if I have a diaper in the car. I usually just leave everything in the car and figure I'll go back there to get a diaper if I need it. When I go to playgroup, I will actually get things together and pack my cooler bag--it's a good sized one. So I might throw a couple diapers and an extra cover or maybe two AIOs, plus our food and bags for diapers and trash. I might remember wipes, I might not. I don't take cloth wipes out. Half the time I forget wipes and I just use a napkin and water. Even with cloth, I don't change as frequently when we are out.

Anyway, if I am bringing diapers and wipes, I throw them in a canvas bag with my water bottle and camera, and sling it over the other shoulder.

This past summer we were going to concerts in the park and had to park a little ways away from the park and carry everything. One night I had my cooler bag and two collapsible chairs hung over one shoulder, my baby in the sling on the other shoulder, and I picked up 5 year old up and carried her under my arm for awhile because she was walking so slowly. Normally I just travel very lightly.

But now that my daughter is older, it's getting harder unless she is sleepy. She is going to be 1 on Tuesday and is about 19 lbs and over 30" long. When she starts twisting and really trying to get out, I end up taking her out and letting her get down, but she can't walk yet. She gets so dirty lately from crawling all over the place. I guess it wouldn't be any easier in a stroller other than she can be strapped in the jogger stroller, but she'd cry and be unhappy so that wouldn't work either.

I do enjoy using the jogger stroller for walks. I started using the backpack and I've decided with the uneven terrain I end up walking on, and the hills, it's easier on my knees and I get a better workout if I use the stroller.
#33 of 42 Old 10-03-2004, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius
how the heck do you carry anything at all (even if we just limit the list to ONLY cloth dipes) and wear your baby w/o bringing a stroller to carry things??? Let me know your secrets!!!! (I guess if you EC, then that simplifies things, too, but we pro'ly won't be doing that with #2!)
I am that way with packing - the best thing I have found is the Petunia Pickle Bottom backpack - I can fit just about everything in it (cloth diapers, playsilks, toys, bottles, food, 2 changes of clothing, a blanket, hat, sweater - get the idea? :LOL) with a little extra room for my wallet and makeup bag - and it rides nicely on my back as Isabel is snuggly on my front.
#34 of 42 Old 10-03-2004, 02:19 AM

In regards to packing, I have found that less is more. If I am using a front or hip carrier, I use a simple backpack with a cup, a snack, CDs, washclothes, a book, a car and maybe flashcards. It is not too much or to bad.

I use a small shoulder bag for back carries, but I want to get on of those one strap backpacks and wear it on the front or wear it loose and put it over DS.

But less is really more. I pack lightly. I never end up needing all the crap I bring. A pen suffice for art fun as he can draw on any napkin, trash paper or whatever. I try to be his toy or let the world be his toy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgainesmama
IME, most people without major back problems who are unable to carry their kids for long walks often just need a bit of help w/their carriers -- a tweaking of sholder placement or fabric spread.
In regard to this, I was with a very kind, smart MDC Mama today who stopped a mama and helped her readjust her carrier so it would be comfortable. How kind! And helpful to that mama who may have gave up her carrier due to comfort. She told me another story about it, and said the mother was very happy it was so much more comfortable when worn correctly. So if it is NOT comfortable, something might be wrong

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#35 of 42 Old 10-03-2004, 04:13 AM

We don't use strollers, either I carry my kids or they walk. Ds is 2 and still goes in his sling if we are out walking around a long distance and he is tired. We have a great backpack that ds rides in when we hike. Dd can hike for miles so she is a trooper as far as walking. When we are around town or at the park, it is so much easier for me to fold the sling and keep it is in my pack than to lug around a stroller or baby backpack. I agree that less is more as far as packing the diaper bag, I make sure to bring water and a snack wherever I go, as well as a few old cloth diapers for cleaning up any muddy hands, yogurt spills, etc. I do have the tendency to try to over pack, you know how it goes, "raincoats in case it rains, warm coats in case the temp drops, sun hats, change of clothes in case they get wet..." and I don't end up using any of it.
#36 of 42 Old 10-03-2004, 01:04 PM

T T T
Quote:
Originally Posted by art4babies
the best thing I have found is the Petunia Pickle Bottom backpack - I can fit just about everything in it (cloth diapers, playsilks, toys, bottles, food, 2 changes of clothing, a blanket, hat, sweater - get the idea? :LOL) with a little extra room for my wallet and makeup bag - and it rides nicely on my back as Isabel is snuggly on my front.
Holy cow.

I love the look of Petunia Pickle Bottom - Boxy Backpack, but it's $149 or something and I was worried about having to set it down on the FILTHY floor (park, preschool, asphalt parking lot) and having it get dirty. Then I'd be so I didn't want a diaper bag that I would get to anal about.

So that's why I bought this one - Skip Hop for $56. I really luv it 'cause I don't have to worry about dirt/stains (there is some paint on it from preschool - see?)

My other problem with is is that I use a ring sling. It's kinda difficult to use it as a backpack with a ring sling. Though I could just switch it to 1 shoulder use.

Hmmmm, you are making me reconsider the PPB! (Pardon me while I whine....) but it's $150+!!! I could afford it, but it's so much dang money for a diaper bag. I know it's beautiful, but it's so much dang money for a diaper bag.

I think we have to start a thread on this... how people combine babywearing and diaper bags.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#37 of 42 Old 10-03-2004, 01:48 PM

i agree about the overpacking issue, and i think if i had a car i would never ever use the stroller. but since most days when i leave the house i'm out and about for 4-5 hours, all of it walking, i can't lug around the diapers and wipes and snacks and drinks and books and wallet and keys and cellphone and something to gnaw on for teething AND my 22 pound 17 month old daughter without a stroller. and honestly, she likes to wiggle and lounge and change position and point and bounce and all kinds of things that she can do in the stroller. But strapped to me non-stop for 5 hours is too much for my curious kid, and we can walk holding hands only sometimes. she's not very good at it yet

if i were running errands here and there with a car, i could and would never use a stroller; i find the stroller a PITA, personally. as it is i have to plan my stroller trips by choosing the route with the elevators at subway stops, or which routes use the big busses that allow me in the doors without folding the stroller....
#38 of 42 Old 10-03-2004, 02:10 PM

I use a sling & stroller equally.

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#39 of 42 Old 10-03-2004, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanibani
T T T

Holy cow.

I love the look of Petunia Pickle Bottom - Boxy Backpack, but it's $149 or something and I was worried about having to set it down on the FILTHY floor (park, preschool, asphalt parking lot) and having it get dirty. Then I'd be so I didn't want a diaper bag that I would get to anal about.
LOL, that is my exact bag... I love it! I can cram a ton into it too..

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#40 of 42 Old 10-03-2004, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanibani
T T T

Holy cow.

My other problem with is is that I use a ring sling. It's kinda difficult to use it as a backpack with a ring sling. Though I could just switch it to 1 shoulder use.

Hmmmm, you are making me reconsider the PPB! (Pardon me while I whine....) but it's $150+!!! I could afford it, but it's so much dang money for a diaper bag. I know it's beautiful, but it's so much dang money for a diaper bag.

I think we have to start a thread on this... how people combine babywearing and diaper bags.
I have the Avacado Roll, and YES, I cringe when my DH throws it in the car or sets it on the driveway. However, you can use it as a single strap OR backpack (it has both) and you can get them on eBay for a little cheaper, say $90 or something.
#41 of 42 Old 10-03-2004, 08:39 PM

I have a cheap tiny back pack type bag from Old Navy that I use as a diaper bag (it is probably like 12"x8"). We pack lightly, a few CD's a change of pants, some washcloths, a bottle of water, a couple apples etc. I just cram everything in there.

We do EC so once baby is out of diapers it cuts down on the load some. But still, you have misses at times so instead of carrying diapers we will carry a couple changes of undies and pants (just in case) so it doesn't save us much room.

I have always carried the very minimal needed. Sometimes if we will be out for a while I will throw some extra stuff in the car (and that is always where my purse stays). I just figure that these little guys don't really need a whole lot. A few diapers and a snack for the older kids is pretty much all we ever need.

About carrying older children.

I have 2 pinched nerves in my back, it would be impossible for me to use a one shoulder sling for any period of time with a heavier kid (over like 15lbs). A good 2 shoulder carry is a MUST if you don't use a stroller, like us.

Also like I said before, we go out a lot as a family, so dh will carry dd while I carry the baby (and we have done it several times already in the past 2 weeks). Though I have talked with many moms who carry their toddler on their back and baby on the front. And that is what I would do too if need be (despite my back, which is SO tired every night).

Kelley, wife to Charlie, SAHM to Xian (8) Piper (7) Arah (4) Ever (2) Thrace (5.09)
: : : : : EC:
#42 of 42 Old 10-03-2004, 08:59 PM

On the original question :
We use a stroller sometimes. When my DD was little she hated the sling - she likes to be in it very little now - and then it's only around the house. When we are out and about we use the backpack carrier most often. If we're going for an extended walk we take a stroller.

As for the packing: I tend to use a regular backpack - it's easier to carry for me - I have a small bag that I take on short trips when I'm using the backpack carrier.

What's in the diaperbag? - Diapers, wipes, two changes of clothes, cups, snack, wallet, keys, cellphone, small towel for clean up, butt balm, bag for wet dipes, the toy chosen for the trip.

Myr: wife to John 8/98 and mommy to Willow 06/03, Rowan 04/07 and Linden 02/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page