do you use a stroller at all? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 09-24-2004, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my ds is 3.5 months and I carry him primarily in a mayawrap although i sometimes use a sari for a wrap (thanks mamatoto!). we recently got a kelty convertible backpack/stroller as a gift and we've used it a few times. i don't like having him in a stroller, but as we don't have a car it's the best way i've found to get to the food coop and back with all the groceries without really taxing my body. i put most of the groceries in the compartment under him. ds seems to enjoy it well enough. he likes looking around at things. my dh thinks it's fine once in a while as long as we don't think of the stroller as the first option.

i was wondering if other babywearing mamas use strollers from time to time. how do you decide when to use it and when to use a sling?
#2 of 42 Old 09-24-2004, 05:49 PM

we use ours eveyonce in a while. I think it is easier to put her in a sling than to push her. DH does not wear the sling so he uses the stroller if he takes DD for a walk without me!

I don't like the bulkyness of the stroller.

You could always put your baby in the sling and groceries in the stroller on the way home. I often times have the sling in the bottom of the stroller incase she gets antsy.

Jenn P
#3 of 42 Old 09-24-2004, 05:57 PM

I'm planing on going on an all day outing with dd2 (will be 1 1/2 months at the time). it's like a fesival... lots of shops, ect. it's a long day i'm taking her stroller with us but i will mainly be using it as a changing table and shopping cart b/c i plan for her to be in my sling 90% of the time depending also on the weather... if it's 80+ that day she will prolly be in the stroller a little more often just b/c she won't get over heated. But if it's chilly that day she will definatly be in the sling...
#4 of 42 Old 09-24-2004, 06:06 PM

I use one occasionally- either stroller or a wagon. But it's usually for my older kids, rather than the baby.

It really depends on where we're going and how long we'll be there. For longer outings that require me to bring along a big bag or a lunch, I'll sometimes bring the stroller. With just one baby, I think that the sling is easiest. But with 3 kids under 5 and their assorted stuff, sometimes a stroller or wagon is better. I've had enough outings where I end up carrying 2 or 3 kids to the car that I generally keep the stroller in the back of the van "just in case."

I'll also add that for longer outings, I prefer a backpack or wrap to the sling, even for small babies. After a few hours, my arm starts to go numb with the baby in the sling.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#5 of 42 Old 09-24-2004, 06:11 PM

I have a chariot brand stroller that is also a bike trailer. I wore both of my guys for the first 6 months. With my first guy I was walking about 10 kilometers a day. I dont drive so I also had to carry grocery bags with me , so I purchased the stroller. I love both modes of transportation. With my second, during my pregnancy I injured a disk in my lower back, and had to use the stroller all of the time for my then 18 month old.I carried my second boy exclusively for his first 6 months. Now that he is a year old , I use a mix of the sling,backpack, the wagon and the stroller. Its nice to have a mode of transportation that my 3 year old can hop into if we have been dawdling too much and need to speed up!I always bring the sling with me, and never bring the stroller when there are crowds because it is too cumbersome. Its nice sometimes to give my body the break. Doesnt change my love for babywearing though.

:
#6 of 42 Old 09-24-2004, 06:12 PM

I use a stroller quite often. Ds is 4 (almost 5) and dd 2 1/2. For Angelo due 10/25/04 we will be using a pouch but sometimes for changing and sleeping I will still use the stroller. It is a double so we will have to negotiate with ds and dd to take turns. I think as long as your ds is comfortable, that is what is important.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#7 of 42 Old 09-25-2004, 06:29 PM

DD usually walks or is in the stroller now (she's 2.5 years). But, when she was younger, I would decide if I "needed" the stroller. When we went to the mall, the stroller came in handy for purchases . . .even if DD wasn't in it. I also think about how crowded a space will be. If it were crowded/narrow, I used a sling.

Also, it's not like you need to have one OR the other. I used to bring my sling everywhere. So, on the same trip, DD might ride in the stroller and the sling.

That said, I don't think you need to worry about this . . .as long as your child is happy, you made the right choice!!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#8 of 42 Old 09-27-2004, 07:03 PM

I try to use a stroller when we're out for a long time, usually the mall. My back hurts if I carry DD for too long. But we rarely go to the mall, so the stroller is hardly used. If I had known this before DD was born, I wouldn't have bought such an expensive stroller! (Peg Perego P3)
#9 of 42 Old 09-27-2004, 08:12 PM

I plan on wearing my baby, but I will be also using a jog stroller - well, because I need my outdoor excercise. Plus, with the state of my back, who knows long long I will be able to safely carry baby.
#10 of 42 Old 09-27-2004, 08:27 PM

I use our stroller from time to time. If I am going to the mall and plan on spending a few hours I will bring my pouch and my stroller and go from there. Elle usually decides if she wants to be in the pouch or not. Yesterday we were at Kohls and she was in her pouch but she kept bobbing up and down to get out so I went outside to the car and got the stroller and she was much happier which is odd for her because she LOVES her pouch!! It is so much eaiser for me though to have her in the pouch especially when I am making quick trips into neumerous stores!!! I remember how awful it was before I bought my first pouch to have to lug that stroller everywhere we went!! I feel so free now
Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

#11 of 42 Old 09-27-2004, 09:10 PM

I've never usrd one, they're just so bulky, but I on't think there's anything wrong with using it if it makes your life easier
#12 of 42 Old 09-27-2004, 09:15 PM

We have a jog stroller, but it's not used that often.
I find that wearing my little one makes it so much easier to get around- don't have to deal with escalators at the mall, or hills on the trail etc.....
I agree, I think a stroller now and then is fine, but it's just not the first option I choose.
#13 of 42 Old 09-27-2004, 10:35 PM

My 5 week old hates the stroller, just the maya for her right now , but for my 2.5 year old, we always use a stroller. When my 5 week old gets older, I'll use the jogging stroller a lot for jogs. It all depends on where we are and what we are doing.
#14 of 42 Old 09-27-2004, 10:43 PM

We have a jogger, I have used it once. My dd is only 3 weeks though, once I'm healed ( i had a c-section ) I plan on running each day with her in it.
or a few times a week at least.
#15 of 42 Old 09-27-2004, 11:16 PM

Not anymore...but I drive around with it in my trunk, just in case. I used to still use it occasionally, but my ds knew how to take the shoulder straps off and would lean forward and try to wiggle out. I would really have to fight to keep him in it, so we just stopped using it all together. Fine by me!
#16 of 42 Old 09-27-2004, 11:26 PM

I don't even own a stroller anymore. Ds1 rode in an umbrella stroller maybe 3x in his life and dd has never been in one (that I can recall). We probably won't use one with ds2 either. I am sure it is easier since we usually go out as a family so I have dh's help (like when he wore dd at the grocery store yesterday when I was wearing ds2).

Personally I have just never liked strollers, even when I was a nanny, before having kids of my own. I found them cumbersome and would carry the baby I watched in a crude front/back carrier . . . this was before I knew anything about "babywearing".

So now, despite having 2 pinched nerves in my back, I just always carry them.

I don't however see strollers as 'evil' (and if I ran you better believe I woudl have a jogging stroller) if they are used the right way. I just prefer not to use them unless I absolutely have to.

Kelley, wife to Charlie, SAHM to Xian (8) Piper (7) Arah (4) Ever (2) Thrace (5.09)
: : : : : EC:
#17 of 42 Old 09-28-2004, 01:02 AM

yep, we use both now. DS is 16 mo & 25ish pounds. We just got a nice umbrella style stroller & it is *much* better than that bohemoth Graco thing we had. SO worth the money! We used our Maya always for about the 1st 12 mos, it was so easy & quick & comfy. Now I have my Kozy & it is great when he is going to be in it for awhile. But he does like to jump in & out of the stroller, too. And one sling or the other is always in the basket of the stroller! I find DS likes to be in the stroller when he wants to have his eyes on the world & in the sling when he wants to keep his eye on me! If I get into too big a crowd, I want him up in the sling with me, I hate him being at "cigarette" level, iykwim. But when we are cruising the park or neighborhood, he still really likes riding & looking, wind in his face, yk? They just both work really well for us! Wouldn't give either up!
#18 of 42 Old 09-28-2004, 01:07 AM

we use a pram - mostly for shopping: dumping anything except the baby in
#19 of 42 Old 09-28-2004, 09:44 AM

I have an umbrella stroller that I use to carry the bags when shopping. But DD (almost 3) LOVES riding in it. She hated strollers when she was tiny. Now it's a big treat. Quinn just rides in the pouch.

My stroller is actually too short for me. Ideally, I'd like a stroller that's as light and easy as an umbrella stroller, but made for taller people and with a cup-holder. I hate not having a cup holder.

But honestly I almost NEVER use the stroller because I never go anywhere. And I pretty much onyl have been buying clothes for myself at places with shopping carts.
#20 of 42 Old 09-28-2004, 09:03 PM

I definitely believe that there's a time and place for a stroller. When I take DS for a walk around the neighborhood, I use the stroller. He's a little hotbox and when the 2 of us are getting warm from walking, whew, watch out. When we go to the mall, the stroller comes with us. Why It carries the packages, the diaper bag, whatever else I don't want to carry, and DS gets a view from the sling We also have a jogger, and on the really nice days, DH runs with DS in the jogger.
ITA~ strollers are not evil, some kids HATE to be worn and LOVE the stroller. For them, I say the stroller is a neccessity.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#21 of 42 Old 09-28-2004, 09:09 PM

took DD#2 to the park this evening, used the stroller... It was a novelty for both of us! Hannah is 20 months old and very independent, so she has no interest in the sling right now (plus she wants to do everything Maddy, 3 years old, does). So the stroller was a nice change... leisurely walk, no having do deal with Hannah walking backwards, or in circles, or examining rocks and ants. It was a pleasure!

On another related note, I saw a kid in an umbrella stroller on the weekend who *had* to be 5 or 6, and from what I could tell, he had no reason to be in there, he was folded up like an accordian, he was so big... was tempted to ask when he was ever going to learn to walk, lol (based on an earlier thread on this board).

susie
#22 of 42 Old 09-29-2004, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If I'm going to be somewhere for a long time, I bring along the stroller and the sling. My DS (2) will ride in it while I carry DD (2 months).
#23 of 42 Old 09-29-2004, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris1225
My stroller is actually too short for me. Ideally, I'd like a stroller that's as light and easy as an umbrella stroller, but made for taller people and with a cup-holder. I hate not having a cup holder.
We have a Graco Citilite stroller that basically fits that bill. It's not quite as compact as an umbrella, but it's much more compact than most full strollers, and it also has a swivel type of handle bar that can be adjusted higher or lower, plus cup holders, a basket underneath, etc. It's also nice that the seat reclines, unlike an umbrella--if DS looks sleepy I just gently recline the seat and let him nap. We only use it once a month or so but we really like it.
#24 of 42 Old 10-01-2004, 01:36 AM

I do use a stroller, most of the time, actually. We don't have a car, either, and so it's all walking for us. We carry our Ergo everywhere we go and 9 times out of 10 my daughter ends up in it. the stroller is useful for carrying groceries, though
#25 of 42 Old 10-01-2004, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achintyasamma
i was wondering if other babywearing mamas use strollers from time to time. how do you decide when to use it and when to use a sling?
1. I only use it when baby is still asleep in car seat.
2. When she wakes up, she comes out and goes into the sling (because she doesn't like to sit in the car seat for long.)
3. sometimes I do usually push an empty stroller (no baby) because the basket is FULL of my crap I have to carry (diaper bag, my small purse, our lunch bags, a jacket for DS, etc...)

I intend to wear my baby most of the time (not push her in the stroller if she is awake - only asleep).

That's what I did with my first. For the first 20 months, I carried my baby around. I only used the stroller for napping. After 20 months, he rode in the stroller more often.

T

BTW, did you notice the pic on the top of the BW forum? That's me holding Giancarlo (he was 15 months or so) in the Maya Wrap. I could have totally released my hands (should have) and I was completely comfortable carrying him.
I was pushing my Maclaren Techno stroller in NYC (empty of course) while he was nursing to sleep in the sling. I only used the stroller when he was sleepy or just so he could sleep in it. I preferred to sling.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#26 of 42 Old 10-01-2004, 03:08 PM

I have been using the stroller lots recently as I am finding that once my daughter hit 20 lbs, she was too heavy for me to carry in the ring sling. Plus the weather has been hot hot hot. She needs to be bribed with snacks and toys to stay in the stroller though.

I just got a wrap carrier and am hoping the stroller is history for a while!
#27 of 42 Old 10-01-2004, 04:39 PM

I NEVER used one (and I had a great easy to use Peg Perego and a Maclaren). In fact, I forgot where mine went. It took me forever to unearth em. And then we moved to NYC. I sling my babe everywhere, but now I love to take DS for a walk and he will fall asleep. Easier in the Maclaren than in my arms. We walk like 5 miles a day so a stroller helps. That said, if we go to the park or just to walk around for a little bit, we leave it home.

If I am going for an all day affair, then I take it. This is only after I left it at home, carried DS ALL day for many miles and realized just how heavy he and a diaper bag can be

But I will never abandon my slings--EVER

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#28 of 42 Old 10-02-2004, 11:04 PM

We've never owned a stroller. Well, not entirely true -- I got one for my baby shower and gave it away when my first was 3 months. I thought I might have to get one when Isaac was born, since Orion was only 23 months, but found that once I learned to use my wraps well I could easily and comfortably carry them both, even on walks, and my 4yo walked with us. I have occasionally used a wagon though w/the oldest child mostly for fun or when I go to the natural food store and don't want to try to juggle groceries in my hands, kids on my body and 1-2 hands to hold! If you walk a lot toting more than a diaper bag, I could see the value of a stroller or wagon.

IME, most people without major back problems who are unable to carry their kids for long walks often just need a bit of help w/their carriers -- a tweaking of sholder placement or fabric spread.

Kristi
#29 of 42 Old 10-02-2004, 11:51 PM

We have an Aprica stroller, it's really nice, I have no idea why I bought it, lol.

I find that there are times when I could use the stroller, times when it might be easier, but I don't because most of the time I feel like I am making a statement by babywearing in public. I want people to see someone doing it in their everyday life so they will learn that there is another way to be with a baby. Most of the time the idea of hauling a stroller around seems like a huge PITA.

I use the stroller for walks though. I think Stella really enjoys feeing the wind on her bare piggies and watching stuff go by. I always bring a sling though because sometimes she gets sick of it.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#30 of 42 Old 10-03-2004, 01:06 AM

We don't own a stroller. I did have one for awhile when I was living abroad but I ended up using the stroller to cart the groceries home while Gabes enjoyed the stroll from the sling on my back. I gave the stroller away when we moved and knew we would have a car again.

I guess so much depends on the temperment of your baby and what you like. It rains nearly every day in Wales so it was easier for me to wear him under my raincoat than to struggle with rain gear over a stroller. So I quickly developed a liking for the ease of no stroller travel but that is just me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page