What do you think about the ERGO carrier? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 09-26-2004, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am thinking of getting an ERGO and selling my Kelty backpack. My sil just got an ERGO and I love that it's not bulky and bumping into everyone and everything!

So tell me what you think of them please
#2 of 27 Old 09-26-2004, 11:03 AM

Hi Sarah,

I just got my Ergo a wek ago and I have used it everyday, everywhere. I can even easily get my 6 mos. old on my back in the parking lot. I will say that the straps bothered me under my arms the first day, But, it seems that they have softened up and now I don't feel them at all. Plus, I think it is really cute, I got the blue one for my little guy.
#3 of 27 Old 09-26-2004, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. I found the babywearing review too, so that is helpful.

I am also considering the Kozy and Packababy - so if anyone has anything to say about those, I'd love to hear it!

It sounds like the Ergo may be easier for my dh to use, and I definately want something that he would use also. Although the Kozy and Packababy are less expensive and I think I might like those better.
#4 of 27 Old 09-26-2004, 07:19 PM

I love mine! It was a bit pinchy at first, but it's great now.

::::: Married for ten years to my good man :. Mama to my sweet and funny boy and my lovely little girl

#5 of 27 Old 09-26-2004, 08:42 PM

I think it's a good back carrier. It could easily be used in place of a frame backpack... and as you said, it folds up nice and isn't bulky. My DH has used it a few times, as well.

I will say that I was disapointed at how poor of a frint carrier it is. Although it will work as a front carrier, I've found it virtually impossible to use as a front pack while I'm alone. The straps fall off my shoulders unless the back strap is clipped, but you can't reach the back clip on your own.

Bottom line, it's a good back carrier, comfortable for use in longer term situations. I can wear DD to the zoo or hiking for several hours with no problems or soreness.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#6 of 27 Old 09-26-2004, 11:50 PM

I love mine for front or back carrying. It is the only carrier that I can wear for long periods and not have my back hurt. However they say you can nurse while using it as a front carrier and I have yet to figure out how
#7 of 27 Old 09-27-2004, 12:10 AM

yep, I love my ergo, it's really comfortable and easy to go from front to back by myself. I have an ergoa nd a kozy ad while the kozy is prettier I think the ergo is more comfortable, I am thinking of seling the kozy, if I ever get back on the TP that is.
#8 of 27 Old 09-27-2004, 12:47 AM

Just wanted to add that I use mine mostly for back carries, but someimes I do wear it in front. In that case I slide the chest buckle up higher before I put in on, that way I can reach over my head and buckle it. It's actually pretty comfy that way, just be sure it is low enough on your hips, otherwise you'll have a baby head right in your line of sight!
#9 of 27 Old 09-27-2004, 01:06 AM

I got my ergo when ds was about 9 mos and like it very much, use it only on the back,so much more comfortable than any frame backpack(I have used several)

but I still have trouble getting it on my back sometimes and dh can't do it at all without help

the head rest straps are way too short for dh to use, though i have managed to tuck them under the shoulder straps and stick them to eachother as a way of supporting sleeping ds's head
#10 of 27 Old 09-27-2004, 01:23 AM

I luvvvvvvvv my ergo. I lay the baby on it on the passenger seat in the car, lean backwards over her, and pull the straps on. Then I heist her up on my back and off we go. It's wonderful, I use it everywhere. The sling makes my back hurt, and I feel like the frame carrier is risky (like she could fall out, mine isn't very secure) but I love having her right against my back, soaking it with drool......
#11 of 27 Old 09-27-2004, 02:29 AM

I am thinking about getting an ERGO, too, as I have heard that you can get your baby on your back yourself. Are there any other carriers that you can do this with?

We have a Baby Trekker and LOVE it (my son is 18 months old and is still comfy in it). But that requires two people...or at least, I've never been able to get my son in it and on my back by myself.
#12 of 27 Old 09-27-2004, 02:32 AM

I can also get her in and out of the kozy by myself, with some help from some furniture of course.
#13 of 27 Old 09-27-2004, 03:12 AM

I love my ERGO. I carry my 19 month old around in all the time and I am 6 mos. pregnant, LOL! I don't have any trouble getting him in and out of it by myself, but I've been using it for a long time.
#14 of 27 Old 09-27-2004, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaline
I got my ergo when ds was about 9 mos and like it very much, use it only on the back,so much more comfortable than any frame backpack(I have used several)
Well, a lone dissenter here...I liked my Ergo okay, but to me it was never anywhere near as comfortable as our Kelty frame backpack (we sprung for a high-end one, which for us has been totally worth it)...but of course it was much more practical b/c I could stick it in the diaper bag. I found that it put a lot of pressure on my shoulders, as compared to the Kelty, which transferred weight to my hips and legs. My dd was also quite used to the frame backpack at that point, and didn't like being down so low..she couldn't see as well, I think.

The great thing is that the resale value on an Ergo is excellent, so if you try it out for awhile and it doesn't work for you, you can get pretty much all of your money back. So, although it didn't turn out to be the right carrier for us, I don't regret buying it!
#15 of 27 Old 09-27-2004, 06:29 PM

I have a heavy - 23 lb and growing 9 1/2 month old. He's way too heavy for the Baby Bjorn for any length of time. Any experience with the Sutemi Pack? Any recommendations for comparable?
#16 of 27 Old 09-27-2004, 10:42 PM

I've been dying for an ERGO! I have to get one!!
#17 of 27 Old 10-01-2004, 01:39 AM

I've been using my Ergo for 10 months now. My daughter is 17 months old and STILL loves it. I find it incredible comfortable, and it's wonderful for those situations where it's not safe to let her roam around (like the laundromat). She'll yell if bored in the stroller, but never in the Ergo.

We still do both front and back carrys, but use the back more frequently.

There is a return policy so i recommend going for it and testing it around the house.
#18 of 27 Old 10-01-2004, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamabluejay
I have a heavy - 23 lb and growing 9 1/2 month old. He's way too heavy for the Baby Bjorn for any length of time. Any experience with the Sutemi Pack? Any recommendations for comparable?
I got both the Ergo and the Sutemi and returned the Sutemi. It was not comfortable for either myself or my daughter. But as all bodies are different i suggest trying them both out, unless (and this may be the deciding thing) you need to do the back carry alone. you can do it in the ergo but you need a second adult to help you do it in the sutemi.
#19 of 27 Old 10-04-2004, 05:13 PM

I've never seen or tried an ergo, but I'm very curious.

I wore my 23 lb baby on my back while standing and walking for 3 hours comfortably on saturday in my kozy carrier
#20 of 27 Old 10-04-2004, 05:58 PM

I agree with Marnie's statement that all bodies are different, so what may work for one person may not for another. I can't use my Ergo on my back, period. My arms go numb and I'm not sure if it's because I'm large breasted and it cuts off circulation or what. I am pretty comfy with it as a front carrier. I got mine in a trade, and if I would have spent the full retail price on it, I would have been quite disappointed that it wouldn't work for me as a back carrier. My son gets a little cranky after being in it for a while, since he can't change positions or look forward. That's where slings come in handy, I suppose!
#21 of 27 Old 10-04-2004, 07:26 PM

I feel like a total moron because I can't get my baby into the Ergo in a back carry by myself. I have tried so many different ways and I just can't figure out how to manage it. Even when DH helps me get the baby in, it sometimes feels to me like it's not high enough up on his back and he could arch backwards out of it.

At this point we are using the pouch most of the time. I really wish I could get the Ergo to work for us, though.
#22 of 27 Old 10-05-2004, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz
I've found it virtually impossible to use as a front pack while I'm alone. The straps fall off my shoulders unless the back strap is clipped, but you can't reach the back clip on your own.
i extend the shoulder straps as far as they'll go, clip the chest clip, put the baby in place, flip the chest clip over my head and tighten the straps.
#23 of 27 Old 10-05-2004, 10:38 AM

this is how i get maya on my back - i should say this gets easier as she gets older. it was possible when she was 8 months old (when i got the Ergo) but it's much easier now because she helps a bit.

i loosen the shoulder straps all the way. put the belt on so the carrier is over your left hip (or your right, but it's easier for me on the left). leave the belt a bit loose, but not too loose. bring your right arm behind you and loop it through the right shoulder strap. i leave the strap around my wrist at this point. put your baby on your hip, lined up correctly in the Ergo.

bend forward at the waist, and slide the right strap into place on your right shoulder while simultaneously using your left hand at the baby's waist to scootch her onto your back. flip the left shoulder strap in place and clip the chest clip.

Straighten up, make sure the baby is square in the carrier (if needed, stick your hands behind you and slide them under her bum, bounce a little, so she bounces up out of the carrier about an inch while you adjust it). tighten the shoulder straps.

it sounds more complicated that it is, now that i type it up, but it's really pretty much one fluid motion by now.
#24 of 27 Old 10-05-2004, 06:21 PM

You can also slide the chest strap down low to be able to reach it behind your back, I've learned. There is a good article on tbw.com about getting the Ergo on your back alone using the hip method.

The patapum is almost identical to the Ergo, but without the pocket and head flap, and it's less $$.
#25 of 27 Old 10-05-2004, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marnie
this is how i get maya on my back - i should say this gets easier as she gets older. it was possible when she was 8 months old (when i got the Ergo) but it's much easier now because she helps a bit.

i loosen the shoulder straps all the way. put the belt on so the carrier is over your left hip (or your right, but it's easier for me on the left). leave the belt a bit loose, but not too loose. bring your right arm behind you and loop it through the right shoulder strap. i leave the strap around my wrist at this point. put your baby on your hip, lined up correctly in the Ergo.

bend forward at the waist, and slide the right strap into place on your right shoulder while simultaneously using your left hand at the baby's waist to scootch her onto your back. flip the left shoulder strap in place and clip the chest clip.

Straighten up, make sure the baby is square in the carrier (if needed, stick your hands behind you and slide them under her bum, bounce a little, so she bounces up out of the carrier about an inch while you adjust it). tighten the shoulder straps.

it sounds more complicated that it is, now that i type it up, but it's really pretty much one fluid motion by now.
that is how i do it too, usually works fine but in public for some reason (performance anxiety lol) it sometimes goes awry

16 mos ds is a big boy and his back is not totally covered by the ergo (his arms and shoulders are above the top), I do wish the pouch bit was a bit bigger - though he sits there fairly still if he was back arching it would not be too safe
#26 of 27 Old 10-06-2004, 01:07 AM

My 8 month old son LOVES being in the Ergo. However, I was a bit disappointed with the comfort of the carrier -- I guess after reading so many glowing reviews I had high expectations!! I find it fairly comfortable -- but mostly I like the convenience of using it to go to quick trips to the store, around the house and for walks around the block. Getting him on my back too a lot of practice, but after about a month I found I could do it quickly without a helper or funiture spotter!

Although the Kelty is much bulkier, I do find it much better for any type of hiking. As a pp mentioned, everyone's body is different so each carrier will fit differently.
#27 of 27 Old 10-06-2004, 11:00 PM

I have an Ergo, but I mainly use my KKAFP to carry DS (12 mos). For the first 8 months or so of his life, DS screamed when he was in any inward facing position. It's easy to put him in kangaroo carry facing out in the pouch, but I don't know any way to do that in the Ergo. Also, it's so much easier to pop him in and out of the pouch.

Our plan is, and always has been, to start him on the Ergo when he gets too big for the KKAFP to be comfortable. We just haven't gotten there yet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page