Do you cook in your sling? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2004, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I took to wearing my daughter when cooking to prevent her from getting under my legs while I was using a knife or the stove. I put her in the sling and swung her around to my back. This worked fine until I was cooking something on the stove that splattered and stung her legs, which were wrapped around my waist, so they were in range of the hot grease. It was just a tiny droplet of grease, and after a minute under some cool water, she seemed to forget the whole incident. I try to distract her at cooking time, but I think that putting her on my back is still safer than having her clinging to my legs. And it's not really practical to stop cooking what I am cooking and switch to eating cereal for dinner just because she wants to be held. I would like to get a better sling to keep her a bit more secure on my back, but otherwise, I think you just have to use your best judgement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2004, 11:41 PM

I put my DD in her highchair when I'm cooking. That or I use that time as her tummy time and check on her every few minutes. She's not mobile so it's easy for me to do that. But, she so enjoys watching me from her highchair away from the stove.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:56 PM

Oh, I see, some people have babies who are content to observe from a distance...: never thought of that...mine has to be literally attached to my person or he ain't happy...
Old 10-12-2004, 12:06 AM

My sister and sil have kids who were happy to sit and watch, these are also the kids who, as babies, are happy to lie in their own beds awake and quitely fall asleep, LOL!!

NOT . . . ;-) None of my kids have been like that! If they are not on mama they want to be!! When they get older I can distract them with toys for a short time, but they are still happiest and safest on my body!
Lets not even get into how much they LOVE the car, LOL!!! (we just got back from a 10 min car ride where ds was screaming the entire time, despite me being in the back with him).

Kelley, wife to Charlie, SAHM to Xian (8) Piper (7) Arah (4) Ever (2) Thrace (5.09)
: : : : : EC:
Old 10-12-2004, 12:40 AM

I've tried a few times to put my baby in the highchair to watch but he doesn't last very long there. He likes to be right on me. My dh does most of the cooking when he's here. He's gone now so I've had to start cooking (not going well, btw ). I have a 13yo ds who helps me, though. He either cooks or takes care of my baby while I cook.

I used my solarveil sling in the shower. The skin to skin contact with my baby was indescribable. This was the second time he had been in a shower. The first I tried sitting him in the tub while I showered but he cried. He was so content in the sling that while I was shampooing he all of a sudden latched on a started nursing. When I looked down he was looking up at me with the sweetest eyes and looked like he was about to fall asleep. I'd never felt so close to him before and we've always nursed and co-slept and I hold him most of the time. There's just something about that skin to skin contact that makes everything that much better.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 10-12-2004, 01:20 AM

What a sweet story! The few times my son was able/willing to latch on were also in the bathtub. Something about that water...
Old 10-12-2004, 01:58 AM

I don't use the sling in the shower, but DO take him with me (I find it easy to hold him between the legs/behind the back). We tried the infant-tub when he was about a week old and all hated it so he's showered with us (DH or I) ever since.

LOVE LOVE LOVE wet baby! I kiss his little head and the wet hair feels like the instant he was born all over again. (he was born in water)

User Tag List