Favorite slings/ carriers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-11-2004, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With dd, we got the New Native carrier which was great until she got too big for it (around 4 mons. We'll probably try to get another larger one this time for dh.) Then she wanted to be in her bouncy chair until she transitioned to her stroller. Around 8-9 mons. I got a Simply Attached sling from MOE which was perfect (and we still use from time to time)! Her biggest complaint with other slings/ carriers we tried was they were too restricting for her. She wanted to be able to swivel, look around, and is generally pretty squirmy which the others didn't allow for.

I still have some of these slings (which I'm really glad now with #2 coming), and I began wondering what other slings/ carriers mamas have loved using. The ones we tried and didn't like were the baby bjorn (she couldn't move around the way she wanted) and the baby wrap (I found the strap that goes around your chest to be too constricting on my milk ducts -- I'm very large breasted).

So which one(s) are/ were your favorite?
#2 of 4 Old 12-11-2004, 09:54 PM

moving this to babywearing forum

my favorites are simple unpadded ring slings that I make myself.
http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/inde...aby/sling.html
http://www.mayawrap.com/sewSling.shtml
I kind of use a combination of the two instructions linked above.
#3 of 4 Old 12-11-2004, 10:03 PM

I second the pp's suggestion of sleepingbaby.net. Rev Jan is great to work with, and her custom slings are IMO very reasonable. I have a maya too, but can't say it is my favorite. Do you have the new native pouch? If your baby has head control, you can still use the new native in the hip carry hold. This is actually my favorite (and baby's) hold, b/c he can see everything. If you have the new native pouch, you probably don't want to get another one, but I do love my hotsling (www.hotslings.com). They have cotton (get the padded leg rail) and fleece (don't need the rail for fleece), I have the cotton one and love it. I will warn you that fleece one is very warm, so if plan to just use it indoors, I would just stick with a cotton pouch.

If you are large breasted you may not like the mei tai carriers. I do have one (www.sachicarrier.com) and think it is very pretty. However, I am larger busted as well and it's just extremely unflattering, to the pt that I only use the mei tai at home. The moby wrap is nice too, but IMO is unflattering to my body shape as well (I'm about a size 14 and large chested). I hope you find something that you like. You can check out www.babywearer.com for reviews of different WAHMs for slings/carriers.
#4 of 4 Old 12-12-2004, 01:05 PM

I love my Zolo slings- I have a cotton and a silk. www.zolowear.com I also have 2 hotslings- I wish now that I had gotten the padding, but I still think they are great carriers. www.hotslings.com

Dh has a microfiber sling from Rev Jan and he loves it. He also loves his Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch. www.kangarookorner.com

MY kozy , www.kozycarrier.com has also been a lifesaver during that clingy stage- so I could get some housework done. It is similar to the sachi carrier the pp mentioned.

I have heard great things about Moby wraps for newborns, but I dont have one.....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page