How many slings you got? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 59 Old 12-17-2004, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How many are in your stash? How often do you use each? How do you choose another(what are your criteria )
I am actually out of the babywearing phase, but I just wandered into the forum and am amazed.
As for me, I had a new native, OTSBH and a backpack. My, how times have changed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 59 Old 12-17-2004, 10:35 PM

I only own two wraps. In the past, I used a Snuggly,which would always kill my neck,and my back. For my 6th child,Chris I bought the Infantino carrier and that was pretty much the same, only able to wear a short time before I started aching.
When he got a little older, I got a stroller/backpack combo(can't remember the name), that was'nt too bad, when I got too sore from him being on my back, I just put him in the stroller(this was before I discovered AP)

I recently got a gauze type fabric from MamaToto. That was such an awesome difference from all the above.

Oh, I almost forgot, I did once try a Nojo? I think thats what it was, and I hated that one too. Not really into pouches and slings,I'm large breasted and anything over them plus the babe in it,just made me look even bigger!!!

Today, I just got my Ultimate Baby Wrap, I've had her in it, its glorious!!!!!
The fabric so soft and stretchy!!

Well, this has been my experiences so far....
#3 of 59 Old 12-17-2004, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I have three ring slings, all purchased used so I'm unsure of their origin.... now a gauze wrap (fabric from Dharma Trading).. and two Doodlebug Boutique ABC carriers

My criteria for choosing when to wear any of them? First is ease of use, or how long I'll be carrying my baby. If we're only out for a bit, then I'll choose a ring sling because they're the easiest to slip over the head and plop baby in. Then, for choosing a ring sling, it's all about color. I like my black one with metal rings for a nice, classy look

As for the other two styles, I just got my ABC carriers earlier this week and haven't really tried them out a ton, but I can see myself using them for longer carries which will be nice to have the weight distributed over two shoulders. And the gauze wrap? Ooh, it's very nice, but again, I just got it earlier this week, so I need to play with it some more

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#4 of 59 Old 12-17-2004, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

ok, but why two abcs and three rings? What is the difference within each style?
#5 of 59 Old 12-18-2004, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
i have 4 carriers right now. i wear a khaki stretch hotsling around the house, it has its share of foodstains from when i'm eating. for out and about i have a black toile hotsling and a blue floral wise woman sling, whichever one matches my outfit best that day. i recently just got a freehand mei tai which i'm quickly learning to love also.

i'm sure i'll be getting more - i told dh that for me, slings are the "new" shoes

nak
lb (a former shoe addict)

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#6 of 59 Old 12-18-2004, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have 3 carriers and 1 on the way. I use my Maya Wrap the most cuz I the adjustability of it. I also have a fleece Hotsling pouch that I use for wlaks in cooler weather or when I know I'm going to be someplace I'll have to keep DS warm in. I also have a Snuggli carrier that DH uses.

BUT.... I have A KOZY KARRIER on the way!!! I am most excited about this one as DS is getting kinda heavy to carry in the one shoulder slings. I also plan on getting a Moby (wanna try out the wrap) and I would also like a stretchy pouch from Hotslings for using around the house and quick pop ins and outs

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#7 of 59 Old 12-18-2004, 02:12 AM

I have...
countless Hotslings (duh)
an Ellaroo
a Zolo silk and Zolo pouch
a Maya Wrap
a Kozy
a Sachi MT
a Kangaroo Korner Solarveil
a Wise Woman Sling
a Baby Space AP
a Moby
an OTSBH
an EBMT
and a Storchenweige on the way...

i'll edit later all the links - baby crying
#8 of 59 Old 12-18-2004, 02:59 AM

I have : 2 stretch Hotslings, khaki and sari print, used mostly when dd was a newborn, I could wear her higher than in ring slings and no adjusting needed.

1 olive green Maya Wrap, bought before dd was born because everyone raved about them, but never got the hang of and hope to re-selll someday.

2 Wise Woman slings, pink stipes and leopard print, I loooove these slings they are so easy to adjust and comfy, I use them everyday. They are so easy to nurse in!

1 blue silk Zolo ring sling, it is so beautiful, I figured since I wear my dd 2-3 hours a day and she is my last I deserved a silk sling, it makes me feel stylish and beautiful again.

1 black OTSBH, the only sling I used with my first dd, there wasn't really much to choose from back then, and it was very easy to use, just hot sometimes.

1 black Ergo, I have really big kids and needed a two shoulder carrier, I have tried both an ABC and a wrap but am too lazy to use them, I like more quick on and off carriers.

Umm thats it
#9 of 59 Old 12-18-2004, 03:42 AM

I'm very new to babywearing, so I love to try the different carriers to see what will work for me and my now 3 month old. I've traded and sold some other carriers, but this is what I have now:

Hug-a-Bub - Loved this since he was just born. I use this when I am going to be wearing him for long periods or when I'm doing anything which requires me to bend over and be completely hands free.

2 Hotslings with padding: khaki & Mendhi - love the pouches for around the house or shorter errand runs

KKAFP - use when its cold

Maya sling - I'm ring sling impaired and want to sell this one

Wise Woman Sling: Earthy cord - bought out of frustration with the Maya; love it, so easy to adjust

Girasol - haven't used this one yet - seems so overwhelming and I'm loving my other carriers right now; probably will when DS is bigger

Sachi Mei Tai - just received so I haven't used it yet

Baby Bjorn - husband likes this one as he's used to it from DS1 (he'll use other carriers if I'm there to help him)

Ergo - on the way for DH to use when DS outgrows his Bjorn

On Kelley's list for a silk Kozy - hopefully, it will be my turn in January (the silk Kozy on Ebay is so tempting though)

There's so many other carriers out there that I would love to see in real life and try out.

Tereasa
#10 of 59 Old 12-18-2004, 11:58 PM

I have:

-Heart2Heart - longterm loaned to a friend coz it doesn't fit me nad i hate the padding

-MayaWrap - loaned to a friend who isn't using it! And sorely missed... I'm gonna grab it back at Xmas if she doesn't make a commitment to it by then! :LOL

-crappy old Jolly Jumper (Babytrekker style but more cheaply made and less padded) - used it a lot when seh was brand new actually, and really liked it, but it has since been left in the dust

-Babytrekker - dd's papa's fave carrier, used daily and going strong

-Purple Penguin gauze style wrap (see www.purplepenguin.ca) - a little overpriced IMO (and even more since I bought mine) but this was my intro to wraps and it is very functional

- and my new , an artist-Mama-made wrap (by bikruca) made with polyester knit fabric purchased from Walmart's $2 bin, with a beautiful silk butterfly on a very functional pocket marking the centre of the wrap.

The only carrier I would buy at this point is another wrap, or maybe something like the mamababy slings/wrap by Mayawrap. Once I got into wraps, I can't go back! :LOL I'm wrap crazy!
#11 of 59 Old 12-19-2004, 01:11 AM

:
#12 of 59 Old 12-19-2004, 01:20 AM

geez, i feel like such a minimalist! i have a maya, a wise woman, a kkafp, and a kozy. and i thougth that was so extravagant!!
#13 of 59 Old 12-19-2004, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillamama
geez, i feel like such a minimalist! i have a maya, a wise woman, a kkafp, and a kozy. and i thougth that was so extravagant!!
Well, I only have one type of carrier, so I beat you there. lol
#14 of 59 Old 12-19-2004, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by art4babies
Well, I only have one type of carrier, so I beat you there. lol
mmmmmkay, but how MANY of that one type?
#15 of 59 Old 12-19-2004, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillamama
mmmmmkay, but how MANY of that one type?
lol. okay.... 5
#16 of 59 Old 12-19-2004, 02:33 AM

: I have over 40. TG I am haveing another baby or I would have a substantial stash sitting around. I do give away basic ring slings everyonce and a while so its probally a little less. I carry a few around to give to people I see and think oh they could really use a sling I won't bother to list them all, LOL. All I am missing right now is a Didymos, Oh I would kill for one of those! I borrowed one from a friend, but had to give it back Sadly no $ to get one of my own.
#17 of 59 Old 12-19-2004, 03:12 AM

I've got 2...

an OTSBH and a made by me Frakenkozy. However...the frankenkozy is beautiful, but the fabric I used makes it kind of heavy and bulky. So..I'm going to make me another one w/ different fabric. In the meantime though I'm on the hunt for something new!!

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#18 of 59 Old 12-19-2004, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess3_2005
: I have over 40.

#19 of 59 Old 12-19-2004, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess3_2005
: I have over 40.
uh, YAH.... tell me you SEW!
#20 of 59 Old 12-19-2004, 04:55 AM

I have:

a Maya wrap
an OTSBH
a Baby Bjorn (my husband used it alot)
a Kozy (I use it as a back carrier, mostly)
a pouch carrier that I never liked
a frame backpack (best for hiking with a toddler)

I think that is all of them...
Kathleen
#21 of 59 Old 12-19-2004, 01:07 PM

Wow.
I have 2 OTSBHs. I had one until I had my second child (who wanted to be near me all the time ), then a friend gave me another. Having 2 was wonderful, and very nice for if the baby spit up on it/I spilled food on it/the cat layed in it and one had to be in the wash. Where on earth do you keep more than that? Doesn't it get $$? I mean, perhaps the price of slings has gone down in the 8 years since I bought the first one (it was $35 bought new then, which I thought was a lot but worth it), but STILL! MAybe if I made them it would be more affordable, but still the rings alone cost like $10, don;t they?

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#22 of 59 Old 12-19-2004, 01:21 PM

for me, it's kinda like a hobby, in a way. i really enjoy carrying my baby and do so every day. i have several styles of carriers generally use at least 2 different ones a day, depending on what i'm doing. i also like having carriers coordinate with my ouftit or my mood. maybe that's kinda wacky, i don't know.

the expense factor is totally relative. what's spendy to one isn't to another. i received a sling for my birthday, i'll get one for christmas and i'll probably ask for another for mother's day. it's just what i'm into.
#23 of 59 Old 12-19-2004, 01:36 PM

I have two Freedom slings. Both made by a friend of mine. One is a windpro fleece and the other a canvasy type. I use the windpro a good deal more.

Eventually when I get more $, I would like to either get more or experiment with some different types.
#24 of 59 Old 12-19-2004, 01:51 PM

I used to have 4 - a snugli, a nojo, an OTSBH, and a Maya wrap. I'm down to just the Maya now.

My OTSBH is on loan to somebody else. I hated the Nojo & I gave away the snugli when DD got too big for it.

I'd really like an Ergo backpack, though.
#25 of 59 Old 12-19-2004, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binxsmom
i really enjoy carrying my baby and do so every day. i have several styles of carriers generally use at least 2 different ones a day, depending on what i'm doing. i also like having carriers coordinate with my ouftit or my mood. maybe that's kinda wacky, i don't know.

I also enjoy carrying my baby and do it every day (most of the day). It's like shoes... most women own more than 4 pair, because you "need" it to go with different outfits. It's not wacky at all.

Everyone has their own "obsession." A lot of people on MDC are obsessed about cloth diapers (buying their own stash and washing it themselves.) I just don't get that. I use a cloth diaper service.

I found a mainstream board once where the women were nuts about strollers. They felt compelled to own every brand (and you know how expensive strollers are - way more expensive than slings.) That was an amusing board to read and a great source of feedback if you were looking for a specific stroller.

I own:
2 OTSBH: Leopard and Tie-Dye
My Leopard (makes me feel stylish and beautiful) is what I use most days and Tie-Dye (which I'm sure screams hippie to people :LOL ) is the back-up. I love the padding. The Tie-Dye is a "Extravagant Love Sling" and a size Regular. : So it's more snug fitting than my roomier Medium. Had I realized that at the store, I would not have purchased it.

3 Maya Wraps: Solid Denim (my only purchase this time), # 44 (gift to new baby), # 63 (had from last time). I lost my favorite # 39 (I left it at my sister's fiance's apt 2.5 years ago and they have yet to return it. : ) and # 51 (from the first time).

I use a stroller for naps only. I put the OTSBH inside the stroller for comfy padding and then cover the stroller with an open MW.

1 Silk Zolo: Green Silk
I bought it used once for $100. I'm not in love with it (it's hard to adjust and I like to nurse, walk and talk and do stuff while I babywear ) and will sell it.

2 Kozy's: Wall Flower and Meadow
I just got these two. I'm probably going to return (or sell) the Meadow (sold out) because I'm not in love with it. I am in love with the WF, which I did not expect, since that one was going to be the back-up. However, my baby is just hating the back carry! But I'm going to give it some more time.

1 Gauze Wrap: lime green
I purchased this 2 months ago, eager to learn the back carry. I've been so busy, I just haven't made time to learn it. I just had a babywearing party and a friend showed me how to do it (carrying her 3 yr old) and it was so easy! I'll probably use this at some point later.

1 Kelty back metal frame carrier
Used 10-13 months the last time. When I'm done with babywearing, I'll sell it.

Expensive?
Well, it's not expensive for me. And I do save on other things! I buy used items (clothes/gear for kids) when I can and I save a lot that way.

I am pretty happy with my stash. I don't feel the need to buy anymore.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#26 of 59 Old 12-19-2004, 02:55 PM

I have an OTSBH and a home-made Maya wrap type. I hate the OTSBH, because the padding is bulky and gets in the way, but I adore the Maya wrap one.
#27 of 59 Old 12-19-2004, 03:07 PM

I've had tons and have passed many of them on, for various reasons. My current stash:

KKAFP
Mom & Me Creations PIP
ABC (homemade)
stretch twill pouch (homemade)
Onbuhimo
New Native (too big, probably will sell/trade)
Ergo
Taylormade Treasures organic cotton mesh
Maya Wrap (may sell/trade b/c I prefer my TMT)

Geez, that's more than I thought I had! I also have an Ellaroo Podegi on the way. I don't use most of these much (mostly just the KKAFP and PIP), since ds is rather independent now, but I'm stocking up for the baby on the way
#28 of 59 Old 12-19-2004, 03:21 PM

Ok, Right now I have the following in my collection:

Red cotton wilkinet

Leopard print fleece hotsling pouch
Cammo print fleece coorie pouch
Black microfleece coorie pouch
Purple cotton batik coorie pouch

Maya Wrap ring sling - Just sold as we didn't get on with it at all
Red Solarveil ring sling

Ellaroo Wrap
Moby Wrap

Freehand Mei Tai
Freehand Onbuhimo.

And i've got a Doodlebug carrier on order and am contamplating putting my name on the waiting list for a kozy

Think i've got most bases covered there :-) Although, i'm wanting a
solarveil abc right now, but getting my bathroom installed takes
priority for the moment, lol.
#29 of 59 Old 12-19-2004, 03:39 PM

LOL I do sew, I would say at least half of my carriers are ones I have made. I believe my slings are fashion acessories, like great shoes or a purse and I need a variety to match my outfits,
#30 of 59 Old 12-19-2004, 04:00 PM

Re: $$

I am not rich at all. I am babycarrier lucky! I have come by most of mine without spending.

Heart2Heart and MAya: both gifted to me second hand from mamas
Babytrekker: $15 at a garage sale. Woohoo!
PurplePenguin wrap: only one I paid full price for - $50 plus tax at the time
Newest wrap: Bought 6 yards of fabric for $12, and that was enough to make a wrap for myself and my best friend. Paid an artist mama for her labour to make them beautiful.

My babycarriers are the most important baby-related things I have, and are dear dear dear to my heart. They represent for me my connection to my daughter, our closeness, her infancy and toddlerhood, and the way I have chosen to parent her, which I am very proud of. I am getting all teary as I write this!

Often I think I only want one child, but when I think of NEVER AGAIN carrying somebody in my babycarriers, I think again!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page