padded ring slings? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2005, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, my dd HATES the Maya wrap and the new native, but I tried her in a heart2heart today and she thought it was pretty ok. I have a feeling its the padding...

Is the heart2heart the best out there, for padded ring slings? You should know that she's 3 mo old and hates the cradle position (she likes being upright)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2005, 10:54 PM

I am not fond of padded ring slings but I have heard that people that like them also like the over the shoulder baby holder sling.

Sorry, I have not tried the heart to heart to know if it is better or worse than that.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:42 PM

I am not crazy about padded slings. Most people I know try padded first and then much prefer unpadded, as it's cooler and easier to adjust. However, the Kangaroo Korner lightly padded is the nicest padded sling I've seen. I like that it has an open tail for easier adjusting, and the padding is wide (side to side) but not too thick (up and down, if that makes sense), which seems more comfortable and again easier. Hotslings are pouches with optional padding.

If you are in a cool climate, you might also try fleece. I have fleece pouches from both hotslings and KK and they are very stretchy, soft and comfy, almost like the fabric itself is padded. But they are not good for warm weather.

I wonder if the New Native you tried was a good fit? And the Maya - were you comfortable adjusting it? Sometimes when parents are hesitant about a sling, babies pick up on that and don't feel safe in the sling. Did you get hands-on help?

HTH.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:33 PM

I second what Darien said about the KK padded sling. I have one and it is SO nice, very easy to adjust and get nice and tight (which is not true of other padded slings). I prefer a padded sling with a newborn and used it daily in the first month or two.

Kelley, wife to Charlie, SAHM to Xian (8) Piper (7) Arah (4) Ever (2) Thrace (5.09)
: : : : : EC:
Old 01-04-2005, 04:00 PM

I know it's not so popular in the babywearing world but I'm a huge fan of padded ring slings for newborns and the Heart to Heart is my favourite. It's a Canadian brand and distributed mostly in Canada so you may not find a huge number of people familiar with it.

I have tried the Over The Shoulder Baby Holder as well and like the H2H much better - the tail is nicely designed so that you can adjust the rails independently. The H2H was my first sling with dd#1 and I used it all the time. Now that I have more knowledge (and a *much* bigger collection!), its's still one of my favourites for the first few months.

Since you have a H2H, I would stick with that. The Maya and NN will be better once she gets a bit older (as long as the NN fits you properly). Did you have hands on help? Where in Ontario are you? I'm in Ottawa - can I help? I have experience with all 3 slings you have
Old 01-05-2005, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Milkface, I'm in Ottawa too!

I actually don't have a H2H, but tried on a friend's. DD wasn't overly excited about it, but did not fuss as much as with the Maya. The new native is ok with her for a little bit, but with both the Maya and NN the fabric is so stiff, I think that's what she finds uncomfortable. I'm pretty sure I'm using them both right, but who knows? I find the maya particularly overwhelming, so that one I might need real life help for!

HOWEVER, since I'm so tired of trying out (and paying for!) different slings, I bought some cheap fabric yesterday and made my own wrap. She seems much more into that, and I think I just might "lose" the snugli. The only thing is that in summer, it would be really really hot. But a padded sling would be hot as well, right? What _wouldn't_ be too hot for the summer? (I know, an entirely different thread).
Old 01-05-2005, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I had a NoJo. My kids loved it. LaLeche folks sell one similar to that called the Over The Shoulder Baby Holder. The padding on that one is even a bit fluffier than a NoJo.

I don't sew, wish I did. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancat
Hey Milkface, I'm in Ottawa too!
Hey - cool! I was going to pm you my e-mail address but I see that you're not set up for pm's soooo if you want help or to chat slings irl just pm me or e-mail me (you can do both by clicking on my username).
Old 01-05-2005, 03:36 PM

Quote:
However, the Kangaroo Korner lightly padded is the nicest padded sling I've seen.
I have one and I love it...dd is very comfy in it and I find it easy to adjust...it was my first sling and I found it pretty easy to get the hang of. Now that my munchkin is 4 months she is getting too big for it, and my sis in law gave me a gorgeous homemade unpadded one and it's bigger and fits her better. I am also waiting impatiently for my Hotsling

For a newborn the lightly padded one is wondeful, but it is bulky and I would suggest moving on to another after a few months...but even now it is easy to slide on like a skirt :LOL when dd falls asleep on me and I decide to get up after all!
Old 01-06-2005, 03:48 AM

My first 3 were all in OTSBH (very padded). Even sold them for a time. I also have an old stained one that unfortunately fits me now (it was for DH when our first was born) and I use it around the house and while nak'ing the baby.

Got wiser & switched to a Maya.

But seriously, found that the fabrics deteriorated very quickly, first, and second, while the babies were happy, I wasn't, because they're hard to adjust perfectly. I mean, it's easy enough to adjust them, but you can only adjust them so far, because of the padding on the rails and the huge shoulder pad (well, the OTSBH has a huge one).

Found the unpadded Maya to be much more flexible and easier to manipulate.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:17 PM

I have not had any luck with padded ring slings, much preffer the unpadded ones, they are so much easeir to adjust, especially if both parents will be using it.

User Tag List