If money was no object - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-03-2005, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
What 2 slings would you buy?

I'm in the process of picking out slings for my second child. My first came much earlier than expected so I hadn't bought a sling yet. Turns out it was a good thing since she hated any kind of confinement what-so-ever. And I didn't mind holding her all the time. I'm not going to have that kind of luxury with this baby since my dd is barely 2 and requires so much hands on time. I love toddlerhood, BTW.

I was thinking of picking up a hotsling now, but well, my vanity is getting in the way. No offense to anyone, but I don't think they are very pretty. That
is just my personal taste. Although I hear that she is adding silk brocade. Does anyone know when that might happen or how much they would cost?

I have been drooling over the Zolo silk slings. They are just my style! I would just buy one of those and get it over with, however, I have heard they are not good in hot climates, and since we are moving to the deep South (and I mean deep :LOL ) I'm worried it will not be very practical.

I was thinking about buying both, so I have a practical everyday sling, and a pretty sling for cooler days. Are they both equally comfortable? I have scoliosis very bad and my back hurts me most days. Also, because of the curvature I will only be able to wear the sling on my "high" shoulder, so it needs to be very comfy. I cannot wear a back-carry, so I'm hoping a sling will help me out.

One last question can you throw a diaper bag over your shoulder and wear a sling? I'm having a hard time picturing that...

Thanks for all of your wisdom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2005, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmmm.... I'm going to try and answer all your questions :LOL
If money were NO object, I'd buy a Kozy ( I love my Kozy!!!) and an Oopa Baby Sling BEAUTIFUL!!!

First off, would using a ring sling or pouch that puts all the weight on one shoulder be better than using a 2 shoulder carry (like a wrap or ABC)?

As far as the warmer weather, I would suggest a lighter fabric, like gauze or even Solarveil. Check out Taylor Made Slings if you do want a ring sling.

If you end up wanting to use a 2 shoulder carrier, you can make your own wrap out of gauze, there are directions at www.mamatoto.org

I hope I've been of some help Good luck finding what you're looking for

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

Old 01-03-2005, 01:42 PM

If it were me, I'd get a stretch hotsling and a kozy. The hotsling mama often has new fabrics up - maybe soon you'll find one you like better!
Old 01-03-2005, 05:43 PM

If it were me, I'd get a Hug a Bub and a Zolo for a newborn then a Hotsling and a Kozy for a bit later (like 4 months +)

And, yes, I know that's 4 slings
Old 01-03-2005, 09:16 PM

i would for sure get an oopa baby. i have one and totally love it. the silk is just lovely and they are very lightweight. perfect for those hot southern summers. i'm in georgia so i can relate.

if you can do a 2 shoulder carry, then i'd go with the kozy or an abc. the front carries are very comfy. if the 2 shoulder carry is not possible, then, like the others, i'd go for a hotsling. they are incredibly easy and great to use for a quick pop-in. and you can't go wrong with a solid color. black, tan, etc. personally, i love some of the hotsling fabrics. that poppy print is totally calling my name.

given this, one of my favorite carriers is a pea in the pod fleece pouch. i totally adore it and it is wonderfully comfy. it is great in the winter. my guess is that it might be a bit warm for a southern summer but, then again, sometimes it gets so hot that we end up in air-conditioned climates so it might work afterall.

the kozy, hotslings and piap pouches have great resale so you can always try one and sell it if it doesn't work out.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:29 AM

If I could get two slings, money no object, I would probably get an unpadded ring sling (oopa, Zolo, take your pick. I have 2 TMT and I love them but I have to say if money were no object I would have a silk stash ) and a Kozy.

And then a Didy, and then a Hotsling, and then a PIP...

:

Where was I? :LOL
Old 01-04-2005, 01:20 AM

I live in the deep south ( if Louisiana is deep enough for you :LOL ) and I have both hotslings and zolos. I love them both. I have the silk zolo ( gorgeous and fine climate wise as long as you stay indoors) a cotton zolo( lighter weight than the silk and very comfortable), and a cotton stretch hotsling ( awesome, but overall not as comfortable as the zolo because of the adjustability).

I have a kozy too, and since my baby was really hot natured, I almost sweat to death with him in it when it is hot outside. :LOL I don't wear DS outdoors much, mostly because it is too dern hot and humid to do anything outside most of the year. That being said, I think you need ALL nof them.

I'm not much help am i?
Old 01-04-2005, 01:39 AM

I just got a cotton Zolo in the plum cotton and it's AWESOME. The fabric is smooth and a great color. I wore Quinn down tonight in it. I was able to snug him right up to me. Easy to use. Great pocket. HIGHLY recommend.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:57 AM

Honestly, it would be a WRAP and a water carrier. I have a Didymos but still prefer my lightweight cotton wraps of various gauzy materials, and if money were no object I would buy a cotton sari like these: http://www.sarisafari.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=coimj. At least one. In fact, that might be both my choices. For comfort and versatility I would never trade a wrap --

But for non-wrap beauty, I love the oopababy.com slings.

If money were truly no object, at all, I'd have a swank custom woven sari. :LOL
Old 01-04-2005, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I absolutely love my 2 Hotslings so would have to vote for one of those-you know you can pick your own fabric and send it to her? Her fit, service and worksmanship just can't be beat!
Also a Mei tei but not sure which one yet-not a Kozy I'm afraid but that's just me-great carrier-just not for me so far. I just ordered 3 ABCs so I'll let you know which I like best...
Good luck
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:29 AM

Have you thought about making your own? I was able to make a really pretty one out of silk brocade using the Maya wrap instructions for less than $15 for all materials including fabric, rings and thread.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:39 AM

If it were ME, I'd probably get a Storchenweige or an Ellaroo, and a Freehand Celtic Knot Mei Tei, or a Freehand Hmong (?? I think - the newest one they are making) in patchwork. BEAUTIFUL!

If I were YOU (thinking climate, scoliosis, taste for silk brocade), I'd probably still get a Freehand carrier of some sort, and a custom appliqued dragonfly gauze wrap from www.gypsymama.com.

Oh no wait! I went back to me... hmmm... I don't know your climate well... I'm in Canada, imagining what it's like here in July and figuring you must suffer something like that. :LOL What about a Maya? I have one and LOVE it, and the fabric is beautiful and cool, woven in Guatamala.

FYI: MDC Trading Post is a good place to buy carriers second hand, as is www.thebabywearer.com, forums, there is a for sale or trade forum.

Congrats on your babe! Happy shopping!
Old 01-04-2005, 12:08 PM

"you know you can pick your own fabric and send it to her? Her fit, service and worksmanship just can't be beat" Couldn't have sid it better myself~!

Kristen is awesome to deal with and her fabric selection is awesome! I love the pink pixies! It sounds like you want a silk sling and need the okay--- I am sure everyone at this board says - get a Zolo! They are beautiful and Darien even has a little blurb about them in Parents "Baby" magazine! Good luck and congrats!
Old 01-04-2005, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Thank you everyone. Sometimes it's nice to read other's reviews that don't take cost into consideration. You seem to get a more unbiased view of the product. And it's fun to dream, right?

Binxmom, you had a good point about the a/c, I actually thought about that this morning. Some days when you are running a lot of errands and spending the day in stores a "warmer" sling is probably a good idea. Stores seem to keep the temperature so cold in the summer.

I have a Bjorn and a frame Kelty backpack. The Kelty I can wear for probably a good three miles (we hike), but the Bjorn was torture on my shoulders even after just a few minutes. I'm hoping a sling will spread the weight out across my back more.

Unfortunately I do not have the talent for making things. I have tried, but it's just not something that I am able to do. I am more than happy to support other moms, too.

I may look into sending my own fabric for the hotsling. I'll talk to the woman who makes them and see if there is anything about fabric that I should know. For now, I think I will buy one of those, and then save up for the Zolo. That way if this little one comes early like the last I will be prepared, and if it comes on time I'll probably have both.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:24 PM

Pick only two???? That seems impossible! Well, I have 3 ring slings (one padded closed tail, one unpadded closed tail, and one unpadded open tail), waiting for my Sachi to arrive, on the waiting list for a Kozy and am in the process of making a pouch sling.
All that said, I would love to try two wraps, a moby or ultimate for a stretchey or a woven fabric wrap, ellaroo or storch. So the wraps are next on my list. Ooh, and I forgot about that Mai sling, have you seen those? I forgot where, but great idea!
I know that is way more than 2, but I get so carried away!
Quick question, though, about the wraps, my son is 20 lbs at 4 months, do you all think a stretchy wrap or a woven woudl be better for us? And what length? I am about 155 and 5'6".
Thanks,
Melissa
Old 01-06-2005, 05:44 PM

Ah, what fun I'd get a stretch hotsling and a kozy. I have a stretch hotsling and it's perfect for those quick trips- running into the store to get two things.... I have an abc (not kozy though...) that is great for anything longer. I mostly wear my dd on my front, though when she's just fussy and I need to get stuff done around the house it works great with her on my back. VERY comfortable. Doesn't make my back or shoulders tired at all.

Have fun choosing!

-Angela
Old 01-06-2005, 06:43 PM

medaroge --

I have a personal preference toward woven wraps. If you plan on doing any back carrying at all, I'd suggest a non-stretchy wrap. Non-stretch wraps offer the most versatility in a wrap, whether a brand name like Storchweige or a WAHM wrap, IMO.

User Tag List