Advice on Gifting Slings - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-03-2005, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 2 friends who are pregnant who I want to give slings as a baby gift, one is average sized and the other is an H cup. Neither have used anything other than a Snugglie in past. Both have toddlers now. I don't live close to them to help them learn to use it, so it needs to be pretty easy to figure out. I've made myself a few slings, so I am debating making them, but unsure.

So what sling do you think makes the best gift and is easiest to use with a new baby?

TIA

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2005, 02:54 PM

I don't have any answers, sorry. But I was also thinking of getting slings as baby gifts for some first time mamas and an easy sling for myself. I have just started reading this board and I've been looking at wise woman slings. Hoping you get some good suggestions
Old 01-03-2005, 03:45 PM

I would give them a gift certificate to either hotslings or kangaroo korner. That way they can choose thier own size and material, and work iwth the owner themselves if the sizing is wrong. The pouches at both of these places are fantastic, and I think that's the easiest for a newbie.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:05 PM

I just gave my cousin a KKAFP for her baby shower. I let her pick the color and size, and shoulder snap position, then ordered it for her. She had admired mine when I had it, so I thought it would be great, once she got pregnant, to get her one. I think a pouch is so easy to use.... I tried a ring-sling and couldn't get the hang of it. There is a little learning curve for the pouch, but much more for a ring-sling. I love my pouch.

I also use a mei-tai now that my baby is older and love that, too, but for newborns, I think a pouch is perfect.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:21 PM

I agree that a pouch is the easiest to use with a newborn.

The KKAFP is a wonderful pouch for a newborn, so snuggly and comfortable. Also, you can adjust it for those weeks after birth when the pregnancy weight is still on, when you are wearing thicker winter clothing, or for different positions. I love mine, but it tends to get a little warm indoors. If they aren't having fall or winter babies or they live in a warmer climate, I would stick to a cotton pouch.

I have several stretch Hotslings pouches, also, and they are wonderful, too. You need to get the sizing just right since it's not adjustable, but Kristen from Hotslings is very helpful.

They would also be able to use the pouches for their toddlers in the hip carry position.

Tereasa
Old 01-03-2005, 09:47 PM

I recently bought a sling from Wise Woman slings for an acquaintance. I've met her a few times, her DH and my DH have worked together for years. They just had a new baby, and I really don't know her well enough to ask her size or spend a lot of money for a gift.

I thought that the Wise Woman would be perfect- it's affordable, and it's shaping is kind of a cross between a ring sling & a pouch.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:50 PM

Hostlings are awesome so if you can give a gift certificate that would be nice.

If you are close by and could help if she needed any Taylor Made ring slings are amazing. The fabrics are great and I love the shoulder design.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:08 AM

I just sent a gift certificate to a friend for peppermint.com. She sells Maya wraps and pouches, Taylor mades, selendangs, New Natives, and then some more expensive ones.

I'm hoping that this works out for my friend; the sling being made possible by me, but with her getting to decide which one she wants.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I had never looked at the adjustable pouches before- those do look comfy. That might be just perfect for Katie.
Keep the ideas coming- espeically if anyone has suggestions for what works well with huge boobs! Friend with said appendages is scared there won't be room for both boobs and baby on her front. :LOL

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09

User Tag List