does this exist? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-03-2005, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi, wise carrier-knowing mamas,

we currently have a kkafp, a maya adjustable pouch, and a zolo ring sling, in which we tote our 6-week old, 12 pound girl. my husband isn't quite happy with any of them, though, and wants a carrier in which he can have her facing out, with her legs free. i'd prefer that she not be hanging by her crotch in this position, and that there is such a thing as a carrier that will work with that position and as a backpack, will carry hazel until she is a massive three-year-old, and will be relatively easy to fold up and carry around when we're not using it. oh, and be super comfortable and easy to use, of course am i dreaming?

to recap, here are the features we're looking for:
-front-facing front carry possible
-backpack
-carries wide range of kiddo sizes
-easy on the shoulders and back
-easy to use
-portable when not in use.

so far we're looking at the sutemi (not sure whether it'll work with the outward-facing front carry), the wilkinet, the trekker...

thanks for any suggestions!

*j
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2005, 09:05 PM

i would suggest a wrap like a didymos or ellaroo. i think a wrap would meet all of your criteria except for the "easy to use." they are incredibly versatile but have a longer learning curve.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:07 PM

An aisian carrier or a wrap would work nicely for both. Although the Asian carrier the legs out facing front wouldnt workso well but you could face out in kangaroo hold or face inward with legs out.
www.peppermint.com for a variety of wraps
www.kozykarrier.com for a good aisian carrier
Old 01-05-2005, 12:52 AM

I second the wrap but would add, it is easy to use! The misconception of a wrap is that there is a big learning curve. IME, and in the experience fo those I teach, it's simply not true. What is daunting is that a wrap can be tied in over 100 different ways. However, to learn, say, a 1-shoulder tie in a wrap is no more difficult than learning to use a pouch or a ring sling. Learning the rucksack or kangaroo carry is no more difficult than learning a mei tai/ABC. Learning just the wrap cros carry, perhaps the most useful and common wrap carry, is also simple. And with the videos at mamatoto.org, it's all the easier! To learn all those carries (and more) is a big learni g curve, but just as a pouch and ring-sling can only really be used in one position, simply varying tautness and placement, many people choose to use only one carry in a wrap (in your case it would be the wrap cross carry, the cross carry, or the short cross carry).
Old 01-06-2005, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

okay, you've sold me. i'm going to try it! i think i'll get some cotton jersey fabric, and go from there...

thanks mamas!

*j
Old 01-06-2005, 04:47 AM

sounds like an ABC to me

User Tag List