Who uses a Podegi? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-18-2005, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
And how do you like it compared to your other carriers-esp a mei tai if you have one.
Do you use it traditionally around your chest or over the shoulders?
I'm intrigued by them and think I'm going to try making one. I have a Freehand Podegi on the way so am excited to try one out!
Thanks,
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2005, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

I'm waiting on one too... I plan to use the traditional carry... I often carry my dd in a sarong around my torso... love it but looking forward to something more secure that I feel more comfortable venturing out in.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:24 AM

WELL....I think I can reply to this thread I my podegis...all of them. I have a few Here are some of the ones I have http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kaelyn...nner/my_photos
I look pretty silly in these pictures, and the camera is awful, but you get the main idea. I took these for a friend and my son was sleeping at the time, hence the doll.

I love my podegis for around the house. I always wear them in a traditional style, except for the narrow podegi I prefer to wear like a Hmong. They aren't as easy for me to use now because I am 7mo. pg and they don't fit around me anymore :LOL But I can't wait for the new baby to come and so I can use them with her...or him.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for those pics-that helps to see better how to wear them Are those lovewraps? I have one coming from Freehand-fleece on the back and a knit print on the front-kind of wild but cute and good for here since it's cool weather often.
I also bought some quilted fabric that i hope to make one with using Rev jan's pattern. Have you ever made one?
How do use onte with a newborn or a little one with little head control? My DS is 2 mos but not enough head control for a back carry or a hands free front carry.
Thanks for sharing!
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:48 AM

I have a traditional one. I love it! I don't put it on my shoulders at all, due to my fibromyalgia.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:05 AM

I have an Ellaroo wide.....And I like & dislike it. I think I would like on that isn't wide. I think they look great on smaller women cause it looks like part of thier clothing but on me....it doesn't quite look the same.

I feel that Mei tais are easier to use......and more secure
Old 01-23-2005, 05:05 AM

:

I was going to post a very similar question! I'm curious to hear other's opinions as well, esp. about how podegis (sp?) compare to mei tais, mainly for ease of use with a back carry. Also, do you prefer a wide/traditional podegi or a narrow one? Ds is 11 months old and around 25 pounds BTW. I am interested in trying a podegi but don't know what to get.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2005, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

The 3 main sources I know of are www.lovewrap.com and www.peppermint.com (they do EllaRoo podegis) for both wide and narrow podegis and www.freehandbaby.com does narrow ones but also wide by custom order and she does hmong carriers too which are similar to podegis.
The lovewraps get very good reviews and they do co-ops-I was thinking of trying to get one going since they are so reasonably priced-around $25-$35.
Any more feedback from people?

Old 01-24-2005, 06:12 PM

Well I got my podegi and it doesn't fit. I could get it on, and I love it!!! But it doesn't wrap all the way around me so makes my boobs look squished and really stupid, and the straps have to be tied under my dd's bum coz they don't quite make it around my waist.

But I LOVE IT! I have it on the Trading Post fsot. I am hoping someone will trade me for one that is slightly larger. If someone just buys it I will use the $$ to buy another larger podegi.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Well that's a bummer! Did you check out the sites I posted above-I know Freehand will custom size but not sure about lovewraps and I think Ellaroo podegis are standard sizes for the narrow and full blankets.
I keep saying I'm going to try making one but haven't gotten to that on my "to do" list
Hope you find one that works!!
Ann

Old 01-25-2005, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnR33
Well that's a bummer! Did you check out the sites I posted above-
Ya! Actrually I was going to come back here and post a thank you to you! My podegi sold tonight and I emailed Talia at Lovewrap. She was super helpful and is going to make me a custom. Lovewrap wide blanket podegi are longer than the Toot Sweet anyway so she will just extend the length of the blanket and straps by a few inches.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should get single or double blanket, and padded or unpadded straps? Any suggestions? I want to use the traditional carry mainly, and our climate gets hot in summer, so I am thinking single blanket unpadded straps. However I am carrying a toddler and will use shoulder carries sometimes. What do you think?
Old 01-25-2005, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

I'd get the single layer since you and baby will have clothes on-you'll be plenty warm I think with the full blanket And don't forget the body heat factor...
I'm not sure about padding in the staps-she can do the thin batting which is still some padding for the shoulder carries but best for the traditional carry. But others have said they can still do the traditional carry with the padded straps-but i"m sure it's bulkier-hopefully someone can chime in that's had one.
Have you posted at the babywearer? I bet they'll have some advice-and read the reviews on them-that might give you some insight too
Glad yours sold so fast for you-I went looking for it and it was sold already!
Ann

Old 01-25-2005, 12:38 AM

Oh, sorry you missed it mama! It was a great price too, coz I got it at a great price. Oh well, there are lots of beautiful podaegi as I'm finding out.

Thanks for your input. I think I will do the thin batting and the single layer blanket as you suggest. I plan to get navy blue straps, and a dark red mottled fabric for the blanket. Yum!

I'm so freakin excited.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:40 AM

Padding definalty!
Old 01-25-2005, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaper_Addict_Jen
Padding definalty!
You think I should? I'm planning to mostly use the traditional carry, which apparently padding is not so amenable to. But I'm carrying a 22 lber for longish periods.

I am pretty padded myself tho!

Hmmmmmm....

ETA: This is such high drama for me! I've never bought a *new* carrier before!
Old 01-25-2005, 04:16 AM

Quote:
The 3 main sources I know of are www.lovewrap.com and www.peppermint.com (they do EllaRoo podegis) for both wide and narrow podegis and www.freehandbaby.com does narrow ones but also wide by custom order and she does hmong carriers too which are similar to podegis.
The lovewraps get very good reviews and they do co-ops-I was thinking of trying to get one going since they are so reasonably priced-around $25-$35.
Any more feedback from people?
I might be into doing a co-op...what exactly is involved? How many people would we need?
Old 01-25-2005, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

I e-mailed them last week but haven't heard back so I'll try again and see what I can find out.

Old 01-25-2005, 11:28 AM

I would be interested in a co-op as well!
Old 01-25-2005, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

I started a thread in the co-op forum to gauge interest
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...80#post2573880

Check it out
Ann

Old 01-26-2005, 07:32 PM
Banned

I got a narrow podegai from Ellaroo for Xmas from my mom .

I wear it over my shoulders, don't quite feel comfy with the traditional yet. I have tiny titties and have an irrational fear of the thing just falling off of me
Old 01-26-2005, 07:55 PM

I have a narrow Ellaroo and a traditional Korean podegi. I much prefer the Ellaroo, since the main attraction to the podegi is ease of use and lack of bulk (I don't like messing with ABC waist straps). I don't like using the traditional wrap-around carry, because it doesn't seem all that secure, but I really like when I wrap and tie it around my shoulders.

I'm not doing much babywearing now that my ds is two and I'm preggo, but I'm really looking forward to using it with my upcoming babe
Old 01-26-2005, 10:47 PM

Ooh, a podegi thread. I love these. I make my own, and always prefer the traditional carry. Like some others who've posted, I'm pregnant and have two-year-old, so the podegi is out right now. Can't wait to wear it with the newborn, though!

I prefer no padding, and I'm experimenting with different widths of straps. If one wants to wear it over the shoulders, though, padding would be nice.

My mother wore me in a podegi when I was a baby. She can't believe they're becoming semi-popular with American mothers.

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

Old 01-26-2005, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhere to grow
Ooh, a podegi thread. I love these. Can't wait to wear it with the newborn, though!
How do you wear a newborn? Is the strap across their head to hold it up?
Ann

Old 01-27-2005, 01:55 AM

hooray!! This has been really helpful for me...I just ordered an ellaroo podegi tonight...I have been using a maya wrap but I just cant get my Ella on my back comfortably. My best friend called me and told me how great it is...so im giving it a shot.

I wish I was as cool as you ladies who are making your own....maybe one day I will figure that out!!

Thanks!
Sarah
Old 01-27-2005, 04:19 PM

Quote:
How do you wear a newborn? Is the strap across their head to hold it up?
I suppose I should re-phrase. I'm looking forward to using it with our new baby! Podegis in a traditional carry work best after head control is established, around eight weeks. If you're doing one of the front non-traditional carries, you can monitor the baby's head better and could use it from day 1.

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

Old 01-27-2005, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

ahh, that makes sense. I wondered how it would work otherwise.

Old 01-30-2005, 12:18 AM

I got my ellaroo podegi today So far I really like it. We are still trying to get comfy with it. I really do not like crossing it over my boobs....I need to look at the instructions some more for the back carry that ties over the shoulders.

We have the front carry down, but I worry about her comfort with her little legs. Well...she is practically asleep nursing here so I guess that should speak for itself!!

Many thanks!
Sarah

User Tag List