A Story about Babywearing at the Hospital - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-04-2005, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm new here but a long time lurker. Just wanted to share this story.

We had to take DD to the Emergency on Thursday night with wheezing, and we ended up staying overnight. We brought the sling with us - just in case. After she was hooked up to the pulse/breathing/ etc monitor, we wanted her to go to sleep, so my partner put her into the sling. In a few minutes her pulse rate had slowed, her breathing was more regular and she was asleep. At about 3am they gave her steroids which made her heart beat very fast and she became quite manic, but again, after going in the sling - pulse slowed, breathing more regular, calmer baby! It was so good to actually 'see' the effects measured on a monitor - babywearing really works! Even the nurse commented on 'that crane thing' : and how she was calmer in it.
#2 of 10 Old 02-05-2005, 12:47 AM

good for you!

i can imagine that kind of "scientific" proof is really encouraging!

Sarah- following my bliss, mama to 3 :
Dd to Ds: "Let's have a snack party! I got us chips, and a hammer!"
#3 of 10 Old 02-05-2005, 01:34 AM

That's awesome! I know hot babywearing can help a sick baby! My dd had an upper respiratory infection and a double ear infection and the sling was a godsend. She slept so much better and was able to breathe easier since she was upright. good for you!

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#4 of 10 Old 02-05-2005, 03:08 AM

That is awesome! {{hugs}} hope your little one is doing better now!

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#5 of 10 Old 02-05-2005, 06:34 PM

That's wonderful! I know that Mamatoto would love to have an article about that experience, if you felt up to sharing it there. It's a beautiful story.

I've always been so grateful for babywearing when my kids are hurt or sick. I wish they could stock wraps or rebozos in the ER to loan out to parents like they loan out blankets.
#6 of 10 Old 02-05-2005, 11:35 PM

How wonderful! It would be interesting to document this kind of thing! (Though I'm sorry your DD had to be in the hospital!)

I remember the day I got my first sling (a New Native) . . . DD was 2 months old. I took her for her shots (yes, we do vax!) and she was really fussy/unhappy a few hours later. My friend came over (an experienced mom) and tried everything to soothe her. I said, "Let me try the sling!" and like magic, she settled down and slept. Breastfeeding and sling-using made my life SO much easier. It's funny, people think it's because I have a non-mainstream (in general) attitude about things and THAT'S why I BF/sling, but really, it's because I'm lazy (err, efficient!).

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#7 of 10 Old 02-06-2005, 02:55 PM

I'm sorry your babe had to be hospitalized. What a great story, though, and so encourageing to see the proof!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#8 of 10 Old 02-06-2005, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius
It's funny, people think it's because I have a non-mainstream (in general) attitude about things and THAT'S why I BF/sling, but really, it's because I'm lazy (err, efficient!).
Ha ha! Me too. Though the real reason I cloth diaper is because laundry is my secret fetish. he he.

She is much better, thankyou all for your concern It was just croup, but scarey nonetheless. I do think the hospital staff were a little suspicious of the sling, as in, they looked concerned at her being in it; but they couldn't argue with their own monitors. They kept her under observation for 4 hours to see whether the steroids would make her heart beat too quickly..and it didn't. Yeah to the Power of Sling!

It made me wonder if there have been any studies done on babywearing in circumstances like these. I wished some of my more mainstream friends could have been there; I think if they'd been able to SEE the proof on the l monitor, they would have been convinced, y'know?

Morgainesmama, I love that site! I would be happy to write an article about it for them. And yes, to slings in ER!
#9 of 10 Old 02-20-2005, 01:32 PM

hi!
i wish i'd have had a sling when n went to emergency. they were even weirded out by me nursing and kept saying "formula" in reference to his food and then would backpeddle as i glared at them, floundering for a way to say "breastmilk" w/o having to say breast.
gah, grown men who can't say breast. doctors, no less. puh-leeze.
#10 of 10 Old 02-20-2005, 04:08 PM

My youngest daughter has broken both of her arms in her first 3 years (what can I say - poor prenatal nutrition, a very thin frame, and a`CLIMBER. Urgh!) Both times I had to take her to the ER, I put her in the sling until they could take care of her. (I also ended up using a doll sling to support her arm :LOL) - it was just so much easier to keep her arm stable, so it didn't hurt so much, if I had her right against my body. That way I could still move, she could still talk to the doctors, we could still go out to the hallway for a drink from the drinking fountain.....and I didn't have to worry about my arms wearing out, or trying to restrain her.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page