Differences between a KKAFP and PEA IN A POD??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-08-2005, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone had experience with both of these? I wish I could afford to try both,when I am not even sure if I can afford to try one yet. It is a toss up between the kangaroo korner fleece, and the pea in a pod sling. I know they are similar, with 4 or 5 rows of snaps. can i wear dd on the back in either of them. THANK YOU for helping with this decision!!
#2 of 12 Old 02-08-2005, 07:40 PM

The main difference is the material. KK are fleece and the PIP is hemp fleece cotton (like a sweatshirt material). The hemp fleece is warm but not nearly as hot as the fleece can get. I have both and I like the PIP alot. It does stretch out after a long while and I wash it on cold and dry it for about 10 min and it's right back in shape. The KKAFP "may" be a tiny but deeper-I'd have to measure for sure it's just a thought.
I like them both-one for winter and the other for warmer months. So if you had to pick one you could always dress them warmer in the cold and get the PIP.
Good luck
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#3 of 12 Old 02-08-2005, 07:42 PM

I have them both and like them really well

The fit is similar and, yes, you can wear either on your back (though I probably wouldn't for long amounts of time, because of back pain). If I were to have only one, though, I would probably choose the Pea in a Pod pouch. The KKAFP is great, but IME can only be worn comfortably during the cooler months of the year---I know that the website says it's fine during warmer months, but I haven't found that to be the case. The PIP is comfy year-round; not too hot during the summer, but snuggly enough during the winter. The KKAFP does seem to be a little more stretchy, but the PIP is definately stretchy enough to give a comfortable fit.

I love both of these carriers---I'm actually on my second of each!---and I'd imagine that you'd be happy whatever your choice.
#4 of 12 Old 02-08-2005, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Did the makers of the PIP reopen their site, or were you going to look for one on ebay?

I have both, and LOVE my PIP the bestest. In fact, I have two. It's my fave carrier ever. One thing I really like about it is that the fabric doesn't bunch or slide down your shoulder like other fabrics do -- it has just enough body and grab to stay in place.
#5 of 12 Old 02-08-2005, 08:56 PM

I just order my pea from ebay about 2-3 wks. ago. Her site is still down because her ds is very sick and is in the hospital. Just keep checking ebay though.

Hugs~

Lisa:bf

(BTW~I love my Pea too)

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#6 of 12 Old 02-08-2005, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU ALL!! I think I will search for a PIP. Now the question is size, I think I am on the threshhold between sizes, and my daughter is 22 lbs, because she is quite heavy if I go up to a medium will she pull it down too far, will a small hold her closer and snugger? And has anyone found that they felt the PIP sizing ran a little small or big? Thank you all again for your kind help!!
#7 of 12 Old 02-08-2005, 09:57 PM

She is not doing EBAY anymore for new pouches but she does have one available right now at www.hyenacart.com under mom and me creations
Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

#8 of 12 Old 02-08-2005, 10:59 PM

Re: sizing...I wear a small KKAFP and can wear a XS/S or S PIP. I fit those sizes best at the non-preggo (lol) measurement of a 38" bust, and at 38" am at the largest or next-to-largest snap setting.
HTH
#9 of 12 Old 02-08-2005, 11:10 PM

I am 5'0 100 lbs. and have a 21 lb., 21 mo. dd and the size small is just great!

Good Luck~

Lisa:bf

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#10 of 12 Old 02-09-2005, 12:12 AM

I have owned both, and much much prefer the PIP also. My fav part is the tapered sholder. and yes she's not selling on ebay right now...

as for sizing i'm about 130lbs(still carring 15bls extra baby weight), 5'4 and wear a small PIP on the smallest or second to the smallest snap settings. I had to trade my KKAFP b/c it was a small and it was to small to nurse in. i would need a med in a KKAFP. HTH!!!
#11 of 12 Old 02-09-2005, 04:45 AM

I can't be the only one to like the KK better??

I have both too and I reach for my KKAFP EVERYTIME!! My back is not good and I find the stretch of the KKAFP much better then the PIP. Now I love the way the hemp fleece feels to the touch, I is just not nearly as comfy on IMO.
The tapered shoulder made absolutely no difference to me and I found the extra snaps unnecessary and cumbersome.

It is a nice pouch, just IMO not as great as the KKAFP.
KangarooKorner "invented" the adjustAable pouch. And to me that really shows!! (ok, ok, so I am a fan ;-)

Kelley, wife to Charlie, SAHM to Xian (8) Piper (7) Arah (4) Ever (2) Thrace (5.09)
: : : : : EC:
#12 of 12 Old 02-09-2005, 06:03 AM

I think this is a tough call! I do like the narrowness of the shoulder on the PiP, and I also like the fact that it is easier to get a toddler in/out who is wearing SHOES because it is so darn stretchy. However, the fact that it IS so stretchy can be a problem, too. Fit is key with any carrier, and as long as you can get your DC in, the higher/the tighter the better . . .with a PiP (IME), you can't guarantee how long during your wearing session that it will fit the way you want it to because of the stretch. I also don't love the rails on a PiP for a newborn.

As for the coolness of the fabric, I think the difference is only marginal. I probably wouldn't use either on a hot day for something like a cradle hold.

One benefit of the PiP is the padded rail . . .it just seems like it would be more comfy (for your DC) for a hip carry.

Anyway, since your DD is so heavy, are you planning on using this for short or long periods? (I'd recommend only for short with a one-shoulder carrier and your DD's weight.) Another pouch option is a hotslings . . .

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page