Let's chat about EVERYTHING Podaegi - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 02-11-2005, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you like yours? Where did you get it?

I love the traditional Podaegi's. So beautiful. Look at these pictures I just googled:

http://www.beofen-tv.co.il/cgi-bin/c...90%D7%A0%D7%99

And look at this one:
http://www.celebratechild.com/cultur...orea/KC118.htm

This is a very informative site:
http://oranckay.net/podaegi/
#2 of 32 Old 02-11-2005, 06:55 PM

I think they are so beautiful. I've wanted to try one for a long time, I just think DH would have a fit if I bought one more carrier, especially since I just purchased a beautiful custom ABC. But after checking out the pages you posted and seeing this link I am going to MAKE one!!!! Yay! An excuse to buy more fabric...

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/printpodeagi.html

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#3 of 32 Old 02-11-2005, 09:08 PM

We were just talking about this topic
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=238617

I have one from www.freehandbaby.com that is reversible fleece and interlock that I'm just starting to use since my 3 mos old is gaining neck strength. I'm still experimenting with getting the ties right and such but I think I'm gonna like it a lot.
I also have a narrow blanket ordered from www.lovewrap.com

I have some fabric that I'd really like to try making one with too with the above listed directions (of course, this is with the other 3 carriers I'd like to try to make someday too )

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#4 of 32 Old 02-11-2005, 09:19 PM

Another podaegi fan here!

I bought one that was too small for me, fell in love with it, sold it, and bought another one custom made extra long from Lovewrap. It just arrived the other day and . It has navy straps and a dark red mottled blanket. Very thin and lightweight, and much less unweildy fabric than my wrap carrier.

It took a few tries to get the hang of wearing it, particularly getting the straps tight enough to keep dd close to me. And I looked really weird with it tied around my waist... made my boobs look HUGE and somehow detached from my body. So now instead of tying around my waist I am bringing the straps up and tying them above my breasts (sort of like where they are tied in a wrap carrier rucksack hold). MUCH more flattering.

Anyway I'm lovin it and excited to see another podaegi thread!
#5 of 32 Old 02-11-2005, 09:47 PM

So thismama-did you get the padded strap or thin batting? So glad you're liking it!! Can't wait for mine- I got the paper bag strap with reversible navy/hot pink print
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#6 of 32 Old 02-13-2005, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking about getting the Ellaroo podaegi. This fabric:
http://store1.yimg.com/I/peppermintcom_1827_2457487

But, could someone tell me - can I do a high back carry? Jack loves to be able to look over my shoulder so I want that option.

I just want everything. I would like to get an Ellaroo wrap through the co-op but don't know if I can wait that long. I'm going to Florida in Mid March and would like a new carrier for the trip.

I'm also coveting a babyfairies mei tei in this fabric:
http://www.babyfairies.com/images/swedish_vine_red.jpg

I swear. Its an addiction.
#7 of 32 Old 02-13-2005, 04:15 PM

Oh I love that fabric-orange is my current passion
Ann

#8 of 32 Old 02-14-2005, 11:21 PM

Thank you so much for posting those links!

I was going to post this week myslef asking where/if it might be possible to buy a true podeagi from Korea. You must be a better net-surfer than me, since I had no real luck!

Karin, mom to W (6.5) and wife to B.Babywearing Educator serving New England since 2005. NBPBWI-trained
#9 of 32 Old 02-14-2005, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnR33
So thismama-did you get the padded strap or thin batting? So glad you're liking it!! Can't wait for mine- I got the paper bag strap with reversible navy/hot pink print
Ann

Geez, sorry, I missed this. I got the thin batting because I heard/read (I think on the Babywearer reviews) that padded straps make it really hard to tie the traditional carry tight enough. I wasn't worried about comfort coz I have enough padding of my own! I haven't tried a shoulder carry yet... maybe I will when my dd gets home from her papa's.
#10 of 32 Old 02-15-2005, 12:29 AM

Thanks so much for the links! I just ordered the celtic flowers print from Free Hand Baby, and I am so excited to try it out!!!! I have been looking at the Mei Tae and the Ella roo wrap . . . . but the mei tae is just sooooo beautiful!

[/SIZE]Hmmmmm . . . how to hide purchase from husband . . .
#11 of 32 Old 02-15-2005, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanyclaire
I think they are so beautiful. I've wanted to try one for a long time, I just think DH would have a fit if I bought one more carrier, especially since I just purchased a beautiful custom ABC. But after checking out the pages you posted and seeing this link I am going to MAKE one!!!! Yay! An excuse to buy more fabric...

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/printpodeagi.html

Ooh, neat! I was going to try to model one after a friend's, but this makes it very easy

Now to just make it to the fabric store....:LOL
#12 of 32 Old 02-15-2005, 02:23 PM

Julie, let us know what you decide! I'm all curious, lol. I should have seen this thread before seeing you yesterday...you can definately do a high back carry (I kinda did one with Tristan), it just takes some practice. I don't think you could do it without wrapping over your shoulders, but it's definately possible
#13 of 32 Old 02-16-2005, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzmeg
Julie, let us know what you decide! I'm all curious, lol. I should have seen this thread before seeing you yesterday...you can definately do a high back carry (I kinda did one with Tristan), it just takes some practice. I don't think you could do it without wrapping over your shoulders, but it's definately possible
You know, I'm throwing around the idea of making one. I kind of want to make one with a wide blanket and see if I like it.

I'd love to see pics of anyone who has made their own podaegi!!!
#14 of 32 Old 02-18-2005, 01:44 AM

I made one and it was REALLY easy. I'll get dh to take some pics of it with me and dd tomorrow. I used a pretty batik print for one side and a black quilted but not padded for the other side. Then for the straps I used black soft and wide canvas type webbing that they sell in the fabric store. I have no idea what most people who buy it use it for, but I saw it and it inspired me to try. It does kind of make my breasts look freakishly large, but they kind of do even when I'm not wearing it....
#15 of 32 Old 02-22-2005, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistermama
I made one and it was REALLY easy. I'll get dh to take some pics of it with me and dd tomorrow. I used a pretty batik print for one side and a black quilted but not padded for the other side. Then for the straps I used black soft and wide canvas type webbing that they sell in the fabric store. I have no idea what most people who buy it use it for, but I saw it and it inspired me to try. It does kind of make my breasts look freakishly large, but they kind of do even when I'm not wearing it....
\
Well, mama, let's see it!

Does anyone know where I can find reviews on the Ellaroo podaegi with the long blanket?
#16 of 32 Old 02-22-2005, 07:15 PM

:LOL ok, I actually took them yesterday. I'll post tonight.
#17 of 32 Old 02-26-2005, 02:29 AM

Sorry this took so long, my computer was INFESTED with spyware. I think I've finally got it all off now, and am running at a decent speed. So here are my podeagi pictures.
#18 of 32 Old 03-03-2005, 01:30 PM

Nice pictures, Sarah. Lucy looks so snug on your back. I love the colours in your podeagi.
Would it work to make one out of fleece? (I happen to have some left from another project.)
#19 of 32 Old 03-03-2005, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardermom
Would it work to make one out of fleece? (I happen to have some left from another project.)
I have one that has a fleece body and twill straps and it works great. Not sure how fleece straps would work though
Ann

#20 of 32 Old 03-04-2005, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardermom
Nice pictures, Sarah. Lucy looks so snug on your back. I love the colours in your podeagi.
Thanks Melanie. I pmed you about the fleece.
#21 of 32 Old 03-04-2005, 06:24 AM

I needed a carrier for in the kitchen, so I literally grabbed a clean kicthen towel and soem scrap fabric and sewed a padagi up in just a few minutes. It works well, and washes up so nice! I sewed fleese onto the straps right in the center over the towel for DD and my shoulders.
#22 of 32 Old 03-04-2005, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Sarah,
Pretty, pretty Podaegi!!!

I ended up getting an Ellaroo wide of the TP. I don't have it yet. I can't wait to try it out!
#23 of 32 Old 03-04-2005, 11:34 PM

been lurking around here thinking of making my own - so, sistermama, beautiful pics. Can i clarify - you had the straps run all the way through the top of the podaegi? They're not just sewn onto each end, right? thanks!
#24 of 32 Old 03-05-2005, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinx
been lurking around here thinking of making my own - so, sistermama, beautiful pics. Can i clarify - you had the straps run all the way through the top of the podaegi? They're not just sewn onto each end, right? thanks!
Thanks! You're right about the straps. If you look closely at the fourth picture, you can see the channel that I sewed for the straps to go through. I then sewed big zig zags (which you can also see) to stabilize the strap.
#25 of 32 Old 03-05-2005, 01:25 PM

I made my fleece Podaegi yesterday.I had some material left from when I made my wrap out of a sheet.I used this as my straps. My frugal Podaegi. :LOL
#26 of 32 Old 03-15-2005, 09:25 PM

I recently made myself a fleece podaegi with canvas straps. I really like it, it's super snuggly!
My son was sick today so I carried him around in it for a while. It was so nice! He's getting to be pretty heavy now, and because of the condition of my back and how far along I am in pregnancy, I have doctors orders not to pick him up at all. Today there was no avoiding carrying him though, my husband had to work, and I had to get my son to the doctor. But on my back it hardly stressed it at all. It was a good carrying day!
Anyway, I got off on a tangent. Yes, fleece it good! I am leary of using for straps as well. You could use it, but because of the stretch you have have to readjust and tighten. I like it with a woven strap.
#27 of 32 Old 03-16-2005, 01:33 PM

nak
My fleece podaegi turned out great. I used strips of cotton sheet that I had already cut up, for the straps. That worked out nicely.
I have been using it frequently since I made it a week and a half ago. I love it. It is so comfortable. I use it around my torso, no shoulder straps.
I had to work at getting it tight enough, and at positioning Arowen's legs so they were comfortable, but I've got it down now and it's great.
My podaegi is sort of in between a wide and narrow, it's sort of a medium one. The fleece blanket comes around to my sides, but not around the front. It works out fine.
#28 of 32 Old 03-25-2005, 12:11 AM

I've been trying to use more of my "strange" baby carriers in public lately in order to get people used to seeing them. I finally got up this nerve this morning to put the podaegi on in the grocery store parking lot and was successful!! Yay! I am really feeling the podaegi love lately, as I get more used to using it. It is so comfy and dd really likes it.

Here are some of the moronic comments I received:
-Well, now I have seen it ALL (said in a very snarky and rude manner)
-Hey!!!!! That baby is about to fall out!!!!!
-I can tell that she is very uncomfortable in there. (she was asleep)
#29 of 32 Old 03-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy&Will
I'm thinking about getting the Ellaroo podaegi. This fabric:
http://store1.yimg.com/I/peppermintcom_1827_2457487
My mom bought me that exact podaegi for Xmas. I love, love, love, love it. The fabric is soooooo pretty. We've only used it in the back carry so far.
#30 of 32 Old 03-25-2005, 08:47 PM

Can i make one out of two layers of (good quality) quilting cotton?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page