Slings on Airplanes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2005, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...read that United does not allow any type of harness that hold the baby to the chest on board.

What the heck?! Has anyone had experience either wearing their child in a sling on a plane or having a stewardess tell them that they are not allowed.

Also, any idea why this is a rule? We've purchased a seat for DD and plan to strap her in during takeoff and landing.

Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2005, 04:15 AM

i've taken ds on an airplane lots of times. i wear the sling on and wait and see. some stewardess make me take it off and some don't. it's only for take off and landing. once the taxi on the runway begins i put him back in (well did anyway, now he gets his own seat). kinda sneaky but i didn't care.
i don't know why it's a rule. i think it should be up to the parent, imo.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:20 AM

I always have used mine On many a United flights...

I have to hold him across my chest on take off and landing if I do not use a sling..which is essentially what a sling does.

Weird.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
Old 03-02-2005, 04:38 AM

I've been told a few times to take dd out of the sling. I dont remember which airlines though.

j
Old 03-02-2005, 04:47 AM

It's been over a year for me and I didn't fly United, but I couldn't live without my sling when traveling by plane. Those bathrooms are so tiny that it's easier to sling the baby and pee with the baby strapped to me. Also, it's easier when eating to sling the baby so I didn't have to juggle my tray table and food AND baby. We also purchased a seat and brought our car seat on board. But they don't like to sit in the car seat the whole time. Another use I found for it was that I could hold a sleeping baby and doze off myself and not worry about dropping the baby.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:03 AM

Kava, the baby came?!?!!?

Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
Old 03-02-2005, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just traveled on Northwest last week and on one flight they said I had to take him out and hold him and on the other they didn't say anything but I think it was because I was nursing and I didn't make eye contact -he he
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:45 PM

I've flown with my son many times. Before he was about 10 months old, I didn't own a stroller, and he'd been in a car seat only a few times.

I was once told to take him out of his sling during takeoff and landing. The idea being, if there's a crash during takeoff or landing, you at least won't crush the child when your body is violently thrown forward, bending at the waist. Instead, the child will fly out of your arms. I guess that's more survivable...

Once my son was past infancy, and no longer sling-able (with my back, anyway), it was far easier to get him his own seat, and strap him in to a car seat. I still sometimes took him out of it during the flight, but once my son got to be a certain age, if I held him in my lap (with or without a sling) I'd just get beat up.

FWIW, travelling by yourself with a toddler isn't a whole lot of fun. With an infant in a sling, it's pretty easy...with both, I can't imagine, even with a partner : ...
Old 03-02-2005, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldabee

FWIW, travelling by yourself with a toddler isn't a whole lot of fun. With an infant in a sling, it's pretty easy...with both, I can't imagine, even with a partner : ...
We just went from Seattle to Iowa last week with a 3 mos old, 3 yr old and 6 yr old and it was a breeze. I had snacks and books and diversions for the older ones and the baby either slept in the pouch or nursed so we had no troubles.

Now I'm not so sure about when the baby is 1 yr...LOL
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:03 PM

I took Trystan on a flight when he was about 6 months old and had him in my sling (couldn't afford a seat for him). I was told that I needed to remove him from the sling for take-off and landing, but that was all. I was able to have him in it for the rest of the flight without any issue.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:24 PM

I've flown 8 times w/ ds, always in the sling, never bought a seat for him. This is the first I've heard of that policy. But I haven't flown United.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:49 PM

I've used the sling on many many flights and never had a problem. I didnt know there was any rule about them, but I'll see what happens when we fly later this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnR33
We just went from Seattle to Iowa last week with a 3 mos old, 3 yr old and 6 yr old and it was a breeze. I had snacks and books and diversions for the older ones and the baby either slept in the pouch or nursed so we had no troubles.
Wow, I hope our next flight goes as easily, although I doubt it! We're flying to London with a 4 yo, a 2 yo and a 3 month old. The baby rarely sleeps, so I cant count on him being easy. What's more, we have to connect through Frankfurt with a 3 hr layover. Ugh.

I"m now shopping for a bag full of stuff to keep them entertained. Maybe I should jsut get myself a bottle of gin instead.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:55 PM

I have to admit I love flying with my toddler, and I am always solo. I just flew from NY to Vancouver to Missouri and back to NY, and then to NY to Missouri to Florida and back to NY this year....and we had a ball!!

Such a fun learning and exploring opportunity for my 2 year old plane enthusiast!!! He is a charm. Of course we sit over the wing so I can count on a nap of some sort.

Old 03-02-2005, 08:11 PM

I've heard that it's cause they can't trust the slings to keep baby attached to you and in the event of a crash the body is easier to identify cause its strapped on to a fare paying adult body with a lap belt and that they can identify through tickets and seats and stuff.

Can't remember where I heard that though and I think it's a bit sick myself.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:22 PM

Oh yeah. lol Feb 17th. I still haven't written down a detailed birth story. Life with 3 kids is very time consuming. Her name is Amelie but we haven't even done the birth certificate yet. Here she is with Skanda http://people.delphiforums.com/MIAUX.../skandamei.jpg
Old 10-20-2005, 05:48 AM

I just thought I would shed some more light on the "no sling during takeoff & landing". As a former flight attendant, I learned that take-off and landing are the most likely times for an incident to occur. In the event that you had to make a speedy exit, keeping in mind the different degrees of circumstances, a sling, snuggli, purse, or anything really that is strapped to your body could catch you up on a seat or another part of the aircraft slowing down your "getaway".
This is not supposed to be a scary posting, just informative.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:57 PM

last summer we took our then 15 mo on a trip and never heard a word about flying with the sling.. this was thru several plane changes and different size aircraft... but it was on southwest
Old 10-21-2005, 01:57 PM

8 month old DD has been on 12 flights, all of them in a sling or ergo. We've never been asked to take the carriers off once we're on the plane (we have had to take the ergo off at security).
Old 10-22-2005, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunama
in the event of a crash the body is easier to identify cause its strapped on to a fare paying adult body with a lap belt

But they don't have you use the seatbelt with a lapbaby. Takeoff, landing, and in between they are just sitting (and standing and dancing) on your lap.

My guy has always refused the sling or wrap or whatever when sitting down, so that wasn't an option. And my arms are stronger than my back, oddly, so even carrying him through the airport I just carried him.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:11 AM

Seems inconvenient to have to remove the sling at takeoff and landing--exactly the times you're supposed to be breastfeeding to help with baby's pressure adjustment, right?
Old 10-25-2005, 10:34 AM

We've flown with DD on 6 or 8 flights in the last 15 months and on only ONE did they not ask me to take her out for take-off and landing, and that was because she was very teeny and hid by the sling. I guess I have bad luck with stewardesses.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:45 AM

We flew with ds in a pouch (domestic and international) and never had a problem. We began bringing a car seat when he was 1yo and never had to pay for a seat. I would lean in to the seat to nurse on takeoff and landing. I much preferred the sling/pouch for travel but felt like we had to have him in a seat for safety.

With dd we flew int'l this past summer when she was 1yo and didn't bother bringing a car seat. I had her in a Storchenweige wrap the entire time. Cradle position wrap nursing on takeoff and landing. In flight, she was tied to me using enough length of Storch so she could play in the empty seat next to me but if there was turbulence she would presumably be safer. It was great!

I also walked through security each time with her in the wrap and it wasn't a problem.

I guess it depends on the time/day/mood of the flight attendant or security personell.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:56 AM

I have also worn my sling many times, on every flight (5) since ds was born. Only once I was told not to wear during take off and landing. During take off I slipped him out and then quickly put him back in once we started moving and the flight attendant had sat back down (I had to nurse, and wanted to discreetly). Then ds was sleeping on landing, in the sling and she didn't bother to tell me to take him off. I am not quite sure why they do this, it makes me much calmer to have ds in sling, especially if something went wrong, I would have both hands!

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
Old 10-25-2005, 11:37 AM

I flew 4 times on Delta with my 10 month old in a Maya wrap the whole time and no one said a thing to me. My seatmate noticed my dd's hand coming up over the top edge of the sling while I was nursing her in our seat and said, "I didn't even know you had a baby in there!" So maybe that explains why the flight attendants never said anything to me. They must have thought I was quite a large woman if they didn't know I had a 20 pound child on my chest!

User Tag List