KKAFP lovers what do you do in summer? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 03-02-2005, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am day-dreaming of spring and summer in cold, wintery, Michigan here, already and am wondering now that I am head over heels in love with my KKAFP and don't think I can ever go to an uncomfortable ring sling (let alone my solarveil ring sling the most uncomfortable of them all) what am I to do this summer? Is there any sling out there that has a fabric that can come close to the snugness and security of the fleece fabric which isn't tight at all, without being hot? I tried the zolowear stretch pouch and first missed the adjustability of my KKAFP and second really didn't feel the stretch I was looking for..

So what do you all do in summer for a summer version of a KKAFP?

Thanx!
Jenn
#2 of 27 Old 03-02-2005, 06:20 PM

Hi Jenn,

I was thinking the same exact thing a few months ago. I love my KKAFP and was wondering what I was going to use for the summer. I have quite a bit of cotton pouches which I love, but even the stretchy ones aren't like the KKAFP's stretch. Also, I find with my non-adjustable pouches, if they are a perfect fit for the hip carry and t2t, then I can't fit my baby in it for the cradle carry.

Here's the exciting news! There's a new sling system coming out in April called The SlingSet. I'm going to be testing it out soon so I'll let you know how it goes, but you can read about its features here

http://theslingset.com/index.html

The website is still in progress. It sounds like something which will really work for me because of the stretchy fabric and the adjustability, not to mention the versatility of positions.

Tereasa
#3 of 27 Old 03-03-2005, 10:23 AM

I found my hotsling, in one of the stretch fabrics, to be the best "summer weight" substitute for my KKAFP. I didn't find the KKACP's to be all that comfy - I really prefer the hotsling.
#4 of 27 Old 03-03-2005, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TereasaT
Here's the exciting news! There's a new sling system coming out in April called The SlingSet. I'm going to be testing it out soon so I'll let you know how it goes, but you can read about its features here

oh you tease how can I wait until April? I am very impatient when it comes to my slings! Let us know how it goes and how you like it!

Happy slinging
Jenn
#5 of 27 Old 03-03-2005, 12:08 PM

Just wanted to wave & say "hi Jenn!" I miss seeing you & your dd at first steps, hope you're doing well!

I never got a KKAFP but I am planning on getting a hotsling or similar with a little give for summer... I'm interested to learn more about the slingset though!

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#6 of 27 Old 03-03-2005, 12:10 PM

Oh wow, I just saw that slingset is manufactured by hotslings? I have a feeling it'll be very popular!

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#7 of 27 Old 03-03-2005, 12:48 PM

Okay, you mamas are getting me even more excited to try it out. Kristen of Hotslings e-mailed a few days ago that she was sewing my tester now. I think it will be very popular, too, not only because of its function, but because it is associated with the Hotslings name. I love my Hotslings and the quality is superb.

Actually, the pouch was designed by a mama right here on MDC - Kristy aka Tupelo Honey.

Tereasa
#8 of 27 Old 03-03-2005, 09:35 PM

I love my KKAFP (another Michigander here), and I also love my Pea in a Pod (by Mom and Me Creations) hemp fleece pouch. It's not the same, but it's also adjustable and has some stretch and recovery. I plan to use that in the summer.

That said, I use my fleece pouch throughout summer. I rarely spend large amounts of time in the direct sun in summertime. If I'm going on a walk, I use a cotton wrap.

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

#9 of 27 Old 03-04-2005, 03:30 AM

I will use my fleece pouch in the summer, just indoors. With my back I can't use a one shoulder sling without a good amount of give for very long. I just got a couple mamababies and I just put one on first with ds in the kangaroo carry (which hurts my back the most) and was amazed at how comfy it was. It is the stretchy material I swear!! That would be much cooler in summer.

I am excited about the slingset too. Kristi and Kristen are awsome!!

Kelley, wife to Charlie, SAHM to Xian (8) Piper (7) Arah (4) Ever (2) Thrace (5.09)
: : : : : EC:
#10 of 27 Old 03-05-2005, 06:24 PM

Oh, I just noticed that there are a couple of pictures of the "slingset" now! Maybe it was there before & I just didn't notice, not sure...

http://pub5.bravenet.com/photocenter...23&album=24527

#11 of 27 Old 03-20-2005, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyPage
Just wanted to wave & say "hi Jenn!" I miss seeing you & your dd at first steps, hope you're doing well!

I never got a KKAFP but I am planning on getting a hotsling or similar with a little give for summer... I'm interested to learn more about the slingset though!

Hey Elizabeth! Thanx for saying howdy! we miss you guys too! we should really get together sometime and hang out!

Maybe we can try out our new summer slings, I keep contemplating an oopa but am not looking forward to the point where I tell dh how much it was

Hope to see you soon!
Jenn
#12 of 27 Old 03-20-2005, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My fave is the Mom and Me PIP. Made from stretchy hemp fleece. They are only available on a limited basis, but check the TP and ebay.
#13 of 27 Old 03-20-2005, 01:34 PM

If you are interested in the Mom and Me Creations PIP, she sells them here.

http://hyenacart.com/momandmecreations/

Yesterday, there were three available. She did say she will continue to be making them when time allows. I have one coming to me so I can't comment on them yet.

Tereasa
#14 of 27 Old 03-22-2005, 02:27 PM

I think the OP read my mind. I am also in love with my KKAFP but we've already had 60 degree days here and my 6 week old is already starting to get hot in it!

I noticed they make a cotton one. Anyone tired it? Or is it just not the same (the stretchiness/snugness is also what I -- and baby -- love).

http://www.kangarookorner.com/k_shop...s_cotton.shtml
#15 of 27 Old 03-26-2005, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't tried the KKACP but I have heard it isn't the same.. It would really take an interesting fabric to be so stretchy, cozy, without being warm or losing it's shape... But I am now torn between an oopa silk sling, the sling set by hotslings or a PIP by mom and me..

ahh too many slings too little cash
#16 of 27 Old 03-27-2005, 09:14 PM

I'm so glad I saw this post! I LOVE LOVE LOVE my KKAFP, but my ds is a definite hot body, and the temps get into the 90s here in the summer - I don't want to broil my baby, lol! Do the Mom & Me PIPs work like the KKAFPs? (i.e. adjustable w/snaps, stretchy enough to accommodate a very tall 9 month old, etc.)
#17 of 27 Old 04-01-2005, 05:54 PM

ok - it's April! JK! Wondering about this new set! Sounds exciting!
#18 of 27 Old 04-11-2005, 07:41 PM

:
#19 of 27 Old 04-12-2005, 01:53 PM

For those asking about the KKACP, it is not really stretchy enough to make it comparable to the fleece. It's also a very formed pouch, which some people find less than ideal for the hip carry. It is nice fabric and a nice pouch, but not the summer twin of the KKAFP that you might be looking for.
#20 of 27 Old 04-12-2005, 02:10 PM

Oooo... The Slingset looks nice!

I am a lover of the KKAFP but it is so freakin hot here already it's too hot for fleece. Even the PIP is too hot here after April.

I have a stretch hotsling and I really like it but I want something that is lightweight and equally stretchy as the KKAFP.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#21 of 27 Old 04-12-2005, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TereasaT
Hi Jenn,

Tereasa
I also have a "tester" Slingset on it's way! It should be here today or tomorrow I think! I am excited to try it out! Hoping it will be a cool alternative to my KKAFP, which I love

Mama to DD 8 * DS 6 * DS 2
Expecting #4 Late Nov 2011
#22 of 27 Old 04-14-2005, 02:58 PM

Ok, so I got my Slingset pouch yesterday and I LOVE it!!

My 7 week old is sleeping in it right now (and has been since I got it lol)! I absolutely LOVE the fabric! *Very* soft and stretchy. I'm not sure I've ever felt this type of fabric (nor do I know what type it is!) but it is AWESOME! We spent all day outside yesterday since the weather was beautiful and I didn't get hot! It is a very breathable fabric! A for sure warm weather replacement for my fleece pouch!! Great spring/summer colors too! (I have the green)

#23 of 27 Old 04-14-2005, 03:41 PM

Darn it all, show us some pictures of the slingset. I'm having a hard time understanding it. Is it one or 2 pouches? Details momma, details!
#24 of 27 Old 04-15-2005, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikandgeisel
Darn it all, show us some pictures of the slingset. I'm having a hard time understanding it. Is it one or 2 pouches? Details momma, details!
Well, I just have one pouch. From what I understand though, there are other "peices" you can buy in addition to the pouch. A wide support band to wrap around the waist giving more support, or use an additional pouch to carry in different positions like shown on the website or double it up for a layered look. That's all the help I can be! lol I just figured out this much from looking at the pics on her site... http://theslingset.com/index.html

#25 of 27 Old 04-15-2005, 02:07 PM

Oooo... I can't wait. I so need a not-sweaty but still-stretchy pouch! Anyone know what the MSRP is gonna be?

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#26 of 27 Old 04-15-2005, 03:00 PM

I tried to explain how the SlingSet works in this thread.

http://69.20.14.30/discussions/showthread.php?t=273832

As far as prices, Kristy did let me know estimated prices, but maybe she will chime in with the definite prices.

Tereasa
#27 of 27 Old 04-15-2005, 07:19 PM

You can't order just quite yet, but you can take a look at the prices for The SlingSet here:

http://www.theslingset.com/shop/

Tereasa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page