Hip carry sling for plus sized mama who hopes to loose weight and *still* use sling? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-09-2005, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dh and I are very soon going to be trying to loose some weight together (just waiting to get settled into the new place and getting some excersize stuff)

I *know* I've seen adjustable pouches, but its beyond me now where I've seen them, and even if I had, I want to know if these are good for plus sized mamas? And if so, will it "shrink" with me well?

I've also got the problem of the very round shoulders. Standard ring slings either end up at my neck, or have to be around the very top of my arm past my shoulder. They just will NOT sit on my shoulder right, even with the cap flap open. Just. Will. Not. Same thing for bras, shirts, purses, its a curse I tell you! A curse!

I can't use my kozy on a hip carry. I dunno why, I just can't. Tried and tried and tried and its just not comfortable and the straps are all weird (even when following directions).

So that leads me to think that a pouch would be good (I've got one here that's too small, but at least I can do that fold thing on the shoulder and it stays put), but I don't want to invest a lot of $$ and then loose weight and it doesn't fit anymore. I so can't sew, so shrinking it myself isn't happening.

I've seen various hip carrier slings too. Are those good? I don't really like the look of the "backpack on the hip" deal, and they just look so BIG. I'd like a nice little piece of fabric to just throw in the diaper bag, throw on me, plop babe in type of deal.

So, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

:

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#2 of 6 Old 03-10-2005, 02:37 AM

Can you sew? Here's directions to make one. http://www.ida.net/users/stace/sling.html

You could just make it smaller as you get smaller. Or different fabrics for different sizes. Have fun!

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#3 of 6 Old 03-10-2005, 03:09 AM

I like using my wrap for hip carries, and it will def. still be usable after you loose weight.

I do a hip cross carry with my wrap and it works great for DS. It should stay spread out on even the roundest of shoulders too..

There are no sew instructions for making one at www.mamatoto.org
#4 of 6 Old 03-10-2005, 05:47 AM

I second getting a wrap! You can use it in a hip carry and it's pretty much a one size fits all deal.
#5 of 6 Old 03-10-2005, 03:19 PM

http://hyenacart.com/momandmecreations has in stock, awesome adjustable pouches. She added an extra row of snaps to a larger size for me so it would fit longer. ETA her site is www.momandmepouch.com

And www.wisewomansling.com has ring pouches, which will adjust to whatever size. And they are awesome

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#6 of 6 Old 03-10-2005, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Meco I will check out the linky!

Monica I can't sew to save my life! Otherwise I would sew one myself... Thanks for the link though!

Heather, and... Heather! :LOL I LOVED my moby when Orion was tiny (maybe I should have included would work for a toddler, lol!) and I made a kimi as well which I liked but I could never ever get it down with the hip carry either. Tried and tried it just never felt right and took too long. I could do the back and front carries easy peasy, but that hip one just eluded me badly. Jackson's Mama has those two slings now in a different state while her little one goes through some serious medical care. But I tried them out a LOT and am confident they just aren't quite for me for a hip carry (but boy were they awesome before Orion hit 25lbs and 32inches!)

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page