Rookie ring sling question re newborn - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2005, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a pouch sling for my babe to be, but also want a ring sling (I think) as well. Can you sling a very young baby chest-to-chest with mama? I'm thinking about how a Bjorn holds a baby, but using a ring sling to accomplish the same thing (for some reason, I have it in my head that my pouch sling won't accomplish this so I need a ring sling too.)

If it is indeed a ring sling that I should get, what are some of the most "user friendly" ones? (read, mama is a complete DUNCE with slings, but is determined to "get it" and make it work with this baby) I mean EASY to use, people, don't overestimate me!!!

TIA for your help!!!

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2005, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can absolutely carry your newborn tummy to tummy in a pouch style sling. I have one from kangarookorner.com and it is the best one I have tried, and I have several different slings/carriers. The link I mentioned has good pictures of how to accomplish this. What I would suggest is that you get used to carrying in a pouch, and just using that before you attempt the ring sling. I think most ring slings work about the same...now there are definately some better than others, but generally speaking they operate the same way. My lightly padded "boutique" sling from Kangaroo korner is my very favorite. The padding is light for comfort, but not too bulky that it gets suck in the rings, and the shoulder pad is just right. Be careful buying one with too bulky of a shoulder pad, or no padding. I have 6 ring slings, a few I don't like at all, but my fav is the Kangaroo Korner ones.

I think user friendly wise, your pouch is your best bet. I would give that some time to get use to. I don't know what kind of pouch you have, but mine have several rows of snaps so it can be adjusted. With a newborn who doesn't weigh much, you won't have the problem of him/her weighing the pouch down. That is when I think the rings come in handy. Like my 9 month old is 24 pounds/30 inches so by now he weighs the pouch down too much. Anyhow, good luck with the new babe

User Tag List