fear not the wrap! it is your friend! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 04-15-2005, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK so yesterday meco sold me a used gypsymama wrap and I went to the NYC babywearing workshop and got some expert advice/demo. Left there all pumped, like yeah we can do this, came home on the train w/ baby strapped to my back, he's happily flirting w/ high school students all the way, it's all good. Met up w/ the babysitter at the apt, she's taking him so I can do some studying, and to my extreme humiliation I DROP him as I'm taking him off..

:

I was kneeling on the floor so he wasn't hurt at all, it was just a few inches but still. : She was appalled of course. I'm sure her estimation of me as a parent has just plummeted.

But me, I get back up on that horse you know, I'm not easily dissuaded. So last night after she brings him back, I wrap him back up on my back to do dishes after dinner. All good, all good.

This morning I've got big plans: laundry. So I spend an HOUR, yes a friggin HOUR trying to get him wrapped. I'm all over mamatoto.org and everything and I could NOT get the hang of it. He's hating every minute of it - especially when I almost drop him (real drop this time, from a standing position!) and caught him by grabbing him by one arm...

: : : : :

Bad bad bad bad bad babywearing mama.

At this point I almost gave up and got very depressed. I sat on the couch and watched all the mamas walking up and down Roosevelt with their toddler in strollers and thought "they look happy enough..." But then I remembered what a hellish ordeal laundry has become lately so I gave it One More Try.

And it worked! Happy happy boy bouncing on my back. Threw the laundry and the detergent in the cart and rolled off to the laundromat and Oh My God...

Laundry has NEVER been so pleasant. Even when he was a little 7 lb newborn it was not this easy! I felt like a normal person with two arms and two legs as I cheefully tossed my laundry into the washer, transferred it to the dryer, and even folded it. Yes, you heard me, I actually FOLDED my laundry. And the whole time T-Bone was hanging out on my bag, almost weightless, watching the traffic go by. He was so content I actually READ A BOOK.

So the moral of the story is:
If you, like me, have been putting off trying a wrap, put it off no longer! Fear not the wrap! With a little practice and perserverance it will change your life. My only regret is that I didn't try it sooner. I was just way too intimidated, it looked so difficult and complicated. But it would have been so much easier to learn with a lighter and more cooperative baby instead of this very large and willful toddler. So start now mamas!
#2 of 21 Old 04-15-2005, 05:10 PM

#3 of 21 Old 04-15-2005, 05:28 PM

guerrillamama- your post makes me so happy! From the moment I started researching babywearing (yes, I looked at this stuff months before I was even pregnant : ) wraps just spoke to me! So much more so than slings or pouches. But then I got kinda discouraged finding that most people here don't use wraps. They seem so versatile and comfortable!

I have spent longer than I should on sites like mamatoto and I'm dying to get some cloth so I can start practicing with bags of flour! The hands-free nursing newborn carry on mamatoto just enthralls me and I can't wait to try it (alas, I'll have to wait another 7 months).

Anyhoo, thanks for renewing my excitement and confidence!

Amy
#4 of 21 Old 04-15-2005, 05:38 PM

FOLDED LAUNDRY??? Wow, I will try this. I got a wrap in a swap and have only used it a couple of times. :
#5 of 21 Old 04-15-2005, 09:42 PM

Yaaaaaaaaay mama!
I too have just recently found the joy of the wrap. Thank goodness, because my shoulder was giving up the ghost. The ring sling is just for short jaunts.

~Daednu
#6 of 21 Old 04-16-2005, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillamama
But me, I get back up on that horse you know
loved your story! Way to go!
#7 of 21 Old 04-16-2005, 02:06 PM

Rock on, mama! I went to a local babywearing meeting on Thursday where our local babywearing guru Aneliese of www.bundleyourjoy.com showed me something like 25 ways to wrap my newborn, none of which I remember :

Hands free is wonderful....although when your newborn sleeps and you can't sit down, being on your feet can get a little tiring....

But I am inspired to practice! I also just got some cool cotton gauze on sale to do the DIY version of a summer wrap a la mamatoto....so I have to learn how to wear my baby in the stuff!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#8 of 21 Old 04-16-2005, 04:47 PM

Ahhh ... I remember all too well the 10-15 minute wrapping sessions trying to get the back WCC, with me dripping sweat, determined to go and garden, or whatever, and ending up in tears with a crying baby. It makes the quick wrapping of now so much sweeter.

Thanks so much for sharing your story! I too was so intimidated by wraps when I first began -- I remember saying, over and over, "I'm just a ring-sling girl." :LOL But now I'll never go back!!!

Good for you for hanging in there! Hurray!
#9 of 21 Old 04-16-2005, 05:21 PM

I <3 my wrap! My firstborn was slung in the Nojo exclusively (didn't know any better) and now I have the moby -- LOVE IT! I can slide on the playground, play tag, do laundry, make dinner, even go to the bathroom while wearing it! I am going to make my own wrap (thank you mamatoto) for the summer (okay, I just really, really want to).

Kimba
Whose husband is willing to fight her for the right to become the international spokesperson for the wrap.
#10 of 21 Old 04-16-2005, 08:08 PM

Way to go!! I love my gypsy mama wrap! I only know one back carry and need to go back to mamatoto to learn a couple more. You've inspired me to get a move on!!
#11 of 21 Old 04-17-2005, 03:12 AM

Hooray!! I knew you could do it!! Now go ye forthe and spread the good word! LOL

geez, must be late, I'm getting silly.

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#12 of 21 Old 04-17-2005, 10:26 AM

g'a'mama, I just *knew* there was a reason I should've tried harder to get to that NYCbabywearing wrap demo. Sigh. Could've disagreed with you in person :LOL ... just kidding ... :LOL

But seriously, am having major wrap issues, too ... am having major problems getting the hang of baby-on-the-back. Major issue seems to be getting the fabric spread over her back and not just bunched up under the arm.

Oh, well.

Will there be another demo anytime soon, do you know?
#13 of 21 Old 04-18-2005, 01:25 PM

I my wrap too. I've only tried a back carry once with the help of my 5yo nephew : Everything was ging great until the last step tying the knot in front. I had a 2 foot strap and a 4 inch strap : I haven't tried agian

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#14 of 21 Old 04-18-2005, 02:57 PM

That is very encouraging. I made a strecthy wrap and have gauze for a no-sew woven wrap, but I half doubt my ability to actually USE them.
#15 of 21 Old 04-18-2005, 06:40 PM

:

I have a lovely brand new Didymos (a Christmas present) staring me in the face. I put in on the kitchen table (complete with 40-page long instruction book) to inspire me to action but can't seem to get past the box opening part.

My KKAFP is just way to easy but a) fleece and D.C. summers don't mix and b) my baby is 16+ lbs. at only 2 months and it's doing a number on my back.

Quirky, I think I'm at least going to try to make the Baby Wearing workshop tomorrow.
#16 of 21 Old 04-18-2005, 06:43 PM

Is the babywearing workshop posted in the dc babywearing group, or is it something different?
#17 of 21 Old 04-18-2005, 06:48 PM

The workshop is sponsored by API of D.C.

http://www.attachmentparentingdc.org/
#18 of 21 Old 04-18-2005, 06:55 PM

How does someone attend if they are not a member?
#19 of 21 Old 05-02-2005, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk
g'a'mama, . am having major problems getting the hang of baby-on-the-back. Major issue seems to be getting the fabric spread over her back and not just bunched up under the arm.
I had the same problem until I stumbled on this way of getting babe on back. Just use the first three steps, and then go on to do any back carry you want.

In the last week I've used my wrap at the beach (by myself, with toddler and infant!) and with a back carry at Home Depot buying all my spring flowers. I wraps!!!!
#20 of 21 Old 05-02-2005, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Amy -- I forgot to respond to you on this! Did you ever sign up for the babywearers yahoogroup? There are 2 meetings coming up, May 14 and the first weekend of June, I think. I'm planning on going to the June meeting, so would be happy to disagree with you then - I will try to remember to bring something to argue about, you please do the same. (Also did you see my thread about a MDC get together on May 15?)

In the meantime, have you looked at the www.mamatoto.org videos? I have found them very helpful, altho I have had to watch them over and over and over. But there is no substitute for seeing it in person, so I hope you can make it to one of the meetings.
#21 of 21 Old 05-02-2005, 11:50 AM

I love my Moby wrap too!! There was a point in time when it was the ONLY way to get dd to sleep. And she just seemed so cozy and sweet all tucked into it. But I have to admit that I grab my pouches first just because the wrap seems to take a long time and a lot of patience...I guess it just takes practice. I have a black Moby and my dh calls me a ninja when I wear it! :LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page