Carrier for a newborn - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 04-19-2005, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What carrier would you recommend for a newborn? I have an Ergo already but it seems better suited for an older baby, am I wrong about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 04-19-2005, 08:56 PM

You're right! Ergos aren't recommended until at least 4 months. My favourite carrier for a newborn is definitely a stretchy wrap - LOVE them They're so cozy and wrap up your little newborn so nice and snug and right against you...sigh, lovely!
#3 of 26 Old 04-19-2005, 09:22 PM

I've never used a stretchy wrap with a newborn, but it sounds like a good idea. Wraps in general do feel very secure, and that's a big comcern for most people with a tiny one. I liked the plain old ring sling when mine were new. Easy to use and adjust & easy to nurse in.
#4 of 26 Old 04-19-2005, 09:52 PM

I loved my moby and kkafp.
#5 of 26 Old 04-19-2005, 10:38 PM

I loved pouches with my newborn. Also I second the stretchy wrap vote!

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
#6 of 26 Old 04-20-2005, 04:27 AM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I love bmy Zolowear sling with my newborns. I do really like my Didymos once they're alittle older. I'm just now startingto use it with my little guy.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#7 of 26 Old 04-20-2005, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
LOVE LOVE pouches with a newborn! They are easy in/out and so comfy for you and baby-I got so hooked I'm up to 5 pouches with another about to be ordered My DS is 5 mos now and we use them everyday. I also use mei tais and ring slings but nothing is quite as comfy as my Hotslings!
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#8 of 26 Old 04-20-2005, 08:02 AM

Honestly, I think you need more than one carrier! DD is a week old and I've been testing everything!

A pouch and/or ring sling-- fabulous for around the house or when DC is fussy and you want her slung fast. Not so good if DC doesn't like the cradle hold (as a newborn). My girls both love that hold, but I know some newborns don't. Easier to BF in (IME) than a wrap.

A wrap-- essential for being hands-free, long walks, etc. I can't say for sure if I like a stretchy or woven yet more. The stretchy is comfy and cozy, but the woven is SO much more "secure" feeling . . .I have a hard time getting he stretchy to stay tight, even with my teeny newborn!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#9 of 26 Old 04-20-2005, 10:37 AM

I'll throw my vote in for both a stretchy wrap and a pouch.

Both dh and I have tried to manuever ds into our Maya Wrap and he (and us!) just can't get comfy. It's SO easy just to pop him into the Hotsling. Dh hasn't given in yet, but I think he wants me to get him one in his size. I may just surprise him w/ a early Father's Day present. We have a Moby Wrap too, and it's great. Ds tends to get fussy in the pouch if he's really awake - in the Moby, he can at least turn his head and look around. (Ds will be very happy when he can face outward!)

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#10 of 26 Old 04-20-2005, 11:05 AM

Pouch all the way At least for the first couple months, then I moved on to all the rest.

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#11 of 26 Old 04-20-2005, 01:41 PM

I thought the pouch was easy, but not the best if your child doesn't like the cradle hold. You could make a knit wrap very inexpensively with little skill. I bought 5 yds of cotton interlock and cut it to about 20" width. Done. No need to serge the edges unless you really want a polished look. I may attempt it, haven't decided. I also want to get a mei tai. Let us know what you decide.
#12 of 26 Old 04-20-2005, 01:42 PM

Ds was fine in my ringslings and pouches as a newborn but dd was much happier in a wrap.
#13 of 26 Old 04-20-2005, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad i asked this question now, I have my ergo and another on order (i got one for me and DH) and also have a ring sling and a watersling, but wasn't quite sure of what else to get. I want to get a couple different kinds because i will be taking my baby to work with me (in a childfriendly offfice ) what brand of sling or wrap do you like most?
#14 of 26 Old 04-20-2005, 02:57 PM

I loved my Maya Wrap for the neborn/infancy satge. I found that this type of unpadded ring sling with the open tail allowed me the optimal adjustments for breastfeeding hands-free. you can get a lot of the same effect with a pouch if it fits well (snug is best!) But I also think a stretchy or gauze wrap is oh-so-nice.
#15 of 26 Old 04-20-2005, 07:41 PM

my dd hated the cradle hold, so pouches weren't useful until she could sit on my hip. There is a newborn appropriate cross carry you can do with a wrap which she loved. You just needs yards and yards of material for it (I think mine was 6 yards) so there is not something you want to have to put on on-the-fly.
#16 of 26 Old 04-20-2005, 08:38 PM

I think pouches and a stretchy wrap, like a moby would be the easiest with a baby, you can just pop them in and out as needed and they will feel snug as a bug.
#17 of 26 Old 04-21-2005, 12:15 AM

BTW . . .I wanted to add that so far, I love my Wise Woman sling for nursing. I have other ring slings, pouches, and wraps . . .but this is just the easiest for me for nursing. The pouch is so deep but the fabric (I have stretch twill) is sturdy, so DD doesn't get lost in it, AND it provides great coverage will getting her latched on. The shoulder is no-fuss, so I can pop it on like I do a pouch (this is a hybrid sling) but loosen/tighten easily. Oh, and the rails are so easy to differentiate, too, which I love.

I'm not sure how the shoulder will be once DD gets heavier, though. . . my toddler has only been in it for 15 minutes at a time.

#18 of 26 Old 04-21-2005, 12:21 AM

a pouch, ring sling, or wrap would be perfect for a newborn! to me the Ergo is best suited for back carry, so it will be a while

I loved carrying my boy in a ring sling when he was little because I could lay him down and take it off without waking him
#19 of 26 Old 04-21-2005, 04:36 PM

I'm dealing with this issue right now. We have a Kozy, New Native, and a hugabub.
I like the Kozy but can't nurse with him in it, and like to use it more with my 17 month old. I really don't like the New Native Carrier. He seems to get lost in it, and it hurts my back. I think the hugabub is great but it takes me forever and ever to get it on and it's tough to get it just right, I guess I just haven't mastered it yet. So I'm thinking of trying and adjustable sling like a Kangaroo Korner or Zolo. Don't know if I really helped you out there, but just thought I would let you know what has worked for us and our 7 week old.

Maria
stay at home mom to 2 girls 11/20/03,3/09/07 and 2 boys  2/28/05 and 11/16/10 and one on the way 1/13/12

#20 of 26 Old 04-21-2005, 05:52 PM

When I had my DD 3 years abot I had the OTSBH and the New Native. She didn't like the cradle hold, so I couldn't really start slinging her until we were able to do the hip-carry. Later on I used a Maya Pouch, a Fleece Pouch and a home-made wrap for her.
For my son, due this September, I will purchase a Moby Wrap and possibly also the new SlingSet. I think that most newborn wouldn't mind being in a wrap in the tummy2tummy position and with a stretchy wrap this should be accomplished very easily.

Alex
#21 of 26 Old 04-21-2005, 06:27 PM

Like so many others have said- I liked to have options (still do with a 20 month old!). LOVE my hug a bub, baby loved the heart to heart position- just loaned it out yesterday to a friend who didn't think baby was secure enough in her maya ring sling. She told me today she will be buying her own! (I'll need mine back in August for my next babe). Also used the New Native- wasn't nearly as comfortable IMO and dd wasn't crazy aboout the cradle position but worked as a quick on/off solution and dd logged many sleeping hours in there as well.
#22 of 26 Old 04-22-2005, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avasmom
I think the hugabub is great but it takes me forever and ever to get it on and it's tough to get it just right, I guess I just haven't mastered it yet.
I think it's worth it to keep working on it, IMO. Also, you might consider just leaving it on all day. You will have to re-tighten, but that's not such a huge deal once you've done it a few times.

#23 of 26 Old 04-22-2005, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

I saw a website on ABC and would like to know more info about them, Does anyone have one of these or could recommend another website to get one from (perferably Canadian)?

Thanks everyone!
#24 of 26 Old 04-23-2005, 04:42 AM

I'm new here. Just wanted to say to the poster above - keep practicing with the HugABub. I am awful at learning wearing techniques, but I really loved the HAB when DD was a little baby. When she got bigger, it started to stretch out when I was wearing her. I think it's a little bit lighter weight than the Moby (if you live in a warm climate). DD couldn't stand the cradle carry, so this really saved me, and it allowed me to be hands-free. And the tapered ends are nice for us shorter women. I didn't use my woven wrap -- and still don't much b.c I'm not good at it -- but the stretchy felt nicer next to her skin (I have an EllaRoo). When you keep it on all day, even with baby out, you do look a bit like a character in Star Wars... but it was worth it to me.
Sarah
#25 of 26 Old 04-24-2005, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sareva
When you keep it on all day, even with baby out, you do look a bit like a character in Star Wars... but it was worth it to me.
Sarah
:LOL :LOL :LOL

#26 of 26 Old 04-27-2005, 04:12 AM

I have 2 favorites for a newborn (my ds is only 2 months old). My pouches (I have a KKAFP and a SlingSet pouch) and my stretchy wrap (Moby). The pouches are great to grab in a hurry or take in the car for running errands and the Moby is excellent for long walks or doing housework ect. Good luck!

Mama to DD 8 * DS 6 * DS 2
Expecting #4 Late Nov 2011

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page