Please participate in my Baby Wearing Class Research! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 05-03-2005, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. What carrier do you primarily use and what age of child(ren) are you using it for?
My DS is 4 months old and right now I would say we use wraps and ring slings the most.

2. If you could only have ONE carrier- what would it be and why?
Woven wrap (Storch or Didy) - it's the most versatile and comfortable.

3. How many other carriers do you have and use?
All sorts (and WAY too many of them!) - pouches, ring slings, wraps, mei tais....I *try* to use them all

4. What carriers have you tried that you do not like and why?
I did not like the Bjorn (bad for baby and uncomfortable for mom), the Maya (hated the shoulder and the style), New Native Pouch (I do not like non-stretchy pouches and the sizing on the NN is way too big) and Pouch-style ring sling (not as versatile as regular ring sling).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 44 Old 05-03-2005, 05:22 PM

1. What carrier do you primarily use and what age of child(ren) are you using it for?

I use my fleece Hotsling the most. ds2 is 6mths. I also carry 3.5yr old dd in hip carry with it.

I don't know......too hard!

I have a fleece hot sling, a KKAFP, a native carrier, a wise woman ring sling, a KK mesh shower sling, and a very best wrap. Oh and a fisher price carrier

I like them all but am still learning how to properly use the ring sling and wrap. They are not as easy as my pouches....but are more versitle....once I figure them out.

Hope that helps!!!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#33 of 44 Old 05-03-2005, 08:12 PM

Mei tai... six months. (I have two)

Mei tai. Comfy, cute, secure, and I can nurse in it.

Moby... I use it for serious walks
Batik ring sling... quick in and out around the house
Twill ring sling... more comfy shoulder than my batik one but the fabric is too stiff so I never use it.
Solarveil ring sling... just got it and plan to use it at the beach

Infantino... I heard that spine thing
Twill ring sling... see above
#34 of 44 Old 05-04-2005, 02:48 PM

MNM Pea in a Pod Pouch. My son is 15 mos. I keep it in the car & use it when we are out & about.

??? Not sure, since I did not use a pouch when my son was an infant.

Sutemi -- for walks & hikes
Home made pouch for around the house
Kelty backpack for long hikes
Used Baby Bjorn until he was about 5 mos. and then went in search for something more comfortable!!!
Ergo -- DH uses it & likes it
Just got a Mei Tai & haven't tried it yet

Hotslings was very uncomfortable & my son leaned too much with it. The Ergo was fine when he was smaller but began to hurt my neck when he hit about 20 lbs.

Loree
#35 of 44 Old 05-04-2005, 03:21 PM

Unpadded ring sling for 9 month old 23lb dd. i use hip/tummytotummy/and back carry for short walks, houshold stuff, errands, and fussy times
ring sling because of versatility and ease of use
hotslings strech pouch and a pool pouch, meitai, frankenkozy, didy, meihip, tai one on
It seems like each carrier has its use but I haven't loved narrow strap mei tais because they tend to give me pressure points when wearing them.
#36 of 44 Old 05-04-2005, 03:36 PM

Right now I'm primarily using a Maya Adjustable Pouch. DD is 8 months old.

The pouch. It's non-bulky, so simple to pop DD in and out quickly, and it's very versatile in how I can carry her.

I have a Koala Kids Mai Tei style carrier, which is great for longer walks and when I need to be truly hands-free, but is a bit lacking in the quick-in-and-out department. I also have a Sling-Ezee, which is a padded ring sling. I like it, but the padding is very bulky. It was most useful when DD was small, to do a snuggle hold, because the shoulder pad makes a pillow to keep everything snug, and because it's shallower than the pouch, so again it's nice and snug and she wasn't lost in it. I also have a Kelty backpack, but it's mostly DH that uses that. I had another ring sling, a hand-made padded ring sling, but then I lost 60 lbs. and it didn't fit anymore, so I gave it away.

I am still using all of the carriers I've tried, except for the ring sling that I only gave up because it didn't fit anymore. I haven't tried the front-pack carriers like Snuglis, but I don't like the way the babies' legs dangle-- that doesn't look comfortable or healthy.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#37 of 44 Old 05-04-2005, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetkitty
Hi All-

I am starting another round of baby wearing classes and want to get other baby wearer input!

I use a ring sling for Trystan - I started when he was a peanut (just a few weeks old) and sometimes use it even now, when we are standing somewhere for long periods of time. If we are going somewhere we will be walking a longer route, like for a hike, I use a Mai Tei back carrier. I got that a few months ago.

Hmmm... I'd have to choose my ring sling. It is just easier to get him in and out of. The Mai Tei is fabulous, but once he's in it, it is a pain to get him out of it unless we are somewhere I can sit down and let him out - it's just more of a hassle to get in and out of. The ring sling is easy in and easy out. However, the Mai Tei is more comfortable to wear him in now that he is over 30 lbs.

I have the two I mentioned and I also have a solarveil - we only use the in the pool, though. Tried it in the shower and he hated it... *sigh*

Not real crazy about the front carriers - the ones made by Evenflo, etc... they are okay, but nursing is difficult in them and they don't fit for long and the baby's legs seem spread too far apart - it just seems unnatural.

Thanks in advance!
Traci
No problem! Glad to help!
#38 of 44 Old 05-04-2005, 03:52 PM

Unpadded ring sling, my 8-month-old ds

ellaroo for comfort and versatility

I have liked all that I've tried, but my least favorite was the Baby Bjorn because it wasn't versatile enough for the price.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#39 of 44 Old 05-04-2005, 04:01 PM

-I have an 8 month old son. Currently I use one of my Kozys for longer trips and a non padded, flannel ring sling for short trips. I always use my Didymos around the house. I'd say I use them all about an equal ammount of time

-this is too hard of a question! If forced to choose I'd have to go with my flannel ring sling.

-2 Kozys
-Sachi Mei tai
-4 ring slings (diffrent ammounts of padding, and shoulder styles)
-Gauze wrap
-Didymos
-2 pouches
-Baby Bjorn
-Moby

-I hate the Bjorn/Snugli type of carriers, uncomfortable for both me and baby.
-I tried the Mei Hip, but it just didnt work out for us
-I also can't seem to get DS comfortable in a pouch
#40 of 44 Old 05-07-2005, 02:06 PM

1. What carrier do you primarily use and what age of child(ren) are you using it for? We generally use our Kozy, and she's 15 months.

2. If you could only have ONE carrier- what would it be and why? The Kozy, without a doubt! It's super comfy and easy to use, my daughter has loved it since she was 3 months old.

3. How many other carriers do you have and use? I only have the Kozy and a Hotsling.

4. What carriers have you tried that you do not like and why? When she was a newborn we had a Snugli : and it just wasn't comfortable for DD or me.

Mama to our nose-in-a-book Autumn (6) & our old soul Molly (4)
Imaginative, fun jewelry & photography Shenandoah Sunshine
#41 of 44 Old 05-07-2005, 02:36 PM

Wrap - at the moment it's usually my Hug-a-bub, 10 week old

EEEEK - the horrors!!! : It would br my wrap, it's so versitile and really keeps baby secure and comfy.

I also have two ring slings (an OTSBH and a TaylorMade) but we really don't use them - I've never been able to get the ring sling to be as comfy as my wrap and DS doesn't seem to care for them either. We also have a Sachi Mei Tai that we like a lot for quick trips - DS likes the feel of it about as much as the wrap, but I still find the wrap to be more comfy for long use.

Ring sling as mentioned about. I especially didn't like the OTSBH as there was just way too much padding for us.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#42 of 44 Old 05-07-2005, 02:39 PM

Homemade cotton voile wrap, dd is 15 months old

The wrap, only thing that works well now (I've never tried an ABC - that might work well too)

Homemade pouches and a ring sling, pouch was nice when dd was little

Never got into the ring sling, but that was probably more the fault of that particular sling

nothing more to say I guess :
#43 of 44 Old 05-07-2005, 02:48 PM

Peekaboo Fleece Pouch with DD 4 months (in kangaroo carry).

The Peekaboo! It's stretchy and the fleece is not too hot. Both DH and I can use it even though our sizes are pretty different (5'7'' and 6'3''), it's simple to get on and off, no fooling with adjustments, and DD just seems to sit comfortably more easily than with others I've tried.

Hotsling - occasionally if it's too hot for fleece.
Angelpack Mai Tai - still getting the hang of it, but looking forward to trying the back carry!

OTSBH - padding got in the way, always difficult to position DD right
New Native - not stretchy at all, sizing is weird, seems to hang WAY too low
Snugli - DD actually liked it, but the straps always slipped off my shoulders (!)
Maya - the best of the four, but it cut into my neck and I find I don't care for adjustables.
#44 of 44 Old 05-08-2005, 08:38 PM

right now my tmt batik ring sling, but it changes

hug-a-bub its the most comfy carrier I have, it's not as quick but....

fleece hotsling; gypsy mama gauze wrap; baby faries mei tai; placid baby mei tai
I also have an ergo and a tmt wesh ring sling that haven't been tried out

no-jo it was just so overwhelming to me and I never felt like ds was in there good; snugli it felt like a torture devise

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page