Please participate in my Baby Wearing Class Research! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 05-01-2005, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All-

I am starting another round of baby wearing classes and want to get other baby wearer input!

1. What carrier do you primarily use and what age of child(ren) are you using it for?

2. If you could only have ONE carrier- what would it be and why?

3. How many other carriers do you have and use?

4. What carriers have you tried that you do not like and why?

Thanks in advance!
Traci
#2 of 44 Old 05-01-2005, 02:57 AM

1. What carrier do you primarily use and what age of child(ren) are you using it for?
I probably use my Maya Wrap ring sling the most, DD is 3 months old. Dh usually uses the Bjorn

The aforementioned Maya

-Hotsling unpadded pouch
-WAHM New Native style pouch
-5 yards of fabric wrap using mamatoto instructions
-Nojo
-Baby Bjorn

I had a hard time with the pouches- DD just didn't seem to be able to settle down and get comfy, and on the rare occassions when she would my back hurt faster than with other carriers. But there's a very good possibility I was using it wrong so I'm going to a babywearing class in May!

Leigh
Mama to Allison (1/05) and Lizzie (11/07)
#3 of 44 Old 05-01-2005, 03:10 AM

Remba Rap - 3 month old

Remba Rap - adjustable, beautiful and great fitted shoulder to keep from slipping in to my neck.

Maya Ring Sling, Hotslings unpadded pouch, Simply Attached wrap, Baby Bjorn. Adding a mei tai to my stash soon thanks to an MDC momma!

OTSBH - used with my first. Too bulky and difficult to adjust.
#4 of 44 Old 05-01-2005, 05:26 AM

Hug-a-Bub for a 5 mnth old - Australian carrier

The one above - love it

Didymos, Hotsling unpadded pouch, Hip seat

Lifter - hurt my back, weight not evenly distributed and straps cut into me !
Padded ring sling..........could't get the feel. Also I like non bulky, this felt bulky!
Baby Bjorn.........crock of
#5 of 44 Old 05-01-2005, 05:29 AM

oops, no offence to those that like Bjorns Afterall babywearing slings are personal choice!!! Sorreeeee! :
#6 of 44 Old 05-01-2005, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1. What carrier do you primarily use and what age of child(ren) are you using it for? I use a PIP pouch or an Ergo with my nine month old.

2. If you could only have ONE carrier- what would it be and why? PIP pouch for newborns, Ergo for older babies.

3. How many other carriers do you have and use? I have two PIPs. I also have an OTSBH, which I used while I was pg to carry my toddler on my hip. I have also tried a KKACP, which I liked OK, a KKAFP, which was also OK, a Sutemi, which was pretty good. I also tried a Moby Wrap, which just took too long and was too hard to put on.

4. What carriers have you tried that you do not like and why? Maya Wrap, too hard to thread the rings, hated the long tail. Baby Bjorn. My son liked it fine, but I could only wear it for about 5 mn before getting tired.
#7 of 44 Old 05-01-2005, 10:34 AM

1) Ring sling for my 5 month old

2) Wise Women, I love the popobility of ring slings and the coziness of the pouch, so a hybrid is best of both worlds for me. That said, I am starting to rely on my wrap more and more.

3) 1 fleece pouch, 1 cotton mesh Taylormade sling, 1 SPOC wrap, 1 Freehand Mei Tai.

4) Padded ring sling, too bulky. Baby Bjorn, didn't find it comfortable.

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#8 of 44 Old 05-01-2005, 12:22 PM

Happy cruiser on my back, use it with allison she's 8 month old

MT very use ful for me ! happy cruiser, i can get things doen with allison on my back.

Tried woven wrap but to much for me to handel, streachy wrap but only for NB stage, PIP it !, KKAFP it was OK, unpadded Hotsling d it also, doodlebug MT it was great, zolo cotten sling great for BF hard to adjust through rings for me, oopa sling GREAT for BF and a showy sling, kozy carrier it was nice but not for me, lets see i think that's all...

wraps just aren't for me i've tried them many times but i can't get the hang of it.
#9 of 44 Old 05-01-2005, 06:59 PM

- Pouch sling, when my baby was under 1 yrs old

- Pouch sling (hotsling is my favorite), b/c it is NOT bulky (I get hot easily) AND it rolls up so small, it is easy to tuck into my diaper bag and it's super easy to use and pop the baby in and out.

-I have about 10 other carriers, maya wrap, towel pouch (for swim class), solarveil ring sling (great in summer), Mei tai, fleece pouch, mama's milk pouch, wise woman sling, baby bjorn, OTSBH, moby wrap, WAHM linen wrap, more but I can't remember

- Ppl love their MT's and wraps, but I do not like them. I do look forward to using my moby with my newborn, but otherwise, have given up on the wraps and MTs. I am ok with ring slings now, but sometimes find them a pain to use, b/c the rings always seem to migrate downwards.
#10 of 44 Old 05-01-2005, 07:20 PM

2 weeks - 9 mo: used Maya wrap exclusively
9 mo - 16 mo: used Wise Woman exclusively
now: I seem to be using my gypsymama wrap exclusively. And am rediscovering my kozy, which never really worked before but is suddenly feeling right.

I... I don't understand.... One, you say???
Well, a month ago I guess I would've said Wise Woman. But now I am finally understanding the appeal of wraps... I don't know.

Maya Wrap (it's pretty worn out, I never use it anymore)
KKAFP (use it only for bedtime)
Wise Woman
Gypsymama wrap
Kozy (rarely use it)
Tai One On (never use it)

The KKAFP has been great for putting ds to sleep, and my mom finds it very easy to use when she watches ds, but I haven't really liked it for anything else. It's much too warm, doesn't feel quite as secure as other carriers, I can't wear him on my back, and I can't nurse in it.

I bought the Kozy when ds was 5 mo, and kept trying it every couple of months thereafter, and it just never worked for me... until this week. I guess I like it better for a toddler than an infant.

I really liked the Tai One On at first, but once I got over my fear of wraps there didn't seem to be any point in the TOO anymore. So I've barely used it.

The Maya was my very first so it will always have a special place in my heart, but now that I've had a Wise Woman I could never go back to a non-pouch ring-sling. Altho I made it work, I think the Maya is not a good choice for a beginner, it's just hard. The Wise Woman is so easy to use yet flexible, I think it is the best bang for the buck.

But then there's wraps...
#11 of 44 Old 05-01-2005, 07:42 PM

I use my Mei Tai most of the time. I use it quite a bit for my 3mo but have used it for my 3 year old as well.

The Mei Tai. I love that I can use it for both girls, front or back, and it's very hands free.

I have 2 unpadded ring slings

Padded ring sling was too bulky and the Snugli was just awful all around!
#12 of 44 Old 05-01-2005, 08:13 PM

FreeHand Mei Tai is by far my favorite - DD is 6 mos

I'd have a Mei Tai - like the person above, it's so versatile and comfortable, as well as being very stylish. Baby sleeps in it all the time.

I have: FreeHand Mei Tai, Oopa Baby silk shantung (second favorite), cxd baby silk brocade sling, Wise Woman sling, Rockin baby sling, Maya Wrap, Maya Wrap pouch, Hotslings (a few of these, my favorite pouch), New Native, Peanut Shell, ERGO, Sutemi Pack, Patapum, Storchenwiege, Hug-a-bug, Moby Wrap, EllaRoo wrap, EllaRoo Podaegi, EllaRoo Embroidered Mei Tai, Pretty Momma sling, TaylorMade Solarveil, and more
On the way: Angel Pack Mei Tai, Boopa Pakka Solarveil Mei Tai, Sachi Mei Tai, Kozy Silk Mei Tai, Gypsy Mama Gauze wrap, Gypsy Mama Towel Pouch, Didymos

I started with a Baby Bjorn, but due to the fact that they're not ergonomically correct for baby and uncomfortable, we only used it for a month. I also don't like my New Native too much, especially when there's more comfortable and stylish pouches out there. I also have a Nojo I always hated. Luckily I found such great sling communities and local babywearers to steer my in the right direction!

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
#13 of 44 Old 05-01-2005, 09:20 PM

*For my almost 6 mos old I use a Kolamo mei tai for anything longer than a 10 minute carry and for quick in/outs I use my Hotslings pouch
BUT...I just a got a Oopa silk sling that I'm loving so I know I'll be using that a lot more now!

*From my past experiences I'd say a pouch since they are so versatile and that's what I've used since day 1...but since I'm just starting to use ring slings more this answer may be different in a few weeks. Since I can use the tail on the ring sling for a cover and the ones I like have a pocket they are more useful to me.

*I have about 12-15 but I haven't counted recently...
I use the mei tais, Hotslings pouches and Oopa ring sling consistently right now.
I also have wraps, podegis, Tai One On strap carrier, custom ring sling ordered, and other pouches

* I did not like:
-maya type ring slings-could not get shoulder comfy
-padded ring slings like NoJo or OTSBH-could not get tight enough
-snugli-just didn't like! Not comfy or easy to put on
-KKAFP-it was OK but nearly as comfy for the long carries as my Hotslings or PIP
-KKACP-shoulder was not comfy

I'm enjoying reading all the answers!
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#14 of 44 Old 05-01-2005, 09:48 PM

Primarily my Hotsling, for a one month old.

Hmm... the Moby wrap, because I could do a few more carries that way.

Moby Wrap, Maya, and a Freehand Mei Tai on the way!

OTSBH - too bulky!

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#15 of 44 Old 05-01-2005, 10:30 PM

Ring sling for my baby. Mei Tei and Ergo for my older boys. ages in sig

A wrap. because it can do EVERYTHING......but please don't make me do it! I would probably get a Didy.

Mei Tei: 2 Kozys, 1 Silk Kozy,
Ringslings: Mayawrap, Pretty Momma Solarveil
Pretty Momma Denim, Silk Sachi
Wrap: Ellaroo
Other: Black Ergo w/ all accessories

I have sold and traded over a dozen. Some I liked but were best for me for a specific period (like newborn for example) and some I did not like. I do not want to list them because I think it is different for everyone.
#16 of 44 Old 05-01-2005, 10:55 PM

-I use my WAHM ring sling the most but so far my ellaroo is my favorite just more time consuming.
Sometimes I put my 21/2 yr old in the ellaroo on my back and wear 7 month old in ring sling on front or hip.
-If i could only have one it would be my ring sling. Fast and versitile.
-I THOUGHT I had alot untill reading these boards,now I ealize I'm NOT and addict like my husband says!
I have: maya wrap, 3 WAHM ring slings, water sling, rebozo, ellaroo, UBW, and bijorn and a freehand MT on the way.
I USE my water and WAHM ring slings, and ellaroo. I need to sell the others so I can try some others!
-I dont like me maya, takes much longer to adjust than my other ring slings (I thin it's the accordian fold). I also dont care much for my rebozo. Just not feeling the rebozo love like I hoped to.
I do like my UBW but my ellaroo is SO much prettier and I can do all the same wraps with it.
I guess that covers it!
#17 of 44 Old 05-01-2005, 11:29 PM

I primarily use my Zolo solstice stretch cotton sling, 10.5 mo

inconceivable! because it would be like owning only one pair of pants... :LOL

I must plead the 5th; and I use several; mostly my kozies, freehand, kolamos, hotslings and my new love--the zolo solstice

I have tried a padded ring sling, which I hated because I could never get it tight enough, I couldn't adjust the rails independently, it was too bulky and too warm....
I tried a Bjorn but didn't like it because my baby fussed in it, so I took him back out....
Any others that I didn't like....it wasn't because I didn't like them, it just wasn't the right moment for them. I still like my hug-a-bub, actually love it, but it doesn't work as well for me right now, as it did months ago...
I liked my Storch more when my baby was smaller and younger because now he literally tries to get off my back before I can get him on there securely--he never did that when he was smaller! But I still LOVE my inka Storch, it's just vacationing on a shelf right now
#18 of 44 Old 05-02-2005, 12:47 AM

Sling Me Mommy (made by me) for my almost 5 month old

I don't really know...I've only tried a few, but I do like my Sling Me Mommy

None

Baby Bjorn and Snuggli - my dd hates them. She prefers the kangaroo carry with her feet up near her head...I can't do this with a "regular" baby carrier
#19 of 44 Old 05-02-2005, 01:40 PM

I use my Hotslings the most. I have a 19 month old and a 6 day old.

My hotsling. I'm in love. :LOL

Too many to admit to. I use 3-4 regularly.

I do not like Baby Bjorns because they hurt my shoulders.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#20 of 44 Old 05-02-2005, 02:29 PM

Right now I mainly just use a pouch in the hip carry for my 2 1/2 yo dd. I have a Kozy and another MT that I use occasionally for back carries with her or my 3 1/2 yo.

Ooh, that's a tough one. For a long time, with two babies, I had just a Maya Wrap and loved, loved, loved it and felt no need for any other sling. I still love the Maya Wrap and think that an unpadded ring sling is just a great, comfortable, versatile baby carrier. The only drawback is that some people can't get the hang of them, but I had it going on with my Maya from the first minute I took it out of the package.

I'm not having any more babies, and we are at the upper limits of our babywearing days. But if I did have another, I think a wrap would be one of my favorites. I love the simplicity and practicality of just tying your baby on with a strip of cloth. And I think they're really pretty and comfortable. I love gauze wraps, and the Ellaroo, and I'd definitely want a stretchy wrap especially with a newborn (I would put it on as my shirt at home to wear and nurse the baby in throughout the day).

Hm, I have a stretchy pouch, a Hotslings stretch twill, a Maya Wrap, a Kozy, and an EBMT (now placid baby).

Nojo/OTSBH don't like padding or closed tail. Bjorn, too limited and not very comfortable to me, don't like the psoitioning for the baby. I have tried some different ring slings that I wasn't crazy about because of the shoulder style or the fabric or whatever.
#21 of 44 Old 05-02-2005, 02:56 PM

Zolowear cotton ring sling. From newborn to toddler.

Zolowear! It stays put on my shoulder, is soft and machine washable, I love the zipper pocket and I can nurse very easily in it.

4, KK Fleece Pouch, KK Cotton Pouch, Taylor Made Solerveil water sling, and a KK lightly padded ring sling.

NoJo, not enough adjustablity and it ripped after 6 months of use.
Maya Wrap, didn't like the shoulder because it would ride up on my neck, and the version I had didn't have a pocket.

Blessings,
N~
#22 of 44 Old 05-02-2005, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetkitty
Hi All-

Thanks in advance!
Traci
1. ABCs of several makers. One dd nearly 9 months.
(babyfaries pak-pack, sachi, and doodlebug carrier)
2. an ABC- mei tai type.

3. Also have a maya, and a hotsling, and a snuggli- infant sling. And a frame backpack.

4. Never really got the maya to work. Only used the snuggl-infant once or twide, too hard to position right. The Maya always hurts my back and shoulder. Heavy baby- works much better spread on both shoulders.

-Angela
#23 of 44 Old 05-02-2005, 04:18 PM

I use my two mei tais equally as often with my 5 month old.

It would be a mei tai. Probably my Sachi.

Apart from the Sachi, we also have a FreeHand mei tai and a Patapum that we use regularly. DH liked using the Baby Bjorn when the babe was younger.

I never liked the Bjorn because it was uncomfortable and dd never liked our KKACP.
#24 of 44 Old 05-02-2005, 05:09 PM

Under about 11 months: NoJo sling
Over about 11 months: Kozy. Ds is currently 14 1/2 months old and I primarily use my Kozy so I can put him on my back. At about 11 months, he was able to climb up on my back, piggyback-style. Before that I had too hard a time getting him on my back by myself.

I guess my Kozy because it leaves my hands free, however, ideally I'd love to be able use one carrier as a sling and a back carrier (haven't found one yet that can do both comfortably).

These are the only 2 I use. Dh liked the Snuggli when ds was a newborn.

I was always afraid ds was going to suffocate in the Snuggli. I also tried a pouchstyle sling from One Step Ahead, that I hated. Ds never seemed comfortable in it.
#25 of 44 Old 05-02-2005, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to say THANK YOU to all who already participated- your responses are very helpful to me. When you are a die hard sling addict (I think all who are here qualify- it isn't HOW MANY slings you have necessarily, although many of you have quite a lot myself included- but how much you use them! Note to all of you with a DP that has threatened to have you institutionalized if you buy ANOTHER sling- start teaching baby wearing classes...'I had to get this one hon, I need it for a demo')

My purpose is to find what other people like, what they don't like and their own reasons for that. Age of the child being slung is a huge factor in which sling I recommend to someone. If you are reading the posts- it's easy to see that different slings work for different people but there are a lot of LOVE repeats. Just because I LOVE my HAB and wraps (stretchy for babies, woven for toddlers)but primarily use a homemade ring sling for my 20 month old just for sheer in/out ease doesn't mean that's what will work for someone else.

Very helpful stuff- keep it coming!

My name is Traci and I am a sling addict. And it's OK.
#26 of 44 Old 05-02-2005, 05:41 PM

Kozy Carrier or Sachi MT (whichever one matches ) for my 9 month old and 2 yr old (often both at the same time) .

A MT of some sort. It is versatile and easy enough to use that dh can do it.

3. How many other carriers do you have and use? Just got a Moby and a MamaKangaroo wrap in the mail today - love them. They just may displace the MT's on my fav list. Also have a homemade woven wrap (too big), a homemade crocheted pouch, and am ordering a fleece/stretch cotton pouch from Annaslings.

4. What carriers have you tried that you do not like and why? The Nojo sling (too big, bulky and hard to adjust), the Infantino Eurorider (okay, but only for a small baby, also had to be readjusted for dh and I, the Evenflo Trail Tech (nice, but bulky and too tall for short old me).

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#27 of 44 Old 05-03-2005, 11:26 AM

1. What carrier do you primarily use and what age of child(ren) are you using it for? Over the Shoulder Baby Holder(sling) for my 18 mo

2. If you could only have ONE carrier- what would it be and why? My sling because I've used it since dd was a newborn and she stilll likes to ride in it at 18 mo

3. How many other carriers do you have and use? 2, Maya Wrap and a Graco backpack carrier

4. What carriers have you tried that you do not like and why? NoJo, sling, did not adjust to fit baby as well as other slings do
#28 of 44 Old 05-03-2005, 12:12 PM

Moby wrap for a 5 month old

My moby wrap because it can go from birth to 35lbs and there are so many different ways to wrap it, it is long enough for any wrap carry.

2: a sungli and an infantino baby carrier

4. What carriers have you tried that you do not like and why

I don't like the snugli, it is too tight to get dd in and out of it easily, especially when she's wearing a cloth diaper (which is 99% of the time).

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#29 of 44 Old 05-03-2005, 04:27 PM

I guess I use my Kozy the most out of the house since we walk almost everywhere and it can hold the 3 year old in a pinch. Around the house, I use the kkafp and the ancient otsbh. Babylady is 8 months old.

For a newborn, I'd choose a pouch, but I'd choose a Mei Tai or wrap for a bigger baby.

3. How many other carriers do you have and use? A gypsy mama water wrap, an ergo, a moby wrap, a placid baby mei tai, a mexican rebozo

4. What carriers have you tried that you do not like and why? I had a Kelty Kangaroo which I hated because it killed my shoulders and balanced baby on her crotch. And, my torso is too short for frame packs.
#30 of 44 Old 05-03-2005, 05:15 PM

**Usually a Hotsling for my 3.5 month old son

** Hotsling b/c it is so multi-functional and I love the fabric

** 2 Hotslings, 1 homesmade ring sling and a handful of homemade puches and 1 Oopa silk on the way and I'm considering a Mei tai

**I've not really tried one that I didn't like so far (except for a ring sling that I made following the Maya pattern)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page