"Babywearing makes gettting stuff done a breeze!" - HOW???? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 05-06-2005, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The funniest thing to me about Dr. Sears and babywearing was where he says how you really can wear your baby anywhere... that he & Martha once went to an elegant function and she wore her baby in a dressy black sling, and how people said "oh how cute, there's a baby in there!"

Now maybe someone said that - maybe this was a gathering full of AP people ... but I have this image that it was someone's black tie wedding. Someone mainstream and conservative, and that while they SAID it was cute, they were cringing inside and thinking "I can NOT believe they brought the baby - will their kookiness never end?!"
#32 of 37 Old 05-06-2005, 02:19 PM

Christy--I thought that part in the book--the formal fuction sling-wearing--was funny too. When I read that, I found myself wishing that my husband and I would get invited to some fancy event, just so I could try wearing my baby to it. But no luck. (We're just not popular or high-styling enough, I guess.) Though I doubt that my baby would have stayed quiet and peaceful, even in the sling, throughout a formal event.

I wanted to add, on the whole chores-while-babywearing topic, that for a while I was so determined to be a Sling-wearing Domestic Goddess, that I think I may have at times overlooked safety in favor of my aspirations to an ideal. My advice? Go with safety over all! I realize that's probably a big "well, duh", but I admit I still sometimes find myself thinking, "Oh, I'll just wear her in the sling down the precarious, creaky stairs to the basement, while also carrying a laundry basket full of dirty clothes..." because it makes me feel like Super Sling Woman. But then I come to my senses and put her down for the minute or two it takes to throw in the laundry or get something out of the oven or whatever. Besides, I'm a bit of a clumsy clod (I tripped and fell once while babywearing on a walk with my dog), so I always opt for safety first now. Just use common sense, and you'll be fine!
#33 of 37 Old 05-06-2005, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmmrk1974
Now maybe someone said that - maybe this was a gathering full of AP people ... but I have this image that it was someone's black tie wedding. Someone mainstream and conservative, and that while they SAID it was cute, they were cringing inside and thinking "I can NOT believe they brought the baby - will their kookiness never end?!"

cmmrk, I have taken my son to 2 black tie affairs with my son in a black pouch, and once in a Baby Bjorn prior to owning pouches, wraps and slings. All 3 times I received many wonderful comments. I gave out the website to people at all 3 affairs. People were genuinely intrigued by my pouch and thought it was very cool None were AP leaning crowds. I do not think that their interest and comments were made with false intentions. I think if anything it showed that a baby can come to a wedding, be and nurse in happiness and with minimal intrusion upon those who would rather a baby not be there. Some people might learn.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#34 of 37 Old 05-06-2005, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne_girle
I giggled over Dr. Pollyanna. Glad I'm not the only one who felt less than adequate for not wearing her all day.
My youngest would scream if he wasn't in a sling morning, noon and night. I couldn't put him down for a full four months. By the time he was ready to start exploring the world on his own, I was relieved and glad to put him down!!!
#35 of 37 Old 05-06-2005, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

meco, that is so nice to hear. I should not be such a skeptic/pessimist!

The whole wedding planning thing was not that long ago for me, and I remember reading so many bridezilla posts/rants where the bride was so offended that some cousin or aunt or coworker wanted to bring their baby. I guess that's what I was thinking of. But I am happy to hear that not everyone is like that, even outside the AP world!
#36 of 37 Old 05-06-2005, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmmrk1974
The funniest thing to me about Dr. Sears and babywearing was where he says how you really can wear your baby anywhere... that he & Martha once went to an elegant function and she wore her baby in a dressy black sling, and how people said "oh how cute, there's a baby in there!"

:
#37 of 37 Old 05-06-2005, 07:44 PM

I didn't like the sling for doing chores...DS practically lived in a stretchy wrap between 3 and 8 months and I found I could get most things done, I just had to be a little further way from things (he was in the tummy to tummy on the front). I also use a hotslings pouch a lot, and like that I can shift him to the back of my hip and have him out of the way while I cook or do dishes. I am also BIG fan of woven wraps and started back carrying him at about 6 months, usually the Tibetan strap carry, which is the easiest and quickest back carry ever! The baby gets nice and high, can see over your shoulder and your arms are totally mobile, unlike a sling. If you are nervous about baby having a floppy head while on your back, get a really light, breathable scarf and tie that over your back carry to support the baby's head. (A nice light cotton gauze scarf would be perfect).

I did manage to get all my chores done while using the wrap front carry when DS was really little. I cooked, cleaned, did laundry, shopped, yada yada. You have to tie them in REALLY tight so you are confident having hands free. But there are certain things you have to do with out the baby, like scrubbing the tub. Although I did manage to wash the bathroom floor the other day with DS on my back.

Now before I start sounding like super woman...I must confess that as DS gets older and less happy being carted around in my various carriers, I'm REALLY letting the house work go :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page