Which Mei Tai?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 05-10-2005, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I decided to get a MT for the summertime. It seems to be the least amount of fabric.

Which one would you get? I love the Baby Fairies Pack Pack's fabrics (www.babyfairies.com). Does anyone have one of these?

I hear good things about the Freehand, but no fabric really grabs me. But she mentioned new ones were coming and she does do custom ones too!!

Also: http://www.mamabydesign.com/mama/ are the super cool applique ones.

Are there any others I should be considering? Thanks

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#2 of 42 Old 05-10-2005, 01:32 AM

you'd look cute in anything
#3 of 42 Old 05-10-2005, 01:37 AM

It's true pam, she would.

I do not by any stretch of the imagination need another carrier, nor can I really afford one, but I am seriously considering selling some stuff so I can buy one of these:
www.mamabydesign.com
(the site is obviously under construction -- I'm not even sure if she's putting it out there yet, but she gave me the link so I assume it's ok!)

That's MDC's own Hera. She is making me a totally kickass messenger bag, and I think maybe I shoudl get a MT to match...? I really like her design with the T on the bottom. The Kozy is not that comfy because the straps cut into T-bone's chunky legs a little bit. I think this design solves that.

Her applique work is so cool! And she is a design genius judging from her ideas on my bag.
#4 of 42 Old 05-10-2005, 01:40 AM

It is beautiful. No prices up yet.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#5 of 42 Old 05-10-2005, 01:42 AM

Here is her gallery http://www.unit13.net/coppermine/thu...s.php?album=14
Her prices are cheaper than Freehand.

ETA: she has one up for auction on wahmchicks, for a breast cancer charity.
http://wahmchicks.com/item.php?id=22...cb317ea0ee79fb

isn't it gorgeous!
#6 of 42 Old 05-10-2005, 01:43 AM

I want that butterfly one!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#7 of 42 Old 05-10-2005, 02:11 AM

Those are gorgeous. When???
#8 of 42 Old 05-10-2005, 02:28 AM

I asked "when" on her auction.

I DONT NEED ANY MORE CARRIERS.
#9 of 42 Old 05-10-2005, 02:43 AM

I have a pak-pack. Love it! Very soft. It's got a big body so it's great for sleepy babies. In fact we're up on her gallery now- with Savannah asleep on my back. I have several different Mei tais but this one was my first and I do really like it.

hope that helps!

-Angela
#10 of 42 Old 05-10-2005, 06:31 AM

I know some people love their MTs equally and just go by fabric, but this is not the case for me. I my Kozy. I prefer the fabric choices from other places (though I do think my Kozy-- it's the Road Trip fabric-- looks trendy), but the Kozy is just so easy and comfy even in comparison to my other MTs.

I'm getting old. Now it's function over fashion!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#11 of 42 Old 05-10-2005, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I really like the design of the Kolamo MT.
#12 of 42 Old 05-10-2005, 10:56 AM

If you love a design of a particular MT, but do not like their fabric choices, you could always have one done custom. Custom doesn't always necessarily mean more $. Many of them deduct some $ for sending in your own fabric. Contact the vendor and find out if you can have a custom MT done.

However, I love my Freehand, Sachi, and Kozy.

Abigail
#13 of 42 Old 05-10-2005, 11:21 AM

I would stay away from brocades, personally, if heat is a concern.

There are many good Mei Teis with beautiful cottons.

I have to agree with Mizelenius, though.

I my Kozys.

Knowing what age baby would help, though.
#14 of 42 Old 05-10-2005, 11:40 AM

Babyfairies' fabrics are fairly lightweight, so it would probably work well for summer (I don't have one though).

But you could also get a Solarveil MT.
#15 of 42 Old 05-10-2005, 12:09 PM

I have a brocade baby faries pack-pack and it is so much lighter than dh's placid baby mei tai. My sister has a reg baby faries mei tai and that is even lighter than mine. I would definatly reccomed baby fries for a summer mei tai, dh has even been wearing my brocade one (gold with pink butterflies) when its been warmer

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#16 of 42 Old 05-10-2005, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Awww, thanks, Pam, but my analness insists I have something that matches my wardrobe :

I like a cotton fabric. I love brocade, but I want an everyday workhouse carrier. I only have and use a hemp pouch from Mom and Me and a Gauze wrap now, but I want an easy lightweight carrier. The hemp pouch might be too much. The Gauze wrap is great, but not always what I need.

My son is 2. 28 lbs or so. I am not going solely on fabric, but I have a need for some complementary action. I should ask about customs. The fabric on the Kozy and Freehand are just not my style. And if I do not love it, I won't use it. $60-70 is a lot to spend on something I am not madly in love with.

I have been told Solarviel is scratchy, and my son does not like scratchy stuff. So I was avoiding that because he spends a lot of time in a carrier. I would say at least 2-3 hours a day, sometimes a lot more.

Thanks, mamas! I am going to keep looking. I love the Mama by Designs. I saw her over at the BW. She does do beautiful work.

Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#17 of 42 Old 05-10-2005, 02:16 PM

I want to keep my baby in 2-3 hours a day..... I suck!

#18 of 42 Old 05-10-2005, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Why can't you?

I have to. Anywhere I walk, he rides. Plus I consider it exercise

#19 of 42 Old 05-10-2005, 02:54 PM

I just am having problems getting a comfortable, secure feeling fit.

I did not wear my first two but am trying to wear him as much as possible. I want to wear him on my back but am having trouble feeling secure. The other holds he is in my way. Also he likes his feet out and he has chubby thights. Some holds I feel put pressure on his thighs.

I own a KKAFP, az new native pouch, a Ultimate Baby Wrap, a Wise Woman sling, and a Hot sling.....maybe just the wrong kinds for what I want to do.

#20 of 42 Old 05-10-2005, 05:49 PM

Sounds like you have alot of pouches! While they're great, I think of them for easy and quick in-and-out situations.

Not familiar with your wrap, but I think you'll be very happy with a Mei Tai - and there are some beautiful ones out there and in-stock, you just have to look.

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
#21 of 42 Old 05-10-2005, 05:52 PM

Hey Angela...I love your name! And your location!

#22 of 42 Old 05-13-2005, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillamama
That's MDC's own Hera. She is making me a totally kickass messenger bag, and I think maybe I shoudl get a MT to match...? I really like her design with the T on the bottom. The Kozy is not that comfy because the straps cut into T-bone's chunky legs a little bit. I think this design solves that.
Um...am I allowed to post on this thread?

I just wanted to say that I'm not sure that mine would solve this problem. Kelley's straps are wider than mine, which seems like it would make them easier to spread out to distribute the weight a little better. I tie mine in a way that keeps the strap off the legs for the most part and it doesn't dig in, but that is something that could be done with any Mei Tai, not just mine.

Thanks for the love, though. Off to go deflate my head now... :
#23 of 42 Old 05-13-2005, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

I knew I recognized GM's purse in the albums.

Thanks, mama, I did decide to get one Hopefully soon.

#24 of 42 Old 05-16-2005, 02:53 AM

Hi Mamas!

I just wanted to give you a little testimonial as to the awesomeness of Hera's Mei Tai. I have one with a really cool Water Lily design on the front and I just love it! I was carrying DD (now 5 months) in a bjorn or a sling, but they were both killing my back. I switched to the MBD and my back never bothers me from it. The whole thing is really well made, from good quality durable fabrics, and sewn with a great eye on detail. I think the straps are excellent. My shoulders are pretty sensitive, but these sratps are well padded and pretty wide. Mine are a little short, but I see in the pics she is making them longer now.
DD is happy to hang out in the carrier for several hours at a time too. I wear her in it to the Market on Saturdays and she sits in there for upto 4 hours without fussing. And she has very chubby legs and there is never anything squeezing or pinching her.
I have to warn you to be ready for a steady stream of compliments of you get a Mama By Design. After the first weekend I wore mine to the market I called Hera and begged for business cards! Everyone loved the carrier and they all wanted her number. My neighbor even montioned getting one for her dog! I will try to post some pics of me and DD with our Mei Tai.
Meco, I think you will totally love this carrier. I am so picky I didn't even get a sling for DD1 b/c I hated them all. And i wouldn't give up this carrier for anything! (heck, I'm thinking about one in a different color scheme!) :LOL

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#25 of 42 Old 05-17-2005, 04:22 PM

Does anyone have a link for the Baby Fairies packs referred to in the OP?
#26 of 42 Old 05-17-2005, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk
Does anyone have a link for the Baby Fairies packs referred to in the OP?
www.babyfairies.com

pack-packs
#27 of 42 Old 05-18-2005, 12:09 AM

I too want to get a mei tai. I love my hotsling but baby is getting bigger and I'm thinking a back carrier will be much more comfortable. I tried on a Kozy Carrier mei tai today and really liked it but with sooooooooooo many choices out there it is hard to commit. Can anyone tell me a good place to look for second hand slings?

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#28 of 42 Old 05-18-2005, 11:21 PM

Try http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=25

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BabywearingSWAP/

The Trading Post here at MDC

and ebay....

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#29 of 42 Old 05-19-2005, 06:15 PM

just got a Mei Tai baby, from MeiTaibaby.com and I love it and her fabric choices. My dd is 11 months and 24lbs and i can already put her on my back by myself!
#30 of 42 Old 05-20-2005, 08:40 AM

Okay. Just ordered a freehandbaby. Couldn't wait anymore.

Hera, how does one order from you? The pictures on the link are gorgeous, but there's no indication of how to go ahead with an order ...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page