Can we talk about summer babywearing? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 05-14-2005, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, here in NC it is definitely heating up, and I'm realizing that I need a new ring sling for summer...I had dd in my OTSBH the other day and we both were burning up. I had been thinking of getting a Wise Woman stretch twill sling (a friend has one that I love) but now I'm wondering if that's really the best choice for our hot summers? I am wary of Maya Wraps b/c the one I had with dd#1 (now long gone) would slip, which drove me crazy--but the fabric is appealing from a coolness point of view.

And for swimming...what's the best way to go? Mesh? Solarveil?

I also have a Kozy and a Sachi that I use a lot...the Sachi is a lighter weight "summer" fabric, which I actually like less than the canvas b/c it seems less sturdy...I was thinking of selling it but am now wondering if I'll be glad to have it in the hot weather...

Thanks as always for your input, ladies....
#2 of 22 Old 05-14-2005, 09:28 AM

Well, I bought a solarveil pouch (Hotslings) for the pool this summer, but decided to wear it to the park yesterday, because I wanted any help I could get in avoiding last week's sunburn disaster (yes, it is possible to feel like a COMPLETE heel and give your six-week-old a sunburn -argh!). The thing I noticed after about 15 minutes was how much cooler it was! So I think from here on out that's going to be my outdoors carrier (we're in Atlanta, so it's definitely heating up here too). I'll still use my others at home and when I've got to run errands, but for walks, the park, etc., I'm going to be using the solarveil.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#3 of 22 Old 05-14-2005, 02:21 PM

or if you're looking for a mesh ring sling - there are several on the market including Zolowear, Taylormade and Kangaroo Korner.
#4 of 22 Old 05-14-2005, 02:48 PM

I'd definately reccomend a solarveil sling, there are several on the market right now. Considering how spendy Solarveil is these arent bad prices either:

www.Hotslings.com $45.00 (pouch)
www.mammasmilk.com $40.00 (pouch)
www.taylormadeslings.com $47.00 (ring sling)
www.babyspaceslings.com $54.00 (hybrid) w/pocket
www.kangarookorner.com $42.00 (ring sling)
www.zolowear.com $59.00 (ring sling) w/pocket

Then there are also several mesh slings which would work great as well. I have a Solarveil and I have to agree it is much cooler than a cotton sling for summer! For basics I would go with a pouch sling because not only aer they cheaper but really easy to use. For longer usage I'd go with a ring style sling so you could use the tail as a cover up for added sun protection.
#5 of 22 Old 05-14-2005, 02:52 PM

cotton isn't actually all that cool in summer.I prefer blends myself. I am bummed i won't be able to use my silk zolo much in the heat of summerAt least I have my stetch zolo!)
I need to get a solarveil...

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#6 of 22 Old 05-14-2005, 10:03 PM

I have been researching a sling for a friend, who is moving to Louisianna, and I emailed Wise Woman Sling, and she said she had a linen sling that was good for warm weather.
Heard they are good slings.
#7 of 22 Old 05-14-2005, 11:15 PM

I know linen feels great in the summer in the south for clothing. It should work great as a sling. I'd like to have a linen mei tai myself. I made myself a solarveil MT but the straps are not padded. I just intend to use it in the shower for short times or in the pool where bouancy comes into play. I'm trying to come up with an easy way to protect dd's legs with minimum fabric so that the MT still feels like I'm not wearing a bunch of fabric...the only reason I don't grab a wrap every day.
#8 of 22 Old 05-14-2005, 11:25 PM

I think for swimming anything that dries fast and doesn't hold too much weight in water is good - gauze (ie: wrap) or a mesh sling would be easiest.

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#9 of 22 Old 05-14-2005, 11:55 PM

I have a taylormade solarveil ring sling that I bought last year. It was a hard transition from my pouch because the fabric didn't have much give and was hard to tighten up. Now that it has been used much more for my new little one I am beginning to like it better. Just keep in mind that the fabric isn't as easy to work with at first! But it is an awesome weight for the TX heat.

Amy
#10 of 22 Old 05-20-2005, 01:23 PM

try www.froggygarden.com I got a solarveil ring sling from her last year. Sadly, I never used it and just sold it...she has great prices...I think around $28!
#11 of 22 Old 05-20-2005, 01:27 PM

There are also Solarveil Mei Tais with hoods, if you like Mei Tais.

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
#12 of 22 Old 05-20-2005, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJewels79
try www.froggygarden.com I got a solarveil ring sling from her last year. Sadly, I never used it and just sold it...she has great prices...I think around $28!
:
These look interesting....anyone try one?
#13 of 22 Old 05-20-2005, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My DD and I got through last summer w/ a Kozy. I'd turn the canvas side out because the lighter color kept her cooler. And the open sides helped, too, so more sweat could evaporate.

Not so sure it would be good in humidity, tho. ANd when it comes down to it, doesn't matter what you're using, at a certain point you're both going to sweat a LOT. So a sling/carrier you can nurse in (keep that babe hydrated!) is a sure bet!

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#14 of 22 Old 05-20-2005, 03:02 PM

www.sleepingbabyproductions.com and www.prettymommaslings.com both do solarveil at VERY good prices and they are high quality slings, IMO.

I would also get another Mayawrap and redo that shoulder on it. That is my all time fave summer material.
#15 of 22 Old 05-20-2005, 03:30 PM

I've been using my sleepbabyproductions.com solarveil sling for walks with my 4 week old and it has been great! I love having the tail to put over her head for added protection.

Gail
#16 of 22 Old 05-21-2005, 11:06 AM

Love my Wallababy.com solarveil sling....$35

Mama Gina

flower.gif hippie.gif knit.gifhomeschool.gif  h20homebirth.gif  namaste.gif
Noah 14bikenew.gif, Emma 12 flowerkitty.gif, and Andrew 8 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

#17 of 22 Old 05-21-2005, 12:52 PM

I am considering getting a solarveil sling for being out in the sun AND for the shower, but I am not sure whether I am going to...

I heard the fabric is kind of scratchy and for solarveil really to work they say it needs to be 2 layers. But then again, if has 2 layers, than it does not dry as fast...

Maybe having a mesh / single layer solarveil sling for the shower + a double layer solarveil sling for the sun??
#18 of 22 Old 05-21-2005, 02:47 PM

Oh dear, I bet you were hot in the OTSBH! I live in FL and I think I would spontaneously combust if I went outside in that sling! :LOL

For summer, I love any sateen hotsling...amazingly lightweight and airy. Can't beat 'em.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#19 of 22 Old 05-21-2005, 06:06 PM

Taylormade also has an organic cotton mesh that is really lovely. It doesn't have the SPF of Solarveil but it's very soft. Also, Chick Slings has something called Solar Weave that is different from solarveil.

One layer of solarveil does work, it's just not as high an SPF as two layers. It's not scratchy to me, but more nubbly. I think the white is supposed to be the softest. I've heard the different colors feel different and some are softer than others.
#20 of 22 Old 05-21-2005, 06:53 PM

One layer of solarveil actually has a lower UPF than a cooton t-shirt, blocking only 70% of the sun's rays vs. a tshirt which blocks 80. However, many use solarveil for its quick-drying coolness rather than sun-blocking properties. It is a synthetic fabric that sort of mimics the properties of cotton gauze.

For summer you will find most lightweight ring-slings fine. I wore my 2yo in a Maya wrap (even a black one in El Paso TX) without heat problems. There are certainly other carriers I prefer, and obviously polar fleece is out, but I think that saying "Cotton isn't cool" is too much of a blanket statement. I'm wearing a cotton gauze shirt right now that is much cooler than my cotton sweatshirts. Even in a fabric like wool, there is a lightweight jersey, mesh, lightweight summer suits, and heavy heavy wool sweaters.

For swimming I don't like cotton because it takes much longer to dry and stays clammy. If you're planning on taking it off as soon as you leave the water, though, any fabric will do. I have a TT cotton mesh and it's great. I've handled some of the lovely linens at sleepingbaby and I think they'd be super cool too. I do prefer synthetics for water use, but natural fibers for nearly everything else (although fleece is one of those strange hybrid exceptions).

As far as the UPF discussion goes, though, I think usually at least part of baby's body is sticking out, so focusing on clothing them properly is a more appropriate focus than getting a UPF sling, unless your baby likes to be completely enclosed.
#21 of 22 Old 05-21-2005, 07:52 PM

I have a solarveil from KK. I bought it last spring when they had them on sale. I bought it mostly because it was on sale, and figured the SPF properties were an added benefit seeing how he was due in the summer. I used it exclusively until about a month ago when I made my own.

The fabric is a bit rough, but I found washing it helps. Its also very quick drying. I haven't gotten a chance to use it in a pool. I hope to do so next weekend. wish me luck.
#22 of 22 Old 05-22-2005, 01:35 AM
ber

M, mom to DS1 (8 yrs), DS2 (5 yrs), and DS3 (2 yrs).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page