Maya Wrap or Hotsling? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 06-03-2005, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trying to decide what to get for a newborn (due in 13 days!) and don't know which would work better. I had a Nojo with DS and didn't ever get the hang of it. I think it was too big because the padding came up into the rings. For that reason, I thought I would like the maya because there is no padding. The hotsling looks more user friendly because there are no rings to bother with. Help! I need to order this weekend so it will get here.
Thanks!
#2 of 27 Old 06-03-2005, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hotsling!
#3 of 27 Old 06-03-2005, 10:37 AM

I would recommend the hotsling for just the fact of user-friendliness. It takes little to no practice.

The maya wrap is a bit more versatile, but I think risk of giving up on it is higher than with a pouch.
#4 of 27 Old 06-03-2005, 10:46 AM

Definitely Hotsling!

Stretch, padded, (reversible if you like) Hotsling.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#5 of 27 Old 06-03-2005, 10:57 AM

I was having trouble deciding, too, and everyone told me to get a hotsling. I'm ordering mine this weekend. Have you looked at the hotsling site? They look great and really easy to use!

Shannon
#6 of 27 Old 06-03-2005, 11:22 AM

Hotsling - mostly because I am not the biggest fan of ring-slings
My favorite for newborns though is a stretchy wrap (mamakangaroo.com is my favorite)
#7 of 27 Old 06-03-2005, 11:39 AM

The padding is not really a huge deal with the Hotsling and is not at all like the Nojo. You can wear the padded part to the outside until you start using the hip carry. I would say the Hotsling over the Maya, it is very user friendly.
#8 of 27 Old 06-03-2005, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Another vote for a Hotsling! DS practically lived in it for the first few months.

I bought both a Maya Wrap and a Hotsling before DS was born. The Maya never worked out for me but the Hotsling was a lifesaver! I thought I just didn't like ring slings until I bought my Wise Woman sling - nope, I love my Wise Woman too, it was just the Maya that I had problems with.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#9 of 27 Old 06-03-2005, 03:12 PM

One more vote for a Hotsling! Definitely get a padded one!
#10 of 27 Old 06-03-2005, 03:34 PM

People do love their hotslings....but for most versatility with a tiny one and nursing in public....I vote Mamababy!

Also made by Mayawrap. It is stretchy material and IMO the shoulder is easier to work with.

www.mayawrap.com
#11 of 27 Old 06-03-2005, 03:38 PM

I've never used a hotsling but I absolutely love my maya wrap for its versatility and my babies do too. i can carry my 3 year old or my 8 week old!
#12 of 27 Old 06-05-2005, 05:14 AM

I would go for a Hotsling -- I had big problems with the Maya because I just cannot seem to figure out a ring sling :-)
#13 of 27 Old 06-06-2005, 07:16 PM

ring sling definitely has a learning curve...newborns aren't usually willing to be all that patient while you learn....hotsling
#14 of 27 Old 06-06-2005, 10:54 PM

Another vote for hotsling with padded rail (stretch cotton). I've used mine daily for the past 6 months. It is so easy to use and comfortable.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#15 of 27 Old 06-07-2005, 05:59 PM

I guess I'm in the minority, but I vote for a ring sling! I have a 6 week old and we've used our ring slings way more than the hotslings. I find the ring slings easier to get baby in and out. My baby also does not like the cradle hold and I find the ring sling more secure for the t2t hold with a small baby. I've also been able to nurse in the ring sling quite easily but wasn't able to with the hotslings. I don't want to sound like I'm bashing hotslings, because I have two and really like them however i think I will use them more when my baby can do the kangaroo carry and hip carry.
#16 of 27 Old 06-07-2005, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallynn
I would recommend the hotsling for just the fact of user-friendliness. It takes little to no practice.

The maya wrap is a bit more versatile, but I think risk of giving up on it is higher than with a pouch.
Ditto this. I like the Maya fabric but the hotsling is defintely the most user friendly.
#17 of 27 Old 06-07-2005, 11:14 PM

I had a maya, and had never even heard of a hotsling. Now looking up the website, the hotsling does look a lot more user friendly--if I had to choose now I'd probably pick a hotsling.
#18 of 27 Old 06-08-2005, 04:18 PM

I've got both...my one caveat with a Hotsling is that you've got to be sure it fits right. My first Hotsling was too big, and once I put dd in the kangaroo carry (7 wks) it killed my back! The maya wrap (or any ring sling) has the adjustability factor...BUT, now that I know my size, I use my Hotsling every day, even if it's just to go for the mail. Very poppable (easy in and out). And the fleece ones for the winter are yummy!
Personally I find the maya wrap material too slippery for a good hip carry...could be just me. FWIW even though I rarely use the maya wrap any more, I definitely feel like I got my money's worth from it; I put dd in the kangaroo carry in it EVERY single day from about 8 weeks to 4.5 months.
#19 of 27 Old 06-08-2005, 08:59 PM

I use both for different purposes, but if I had to pick one, I would definitely pick my hotsling.
#20 of 27 Old 06-08-2005, 09:08 PM

Hotsling! I own both and vote for the Hotsling hands-down.

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#21 of 27 Old 06-09-2005, 12:27 AM

I vote both! Pouches are easy but ring slings are adjustable, and if your babe likes to be upright, being able to tighten that top rail in the ring sling is really nice. I love Hotslings, but the Maya Wrap will always be my first love.
#22 of 27 Old 06-09-2005, 08:57 AM

B/n the two I'd get the hotsling. But I think for my next baby I'm really digging the stretchy wrap ones. They look awesome in person too and the babies look so snug and comfy.
#23 of 27 Old 06-09-2005, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
what about BOTH? i have different slings for different uses, so i would say the hotsling and then the mamababy *BY* mayawrap, (it's their ring sling made of jersey knit). i hated the maya but the mamababy is so much suited to a newborn. especially in the chest to chest snuggle hold. LOVE IT a million times.
#24 of 27 Old 06-09-2005, 12:25 PM

i just got my hotsling yesterday and i already love it.

i do love the maya wrap too, and my husband loves wearing it as well. it's just a bit harder to manage for me than the hotsling is.
#25 of 27 Old 06-09-2005, 12:36 PM

Here's another vote for both. I have a ring sling and a Hotslings. I liked the Hotslings a lot when my son was a newborn, but now that he's a bit bigger, I prefer the ring sling.

But actually, I might vote instead to get a Hotslings and a stretchy wrap. I found the wrap a little easier to learn than the ring sling and they are so comfortable and cozy and you really have both arms and shoulders free. With either a Hotslings or a ring sling your range of movement is more limited.
#26 of 27 Old 06-09-2005, 01:40 PM

I vote Hotsling too!

I have a couple ringslings which I like for older kiddos in the hip carry, but I never could figure out how to carry a newborn in a ringsling...

The NoJo padded sling is NOTHING like a padded hotsling!

Mama to DD 8 * DS 6 * DS 2
Expecting #4 Late Nov 2011
#27 of 27 Old 06-09-2005, 01:40 PM

Hum… that’s a hard one for me. I like them both for different reasons.

I started out with the Maya and was very happy with it. While it does have more of a learning curve which can be a bit of a pain, the adjustability ended up being really important for us. My DD hated the cradle hold and the Maya allowed me to switch her to tummy to tummy and support her head with the top rail (not something I could have done with a pouch.) Being able to tighten it just so was also important to me early on because she felt like she was more secure in the Maya. Plus, when the weather turned cold, I was easily able to adjust for heavier coats and snow suits once they became necessary.

However, this summer I decided to get a Hotsling and I'm very pleased with it too. For the hot weather, I like that it is a lighter weight fabric than my Maya and I don’t have to deal with the tail. I like the padded rail under her knees. Plus now that my DD is pretty much always in the hip carry (adjustability isn’t as big of an issue) popping her in and out is easier than with the ring sling.

So I guess I vote for both, although if money is an issue, I'd try the Hotsling first and then get a ring sling of some sort later towards fall or earlier if the Hotsling doesn’t work out for the newborn phase. You could always use the Hotsling next summer when your child is older and in the hip carry.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page