Killer Mei Tai Experience at Sushi Restaurant - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee
Guess I am too intouch with my inner child because the word cute sits fine with me
Would you want to be considered cute because you were female?
Or because of how you spoke?
Or how you dressed?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#62 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva
There's a fine line between celebrating diversity and mocking another's differences. Why was using broken english in her post necessary? I didn't see anything "cute" about it.

Oh, BTW, multi username much?
It helped me to "see" her story.

Who has multi usernames? Did I miss something? :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#63 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:03 AM

Is babywearing always so political?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#64 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
Would you want to be considered cute because you were female?
Or because of how you spoke?
Or how you dressed?
Sure to all of the above.....

Though I would prefer hot, sexy, or knock out!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#65 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:05 AM

Wow - I decided to take refuge on the Babywearing board for a whille in order to take a break from controversies and endless arguments...
I guess I'd better go check if there are new products in the market on the Diapering forum! :LOL
#66 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Is babywearing always so political?
No......that's what shocked the hay out of me when I went back and read the thread.

#67 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh, BTW, multi username much?

Maybe I misunderstand, but if this is a reference to me and Shanon, look harder. I'm on a laptop, in bed with DS who can't sleep without me these days. DH is in the living room with his supergeek-ready, do-anything desktop.

I would certainly think that our differents styles would attest to that alone, but ah, who am I to judge?

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#68 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:06 AM

Quote:
It helped me to "see" her story.

Who has multi usernames? Did I miss something? :
'someone' is referring to the fact that Past and myself have the same IP. That is b/c we are in the same router in the same house, on 2 seperate computers.
#69 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polihaupt
Wow - I decided to take refuge on the Babywearing board for a whille in order to take a break from controversies and endless arguments...
I guess I'd better go check if there are new products in the market on the Diapering forum! :LOL
:

#70 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelJetA
'someone' is referring to the fact that Past and myself have the same IP. That is b/c we are in the same router in the same house, on 2 seperate computers.
How do you even know someones IP? :

Why would on even care......

#71 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:07 AM

Quote:

We must be coming after this from two completely different places then, because I would prefer intelligent or loving, and not because of my accent or clothes, but because of who I really am.

#72 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:07 AM

Quote:

That would be sexist b/c it insinuates that you have are a specific gender. I won't even mention eye color or hair color. We might slip and insinuate race.
#73 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:08 AM

It's entirely possible to relay a story like this without emphasizing the novelty of someone's racial differences, or casting the other person in a bit part as "cute ethnic character". I know because I saw it done on this very forum.

A woman told how she was shopping in Chinatown with her baby in a new mei tai. She entered a store tended by a man who spoke very little English, and a woman who translated for him. They were surprised to see her carrier and the conversation went like this:

Man: How much did you pay for that?
Mama: About $30.
Man: See? $30 for a lifetime of happiness.

It was a lovely story, it brought tears to my eyes, and it was told with zero little racially-stereotyping cues.
#74 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

as to my last post, I could have said, "we are on two separate computers" but the picture would not have been so clear.

#75 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:09 AM

Quote:
That would be sexist b/c it insinuates that you have are a specific gender. I won't even mention eye color or hair color.
Um, no, it would be sexist because it would be making value statements about her based on her clothing and how "sexy" it was.

#76 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:10 AM

Quote:
That would be sexist b/c it insinuates that you have are a specific gender. I won't even mention eye color or hair color.
:LOL
#77 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:12 AM

Gee, never mentioned names, but it seems the guilty parties are rarin' to go with excuses, I mean...explanations.

I still don't see how using broken english in writing had anything to do with the story. It was racist and something that reminds me of my racist father who used to speak in broken english to the waiters at the Mexican restaurant we frequented, OY VAY!
#78 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:12 AM

Quote:
We must be coming after this from two completely different places then, because I would prefer intelligent or loving, and not because of my accent or clothes, but because of who I really am.
Ok....the hot, sexy, knockout thing was a joke....

It doesn't offend me if someone were to say, "Your hair color is so cute!"
"Your eyes are really cute!" "Your accent is cute" (I live in MN ya know )

Is it more meaningful when someone comments about my character.....absolutely! But that does not make the other comments offensive......it just makes them less intimant.

#79 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:13 AM

Quote:
How do you even know someones IP? :

Why would on even care......

I have no idea (to both questions)
#80 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlndocs
It's entirely possible to relay a story like this without emphasizing the novelty of someone's racial differences, or casting the other person in a bit part as "cute ethnic character". I know because I saw it done on this very forum.

A woman told how she was shopping in Chinatown with her baby in a new mei tai. She entered a store tended by a man who spoke very little English, and a woman who translated for him. They were surprised to see her carrier and the conversation went like this:

Man: See? $30 for a lifetime of happiness.

It was a lovely story, it brought tears to my eyes, and it was told with zero little racially-stereotyping cues.
I read this totally differently. The man was being portrayed as intelligent, kind and supportive. Who gives a rat's a$$ about the way she chose to portray the accent.

Also, how accurately was your conversation relayed? Was it more like:
Man: See? 30 dorrar for a rifetime of happayness.

Is that more accurate? Perhaps not. Either way, I am not going to be offended. The mans words were poignant and that is what was related and accepted (at least by me.)
#81 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Ok....the hot, sexy, knockout thing was a joke....

It doesn't offend me if someone were to say, "Your hair color is so cute!"
"Your eyes are really cute!" "Your accent is cute" (I live in MN ya know )

Is it more meaningful when someone comments about my character.....absolutely! But that does not make the other comments offensive......it just makes them less intimant.
Glad to know it doesn't offend you. But people of Asian descent have shared that it the statements made here were offensive to them, and they would probably be the ones who would be in a good position to judge.

#82 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Who gives a rat's a$$ about the way she chose to portray the accent.
Apparently some people do. Thus, the conflict. Or do their opinions not count?

#83 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Potty Diva, now you're just rude. I have no reason to play inane login games with you guys. I have been here for quite a while, have RL friends from here who can attest to my and Shanon's legitimacy for anyone who might care, but, sheesh...you're out on a limb.

#84 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Gee, never mentioned names, but it seems the guilty parties are rarin' to go with excuses, I mean...explanations.

I still don't see how using broken english in writing had anything to do with the story. It was racist and something that reminds me of my racist father who used to speak in broken english to the waiters at the Mexican restaurant we frequented, OY VAY!
Personal Baggage, now I see where you are coming from. You have successfully discredited yourself.
#85 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Tell me you did not just affect an Asian accent in some miguided attempt to be witty.

#86 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:17 AM

Quote:
I read this totally differently. The man was being portrayed as intelligent, kind and supportive. Who gives a rat's a$$ about the way she chose to portray the accent.

Is that more accurate? Perhaps not. Either way, I am not going to be offended. The mans words were poignant and that is what was related and accepted (at least by me.)

Unbelievable! Now I can see that this is really going no where. We are dealing with people who see nothing wrong in making fun of, belittling, or steotyping others who are not like them. I'm reporting this to CM. This is just to much.
#87 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:18 AM

OKay, a person of Asian descent was offended. If I accidentally offended someone, I would want to dialogue about it, not brush it off with an Oh but I didn't mean anything.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#88 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:18 AM

as a bystander I have a question...would quotation marks have helped with the comfort level of the story? I mean, if someone says, "Gee whiz I wulda luved a big ol piece a meat for suppa" that is what that person said as verifiable by quotes. Does that make a difference to those of you who are taking offense at the broken english portrayed?

OR is the whole controversy that she enjoyed his accent?

I'm not trying to start trouble just trying to understand. In the same light, those who are offended if someone enjoys your differences be it hair color, piercings, singing, writing does that offend you? That is not asked in a snarky way--if the problem is identifying his difference and enjoying that via this story then I am trying to figure out if it is all enjoyment of differnce or identifying that is frowned upon.

Also, if it is not okay for her to post that he was asian and reference his accent what type of writing makes detailing okay? If you are a published author? Newpaper? Magazine? Blogger?

Thanks!

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#89 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Personal Baggage, now I see where you are coming from. You have successfully discredited yourself.
Because I can clearly see racism? Yeah, nice try.
#90 of 212 Old 06-18-2005, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Glad to know it doesn't offend you. But people of Asian descent have shared that it the statements made here were offensive to them, and they would probably be the ones who would be in a good position to judge.
Again, you love to generalize! Go ahead and ask your 'people of Asian descent'...all 2.6 billion of them. You are placing YOUR opinion on a HUGE group. Generalization? I think so.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page