Killer Mei Tai Experience at Sushi Restaurant - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2005, 02:02 AM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 34,451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee
Guess I am too intouch with my inner child because the word cute sits fine with me
Would you want to be considered cute because you were female?
Or because of how you spoke?
Or how you dressed?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-18-2005, 02:03 AM
 
AngelBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Brighton, MN
Posts: 19,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva
There's a fine line between celebrating diversity and mocking another's differences. Why was using broken english in her post necessary? I didn't see anything "cute" about it.

Oh, BTW, multi username much?
It helped me to "see" her story.

Who has multi usernames? Did I miss something? :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

AngelBee is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:03 AM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 34,451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is babywearing always so political?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:05 AM
 
AngelBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Brighton, MN
Posts: 19,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
Would you want to be considered cute because you were female?
Or because of how you spoke?
Or how you dressed?
Sure to all of the above.....


Though I would prefer hot, sexy, or knock out!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

AngelBee is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:05 AM
 
Quindin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,633
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow - I decided to take refuge on the Babywearing board for a whille in order to take a break from controversies and endless arguments...
I guess I'd better go check if there are new products in the market on the Diapering forum! :LOL
Quindin is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:05 AM
 
AngelBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Brighton, MN
Posts: 19,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
Is babywearing always so political?
No......that's what shocked the hay out of me when I went back and read the thread.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

AngelBee is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter
 
Past_VNE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Under a roof of stars and clouds.
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva
Oh, BTW, multi username much?

Maybe I misunderstand, but if this is a reference to me and Shanon, look harder. I'm on a laptop, in bed with DS who can't sleep without me these days. DH is in the living room with his supergeek-ready, do-anything desktop.

I would certainly think that our differents styles would attest to that alone, but ah, who am I to judge?

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
Past_VNE is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:06 AM
 
FuelJetA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: High Above the Chimney Tops
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee
It helped me to "see" her story.

Who has multi usernames? Did I miss something? :
'someone' is referring to the fact that Past and myself have the same IP. That is b/c we are in the same router in the same house, on 2 seperate computers.
FuelJetA is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:06 AM
 
AngelBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Brighton, MN
Posts: 19,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by polihaupt
Wow - I decided to take refuge on the Babywearing board for a whille in order to take a break from controversies and endless arguments...
I guess I'd better go check if there are new products in the market on the Diapering forum! :LOL
:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

AngelBee is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:07 AM
 
AngelBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Brighton, MN
Posts: 19,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelJetA
'someone' is referring to the fact that Past and myself have the same IP. That is b/c we are in the same router in the same house, on 2 seperate computers.
How do you even know someones IP? :

Why would on even care......

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

AngelBee is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:07 AM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 34,451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee
Sure to all of the above.....


Though I would prefer hot, sexy, or knock out!
We must be coming after this from two completely different places then, because I would prefer intelligent or loving, and not because of my accent or clothes, but because of who I really am.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:07 AM
 
FuelJetA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: High Above the Chimney Tops
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee
Sure to all of the above.....


Though I would prefer hot, sexy, or knock out!
That would be sexist b/c it insinuates that you have are a specific gender. I won't even mention eye color or hair color. We might slip and insinuate race.
FuelJetA is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:08 AM
 
girlndocs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: discreet, my @ss
Posts: 4,131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's entirely possible to relay a story like this without emphasizing the novelty of someone's racial differences, or casting the other person in a bit part as "cute ethnic character". I know because I saw it done on this very forum.

A woman told how she was shopping in Chinatown with her baby in a new mei tai. She entered a store tended by a man who spoke very little English, and a woman who translated for him. They were surprised to see her carrier and the conversation went like this:

Man: How much did you pay for that?
Mama: About $30.
Man: See? $30 for a lifetime of happiness.

It was a lovely story, it brought tears to my eyes, and it was told with zero little racially-stereotyping cues.
girlndocs is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter
 
Past_VNE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Under a roof of stars and clouds.
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
as to my last post, I could have said, "we are on two separate computers" but the picture would not have been so clear.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
Past_VNE is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:09 AM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 34,451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelJetA
That would be sexist b/c it insinuates that you have are a specific gender. I won't even mention eye color or hair color.
Um, no, it would be sexist because it would be making value statements about her based on her clothing and how "sexy" it was.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:10 AM
 
Quindin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,633
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelJetA
That would be sexist b/c it insinuates that you have are a specific gender. I won't even mention eye color or hair color.
:LOL
Quindin is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:12 AM
 
Potty Diva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gee, never mentioned names, but it seems the guilty parties are rarin' to go with excuses, I mean...explanations.

I still don't see how using broken english in writing had anything to do with the story. It was racist and something that reminds me of my racist father who used to speak in broken english to the waiters at the Mexican restaurant we frequented, OY VAY!
Potty Diva is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:12 AM
 
AngelBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Brighton, MN
Posts: 19,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
We must be coming after this from two completely different places then, because I would prefer intelligent or loving, and not because of my accent or clothes, but because of who I really am.
Ok....the hot, sexy, knockout thing was a joke....

It doesn't offend me if someone were to say, "Your hair color is so cute!"
"Your eyes are really cute!" "Your accent is cute" (I live in MN ya know )

Is it more meaningful when someone comments about my character.....absolutely! But that does not make the other comments offensive......it just makes them less intimant.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

AngelBee is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:13 AM
 
Potty Diva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee
How do you even know someones IP? :

Why would on even care......

I have no idea (to both questions)
Potty Diva is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:15 AM
 
FuelJetA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: High Above the Chimney Tops
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlndocs
It's entirely possible to relay a story like this without emphasizing the novelty of someone's racial differences, or casting the other person in a bit part as "cute ethnic character". I know because I saw it done on this very forum.

A woman told how she was shopping in Chinatown with her baby in a new mei tai. She entered a store tended by a man who spoke very little English, and a woman who translated for him. They were surprised to see her carrier and the conversation went like this:

Man: How much did you pay for that?
Mama: About $30.
Man: See? $30 for a lifetime of happiness.

It was a lovely story, it brought tears to my eyes, and it was told with zero little racially-stereotyping cues.
I read this totally differently. The man was being portrayed as intelligent, kind and supportive. Who gives a rat's a$$ about the way she chose to portray the accent.

Also, how accurately was your conversation relayed? Was it more like:
Man: How much did you pay for that?
Mama: About $30.
Man: See? 30 dorrar for a rifetime of happayness.

Is that more accurate? Perhaps not. Either way, I am not going to be offended. The mans words were poignant and that is what was related and accepted (at least by me.)
FuelJetA is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:15 AM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 34,451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee
Ok....the hot, sexy, knockout thing was a joke....

It doesn't offend me if someone were to say, "Your hair color is so cute!"
"Your eyes are really cute!" "Your accent is cute" (I live in MN ya know )

Is it more meaningful when someone comments about my character.....absolutely! But that does not make the other comments offensive......it just makes them less intimant.
Glad to know it doesn't offend you. But people of Asian descent have shared that it the statements made here were offensive to them, and they would probably be the ones who would be in a good position to judge.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:16 AM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 34,451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelJetA
Who gives a rat's a$$ about the way she chose to portray the accent.
Apparently some people do. Thus, the conflict. Or do their opinions not count?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter
 
Past_VNE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Under a roof of stars and clouds.
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Potty Diva, now you're just rude. I have no reason to play inane login games with you guys. I have been here for quite a while, have RL friends from here who can attest to my and Shanon's legitimacy for anyone who might care, but, sheesh...you're out on a limb.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
Past_VNE is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:17 AM
 
FuelJetA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: High Above the Chimney Tops
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva
Gee, never mentioned names, but it seems the guilty parties are rarin' to go with excuses, I mean...explanations.

I still don't see how using broken english in writing had anything to do with the story. It was racist and something that reminds me of my racist father who used to speak in broken english to the waiters at the Mexican restaurant we frequented, OY VAY!
Personal Baggage, now I see where you are coming from. You have successfully discredited yourself.
FuelJetA is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:17 AM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 34,451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Also, how accurately was your conversation relayed? Was it more like:
Man: How much did you pay for that?
Mama: About $30.
Man: See? 30 dorrar for a rifetime of happayness.
Tell me you did not just affect an Asian accent in some miguided attempt to be witty.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:17 AM
 
Potty Diva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelJetA
I read this totally differently. The man was being portrayed as intelligent, kind and supportive. Who gives a rat's a$$ about the way she chose to portray the accent.

Also, how accurately was your conversation relayed? Was it more like:
Man: How much did you pay for that?
Mama: About $30.
Man: See? 30 dorrar for a rifetime of happayness.

Is that more accurate? Perhaps not. Either way, I am not going to be offended. The mans words were poignant and that is what was related and accepted (at least by me.)

Unbelievable! Now I can see that this is really going no where. We are dealing with people who see nothing wrong in making fun of, belittling, or steotyping others who are not like them. I'm reporting this to CM. This is just to much.
Potty Diva is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:18 AM
 
the_lissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OKay, a person of Asian descent was offended. If I accidentally offended someone, I would want to dialogue about it, not brush it off with an Oh but I didn't mean anything.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

the_lissa is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:18 AM
 
Jenne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
as a bystander I have a question...would quotation marks have helped with the comfort level of the story? I mean, if someone says, "Gee whiz I wulda luved a big ol piece a meat for suppa" that is what that person said as verifiable by quotes. Does that make a difference to those of you who are taking offense at the broken english portrayed?

OR is the whole controversy that she enjoyed his accent?

I'm not trying to start trouble just trying to understand. In the same light, those who are offended if someone enjoys your differences be it hair color, piercings, singing, writing does that offend you? That is not asked in a snarky way--if the problem is identifying his difference and enjoying that via this story then I am trying to figure out if it is all enjoyment of differnce or identifying that is frowned upon.

Also, if it is not okay for her to post that he was asian and reference his accent what type of writing makes detailing okay? If you are a published author? Newpaper? Magazine? Blogger?

Thanks!


Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   
                   
Jenne is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:19 AM
 
Potty Diva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelJetA
Personal Baggage, now I see where you are coming from. You have successfully discredited yourself.
Because I can clearly see racism? Yeah, nice try.
Potty Diva is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:19 AM
 
FuelJetA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: High Above the Chimney Tops
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
Glad to know it doesn't offend you. But people of Asian descent have shared that it the statements made here were offensive to them, and they would probably be the ones who would be in a good position to judge.
Again, you love to generalize! Go ahead and ask your 'people of Asian descent'...all 2.6 billion of them. You are placing YOUR opinion on a HUGE group. Generalization? I think so.
FuelJetA is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off