Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No, but I like the fabric choices too.
#3 of 26 Old 07-03-2005, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got to check one out in Dallas last weekend, although I didn't try it on. The main thing I noticed is that it's made of much thinner fabric than any other MT I've seen except maybe the Babyfairies ones. There's not a heavy canvas, twill, or denim forming the frame and straps--it's all the thinner cotton.
#4 of 26 Old 07-03-2005, 12:29 PM

Really? Her blurb says that the straps are twill.
#5 of 26 Old 07-03-2005, 01:20 PM

I have two of Robyn's MT's... the big Butterfly and and Amy Butler print...
The Butterfly is black straps and they are canvas and very sturdy....the AB print is beige straps a soft drill and they are both very well made.
Her sewing skills are awesome and you get your sling in 2 days. She is not kidding.
I also have a FH MT and I really like Robyn's better..the FH MT I have is very padded on the shoulder straps, where Robyn has seemed to find just the right amount and I do not feel the straps digging in either.
I have pics if you want to see just pm me..

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

#6 of 26 Old 07-03-2005, 05:35 PM

Has the Baby Hawk MT maker changed her strap fabric? The one we (me and Tupelo Honey) saw in Dallas was made out of lightweight twill. It's quite possible that she has changed material since that one was produced. (Oh the joys of manufacturing...LOL)
#7 of 26 Old 07-03-2005, 06:36 PM

Yeah, that's what I was just coming to post--that she may have changed it since this one was made. But the one we saw had very thin light-weight straps.
#8 of 26 Old 07-03-2005, 08:51 PM

I swear my black butterfly MT is a very heavy canvas...very stiff...same fabric as my FHMT; my beige one is not as stiff but still not light weight by any means...
hth..

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

#9 of 26 Old 07-04-2005, 11:31 AM

Well I am a fabric idiot, so I honestly don't know what the straps of my BabyHawk are. All I can say is that they are thinner than my Mei Tai Baby, and a bit more canvasy feeling, but it's a nice, soft canvas. And they don't have as much padding as the MTB. They are still padded, but less squishy.

I like mine very very much. I got a reversible, Celestial Mosaic on one side and Red Swirl on the other side. I wore it to a picnic this weekend at one of my co-worker's - very mainstream group - and I got TONS of compliments on it.

Pics here: Celestial Mosaic

Red Swirl
#10 of 26 Old 07-04-2005, 02:41 PM

Christy, I love those prints! And you know, it's not unusual for a new vendor to make several changes in their product before settling on just the right thing.
#11 of 26 Old 07-04-2005, 10:36 PM

I got a Baby Hawk for my dh for Father's Day. It's great! It has a shorter body than other mei tais I have so my baby can look around. There is lots of padding in the straps so it is good for back carries too. We have the brown hibiscus print with natural straps. I am not sure what the material is either, but it is very soft, I would describe it as a brushed drill or something. I am sure you can email Robyn if you really want to know! Anyway, we really like ours.
#12 of 26 Old 07-05-2005, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Twill is not a type of fabric, but rather describes the weave. So the weight of twill can vary a lot. Twill means that the weft threads pass over one and then over two or even three warp threads (instead of basic weaving of over one and under one); this is what produces the diagonal lines characteristic of twill.

As others have said, she certainly could have changed her fabrics of late, but just wanted to add that she may be using twill but it is a lighter weight twill than what a lot of us think of when we hear that word.
#13 of 26 Old 07-09-2005, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo Honey
The main thing I noticed is that it's made of much thinner fabric than any other MT I've seen except maybe the Babyfairies ones.
Just to correct information: the babyfairies pack-pack comes in a heavier bottom weight (which I think is the term some of you were looking for) for the straps. The thinner (decorative) fabrics are still an option, though.
#14 of 26 Old 07-10-2005, 10:35 PM

I have one, I don't know what the fabric is, and its my first mei tai so I can't really compare it, but it seems well made and sturdy, the shoulder padding is nice, not bulky at all but nicely padded, I found ergo padding way too bulky and I like this. I am finding it doesn't work that well for me, but I think that is mostly because I need a longer waist strap and perhaps a padded one and I have really wide shoulders so I think I might need a wider shoulder strap. Its really pretty and not too hot which is really nice in this heat.

Aviva
#15 of 26 Old 07-11-2005, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solange
I swear my black butterfly MT is a very heavy canvas...very stiff...same fabric as my FHMT; my beige one is not as stiff but still not light weight by any means...
hth..
I am no fabric genius either,but I do know a little. Freehand doesn't use canvas. She uses twill. And though canvas *can* be stiff at times (especially if it is unwashed) twill usually isn't at least not the ones I have used. And if a fabric has a lot of sizing in it it makes it stiffer (but you wash it and it gets softer)
Canvas comes in different weights too as do many types of fabric.

Kelley, wife to Charlie, SAHM to Xian (8) Piper (7) Arah (4) Ever (2) Thrace (5.09)
: : : : : EC:
#16 of 26 Old 07-12-2005, 06:00 PM

Hi guys! I wish I saw this post 2 weeks ago! Okay right now I am in the process of changing my fabric source. I originally was using canvas for the MT's on Ebay. I then went to a poly/cotton twill, which is what you saw in Dallas Tupelo Honey. It was a bottomweight twill that was framing the pattern. It is much stronger than the cotton used in the patterns, it just doesn't feel thicker because of the polyester. I really like this fabric, it wears nicely and wicks moisture, but I decided to find something with a little more heft. So until I can nail down a great source I am using 100% cotton twill bottomweight (around 8oz). It has more stability to it, it just wrinkles too much!! I guess I can't have the best of both worlds! The natural fabric I use is a middleweight denim, that I am totally in love with. It is very sturdy and washes very well. So I do not plan on changing that. I hope this helped clear up the confusion
Robyn
www.BabyHawk.com
#17 of 26 Old 07-12-2005, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterGently
I am no fabric genius either,but I do know a little. Freehand doesn't use canvas. She uses twill. And though canvas *can* be stiff at times (especially if it is unwashed) twill usually isn't at least not the ones I have used. And if a fabric has a lot of sizing in it it makes it stiffer (but you wash it and it gets softer)
Canvas comes in different weights too as do many types of fabric.
You know what..thanks to my chemo brains..I see in my OP here in this thread, and following posts I made, I called my one MT a FH..and it was not...I had FH on the brain b/c I was looking at the site forever for the Bei Bei podegi..
I actually had a Mei Tei Baby( I just sold it) not a FH MT..so sorry about the mess up...my fingers and brains do not work very well these days..

oh and a big : to Robyn..thanks for dropping in....

Free To Be~
Traci
~John Holt 

#18 of 26 Old 07-12-2005, 07:23 PM

Hi Traci!! I love your doll MT's!
#19 of 26 Old 07-13-2005, 03:20 AM

Does anyone have photos of a toddler being worn in one? I can never tell how it will fit my 2.5 yo when shown with an infant I have been eyeing them.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#20 of 26 Old 07-13-2005, 03:42 AM

Here is a picture of my sister with her daughter, she was right around 2.5 when we took the pictures.

http://www.babyhawk.com/images/alt7.jpg
http://www.babyhawk.com/images/9.jpg
#21 of 26 Old 07-13-2005, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcollar
Hi Traci!! I love your doll MT's!
Hey thanks Robyn!

Free To Be~
Traci
~John Holt 

#22 of 26 Old 07-13-2005, 07:55 PM

I ordered a reversible baby hawk last night Purple brocade on one side and the celestial mosaic on the other side. i cant wait!
#23 of 26 Old 07-13-2005, 09:59 PM

Thanks, Solange, for the awesome photos of your gorgeous MTs. Also, Robin thanks for posting the toddler pics. It is hard to judge with an infant. I swear add 20 lbs on a kid

I am sooo tempted. Besides the Babyfairies and the FH, I never find prints I like and I can definitely choose some here. I love the way the solid frames the print. It looks polished.

Ok, Robin or whoever else knows, I am curious the strap length and especially the width and body height and width. My friend and I were comparing the Babyfairies Pack Pack and FH MT and they were quite different. I emailed Robin already asking about shorter straps : I just hate super wide straps. I am a smaller person so the wide straps overwhelm me.

Thanks, mama, these looks awesome.

Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#24 of 26 Old 07-14-2005, 12:05 AM

This is from the site:

Quote:
The BabyHawk Mei Tai's straps are 68 inches long and 3 3/4 inches wide. The bottom strap is one continuous piece of fabric, which offers the safest support for your baby. The body measures 16 inches by 20 inches
http://www.babyhawk.com/aboutus.html

I emailed her about the waist strap and she said it is also 68 inches long (its one long strap on the bottom).

HTH!
#25 of 26 Old 07-15-2005, 03:20 AM

ohh, thanks! I will have to measure myself. I ordered one, and I read the straps are a bit on the short side which is want. I am so excited. But oh so conflicted on pattern choice...

#26 of 26 Old 07-18-2005, 01:10 PM
Banned

*drools over the skull print*

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page