feels like a strange question, but, does anyone here own a stroller for some purpose? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 07-09-2005, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 2 stroller. A jog stroller that I use when I walk and it is really hot and wearing my ds could cause him to have heat stroke, or when I go to the mall and I need to try on clothes and I don't want to take him off and on a million times. I also keep an umbrella stroller in the car for grandmas to take him for a walk and also for convenient seating when needed. I put him in that sometimes when I am working in the yard and can't wear him. I use my ERGO 95% of the time but sometimes my strollers are invaluable.
#32 of 48 Old 07-09-2005, 12:28 AM

Us too! We've got severaal slings, a back pack carrier, one umbrella stroller and one double stroller. I love sling'n and have for years, but there are times when I need a stroller.

I would love to get a baby buggy board for the single stroller.
#33 of 48 Old 07-09-2005, 08:25 AM

We have the graco metrolite travel system. It was great when Emma was tiny. It was cold and I could bundle her up snugly and then close up the canopy on the carseat and the one on the stroller and block her from the elements. Once we got in somewhere. she got carried a lot. Also, having a baby in RSV season, it was nice to be able to keep poky people's hands off her. If someone wanted to see her, I could open up the canopy for them to take a peek. But usually if the canopies were closed, people let her sleep in peace. I've had people mess with my niece while she was sleeping in sling. Now that she's bigger, Emma is quite an independant spirit and likes to ride in the stroller. She even cried to get out of the sling and into the cart at the store yesterday. It's also good for my mom who can't carry her much.

Jessica, mama to Emma, 7, Mattie, 5.5 and Lilly, 3 and someone new this Halloween-ish.

#34 of 48 Old 07-09-2005, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeldasMom
I am not a big travel system fan because they are so big. If you are getting an infant seat you could get a kohlcraft universal stroller frame if you want to have a stroller. The baby seat snaps into it. The down side is once the baby grows out of the infant seat you have no stroller. This is when we got our umbrella stroller.
That's what we did. I loved our Snap and Go cause dd hated the sling when she was a newborn. I could transfer her in her infant car seat from the car to the Snap and Go frame without waking her.

When she grew out of her infant seat we just bought a lightweight stroller. I mostly carry her in her mei tai now, but it comes in handy for trips to the mall, (just had to buy a bathing suit and wouldn't have had anywhere to put dd while trying them on), and really long walks - she'll sleep longer in the stroller.
#35 of 48 Old 07-09-2005, 06:23 PM

Not a stroller but we will forever keep our pulk for winter and Burley for summer.
Simply amazing how convenient they are for hauling gear, etc.

So, I guess I'd say splurge and buy a high quality convertible like Burley or Chariot.

I mean, I use our Burley 3-4x/week in the summer and that thing is tough!
#36 of 48 Old 07-09-2005, 06:55 PM

I most always bring a stroller when we go to the mall to hold packages and coats in the winter. I mostly just don't have places I go that I need to use a stroller. Like at the grocery store or target it just doesn't make sense to try and push the cart and a stroller. We mostly only use strollers (we have 2 really good umbrella ones) for major outings like when we went to a big convention and had the baby in a carrier and my 3 yr and 5 yr in strollers since it was a very long day of walking the streets and long lines everywhere. Plus my 5yr gets tired easy from walking. Also, it kept my 3yr pretty save since he likes to run off. I really love baby carriers so I always look for opportunities to wear them and spread the babywearing message!

Mama to 5 boys, 1 girl, and 2 dogs!
I'm getting sick of this world, I may need to live on a commune some where! I miss nursing!!!
#37 of 48 Old 07-09-2005, 07:38 PM

I was just discussing this with someone. Stella's butt never hit the stroller in her entire first year but I always used it to go to the mall and carry the bags and diaper bag, etc. I could not have shopped without it!

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#38 of 48 Old 07-10-2005, 11:36 AM

Yep we have 2 strollers.One is the double Peg Perego and then a single Graco one.If the baby is sleeping I put his carseat carrier right into the back part of the double stroller and then my older son in the front.If the baby wakes up I always have a carrier to put him in from the carrier in the stroller.I mostly use the stroller so I can keep my almost 3yr old contained so i can do what I need to without him running off and to hold the diaper bag and whatever else I might need carried! We went to a home and garden expo and I had the stroller with drinks and snacks in it and the diaper bag and my huge purse(looks like luggage hubby says) and the boys were being worn.I had Ashton in the Moby and Aleksei was in the Kelty country on daddy.Some people looked at us like we were nuts but you know what? with all the samples and info they give you at those places our hands were free to do as we pleased and not drug down with bags upon bags of stuff.It more like a shopping cart to me.I use our single stroller for when we go for walks to the park.I put the baby in the stroller(a carrier is in the back of it though) and then we let the others ride their bikes.It gives Ashton freedom and plus there is a toy bar on his stroller too that he plays with.I always end up wearing him home though!
#39 of 48 Old 07-10-2005, 10:18 PM

I love our strollers, but we were really careful about what we bought...waited til DS was born and we could see what we would really use. We ended up with a snap and go that my brother bought us, which has been great for the few mall trips we've taken and such. I find certain kinds of shopping hard to do with a sling because there is nowhere safe to put DS down. Now that DS is growing out of the infant bucket and the snap and go we are going to get a small lightweight umbrella stroller for the few times we need it that we can just keep in the car. The other thing we have though that I love love love is a mountain buggy all terrain stroller. Its perfect for the things we do that we might be out too long to make baby wearing feasible for the whole day...horse shows, fairs, etc. and I can actually take nice long walks on the roads near me (all dirt and bumpy) and DS won't outgrow it for a long long time. They are expensive if you can't get one used (we got ours on major sale because it was last years model) so if you don't need it you don't want it..but the point is that for US it was a lot cheaper to buy one expensive stroller that we could really use and not spend much on a cushy "mall" stroller that would get used rarely.

I don't think there is anything terribly wrong with the graco travel systems but you need to check that they actually fit your lifestyle, too often they are just sort of bought as "of course you need this" and they don't get used because they don't really fit your life. If you are a lot of places with reletively smooth terrain (malls, shopping centers, towns where they keep up their sidewalks) one might work great for when you don't want to carry the baby, but if you rarely go those places than a smaller lighter stroller that you can throw in and out of the car easily for the few times you need it might be much more useful. I know some people who love their travel systems, and others who never took it out of the box...it just depends on where you actually tend to go.

Aviva
#40 of 48 Old 07-10-2005, 11:47 PM

Strollers.....um....yes!!!

I fly at least six or more times a year....and where else am I gonna put my luggage (or kids car seat) while I sling my babies???

I've had good luck with Gracos, too.
#41 of 48 Old 07-12-2005, 12:32 AM

Oh, yes. I have had many strollers - bought, sold, traded, etc.

Currently I have a single Graco Metrolite and a double that is being sold as we speak because it is a nice one and I need the money; I'm getting a different double on freecycle as new babe is due in 5 weeks! (ACK!) Instead I'm splurging on a new Mom n Me Pea in Pod pouch! :LOL

I love to take long walks and the stroller is indispensable for this because using a stroller I can:
1) get my 23 month old to get a good nap in the late morning
2) return all my library books and browse for more as she sleeps
3) get to the p.o. to send off all tp sales!
4) maybe splurge on a bagel or : a frappucino occasionally!

I don't like to shlep out in the van with the toddler so the stroller gives me freedom these days. Everything in its place and time, kwim? Besides, where else would I put all my junk when I go shopping? Baby goes in pouch, toddler goes in stroller,packages/library books/cloth diapers go in stroller!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#42 of 48 Old 07-12-2005, 02:31 PM

(Haven't taken the time to read all the responses, but...)

Yep, we had one with DS1, but didn't use it too much (mostly DH and grandparents liked it), but with both the boys, we have a double stroller, and that does help a lot, especially at the mall, where I can't just let DS1 roam free.

So, I think they're helpful for some things, just not to be used at the exclusion of ever holding your babe.

(Saw a mom at the mall one day, pushing a newborn babe in a very expensive rig, shoving the bottle in his/her mouth. It was sad.)
#43 of 48 Old 07-12-2005, 02:38 PM

We have a double stroller, it's a graco that we bought "used" (It was still in the box!!) from Craigslist.
I only really use it when i'm taking the kids to the park or going to run some errands by myself because I don't think that i'm brave enough to wear a 2.5yo and an 8mo :LOL
I normally have one of them in the pack, and the other in the stroller and there is still the extra seat for holding library books or whatever.
Personally I hate using it, It's hard to manuever around and I feel huge.
#44 of 48 Old 07-12-2005, 02:40 PM

I have 2 strollers. With dd, someone gave me an Eddie Bauer stroller/carseat(great carseat!!!!!) set. I also had a babyjogger jogging stroller. Got rid of the jogger, ad upgraded to a doubleI use it for shopping(sometimes ds in, mostly not. But dd sits in it and ds goes in the sling, and I put the grocery basket in the spot where the second kid would sit. Works perfect for walking to shop!

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#45 of 48 Old 07-14-2005, 01:06 AM

Yes, I push either my umbrella stroller or my behemoth (the Graco double stroller) when we go on walks. Usually empty. But you know that as soon as you are a good mile or two from home one of the kids is going to want to be carried. And there is no way in heck I'm carrying the 5 yr old with the baby on my back. I try to avoid taking in to the mall, but at the zoo we use if for the cooler and the diaper bag. I often carry Abby in the front in a wrap and Anna on my back in an MT though. It is better than trying to navigate the double stroller up and down the aisles. Speaking of aisles - why are the aisles at Babies R Us so narrow and stroller unfriendly. Heck, they're big belly unfriendly. Someone was NOT thinking straight when they were planning.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#46 of 48 Old 07-16-2005, 01:42 PM

I have a Maclaren umbrella stroller for when I am watching another child or doing a playdate, and I need to sling one or two and stroll with the other. I can sling 2 toddlers, but three might be pushing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaknit
A cheap wheeled cart thingy like old ladies use would be more economical, though. I just use the stroller because we already have it.
Unless you are in NYC. I am only 24, and I use one daily as a pedestrian. Here are the different kinds. I use a granny cart for big grocery, recycling or laundry loads. I also have a shopping trolley for smaller, compact heavy loads. But if I am going to the grocer's to grab a few small (but heavy) items, I might use my stroller to hold the stuff while my son rides, walks or is slung. Which he prefers at 2.5 because he is a toddler and he has preferences

I agree slings are easier when traveling. I stopped using a stroller for travel along time ago, and it makes it so much easier.

But my stroller is used so little it squeaks soooo badly when used it is embarassing. It needs major oil.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#47 of 48 Old 07-16-2005, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaby'sIma
Instead I'm splurging on a new Mom n Me Pea in Pod pouch! :LOL
Gaby'sIma: this purchase will pay for itself over and over again though I always tell people the PIP pouch is the one baby item I need when I have a new baby. No other accessories, just the pouch. I mine so much. Congrats on yours! I always want more. :

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#48 of 48 Old 07-16-2005, 04:04 PM

Yes, I use a stroller for shopping and long walks. I have a Mountain Buggy. It's great for long walks - these days, my back just cannot stand up to the strain of slinging by 13 month old.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page