feels like a strange question, but, does anyone here own a stroller for some purpose? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 07-07-2005, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe I haven't researched through the threads enough... I'm just curious if anyone here owns a stroller for reasons other than carrying baby? such as grocery shopping...regular shopping. well now that i'm thinking about it (ha, excuse my pregnant brain.. : ) I guess you'd just use a shopping cart right? or what about traveling?

I'm leaning towards slinging as much as possible, but there is still some little nagging industrial voice in the back of my mind saying "there MIGHT be a use for that stroller...and you won't figure it out till the last minute".

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

#2 of 48 Old 07-07-2005, 04:32 PM

I have a jogstroller that I occasionally have used for shopping. : DS and I travel by bus/foot, and if I need to buy something heavy, like kitty litter or dog food, I carry DS in the ergo and push the groceries in the stroller. Gets lots of funny looks, believe me. :LOL

A cheap wheeled cart thingy like old ladies use would be more economical, though. I just use the stroller because we already have it.

ETA: Slings are soooo much easier than strollers for travel. We are on and off planes in a jiffy, while the stroller people take forever and slow everyone down.
#3 of 48 Old 07-07-2005, 04:35 PM

I have two strollers....a double and a covered umbrella stroller.

They do come in handy and I have used them quite a bit. I also wear whoever would like to be carried. The older two don't want to be carried usually, but get tired of walking to far. Also ds2 sleeps in it when out and about. He sleeps better when he is not being worn.

Check the babies forum. There would be more info on strollers in there.

Also get a used one if possible.....better for the environment.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#4 of 48 Old 07-07-2005, 04:40 PM

We do use a stroller- we actually have 2. It has been useful a few times- at a ren faire- carried baby stuff most of the day and the baby on a few naps. In an airport - for the car seat and extra bags and such, on walks when it is just too hot to wear baby (happens a lot here in Houston)

-Angela
#5 of 48 Old 07-07-2005, 04:43 PM

Well yes I do have a stroller. A few actually. I love wearing my babies but there are times for strollers too for me. I had 3 babies with 1 1/2 years so I couldn't sling them all - although I have tried this on occasion.

First off we (dh and I) are big on going for jogs/runs for exercise. We have a single and a double jogging stroller for this use.

Also when I go out by myself with my 3 babies (which is often) I need the help of stroller. I can either sling 2 and put one in stroller or sling one and put 2 in stroller. My 2 1/2 yo obviously can walk but he usually likes to run (very fast) and sometimes I need him attached to me (holding him or in sling)for safety or strapped in stroller if I'm wearing the twins.

So let's see...with this being your first right? Would you need a stroller...well when I just had my ds I would use stroller for shopping trips. Not so much grocery shopping. But more like xmas shopping. Going from store to store and then accumulating lots of packages that I either had to carry or shove in stroller. Other option is if you are going shopping for yourself. It's pretty hard to try on nursing bras while wearing your baby. And before he was standing I didn't always want to put him on the floor - depending on how clean the floor was and if he was in his suck on everything phase.

Also I am large busted and nursing made them even bigger . So if it was a long trip out there were times where I just needed to walk around without any extra weight.

But all in all I loved just being able to plop him (them) in the sling and go. So easy and we all loved it - me and my kids and I even got dh doing it.
#6 of 48 Old 07-07-2005, 04:50 PM

I have 3 strollers, an Ergo, a Kelty frame pack, 2 ring slings, an Ellaroo wrap, and a bjorn--at the moment.

One stroller is used in the kitchen when I'm cooking and we need to put dd down somewhere. I think my MIL uses it, too, but she also loves the ring sling.
Another stroller (baby jogger) I use on long walks. 6 yo dd uses it more than the baby. I also carry groceries in it. I got it on Freecycle.
My most recent stroller aquisition is a Peg Perego that someone left in front of their house to give away. It was in perfect condition, except it had a stinky pet smell. I hosed it down, washed the cloth seat cover and canopy and it's as good as new. I might put it in the car, but since it has a larger basket, it will be helpful for groceries.

I've put a request on Freecycle for a wagon, but no bites yet. I've gone through several strollers and other baby carriers. I get them (usually) cheap or free, test them out, and get rid of them cheap or free.

I don't leave the house without a ring sling.
#7 of 48 Old 07-07-2005, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
We use ours for getting beer home from the local store. :LOL

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#8 of 48 Old 07-07-2005, 05:07 PM

We got ours at a garage sale for $5 and used it once to carry groceries and the dipe bag on an on foot store run.
#9 of 48 Old 07-07-2005, 05:13 PM

Yup! Before we got a new car, I would use the double stroller to walk to the grocery store and load it up with bags and bags of groceries! I am all too familiar with those 'looks' that the 2nd poster was referring too, lol
#10 of 48 Old 07-07-2005, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

wow i'm glad i asked. reason being, MIL is trying to buy the graco travel system... but i don't want her to spend money on something we might not even use. i'd almost rather just stick to getting the infant carseat, cloth dipes and slings--i mean if she really wants to buy something-- then if I feel like a stroller would come in handy, then i'll consider getting one later, used.

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

#11 of 48 Old 07-07-2005, 05:36 PM

Strollers were our cars when we lived in Denmark and depended solely on public transportation - the big European strollers worked great to bring kids + a bunch of groceries home.

I still have 2 strollers (a carriage one and a umbrella one) and I do still use the big one to carry my big toddler in it when I need to walk to the nearby co-op with my little baby in a carrier + 2 my other kids on each side. It does not happen very often though - I would say we used it only twice this year..
#12 of 48 Old 07-07-2005, 05:49 PM

I couldn't live without my sling, but I also love my stroller! Mostly so when I'm shopping, I can sling the baby and store my packages in the stroller. :LOL However, the baby likes to stretch out sometimes and gets frustrated in the sling, so at those times, the stroller comes in quite handy.
#13 of 48 Old 07-07-2005, 06:33 PM

we have a stroller and up until very recently used it for groceries + trips to the park. now we have a grocery cart but when i go ou w/ my daughter (just me, not the whole family) i put her in the stroller, because since i hurt my back i can't carry her. (her daddy is the babywearer in the family. )

strollers as groceries carts = very good idea.
#14 of 48 Old 07-07-2005, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell024
wow i'm glad i asked. reason being, MIL is trying to buy the graco travel system... but i don't want her to spend money on something we might not even use. i'd almost rather just stick to getting the infant carseat, cloth dipes and slings--i mean if she really wants to buy something-- then if I feel like a stroller would come in handy, then i'll consider getting one later, used.
You definitely don't want a Graco. They're mostly junk. You can try your local craigslist for a used stroller or join the strollerswap group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Stroll...guid=145153311

I bought my single used off ebay. I am also buying a double from a friend.
#15 of 48 Old 07-07-2005, 08:45 PM

I have 2 strollers and I use them on occassion. I'm definitely glad I have them even though I wear her 95% of the time. They great while you're shopping for clothes and can't wear the baby. They're also great if you're going somewhere and you'll need a place for baby to sit (I brought one to my cousin's baby shower so DD could sit in it while I ate), I use it when we go to swimming lessons (I need a place to put her while I change), etc.

I say get one. It will come in handy on occassion, especially if you're going to have more than one child.
#16 of 48 Old 07-07-2005, 09:29 PM

1. jogging stroller for running/brisk walking

2. Umbrella stroller that DS#2 sometimes sits in under a big umbrella in the pool area while DS#1 and I play in the pool. It keeps him out of the son. DS#2 LOVES sitting next to the pool and watching all the other kids play.
#17 of 48 Old 07-07-2005, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We have a travel system that MIL bought when she visited when DS was a month old. It was handy to have the 2nd infant seat - my dad took it to his house at Thanksgiving so when I flew up for Christmas I didn't have to carry the carseat on the plane. The stroller is gathering dust in the closet, never been used. I didn't want her to buy it but she insisted we need one.

I also have a jogging stroller that I use when going for walks (jog for 50 feet, then huff & puff) around the neighborhood.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#18 of 48 Old 07-07-2005, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gour0
You definitely don't want a Graco. They're mostly junk.

WHAT?! our Graco stroller has lasted through almost 5 years of hard use ~ "hard" being rough terrain, up and down hills, hauling groceries and toys and picnic supplies, hauling my 3 year old around while he was still a 3 year old, and still is in good enough shape to take my daughter out for walks and still haul a few bags of groceries.
#19 of 48 Old 07-07-2005, 11:17 PM

When my ds was born the IL's got us a treavel system and I returned it and bought a simple umbrella style inglesina...we've used it here or there, borrowed it to friends-when my IL's visit, Grandma likes to take ds for walks...so I think it is definitely good to have one, yes. Even if you don't use it much at all-you never know when or for what it may come in handy.
I don't have anything against them, I just prefer to sling ds while he still lets me!
#20 of 48 Old 07-08-2005, 01:30 AM

The mainstream idea is that you *need* a stroller. I don't think this is true--I think the answer to whether it makes sense for you to have one ultimately depends on your lifestyle/individual situation. The other items you mentioned (sling, car seat, diapers) are all moe important than a stroller imo.

I am not a big travel system fan because they are so big. If you are getting an infant seat you could get a kohlcraft universal stroller frame if you want to have a stroller. The baby seat snaps into it. The down side is once the baby grows out of the infant seat you have no stroller. This is when we got our umbrella stroller.

We have a jog stroller which I take DS for a walk in twice a day. This is how I get him to nap. Once he's asleep I bring the stroller into the house if it's too hot or cold to stay outside and he sleeps in the stroller. In the summer we generally sit outside while he naps and I knit or read.

We have an umbrella stroller we use for places where we are going to be on our feet a long time and have a lot of stuff we're hauling (like the zoo and airports--though sometimes I wear him a lot in the airport and I have flown w/o a stroller--it's a nice luggage cart though).
#21 of 48 Old 07-08-2005, 01:46 AM

I have a stroller I use to carry shopping bags. The only reason I use it is because I already have it; I wouldn't buy one. I would have rather the money been spent on more carriers.
#22 of 48 Old 07-08-2005, 12:23 PM

Actually I have more than one. This is mainly because my family and my in-laws don't believe in babywearing. I have a graco system and it worked wonderfully well- I don't use the stroller anymore since it is quite large and I have a wagon to go to the grocery store now . It is awaiting the next baby. I use the smaller stroller while shopping since it has a tray and DS is able to eat a snack while shopping. I still like to wear DS but the stroller does come in handy.

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.
#23 of 48 Old 07-08-2005, 01:54 PM

I have a stroller and I use it all the time. I am 4 months pregnant and oh so tired. DS (19 mo) still likes the sling, but it gets very little use. He would rather walk or ride in the stroller, especially when it is hot. He is extremely hot blooded, and I am pregnant so the heat effects me a LOT. There have been times when I thought "Well I will bring the stroller shopping because DS may get tired of walking and I will get tired." and as soon as DS sees the stroller he starts whining and climbing in it. Or he will climb into my friend's strollers. Oh, the life of a toddler.

When DS was younger I had major back issues from a hard labor and I hadn't found out about slings yet, I had a Baby Bjorn... but I won't even start in on that thing. I started when DS was about 7 months but I was still glad to have the stroller. Especially when traveling from NC to CA with a 13lb diaper bag / toy bag. The airport in Phenoix is about 5 miles long... I thought I was going to die when I didn't bring the stroller. Also, those woman who take forever getting their strollers together, need some practice. LOL I move to the side and take maybe 30 seconds to strap DS in and put the 2 bags on the stroller.

With this baby I am planning on getting an double umbrella stroller. At first I wanted one of those travel systems where the baby bucket clicks into the stroller (since it will be freezing and I don't want to shift the baby into the cold if I can avoid it) however, I think now that an umbrell stroller would be a lot easier, and I could use it in the summer for getting to the pool and in the mall, etc.

So, I love the sling, I am so excited to get to use it from birth with this baby... however I think there is a definite use for strollers in the right situation. It is so nice to not have to worry about bringing too much stuff because you can just load the stoller down!
#24 of 48 Old 07-08-2005, 02:34 PM

I have one and use it for long walks with my girlfriends (when we get a chance

We are out for sometimes 2 or more hours, and the kiddos like options. We usually have three mei tais, at least one pouch, and a ring-sling between us, as well as out three strollers. We look like quite a sight coming down the path, but in the strollers are kiddos can eat snacks and/ot lunch, and they nurse, sleep, or sight-see in the carriers.

Also, DH uses the stroller in the eveing after work to take Ds for a walk. His arms and shoulders are tireds at the end of the day, so he usually chooses not to wear ds at these times.

Karin, mom to W (6.5) and wife to B.Babywearing Educator serving New England since 2005. NBPBWI-trained
#25 of 48 Old 07-08-2005, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnybumm
With this baby I am planning on getting an double umbrella stroller. At first I wanted one of those travel systems where the baby bucket clicks into the stroller (since it will be freezing and I don't want to shift the baby into the cold if I can avoid it) however, I think now that an umbrell stroller would be a lot easier, and I could use it in the summer for getting to the pool and in the mall, etc.

So, I love the sling, I am so excited to get to use it from birth with this baby... however I think there is a definite use for strollers in the right situation. It is so nice to not have to worry about bringing too much stuff because you can just load the stoller down!
I have a double umbrella stroller and it came in quite handy and it folds up so well. My two are only 16 months apart and I couldn't have functioned without a stroller when they were younger. Actually, when ds was born I slung him and put dd in the single umbrella stroller. When ds turned two, I bought the double umbrella stroller since ds was getting so big and my back is not so good due to a car accident injury.

Now dd is almost 5, 3 year old ds is autistic (runs from me all the time.) and I am expecting #3 in just ten weeks. I need a new single stroller for the three year old that carries up to 50lbs (to keep him safe, plus he likes to ride in it.), several new slings for the newborn, and dd can walk. lol
#26 of 48 Old 07-08-2005, 04:05 PM

please delete, thank you
#27 of 48 Old 07-08-2005, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gool0005
Honestly, you can't go clothes shopping without one
With my 20mo DS it's difficult to go clothes shopping period. :LOL
#28 of 48 Old 07-08-2005, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, we actually have three strollers. And half a dozen baby carriers. Everything has its place!
#29 of 48 Old 07-08-2005, 08:49 PM

i live in finland so i have a euro stroller. the bassinet kind, my baby sleeps outside in it. i live in a forest area and its really normal for babies to sleep outside in finland and my baby loves it.
#30 of 48 Old 07-08-2005, 09:29 PM

I agree that everything has its place. Slings are great and I love my stroller. Get a sling (I love my pouch style) and a stroller free or cheap they come in handy. I have carried pumkins in mine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page