Mei Tai question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-11-2005, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
excuse the ignorance please...is Mei Tai just the name of a type of sling, ie there are ring slings, pouch slngs and then there are Mei Tais?

I am getting a bit confused whether Mei Tai is actually a brand name.

Now that I'm 27wks pregnant with #2 and my bump is huge (it appears to be as big as I was full term with #1!!!), and I am small/short (just 5ft tall) the hip carry for my almost 22lbs is just getting a bit uncomfortable. So am looking at the getting a Mei Tai. I know, I probably should avoid carrying Samuel but still, a sling suitable for back carry would be good. I have a 4m fabric which I normally use to wrap him on my back, but that's too cumbersome, even more so now with my physique to be bending over and hoisting him up, etc....

And the best place to get a used Mei Tai sling is? Things to look out for when choosing a Mei Tai sling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2005, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

is this a good one to bid for?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Old 07-11-2005, 11:33 PM

A Mei Tai is a type of carrier... and there is at least one maker with 'mei tai' in the name (Mei Tai Baby).

Some mei tais have shorter bodies, others have larger bodies... and you can get the straps padded or not. I don't know about sources for used ones though, sorry!

I can't tell from the link if the fabric is as sturdy as I'd want in a mei tai... also, you really can't use a mei tai for a out-facing front carry!

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
Old 07-12-2005, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

and is a mei tai equivalent to a ABC? also don't really understand the difference between a podegi and a Mei Tai and a ABC - they all look the same, but mind you I haven't seen them IRL. Slinging in NZ seems to be limited to wraps, ring slings and pouches. Unfortunately I am not famous or a celebrity here, otherwise I should look into making slinging a popular thing to do here LOL!
Old 07-12-2005, 10:12 PM

Not to discredit this section but have youbeen over to www.thebabywearer.com tons of info there too. An ABC is the same as a mei-tai. A podegi is similar but a different style.
podegi pic: http://www.ellaroo.com/podaegi.php
Mei-tai/ABC pic: http://www.ellaroo.com/mei-tai.php

Great places to buy "discounted/used" are here on the trading post, the yahoo babywearingswap group, and on the babywearer.

Hope that answers your questions.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:07 AM

There are many brands of Mei Tais, often called ABCs. These include, but are definitely not limited to:

Sachi Carriers
Freehand Baby
Babyfairies
AngelPack
M.O.M. MT
Mama by Design
Octi Baby
Lovey MT

I also like www.attachedtobaby.com to see a few different kinds of MTs.I think they are great for back carries with toddlers. And the two shouldered strap would be a nice benefit.

There are always ones for sale on the Babywearer. Also eBay.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
Old 07-14-2005, 02:56 PM

ABC is "Asian Baby Carrier". This would include the Podegi, Hmong, Onbuhimo and Mei Tai. Many people will refer to their MT as an ABC cause it is, but to say ABC doesn't always mean MT.

A MT is a rectangle of fabric with 4 sttraps coming off the corners (all different sizes, shapes, angles, etc). A podage and Hmong just have one top strap, the shape and size of the blanket is different. The Onbuhimo has the top straps but rings on the bottom. You can see all of these variations at the Freehand site www.freehandbaby.com
They are all worn in similar ways (meaning you can wear them on front and back etc.) but they are tied differently and their useage instructions will vary.

There are many "brands" of MT. Many of them do not have the name "mei tai" in their brand name (like Angelpack). There are some brands that do use the term mei tai after the brand name (like Freehand or Ellaroo Mei Tai). Then there are some who have Mei Tai as a prominent part of their name (like Mei Tai Baby Carriers). It can be a bit confusing.
They are all the same type of carrier, worn the same way, but with their own variations. One is not really any more of a mei tai then another, they are all just different. As for which is best . . . preferences vary on this.

You can see many mei tai reviews in the review section of TheBabyWearer www.thebabywearer.com Most are listed in the Soft Carrier section but there are some in the Traditional Carrier section as well.

HTH,

Kelley, wife to Charlie, SAHM to Xian (8) Piper (7) Arah (4) Ever (2) Thrace (5.09)
: : : : : EC:
Old 07-15-2005, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for helping this babywearing newbie out. Special thanks to EnterGently, your post helped a lot. Still wish I can see them IRL and in action in order to make a decision. Maybe I should consider importing slings into NZ for the home business my husband is always looking at starting....there are too many people selling cloth nappies in NZ now for me to get into that market.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:25 AM

Just FYI...............

No list of Mei Tais would be complete without mentioning the Kozy.

Just thought I'd say that because it hasn't been mentioned yet.

The Kozy was the first Mei Tai with (now standard) modernized features like padded and angled straps and is still one of the most sought after.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:13 PM

I have to second the recommendation for the Kozy! It is such a nice MT.

User Tag List