i hate my maya wrap! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 07-20-2005, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you seen these: http://www.miguelinspired.com/
It's a MT with buckles. People seem to really like them. I think an easier alternative is to just put a no-sew buckle onto the waist straps of your MT, but still tie the shoulder straps. That way it's a bit more streamlined, but you still have the versatility of doing the top straps different ways. I think you really give up a lot of versatility when you opt for buckles. That's pretty much true for any sling--the more gadgets you add to it, the more complicated and less versatile it becomes. The rings on ring slings are about as gadgety as I get, lol. I can't even stand adjustable pouches.
#32 of 45 Old 07-21-2005, 09:22 AM

nooooooooooooo..... She recommends a RS for a hip carry....what's a new sew buckle? What MTs have that or is that something that is custom? MTs are so beautiful...I might suprise myself if I can get something more streamlined.

sling hyena! :LOL
#33 of 45 Old 07-21-2005, 10:15 AM

It's just a buckle of this type that can be threaded onto the waist straps without having to be sewn on. I think you can find them at fabric stores usually.

I agree that a ring sling or pouch is quicker and easier for hip carries than anything else, especially if you have a toddler who will be up and down, or if you're running multiple errands and will be in and out of the car.
#34 of 45 Old 07-21-2005, 05:09 PM

She just weighs on me so much....like today running errands.
#35 of 45 Old 05-15-2006, 06:11 PM

Here's my 2 problems:

1. I have a ring sling (Maya) and a pouch (Hotsling) and an 8-week old. Whenever I put her in either sling, she immediately spits up a ton! How do I avoid this?

2. She doesn't care much for the cradle carry (grunts and can't breathe well). Today I tried the kangaroo carry with feet in, since she can't hold up her head for long periods yet. Either crossed in front or frogged to either side of me -- her feet seem SO uncomfortable!

Help!
#36 of 45 Old 05-15-2006, 06:22 PM

You could try a front carry in the hotsling (kind of like a modified cradle carry): http://hotslings.com/wearing/front.php

Or a tummy to tummy:
http://www.kangarookorner.com/images/dvdtttlarge.gif
#37 of 45 Old 05-17-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzberrymom
You could try a front carry in the hotsling (kind of like a modified cradle carry): http://hotslings.com/wearing/front.php
That's the one we do use, but she still spits up right away and fusses after about a half hour in the sling.

That's the same as the kangaroo or snuggle. Feet uncomfortable in front.
#38 of 45 Old 05-17-2006, 09:32 PM

I was another Maya Wrap hater. It just made me so mad! I ended up getting a Moby Wrap and a Summer Sling and love them both. I sold my Maya Wrap on eBay recently.
I had a feeling that it might work better when DS was older, but I just didn't even want to try it again. I think I'm going to try a Mei Tai next when DS gets to heavy for the Moby.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
#39 of 45 Old 05-19-2006, 04:38 PM

Another Maya hater here. I tried *everything* the previous posters mentioned, but the fabric kept slipping, and the rings would slide down and dig into my breasts - ouch! It didn't matter where the rings started.

After 3 months of fighting with the Maya, I sold it and bought a Hotsling. It took me all of 5 minutes to figure it out and I LOVED it.

I don't think there is any sling that works for everyone. I think the Maya works well for some women (who love it) and terribly for others (who end up hating it). Neither camp can understand the other's point of view.

I'm so thankful I found the Hotsling. I was about to give up on baby-wearing since nothing worked. The more conventional carriers I had hurt me terribly too.

We've now moved onto A mei Tai which I'm loving as well.
#40 of 45 Old 05-19-2006, 10:25 PM

I'm a former Maya hater, turned Maya lover. It is hands down our go-to sling. When T was a nb I used a zolo, the learning curve was definitely gentler as the fabric is not as stretchy. That newborn phase is so full of anxiety I just had to know once I got him there, he would stay. My dh got the maya for him to use, he loved the fabric, and didn't use it at all. At about 3 mo we started using it and haven't stopped. Even since we got an ergo!
#41 of 45 Old 05-20-2006, 08:12 PM

taylor made sling.

My maya I had a hard time asjusting, but never had a problem with my taylor made. (plus the batik fabric was incredible and nice and light for my hot climate)

Tammy
#42 of 45 Old 05-22-2006, 01:55 AM

They have a great sale right now on a slight variation of their new, lightly-padded shoulder style! It is awesome, and there's no shoulder flap so you don't get the rail confusion a lot of people get with the original style. Check it out! http://www.mayawrap.com
The padding is in the shoulder only, so it's not bulky at all and does not interfere with adjusting the rails at all.
#43 of 45 Old 05-25-2006, 12:23 PM

I got my Maya with DS when he was a few mos old, spent a couple days practicing around the house, and loved it. Use it with DD now. She didn't like it as a newborn (I'm very big-busted) except when I carried her on the shoulder (name of the hold escapes me). Put it away for a couple months, took it out a couple of weeks ago, and now we're never without it.

Rachel
#44 of 45 Old 05-26-2006, 05:44 PM

Update: I gave up on the cradle and snuggle holds. I made up my own hold which has her sitting up in the sling with her head near the rings/shoulder portion and her feet stretched out to the side under my armpit. If I get it right, she can sit up and look around in the Maya. The Hotsling is more cramped, but it works too (I'm more confident with that sling). I am starting to like the adjustability of the rings though! Ivy can hold her head erect for a longer period now, so that has definitely helped too.

She still spits up when I put her in, though. Oh, well!
#45 of 45 Old 05-26-2006, 09:38 PM

I have heard a lot of people complain about the Maya wraps. The constantly adjusting the tail and the general discomfort. I've heard from those same mos that hot dog style fold is much better. Personally, I think the rings being so large on the MW is partly to blame for the difficulty.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page