Anyone EXCLUSIVELY babywear? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 118 Old 08-01-2005, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a lot of exclusively breastfed babies around here... And I know there are lots of baby wearing junkies around here who have a closet full of slings and kozys and ergos...

Anybody exclusively babywear? Anyone here not own a stroller or baby bucket (car seat carrier) throughout their child's baby/toddler hood? Or own but not use them ever?

My DS is 13 months. We never owned a baby bucket. We have a small unbrella stroller that I have used maybe 3 times (once to put baby down for 15 minutes while getting a pap smear... you get the idea :LOL )

We used a pouch from Day 1 and with several in between carriers we have graduated to an Ergo. We are exclusive baby wearers -- no stroller, no packnplay, no buckets, no regrets!

Anybody else?

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#2 of 118 Old 08-01-2005, 11:30 PM

I would consider myself a semi-exclusive BWr. I do own a stroller but have only used it like 5 times for unusual circumstances (and at the airport for a luggage carrier).

I also have a baby bucket carseat. During the rare time that DS fell asleep in the car (he usually screamed when he was an infant), I could carry him around in it so he wouldn't wake up. I have never used my pack-n-play -- but it might have been good when we went car camping this weekend. DS was trying to put rocks and pebbles in his mouth and he just didn't want to be in the Ergo.

So, I'm not sure if I qualify, but I'm sure a BWing junkie!
#3 of 118 Old 08-01-2005, 11:43 PM

Of course we use our stroller--what else am I supposed to carry our packages in when my arms are full of a baby? :LOL

Actually we do bw a lot, but I still get a fair amount of use from our jogging stroller. Ds and dh go jogging together a few times a week and I think they both enjoy it.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#4 of 118 Old 08-01-2005, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

I can't imagine jogging with a sling on! :LOL Just like I wasn't able to baby wear during a pap smear try as I may. These extreme circumstances happen...

I mean not EVER using a stroller or other devices for everyday stuff.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#5 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 12:02 AM

Well... I intend to be. It seems like even here, I find the attitude that I won't be able to ALWAYS wear him common. I'm not sure why not... Anyway, we have no baby buckets on our registry, only a sling, a moses basket, and an umbrella stroller (for when they're older-- like 2 or 3).
#6 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 12:26 AM

We never owned a bucket! I HATE those things... man, I am so sick of seeing sad little bucket babies. Everyone here carries their babies in buckets. All I can think is: Ride to the mall in the bucket, get pushed around the stores for two hours in the bucket, sit through a meal in the bucket, ride home in the bucket. Honestly, I wish they had never been invented. I notice a huge difference in babies who stay in their buckets and those who are worn. Babies in buckets have a duller, almost defeated look. Carrying a sleeping baby into the house in the bucket is one thing... but using it in place of your arms is another. Personally, I am not convinced of their safety as carseats anyway.

DD was exclusively worn for 12 months and then, lo and behold, she started wanting to ride in a stroller! I guess it was the novelty. Now I just give her a choice, she usually picks the sling but she really loves thos strollers at the mall that look like cars.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#7 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 12:33 AM

: Is a bucket at baby infant car seat? :

I own a stroller, it has been in my garage for the past 6 months.
I have never went out with dc in it.

I am 100% babywearing!
I take joy in wear my friends babies if they try the (if Im correct above) bucket. They are happy to allow me, then they do not have to "lug" : their baby around.
#8 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 12:33 AM

My dd was only spent one shopping trip in the bucket, it was a 15 minute quickie on Christmas Eve...she was asleep when we left the car (leave sleeping babies lie!! :LOL) and then she was so content that I didn't take her out of it for the 5 minutes she was awake. OTOH, I saw a lady with a sling and I was so jealous, I almost wished that she would wake up so I could sling her!!

Our stroller was a great thing to carry groceries on the bus, while the baby was in the sling of course...also to carry the bucket for when we took a cab home.

So yeah, except for that she is exclusively bw!!
#9 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Its funny - because we never owned a bucket (infant car seat carrier - we had a big convertible Britax from Day 1)

I have become a PRO at getting DS out of the car and into the sling and keeping him asleep.

And if he wakes, he wakes. Such is life.

#10 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 12:45 AM

DS is exclusively worn.

No containers.

And we have five kids.

It's fun.

But I will say, when you have more than one, and especially twins, like I do, a pack n play comes in handy if you desperately need a safe place to put the baby down for a few minutes....

So, be prepared!
#11 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 12:47 AM

I raised the first two in frame packs and maya wraps. Often carried them both in one sling when Orion was tiny. Isaac has been on my back in a wrap since day 6. You'll often find me carrying any combination of children on my body; rarely, all three. 4th of July weekend after the second night of carrying all three )about 100 pounds) I was seriously pondering whether to finally break down and buy a stroller ... but I haven't yet.

The midwife did tell me to bring the bucket in for my pap after Morgaine. Pap with Orion left him home with Dad briefly; fewer germs and it was only a 2 minute drive to the office. Haven't had a pap since Isaac.

I did keep a tiny bouncy seat for each that we used occasionally in the first 3 months around the house, and a high chair, but I'm not sure that's what you mean. I tried a stroller once with Morgaine and found it obnoxious on so many levels.

Kristi
#12 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 02:28 AM

We have only used a stroller on two or three occasions when ds has fallen asleep in his carseat. Also, we will bring the "bucket" into the house if he has fallen asleep in it bc of course we don't want to wake him!
Other than that, we are exclusive babywearers. Both Dh and me.
Isn't it the best thing in the world?
#13 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 03:41 AM

Kristi and I are pretty much identical on this one.

We don't own a stroller, no swings or other baby gadgets. The bucket doesn't leave the car and in 3 kids I have never taken it out of the car and into a public place (did take it in the house a few times though). I would rather wake my baby to put them in a sling.

We don't have a swing, crib, walker etc. or other stuff like that. The bouncy chair usually sits in the bathroom with then are tiny but with my 3rd kid I only used it for 1mo (when he was like 3mo) then put it away again.

It is amazing how much you are able to wear your baby and how easy it is when you have a variety of good slings and carriers to use!!

Kelley, wife to Charlie, SAHM to Xian (8) Piper (7) Arah (4) Ever (2) Thrace (5.09)
: : : : : EC:
#14 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena
I notice a huge difference in babies who stay in their buckets and those who are worn. Babies in buckets have a duller, almost defeated look.
I also exclusivley babywear and I've noticed the same thing about babies in buckets. People are always commenting on how alert my ds is and I tell them it is because I wear him in a mei tai.
#15 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 05:53 AM

We don't have a stroller or other "holding" things, but use a mini pack and play in the kitchen so she can sit and play with her toys. We don't have a stroller only because I am lazy and I spend WAY too much on slings/wraps/fabric.

I would like a stroller so I can try on clothes at the store, though. And now that I have AF how the heck do I change my pads with a baby on my front (not possible to always do back carries while out)? Aiming pee was ok before, but what about the possible mess with AF? This is a whole different ball game for me now.... I am at a total loss. What do I do, just stay at home for a week?
#16 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 07:42 AM

We exclusively babywear! Even in 100 degree heat in St. Augustine, FL. People kept asking if I was hot and I always had to answer no. One woman saw us at the beginning of the day around 10 am and then saw us at 7 o'clock at night and in amazement said "You're still going!!"

I live in Florida and the stroller is just stored away. I can't even remember the last time I used it!! I wish I saw more babywearers, too. Not many. In St. Augustine while on vacation, I didn't see a single one. So sad!

I have a wide range and vast collection - 3 wraps, 5 slings, a mei tai, 3 pouches, and I'm sure there's more. We even babywear in the pool - which everyone comments is so cool!
#17 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 09:32 AM

We had a baby bucket - but mainly so we could strap ds in away from the mosquitos that flood you when you get outside. They're bad enough that the fewer seconds the car door is open, the better. Don't have it now, ds has outgrown the height/weight requirements already. So it was a bit of a waste, but who knew.

We do own two strollers - one we used w/ dd when we had to walk around downtown all the time, and I wasn't comfortable wearing her in what we had then, across the busy streets. The other stroller dd *still* uses on occasion, when she gets tired. But ds has been in each of them maybe once or twice. Generally, he's carried when we're out.I don't know that we're at 100%, but I'd say it's over 90%. Or we just lay in bed together, in the afternoons.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#18 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena
I notice a huge difference in babies who stay in their buckets and those who are worn. Babies in buckets have a duller, almost defeated look.
I totally agree with that. From day 1 everyone always said how alert DS was.

There is this woman in our baby music class who leaves her dd strapped in the baby bucket during the music class!! Can you believe that?? The teacher took the baby out of the seat yesterday because she felt bad for her.

I'll tell ya, I don't know what some people are thinking. Even if you're not AP..take the baby out of the darn bucket! Especially for music class!!!
#19 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 10:17 AM

My 5month old has never known anything besides my carriers - oh, and the carseat of course, but that's ONLY when we are driving... We don't own a bouncer, jumping thing and not even a crib for that matter :LOL

I have a 2yo as well, and while I know some people wear two babies at once, it is just not feasible for us because it is just too heavy and cubersome. I bring a stroller along when I go out with both baby and toddler by myself.

Everyone has always commented at how unusually alert DS is. Another thing I noticed with him is that he is already VERY confident and won't scream if I put him down He just lays there laughing and trying to put his feet in his mouth :LOL It could also just be his personality of course
#20 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 01:38 PM

Our 5 1/2 month old has also known nothing but carriers--we don't own a stroller and she's only been in a car twice (we live in Europe so we can get everywhere we need by train and bus).

We're hoping to never buy a stroller. I'm surprised by the number of people who insist that we'll HAVE to buy one once she gets bigger.

We also get the "she's so alert" comment all the time--people always seem so surprised, like they've never seen a baby interacting with others before.
#21 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 01:39 PM

Ok, I have to say this. I wore my babies a lot, in and out of the house. My youngest came to work with me and spent 6-8 hours in ths sling a day, nursing, sleeping, and playing. I'm all about babywearing. But I also had, used, and L-O-V-E-D the bucket seat. None of my kids hit 20 lbs before a year, and I was sad to have to switch from the bucket when they finally did. I only kept them in it when they were asleep, but in no way do I think it harms a sleeping baby to be let alone when they are happily sleeping in the seat. My oldest child cried just about every moment that he wasn't nursing or sleeping, and one of the only ways he would happily fall asleep was in the car. If you think I had any intention of even risking waking him up to take him out of the seat, you are crazy.

My second was only 14 months when #3 was born (yes, I got pg 5 months PP, exclusively bf with no AF), and he was not even walking yet. When we went places like ped appointments, I would often put #2 on my hip in the sling, and leave sleeping #3 in her seat and strap it onto the handy little universal seat stroller (doesn't have it's own seat like a big travel system, it's just for holding the bucket) so I could manage the two of them plus my 4 yo ds on my own.

I agree that babies shouldn't be kept in buckets all the time, but my philosophy on child-rearing is that if they seem ok, they are ok. I wouldn't leave a crying baby in the bucket. But if you saw me when my baby happened to be asleep in the bucket, and my dh and I were enjoying a very rare and much-needed quiet lunch out, for example, would you assume I was some horrible mother who just lugged her baby around in the bucket all day? When in fact, I'm an avid babywearer and have taught and helped hundreds of parents to babywear? You just never know.

I am an API leader, and I believe whole-heartedly in AP. I'm also a mother of three babies who have all been totally different in temperment and need, and also a woman who has befriended many, many new mothers during the course of formerly owning an AP business. And what all that has taught me is that having babies is very hard for many of us. Especially the first one. The first year with the first baby is, IMHO, one of the hardest transitional periods any of us will ever experience. It turns your life upside down and changes everything. Marriages fail, meds are prescribed, internet addictions are born (lol). I do think than AP and especially babywearing can make a lot of that easier, but holding yourself to a checklist of rules most certainly will not. If never using a stroller works for you, that's great. But refusing to ever use a stroller, or bucket, or bouncy seat, or swing, or whatever just on the sheer principal that you are too good a mother for all that is, IMNSHO, just as bad as rigidly adhering to any other parenting philosophy.

"What doesn't bend, breaks." -Tao te Ching
#22 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 01:51 PM

Well, I never said to rigidly adhere to babywearing, I am not a proponent of dogma of any type. But I really believe buckets are as unnatural as formula. What's wrong with that? Yes... the first year of babyhood is very hard for nearly everyone but that doesn't change my opinion of babies in artifical holding devices.

Plus, I don't think anyone here said they judge people who leave their babies in the buckets for quick jaunts. I, personally, have no problem when a baby is in a bucket but is still engaged with the family or mom. I DO have a problem when I see the baby on the floor while the family eats, or the baby in the back of the grocery cart, or the baby in a bucket covered by a blanket. And of course, my all time favorites: Baby crying in bucket while mom shops and baby in bucket with propped bottle.

Maybe I am jaded because I live in the most mainstream place in the universe. I see another babywearer (not counting friends) maybe 3 times a year. More often I see babies on the floor facing the wall while mom and dad eat. Seriously, we just got back from a 30 minute trip for breakfast where I saw 3 babies in buckets. I have post-traumatic bucket syndrome.

#23 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 02:00 PM

I just felt like I needed to point out that comments like "I HATE those things... man, I am so sick of seeing sad little bucket babies." can come across as being judgemental, when in fact you may be seeing a baby in a buckt that is very rarely in there. I do understand the frustration of living in a very non-AP, mainstream place, and I did agree that buckets can be and often are misused and over-used. But as far as an "artificial holding device," to me it's just a Moses Basket that's not as pretty and can go in the car. That was how I used it (except not for the baby to intentioanlly sleep in, like at night. Although that works well for some reflux babies who need to be kept upright after night feedings).

I think I just have a fear that sometimes, in advocating for babies, we can lose sight of the fact that we don't always know what is going on with the mom, or that we might be seeing someone at the low point of a very difficult day. Babies' needs are very real and very important, especially the need for loving contact. I'm not refuting that in any way, and again, obviously I am a huge advocate of babywearing. I just think we sometimes need to extend a little lovingkindness in our minds when we see parents at less than optimal parenting moments, and not always assume that what we are seeing is totally representative of how they care for their baby the rest of the time.
#24 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 02:09 PM

Yeah, but you know... sometimes it's nice to have a place to vent when you really can't vent anywhere else because no one else understands. This being a babywearing advocacy forum I didn't think I needed to preface every statement with a non-judgemental prelude. Forget it, I'll just keep it to myself in the future.

#25 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 02:15 PM

Sheena, please don't be upset. I really did not mean to hurt your feelings, and I do see your point about needing a place to vent. I think I've just been sort of ruminating on the anti-bucket posts for a while, and finally decided to speak up. I didn't mean to make you feel like your opinion needed to be censored.
#26 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 02:20 PM

I have a question and while it seems to be somewhat on topic I'll ask it here. I'm relatively new to baby wearing. I wear my daughter almost all of the time at home and when we are out. But I never would have thought to not use a child safety seat when in a vehicle. Am I correct in understanding that many people don't use carseats? And I am by no means being judgemental. Just curious.
#27 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 02:25 PM

NO, it is NEVER ok not to have the baby in a carseat in the car. People are just saying they don't use the bucket-style seats outside of the car as a carrier seat. I don't think anyone here drives with their baby in a sling, as well they shouldn't.
#28 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo Honey
Sheena, please don't be upset. I really did not mean to hurt your feelings, and I do see your point about needing a place to vent. I think I've just been sort of ruminating on the anti-bucket posts for a while, and finally decided to speak up. I didn't mean to make you feel like your opinion needed to be censored.
Eh, it's me. I'm caustic and always have been and today I have PMS so I'm just being over sensitive. Sorry for snapping at you.

#29 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Original poster here back for some clarifications!

#1 OF COURSE we always keep the baby in the car seat when driving. There are manufacturers who make infant car seats that do not come out of the car -- no bucket. Like the Britax Marathon. We have had this convertible, non-bucket style seat since DS was born. That is why we never used a baby bucket. I looked at them in the store while I was preggo -- and they seemed hard to carry even empty. So I knew it wasn't for me.
Like I said - I have it down to an art, DS falls asleep in the car seat all the time and I can easily get him out and into the Ergo and he stays fast asleep.

#2 The post was not meant to be a criticism of those who use strollers and buckets -- I just wanted to hear from other swho have done without - se how they have faired?

Much of the reason we don't have the typical contraptions is because we live on a boat and don't have space. But having gone 13 months without now, I realize how they are not really "must haves" and how easily you can do without. If you never had it, you don't miss it!

This is not supposed to be a debate -- just a roll call and hey let's share experiences in baby wearing day in and day out!

#30 of 118 Old 08-02-2005, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyCrunchyMom
I have a question and while it seems to be somewhat on topic I'll ask it here. I'm relatively new to baby wearing. I wear my daughter almost all of the time at home and when we are out. But I never would have thought to not use a child safety seat when in a vehicle. Am I correct in understanding that many people don't use carseats? And I am by no means being judgemental. Just curious.
No, that's not what I meant. We used a convertible carseat, a Britax Roundabout... it doesn't have a bucket seat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page