Mothering Forum banner

Favorite way to wear your Babe

2K views 30 replies 30 participants last post by  emsstacey 
#1 ·
Hey ladies!
Soooo I got a maya ring sling prior to Makena being born, thinking we'd have it forever...I never bargened for Makena being a BIG OL BOY and me, at only 5'1 not being strong enough to carry a 4 month old.... it's time for a new way to wear the child
So, tell me, what is your favorite baby wearing device?
I'm thinkin something that he can be in front, on the hip, on the back....

What works for you??

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm very much enjoying the blanketless or convertable mei tai from Nine Acers. It's easy, front or back (alhtough at 4 mos probably only a proper backpack is safe for your fella - if he can hold his head up reliably). It's as comfy as the ergo for me (though I'm taller than you, but I'm not sure that matters), easy on off, a little strappy but not more than any other mei tai, cool in summer, and as warm as any other mei tai in winter/fall.

We do use the maya - but at 6 mos my boy is prolly smaller than your boy at 4 mos :LOL So what else, we do love backpacks. Kelty makes several, we just bought a phil and ted's escape, which has a zillion bells and whistles for about 170 (same as the high end Kelty and less than the high end tough traveler). They are GREAT for people who have tender backs or who have big babies. Also, babies love being way up high. Down side is that you do have to take the pack off to get to the baby (also true of back-wearing in general, like say, an ergo). Up side is you can use it around the house, shopping, or on the trail. It's easy in and out, and has pockets for stuff like diapes and clothes (and urp pads LOL!)

Good luck with that big ole babe!! Andy

#3 ·
Love love love the Ergo!!! So easy, so comfy. Can Get Stuff Done in it!! Kid loves it. Not as pretty as a Mei Tai but for me, easier, & it fits both me (5-3) & DP (6-3); he would never have used a Mei Tai.

If you get an Ergo, I think the easiest way to get your kid in on the back is to lay the carrier on a bed or sofa, lay baby on carrier, sit at bottom of carrier, fasten waist belt, slip arms through arm straps, and slowly sit up. Not included in their official directions, but I find it a lot easier & more secure.

#4 ·
Hi Lizzo,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't find the Maya wrap sling incredibly comfortable, I was beginning to think I was a total wimp. I probably am as DS is tiny tiny, but I'm little too -only 4ft 10, and I can't imagine slinging toddlers around in it like you see people doing!

I have a Wilkinet sling which I find more comfortable although DS is a little small for it and only his eyes peep out of the top! I'm in the UK so not sure if it's a UK brand.

#6 ·
DS is most happy in the New Native sling, for now. He has the easiest access to his boobie, in that one.
We also have a Baby Trekker (waaay too bulky for this hot summer, and DS hates it anyway) and a MEC framed backpack carrier (he's a little too small for it, just yet).

I have a few patterns that I'm planning on trying, including a Mei Tai carrier. I love the New Native, but I can see it being hard on my shoulder as he gets heavier. I'm already at the point where it makes me sore after a couple of hours, and he's only 2 months old. :p

#12 ·
You know, I never saw myself as a wrap person until I bought an ellaroo, a realllllly long one, on TBW FSOT board (sort of an impulse buy?) -- and I love it! I'm getting faster wrapping up ds in a front carry (facing in or out) and it is so comfy! I actually prefer the way an MT looks, but was surprised and happy about how comfortable the wrap is. Haven't mastered any back carries yet, will probably be invincible when that happens! Woo hoo!

I also still really like pouches.

#13 ·
dd was happiest in the new native sling until about 3-4 months, then we did the bjorn, and now at 9 mos we are very happy with the sutemi. i only used the hip carry and love how she holds on to me like a little koala on the mommy tree.
it's great for getting in and out of the car because it has straps and doesn't require re-wrapping.

#14 ·
I used a ring sling with my first two, but this guy never liked it and so we are in a Bjorn right now. He's a big boy though... at 7 mos he is over twenty pounds already. (I think he has a hollow leg where all the weight goes cause he's also my least roly poly baby) I want to try those big long wraps. They look comfy and I really want to master the back carry as well.

I have no problems carrying him everywhere, but I can't DO anything with him out front like that. My arms just don't reach that far in front of me and I keep bumping him into things.

#17 ·
Thanks sooo much, mamas! We decided the mei tei would be best...and I'm gonna buy the more hevay duty Ergo in a few weeks...or months, when I have more $$$.
Makena loved the sling, when he was a newborn and I still plan to use it when he sleeps, but the weight on the rings has really begun to do damage on my shoulders and back and if he's awake, what 4 months old is content laying in the sling with nothing to see? Plus, he always tries to lunge at people in the kangroo puch hold!!!

#19 ·
also love Mei Tei's...love them so much I am making them now like crazy....they are awesome...I got two from Robyn at Babyhawk she has the coolest fabrics!
I like to carry dd in the front carry as it is so cozy...and on my back to do chores at home....

#20 ·
<sulk> I don't have a mei tai and I WANT one!

:LOL

Since I don't have what I want, I'm making do with a homemade pouch sling, and right now, I love it. Ds is 3 mo, 17 plus pounds, and he just this week was able to be put in it forward facing. For some reason this is sooo much more comfortable for me than when he's facing inward. Just in time for our visit to the amusement park, too. When he was littler, I got back aches and shoulder pains, but since this new discovery, no problems at all! I'm beginning to think I'll hang on to this sling!

#21 ·
I'm always switching of between my mei tei from babyhawk.com and my hotsling from Hotslings.com. I use my mei tei for longer trips and my hotsling for quick trips or when I know that I will have to nurse. My dd is almost ten months old and does great in these carriers.

#22 ·
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my moby wrap. I just bought it a few weeks ago and I mastered it on my first try. It is very comfortable. I was out and about wearing my baby today for a good 3 hours and it didn't strain my back at all. He loves facing out. He was just kicking his legs and all smiles while he was facing out today. When he gets sleepy, I face him foward and he falls asleep within minutes. Like one of the other posters said, when I master a back carry, I'll be invincible.

I just love how snug he is and close to my body when I have him in the wrap. He feels so comfy and secure.

I must say, though, that the mei tais look like so much fun. I think that will be my next purchase.

#24 ·
I love them all! I love ringslings and the MW was my first sling love. With a newborn, I think a stretchy wrap, a ringsling, and maybe a stretchy pouch rule. For older babies in the hip carry, I still like the ringsling for easy switch to nursing. For toddlers in the hip carry, I love my Hotsling with leg padding. For back carries, I love wraps and Mei tais. It's all so good!

#25 ·
When my baby was a newborn a MamaKangaroo Wrap and a Hotsling Pouch - Just wonderful both of them!!

Now that he is 5 months old, a Didymos wrap
DS still likes the cradles carry in a HS as well, but he is so heavy that I am not very comfy wearing on a one shoulder carrier for too long.

I have 2 MTs on the way for easy back carries, so I can't say yet whether they will be just as loved as my Didy)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.