Is there a sling/wrap/carrier made for extreme mama comfort?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 08-10-2005, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for some type of carrier that will not pull on the muscles and nerves in the front of my shoulders(kinda going diagonally towards the breast). I've been having major problems with this area and started seeing a chiropractor but can no longer afford to do that so, is there something out there thats easy for this area? I also have back problems too, but, I'm willing to sacrifice for this! Saige is teething and is definitly higher needs right now,please help!
#2 of 22 Old 08-10-2005, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a weak back that easily becomes sore, and my best advice is to go for a carrier that has a firm waist strap so your hips can do most of the work, rather than your shoulders. Something like and Ergo, a Sutemi, or a Papatum.
#3 of 22 Old 08-10-2005, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Ty, I wanna check those, have any good linkie's??
#4 of 22 Old 08-10-2005, 07:19 PM

i love my ergo, sooo comfy for me and baby.

here's a link: http://store.attachedtobaby.com/sear...x?categoryid=7

also, have you considered a woven wrap? the didymos wraps are the most comfortable carriers i have.

link: http://www.childrensneeds.com/didymos_baby_slings_.html
#5 of 22 Old 08-10-2005, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Ty, buglette! I was just checking out a couple different sites and I do think the best for my sitution would be an Ergo! (now to just save the $$$ for one, :LOL
#6 of 22 Old 08-10-2005, 11:23 PM

I agree. An Ergo or a Patapum. I think I like the Patapum a little better, but they're pretty similar IMO. The Patapum has a bit wider waist band, I think. You know, though, if you're a bigger mama (I am not that big, like a size 16 and D cup bra), they won't fit that well. Neither of them will. I'd hate to see you spend the $$$ (because they're a lot) and then have it not fit.

A wrap is a good idea as an alternative.

Whatever you decide, try the swap boards first. You can pick something up sometimes for a good price if you keep your eyes open.

Good luck.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#7 of 22 Old 08-11-2005, 12:32 AM

My first thought would be a wrap like Mei Tai. Only because it will take the pressure off that area, but well, not be as hard to work with as some wraps can be, if your new at baby wearing!
#8 of 22 Old 08-12-2005, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Ty! Right now I have the Ultimate Baby Wrap, although it was great for me while she was smaller, now its really out of the question cause she's so active, grabbing, ripping, at me, I can't really put her on my back for that reason and cause it would be pulling on that region I mentioned earlier. Anniej-- I'm about a 16 and I'm an E cup which they are strongly headed south, so everything is pulling as it is, I will keep my eye open on the TP and on babywearer too!
#9 of 22 Old 08-12-2005, 01:12 AM

What about a podegi?

They are designed to wrap around your ummm.... trunk area... the part of your body below your armpits and above your waist.

peppermint.com sells two types a small blanket and a wide blanket.
#10 of 22 Old 08-12-2005, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagepixie
What about a podegi?

peppermint.com sells two types a small blanket and a wide blanket.

I could'nt find it,
#11 of 22 Old 08-12-2005, 02:45 AM

http://store.peppermint.com/ that will work for ya....we are also going to be offering these... (Can I say that?!)
#12 of 22 Old 08-12-2005, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Whoops! I meant that I did'nt see them on their site, but I'm sure I somehow over looked that one,lol!
#13 of 22 Old 08-12-2005, 12:11 PM

Hi, I just ordered an Ergo from the main site, they have a 30 day money back guarantee and free shipping. Yo can try it out and if you or your child does not acclimate to it they will refund your money. I felt much better with that offer as I am not tiny and my son is older so I wasn't sure he would go for it.

http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/carrier.html

HTH
#14 of 22 Old 08-12-2005, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thankyou, thats a cool offer! Just have no $$ means right now, Will have to wait...
#15 of 22 Old 08-19-2005, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

I just got my Patapum today! My mom was gracious enough to help me fund this!
I must say mama's, I took Saige out with this(backcarry) and I loved it! It was so weird not to have to sit down cause my back giving out. Dh refused to wear it convinced it would hurt his back! <men, grh> Anyways, I'm just getting used to the straps and all that, but, I really must say, I'm very pleased with the results!
#16 of 22 Old 08-19-2005, 06:41 PM

http://store.peppermint.com/podegi-baby-carrier.html

The picture shows it with straps over the shoulders but it can also be worn wrapped around the torso the traditional way. i really like the narrow-blanket ones.
#17 of 22 Old 08-20-2005, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz_Trio
(Can I say that?!)
no! (edit for me, please )
#18 of 22 Old 08-22-2005, 10:54 PM

I think a stretchy wrap would be your best bet. Honestly, the learning curve is no different than the buckling of a Bjorn, it's just a different kind of learning curve. It will take you a few tries but once you've got it, it's like heaven for comfort esp. w/a small babe. They're not my fave for many reasons, but for forgiving comfort they really are fabulous. They hug your shoulders, and when the extra fabric is wrapped round your waist they provide excellent support, and they distribute the weight so perfectly across your whole upper body ...

There are a ton of options out there for stretchy wraps, depending on your price range. I would not recommend the Ultimate Baby Wrap -- it has a ton of lycra and is just not as supportive as some of the better options. If you're on a budget, I'd suggest either buying 6 yards of 100% cotton jersey and cutting it lengthwise to about 22" - 27", no hemming or sewing required, or getting a Moby wrap, which are extremely inexpensive, and can often be had even less expensively on the FSOT boards, esp. at thebabywearer.com and the babywearingswap yahoo group, but occasionally on the FSOT board here as well. They're about $35 and there are tons of fabulous vendors who sell them. I found them to be too heavy, personally, when I tried one, but many love them and for the price you can't beat the comfort.

HTH ...

Kristi
#19 of 22 Old 08-23-2005, 08:01 PM

This site sells perviously returned Ergos for a bit less. The only downside is that you really have to be on top of checking for them to be in stock. I almost never see them available.

Also don't forget to Google 'Ergo sale' (no quotes). I got mine from some random other message board using those search terms and the lady sold it to me for $40!
#20 of 22 Old 08-25-2005, 03:08 PM

You can also check out local consignement shops, as they may also carry ergo's and the like. I know that the one I work at has one consigned now( is that ok to say?) That way if money's an option you can consider consigning some of the things your child has grown out of and use the money towards funding the carrier. Just a thought...
#21 of 22 Old 09-18-2005, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

ty! I'm trying to have patience with my Patapum, it does'nt seem do be actually fitting me correctly, I'm just under 5' 3, and the shoulder straps aren't fitting right, i"m broad shouldered to boot, so I kinda look like a football player with ill fitting gear
#22 of 22 Old 09-21-2005, 08:57 PM

I had that problem, my torso is just too short for constructed carriers. I love my mei tai and wrap, though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page