Tell me about Mei Tais - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-22-2005, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I loved my ring sling with my first. I felt very comfortable with it and used it for everything. I also got a hotsling pouch for when DS got older.

Now I am interested in branching out.

What are Mei Tais like? What are their benefits? Negatives? Do you use them for long term carry? or can they also be used for quick popping in and out?

What is their price range?

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2005, 04:40 PM

What are Mei Tais like?
- Its a square with four straps (two top and two bottom). It is easier to put on vs a wrap. It is more comfortable than a ring sling. However, it is not good to nurse a newborn or do lay down holds in. If you get the right carrier, it can be used from newborn to toddlerhood. The Kozy goes to 65 pounds.

I recommend ring slings for a quick pop in and out. I love mei tais and wraps for long carries. I do use my mei tai at the store when I was 9.5 months pregnant.

Range runs from www.mymeitaibaby.com for about 35 new to some of the upscale, fashionable fabrics for $100ish (freehands are especially nice in fancy fabrics). They midline price is about $55

www.kozycarrier.com has a good informational site. Sashis are nice, too. There are, actually, a ton of carriers that I think are great mei tais.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

I checked out Kozy carrier. They look awesome.

What is the difference between a Mei Tai and an Ergo in terms of support & distribution of weight? The Ergo has a thick, heavy hip belt that looks like it will carry much fo the baby's weight. How is the Mei Tai in this area?

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
An Ergo and a mei tai function similarly. Maybe others would disagree, but I think it is a matter of style preference. A mei tai will also support the baby's weight well when tied properly. The Ergo buckles, most mei tais tie; Ergo has a few fabric choices, tons of fabric choices with mei tais. I'm probably biased, but I prefer mei tais. However, functionally, I think the Ergo would work just as well.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo
What is the difference between a Mei Tai and an Ergo in terms of support & distribution of weight? The Ergo has a thick, heavy hip belt that looks like it will carry much fo the baby's weight. How is the Mei Tai in this area?
This is going to be a matter of differences in style between different MT designs. Some have more of a waist strap pad than others. It also depends on what kind of back carry you are tying.

User Tag List