making a wrap vs. buying one - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-03-2005, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
can anyone convince me to spend all of my birthday money on a wrap instead of making one. I love the Ellaroo and was almost convinced to pay $70, and yeah, the fabrics are beautiful. But, wow, I could make one for a fraction of the cost.

Are there any pros/cons either way??
#2 of 16 Old 11-04-2005, 04:31 AM

You can buy material at your local fabric store and make yourself a wrap that you can used to wear your baby. www.mamatoto.org has some good tips on what kind of material to look for.

Now, if you want the special woven fabric like Ellaroos have or nicer gauze (like that from Gypsy Mama), the cost of buying a new wrap will probably not be that much higher than making one yourself...
#3 of 16 Old 11-04-2005, 11:37 AM

I have three wraps, and I made all of them. I'm just cheap I can't seem to pay that much money for a strip of cloth. I know, special weave and yadda yadda. But to me over a hundred bucks for a didy, when I can find a comparable weave for a fraction of the cost, is just more then my cheapo self can do

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#4 of 16 Old 11-04-2005, 12:03 PM

Well, I am a Didy lover myself and I feel like I have to come for its defense

I too said "special weave yadda yadda" But then I tried a Didymos, and I had to bite my tongue I also just lend one of my Didymos to a "non-believer" and she is now a convert IME, while I found that a lot of cotton fabrics did a comparable job to a German woven wrap for a little while, they were just not as comfortable and supportive to wear for hours.

So I say: if you are able to save for a german woven wrap, it could be the best $$ you ever spent on your baby I truly believe that a good wrap could be the only baby equipment you may ever need: I have not needed to use a bassinet, playpen, bouncer, or even a stroller with this baby yet
#5 of 16 Old 11-04-2005, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
ITA. Most any fabric store has gauze for a buck or two a yard that'lll work nicely. I know heckmart has $1 a yard fabric. I found a bunch of gauze at a thrift store brand new for less than fourty cents a yard. That's gonna be my wrap
#6 of 16 Old 11-04-2005, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

hmmm, interesting ... I'm definitely not opposed to saving for the "real thing," but in the mean time ... should I go with just any material, or should I buy the woven type. Where can you buy that type of material ... JoAnn's??
#7 of 16 Old 11-04-2005, 03:49 PM

Gauze is the way to go if you are making a wrap yourself.
I posted a link below but did not say where specifically you could find info
Here is the link for which kind of fabric to buy and how to do it http://www.mamatoto.org/Default.aspx?tabid=148
#8 of 16 Old 11-04-2005, 03:53 PM

the ones I made are far inferior to the ones I bought! But why not have a few?
#9 of 16 Old 11-04-2005, 03:53 PM

the ones I made are far inferior to the ones I bought! But why not have a few?
#10 of 16 Old 11-05-2005, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama~bear
I love the Ellaroo and was almost convinced to pay $70
Buy it used! Then you don't just save money, it saves you the work of rinsing the extra dye out and of breaking it in to make it soft. Win-win.
#11 of 16 Old 11-07-2005, 12:28 AM

I made both my wraps myself. If you can find fabric you like make your own. A friend of mine bought a German wrap for the first baby and the fabric was too thick, and the wrap too short. I made her a gauze wrap that she thinks will work much betterfor the new baby. The other half is my new sling. It's stretchier than the wrap from an old sheet that I started with, but the gauze is nice too.
#12 of 16 Old 11-07-2005, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i0lanthe
Buy it used! Then you don't just save money, it saves you the work of rinsing the extra dye out and of breaking it in to make it soft. Win-win.
ITA! I have a new Ellaroo that I just never reach for because it is still a bit rough and the more used ones I've felt are just buttery and yummy soft.

At the same time, I am also in the same camp as Poliana. I really love Didys and I totally think they are worth the price. And for what it is worth, you can get those used on the TP or on FSOT at thebabywearer for a lot less than the retail price.
#13 of 16 Old 11-07-2005, 10:12 PM

I have about 4 weeks before baby gets here and I know I need a sling but I just can not seem to afford one and I worry about making one and it not being strong enough or coming undone or something.

I am 210 lbs, 5'4, and busty a cheap store baby backpackthing is not going to work for me. Any advice? I can not yet go to the TP so that is out.

-sigh-

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#14 of 16 Old 11-08-2005, 10:51 PM

Kontessa - where have you looked for slings? You can get them pretty cheap from Christy - http://www.christyscreations.com/cat...hp?category=33 or I know there are some other mamas who specifically make some for mamas who can't afford much. I'll try to remember the other sites... if I do I'll come back and post again.

To OP - check out the Trading Post and maybe grab one used? Then you get a better $ and you could still make yourself one. I'm planning to make one myself eventually. lol
#15 of 16 Old 11-11-2005, 02:57 AM

Thank you for the advice, I hope it helps a few of us. I am thinking about making my own now or having someone here make me a ring one and I make wrap one out of gauze when I can for a different kind of hold as I am not sure a ring one will be so great on my back, but I have heard it should not be a big deal.

Certainly will buy one of the fancy ones I am sure if this baby wearing things works out for us and we can afford it. I really think cash ishues will be getting better next year!

Blessings,
Kimmy

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#16 of 16 Old 11-11-2005, 03:33 AM

I almost gave up wrapping forever because of the Ellaroo - it HURT... everywhere... for both baby and me. My ds1 started crying whenever he saw the wrap (I NEVER tried it again after that.. the "no... ouch!" got to me )
With ds2 I have finally found the wrap love - but with a Storch.. I will NEVER try to make my own because I believe in the special weave.. really believe.
I also have a Hoppediz - great wrap, pretty cheap price (comparatively, of course)
www.childrensneeds.com has them, but I bet other places do too (and they come up FSOT occassionally)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page