Why don't more people babywear? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 11-22-2005, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,

I know for myself, I would like to wear my baby more often than I do. My son is now 8 weeks old and I've only worn him out on a few occassions, however, those few times have been wonderful.

Why haven't I babyworn more often? When I travel by car and am going to just "pick something up" at the store (i.e. I will be there less than 10 minutes) its easier just to haul him around in the car seat (or baby bucket as someone here called it). If I feel its too icey out and safety is an issue I take the stroller (unless the snow gets in the way). Also, with the dropping temperatures I really have to bundle the little guy up (even for car rides) and am left with bundles of little clothes to haul around with me once inside the mall.

If I'm going to be out for a long time and am taking the bus, I'll take the stroller. However I hate the fact that I displace 3 people on the bus with the monster. Once winter is over and he is not as floppy, I'll look into getting a smaller, umbrella-style stroller.

On the plus side...I'll never enter a fabric store without my sling in hand. I get tonnes of smiles and compliments when I wear my little guy in a sling or ABC out in public. A sling is a MUST in any environment where there are lots of people and few chairs (i.e. holiday parties)

Any suggestions as to how to sucessfuly wear baby during a Canadian winter??

Michele
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 41 Old 11-25-2005, 09:48 PM

I didn't babywear for long when my dd was a baby. After 7 months I threw my back out because of it and couldn't walk for 3 weeks. I couldn't stand up straight and had to live with my parents. I had a disc problem and I realize that I shouldn't have tried to use it.
#33 of 41 Old 11-25-2005, 11:23 PM

I think most people just dont know about it. And when they do, they may think all babywearing is Bjorns, Snuglis and "those hippies wearing slings" (to quote a family member!). I think more people would buy if they could see them and be taught how to correctly use the carriers, its hard to plunk down such a big chunk of change on something online, especially if you are not sure about how to use it or things like that. We need like tupperware parties or something equivillant!
#34 of 41 Old 11-26-2005, 12:38 AM

I get alot of positive comments when I am out and about using my sling. I can't go anywhere without it. I hear alot of comments "oh I wish they had those when my kids were babies.." I always want to say they did!!! But I just smile. One time I was at Busch Gardens and a teenage boy (working there) came over to me and told me how much he admired me for using my sling, turns out he just came back from a trip from Africa where slinging babies is a way of life and said he wished more parents used them here (meaning in the US). I was so happy to hear such great comments from a teenager.

As for why others don't use them, I agree with the other pps, I just don't think they know about them. Thank goodness for LLL!!!!

Tara--mama to Riley (9/01) Nolan (4/04) and Finnegan (11/08). Unschooling Rocks!!!
#35 of 41 Old 11-28-2005, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Any suggestions as to how to sucessfuly wear baby during a Canadian winter??
Get a big coat and sling baby under it. That's what I do. We don't have a car, so walk or bus everywhere. The only time I take the stroller is if we're going to WEM or have a bunch of stuff that would otherwise need to be carried. Ds2 likes kangaroo carry in a maya type sling, but that doesn't really work under a coat, so I use a wrap and tummy to tummy position when out. He loves it. Wore him for nearly 12 hours (minus nursing, eating and changing) one day last week.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#36 of 41 Old 12-04-2005, 03:28 AM

I know I don't wear my baby more because my first try was a Maya Wrap and after one month I still can't figure it out - DS doesn't like it. I then bought a Nojo since I am a Dr Sears fan and DS doesn't like that one, either, though I like it more than the Maya. I think I would benefit from some hands-on instruction.

I really wish I had the money to keep looking for something that works because I think it would make life easier!
#37 of 41 Old 12-05-2005, 08:07 PM

The more you wear, the more people who will wear. I learned about slings in '93 because I saw a guy at the grocery store with his baby and he very kindly answered my questions.

I walked around the grocery store pretending that my hood was a sling and seeing if I could "wear" the cans I was buying. (At age 13! )
#38 of 41 Old 12-05-2005, 11:37 PM

The only time i use a stroller is if im goimg on a power walk we have a double jogging stroller and 6 and 3 yr old ride in that while baby gets to ride in the baby wrap any other time the stroller gathers dust in the closet.
#39 of 41 Old 12-06-2005, 05:29 PM

I LOVE my sling (ok- slingS! Can you really have just one?!?!) but here are a few reasons people don't use them or people use strollers occasionally:

Disclaimer: I am SURE that there are people on this board who sling despite all these things, I'm just saying that for SOME people, these might be issues :

1. Baby weight and sling type. A really big baby or a toddler can get very heavy and put strain on shoulders and back. This can usually be fixed by sling adjustment or a different kind, but as others have said, there's not a lot of info in the mainstream about varieties of slings, and many of the more popular slings (like bjorn) are not super versatile.

2. Shopping ease. I admit, I stroller in the mall because of the basket under the stroller. I can toss coats, diaperbags, and purchases under there. If I wore a sling, I'd have to carry it all in addition to the baby. Too much!

3. Baby starts walking. Then they want in-out-in-out, up-down-up-down. The stroller is easier for frequent baby releases.

4. Weather. Somedays, slinging in the south in summer is just too dang hot .

Personally, I used my sling all the time when ds was an infant- I had him in a sling anywhere from strolling down the block to holidays in the synagogue to parties! If you don't have to worry about carrying baby paraphenalia, nothing beats the sling for babies- anytime, anywhere. But occasionally, we have found the stroller to be very helpful when babies/toddlers are no longer quite so easily portable or there is lots of junk to carry.
#40 of 41 Old 12-09-2005, 01:13 AM

I saw a woman at Target today who had a newborn in her arms, what looked like a 3 year old and what looked like an 18 month old. I wanted to run to my car, get my sling and give it to her!!!! She didn't seem to be having too much trouble but she was carrying the baby around the store in arms. I spent the rest of the time there wondering if there was a tactful way to approach her. Had her 3 year old not been giving her problems about what toy he wanted to buy, I might have struck up a conversation.
I love wearing my sling at quick places, like going into the bank, etc. I used to hate carrying the bucket, but now I *H*A*T*E* carrying the bucket. KWIM?? I don't even carry it inside anymore; since my daughter was brand new I was taking her out of it to bring her inside the house.
I also have a travel system and have used it exactly twice with the new baby. Once at the mall and once when I went to make copies at Staples. Both were mistakes and I learned quickly that a sling is easier. The only thing I miss is being able to put my cup in the stroller and also being able to shove bags into the bottom of it. Maybe we can invent a sling with a cup holder?? lol!!!
So I usually have a sling inside the car, and one in the house that I use when I take ds to the bus stop. I have a Maya that I keep in the car, then the other is an ultimate baby wrap. I'm about to either purchase or attempt to make a pouch so I can use it in the house. The UBW is nice but after not too long it loosens and sags (with me anyway). Plus I'd like something I don't have to adjust at all; something I can just throw on.
I just wish more people were doing it! I agree, the more we wear them, the more people will wear them. People ask me all the time about my sling.
My sister has a baby 10 days younger than mine; I want to get her a sling so bad! I don't know if she really wants one though. When we were at the mall not too long ago I put her son into mine to see how he'd like it and he did fine. Not sure if she's ready to convert yet though I have to admit as wonderful as it would be to walk beside my sister, both of us wearing slinged babies; I'd feel kinda dorky heheh!!!
Take care,
Karen
#41 of 41 Old 12-09-2005, 01:17 AM

I forgot!
Recently I took ds to the Smithsonian and we took the train. I wore the baby in the sling walking to the train station, while on the train and walking up to the museum. The umbrella stroller just rolled along folded up when we were going between trains or walking to the station. When we got there, I undid the umbrella stroller and put her into that. It was SO easy and I felt no qualms at all being alone with two kids. I felt all empowered and proud of myself and wanted to turn my nose at the big stroller people but suppressed the urge I saw one woman using her big stroller as a sheild so no one would see her nurse! I thought it was kind of ironic. But we've all been there; we learn with experience.
My baby likes the sling but gets antsy after about a half hour. I think the Maya Wrap might be doing some havoc on her legs which is another reason I want a pouch.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page