How often do you use a swing? stoller? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-14-2005, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are going to be registering in the next few months (our first is due in April), and I'm wondering how often any of you of have used a baby swing or stroller.

I just don't think we'd use either one all that often, especially early on. But if we might need it later, I do want to register for it. I'd rather get things we need then things we don't.

I just hate those big bulky strollers- the kind that the infant seats fit into first and then later you put the child directly into. It just seems impossible to navigate anywhere, and I always wonder why you would put such a teany child into such a huge contraption. But, later on, I could see using an umbrella stroller or something like that.

Any feedback or thoughts?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2005, 10:35 PM

First let me say I LOOOVE my sling !!!. I needed my boob, my sling and my cloth diapers everything else was sort of a waste. We used the swing (and crib) as a drying rack for the diapers. My dd is 17 months and we have used her stroller about 6 times. I use my sling alot. I also have a backpack carrier with an internal frame which I use a lot on hikes. If I could go back I wouldn't buy a swing. The stroller wasn't worth the purchase either. Hope that helps
Old 11-14-2005, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we used the swing daily (wouldn't go without one). all three of my children just loved to swing and swing. For my first 2 it was thier fvorite place to be. My third loved her stroller. we would have to make up places to go in it. Her first laugh came one day when she spied her stroller. We use a smallish bigger stroller It is bigger than an umbrella but has some padding, a firm back and it reclined. We used to do a rock and stroll fitness class and she just loved that thing. once it warmed up we went out and about as much as we could. she is almost three and we still use it a least once very other week.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 11-14-2005, 11:59 PM

Definitely register for a swing, or at least a vibrate-y chair, like we have for dd. It has been a lifesaver. Everyone needs a moment to place the baby down, and this is a perfect spot for her. And, especially for newborns, sometimes this is the only place thy will nap. My dd loves her little chair and, although I love slinging her, it's nice to have a place for her to chill out while mama gets some stuff done around the house (and gives her back a break!)

As far as the stroller goes, we've used it once in 8 weeks. It's even a nice compact one that her carseat fits into, but it's just too easy to throw her in the sling and go. I got a Premaxx that holds my wallet and cell phone, diaper, burp cloth, and baby...what more do you need?

I think we'll use a stroller a little more as she gets a bit older and we can get one of those umbrella types that's way more compact than the "system" we have...

HTH!
Old 11-15-2005, 03:35 AM

Save your friend's money (and some space) and skip the swing... ds1 hated it, I hated it, and I chunked it ASAP. I found that for us it made a lot more sense to have some really excellent slings/wraps/what-have-you, a convertible infant vibrating chair/toddler rocker and a smallish stroller. I babywear the vast majority of everyday (with both my toddler and my baby at once several times a week) and I found that the few times I need/want to place the baby down (like to use the restroom), I like being able to move our vibrating chair around whereever I am. The rest of the time my toddler uses it as a rocker. A stroller is useful IMO, but not worth anyone paying full price or using one of those big things (ours is a little more luxurious than an umbrella, but nothing too fancy) and I don't use it that often, but the few times I do, I am really thankful for it.
Babywearing has literally saved my ds1's health (he was in respiratory distress in the emergency room and slinging him lowered his skyrocketing heartrate, lowered his bloodpressure, raised his pulse ox and kept him out of ICU). Rather than swing your baby in a mechanical swing, why not wear your baby? The movement of your body will soothe, the sound of your heart reassure... Rather than put my baby down, I usually switch to a different position (on the back to cook, for instance). A good carrier in a proper position will allow you to wear your child all day without pain.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:27 AM

ds1 hated the swing and we never used it. I have twins now and they both like it ok, but if I only had 1 baby I would probably never use it. They sleep in it sometimes, they will not just sit there when they are awake. I don't know what kind of area you live in, but looking back I would have only bought a jogging stroller and skipped the regular stroller. Any time I took a stroller in someplace I always ended up slinging ds and the stroller held our stuff (which was kind of nice). We don't have sidewalks here and it is hilly so a jogging stroller is great for walks. I would get a vibrating seat, they are great for using the bathroom or taking a shower or for the baby to sleep in if they don't like to lay flat (my guys would not sleep flat for the first month or so and I had 2 of them so I could not just leave them a sling to sleep).
Old 11-16-2005, 01:54 AM

You and baby will need and love a sling. Skip the stroller. My ds hates his and would rather be in the sling. We've used the stroller 3 times and he is 3mo.
My swing is a life saver for my back. My ds will only take a nap in his swing or in the sling if i'm not napping with him. He is such a motion baby.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:01 AM

eh. every baby is different. I don't have a swing, but am glad I have the bouncy seat for when I need to cook with hot oil or take a shower or chop veggies or whatever. I personally use the stroller once in a while for times when I'm doing something that requires I carry tons of stuff because not only is it less weight on me, it's useful for storage. yes slings are MUCH more useful but the stroller can have it's place too. ie: we go out to eat in the city, have to park far far away from the restaurant, the baby is sleeping in her carseat. we can just take the carseat out, snap it into the stroller, walk to the restaurant and park it at our table. baby's still asleep! it's not a big deal if you really don't want it but I'm glad I have it.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
Old 11-16-2005, 08:21 PM

If you go for a stroller, we used a Baby Trend Snap n Go and loved it. It's just a metal frame that accepts any infant seat. It's really light and compact. Slinging is of course easier, but if dc is asleep in the infant seat it's great to have in the car trunk. Once he outgrew the infant seat we bought a rummage sale Graco and everyone hated it--he has to face away from me/dh and has to recline so all he can see is sky. How boring is that?! Now I wear him everywhere and it's sooo much better.

We liked our swing for the reasons everyone said--even the most devoted AP mama has to pee or shower sometime. It was good for a couple of months but he's over it now and won't stay in it very long--if we had it to do again I'd get a used one to save $$. Everyone said we *had* to have a bouncy seat and someone gave us one but ds has never liked it. On the other hand, he LOVES the Jumparoo--but you won't be able to use that for 4-5 months. We went to BRU and tried them all and picked the one he seemed most excited about.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:46 AM

We have a 3 yr. old ds and a 14 month old dd. We've never had a swing. A sling, however, has been a must. Both my kids are sling babies. We have a Chicco umbrella type stroller somewhere. I put dd in the Maya Wrap and ds in the Mei Tai, or now that I just received it, the ERGO. Then we are on our way!

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
Old 11-19-2005, 12:53 AM

We didn't get a swing until DD was about two months old and she hated it! We did have a storller as we bought it in a travel pack with our carseat. We did use it quite a bit at first. It was nice when I still learning how to use my sling. We moved back in September and it has been folded in the closet since about two weeks after we moved. I almost pulled it out the other night but DH said to just grab the sling since it was easier and she was happier in it anyways. I suppose we'll use it again someday but for now it gathers dust in our closet and we prefer it that way.

ETA: We no longer have the swing. It was left behind when we moved.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:59 AM

All 3 of my kids loved the swing. The stroller wasn't really necessary until they were about 4-6 mos old and liked to see everything, but I still used the sling sometimes. I used the sling mostly until they started walking, and even carried my then 4 year old dd home from the park in it. Very versatile.

So, the swing- you may or may not need- depends on the baby.

The stroller you probably won't need until later.

The sling- I'd find one you like and use it from day 1.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
Old 11-19-2005, 01:01 AM

Lots of different replies, because we all have lots of different babies! SAVE all the receipts, try it out, and if they are no spills and no ruining, return them if you baby doesn't like it!

My ds liked everything for a while.... vibrating seat, swing, and now at 12 months likes his stroller on nice days to take walks to the park.

Above all else his still loves his sling and nurse nurse!

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
Old 11-19-2005, 11:30 AM

I had a bouncy seat that I used with both of my kids when I had to put them somewhere - like when cooking or using the toilet or showering. Both kids hated the swing. But my best friend (very AP) swears by hers for both of her kids. As for strollers - I have found them to be necessary LATER in baby's life - like when you go to the mall or the fair. I usually sling the baby and stroll my 4yo or whatever bags we have. If I could go back - I would get one of those bouncy seats that converts into a rocking chair. I would have skipped the crappy strollers and bought a good one from the start.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:57 PM

My rundown of baby devices...

Swing - don't own one - they're nice but not necessary, IMO. Reese does like the one at the gym daycare and takes a nap in it every time he goes there. LOL

Bouncy seat - DH and I feel like this is the very best baby "thing" we have

Stroller - nearly never use it with Reese, occasionally used it with Griff. Usually it was used as a cart for packages at the mall, not to hold a kid. Ours is a "travel system" type. I have never had a need for an umbrella stroller bc the stroller is more of a cart than a kid carrier for us.

Doorway bouncer - we very rarely use it. It was a gift, and seeing how little it has been used, I wouldn't buy one myself.

Gymini - great toy, love it, we add our own toys to it all the time

Bumbo - nifty for floor-level play with your baby so you can face them while they sit up and you play with them.

Exersaucer - don't own one, Griff never played with one anywhere, but Reese likes the one at the gym daycare.

High chair - we got it when Griff was 7 mos old and used it until he was about 2. With Reese we started using it earlier, around 4 mos, so that he could sit in it and play while we ate breakfast or dinner. Lovely for freeing up a parent's hands to eat their own food, LOL. I also sometimes put Reese in it and wheel him around the kitchen while I clean or cook.

Baby carrier of some sort (sling, mei tai, wrap, etc)...MUST HAVE!!!!

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
Old 11-19-2005, 02:34 PM

Never had a swing. Didn't miss it.

Used the sling all the time. It was the place ds#2 slept the best as a newborn.

Never really used a bouncy seat. Actually, I never used anything that you can just put your baby in and leave them there. I personally didn't want to have something like that around and start to rely on it too much, leaving my babes in a some contraption when they should be in my arms. Maybe I wouldn't have done that anyway (the babes probably wouldn't have let me!) but I didn't want the temptation! Just me.

I would definitely register for the stroller. It's a lifesaver when you go for walks or into stores once that baby gets too heavy to carry comfortably. I didn't use the stroller much for the first few months . . . although I did use it more with ds#2. I'd often sling ds#2 and stroll ds#1 to keep everyone accounted for and happy. Once baby gets bigger, s/he may like being in the stroller rather than sling (mine did/do).

Jen, mom of R (9), T (7), C (5), and E (2) ... my stillheart.gifs

Old 11-20-2005, 12:30 AM

I have two kids so I use a stroller pretty often! (While babywearing! They take turns riding in it.) I don't own a swing but do have a bouncer chair (cheaper than swing) and an exersaucer (useful even if you limit to 20 minutes a day or something - 6mo DD loves it because it is rare and unusual ) I like them for a quick shower, hot meal (really hot soup & a front carry just don't work for me ) or cooking a stir-fry.. that kind of thing.. very handy for me, YMMV as always.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:42 AM

None of my kids liked the swing. To me the bouncy seat is great, because it doesn't take up a lot of space, can be easily moved from room to room, most babies love them, and even the Most Holy Martyr Mother among us will have to put the baby down every once in a while, and it's nice to have a safe place to do it that is comfy for the baby. I don't believe that my attachment to my child is so tenuous that a simple chair will tempt me to abandon her for hours on end, but that's just me.

On strollers, I think if you like to exercise outdoors, a jogger or other high-quality stroller is good to have. Even the best carrier or sling is not designed for jogging or power walks, KWIM? I also had one of the universal seatless strollers that the baby seat clicks onto, which was great because it folds completely flat and takes up very little space in the car. I did not like to move my kids when they were asleep because they were all three terrible sleepers, so if they were asleep I would keep them in the seat and use the little stroller thingy if we were out, and put them in the sling when they woke up.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:06 AM

When I registered I was told that you only really needed either a swing or a bouncer seat. I opted for the seat since it was less expensive and would take up less room in our small apartment.

My daughhter had other ideas, she never cared for the seat until she was a few months older and could really play with the toys on the toy bar. She loved motion and I carried her alot but there were times I couldn't carry her ( cooking, washing dishes, eating hot food) when I needed to put her down. She loved the swing but not all babies do. You may want to wait and see whether your baby is a swing baby or not

As for the stroller, I bought a universal car seat carrier which the other mamas have mentioned. Used it the same way, kept it in the car for when my daughter fell asleep in her car seat and we didn't want to move her. Other than that I use my baby carriers. My husband and I find it easier to carry our daughter. I did buy another stroller since my daughter is about to go into a convertible car seat ( after much prodding from my mother) I bought it in August and it is still sitting in my dining room unassembled. A total waste of money for me. just my 2 cents

HTH,
Melissa
Old 11-20-2005, 05:05 AM

We could definitely live without the stroller. Rarely use it. Slings or mei tai is so much easier for us when we're out.

But the swing my youngest and oldest LOVED. The middle one hated the swing. And the bouncy seat all three loved. I would definitely add those to my list.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:47 PM

We never had a swing for ds and I never missed it. It's something I won't buy for this baby either.

I had a bouncy seat - but I also had a high needs baby so that collected dust! But they are good to have and Imight get one for #2 depending on his/her personality and my dh's travel schedule. Can't have him hold the baby while I shower/cook if he's not here LOL!

Anyway - I got a great, small stroller - I have this aversion to car seats that come out of the car (baby buckets) - so I went with a Graco Citilite stroller - and for the first 18 months of ds's life DH used it (he's not into babywearing) when he had to take DS somewhere and I'd use it when I had too much to carry or was having a touched out day. Once you babywear - you'll come to dislike strolling - it's just so much less fun! But not having one is limiting if you want to try on clothes and you need a place to put the lil one, or a place for bags when you have too much to carry - and as babies get bigger they get heavy, and with teeth and long nights, sometimes you're just too tired to sling on a long walk.

I found all those things -bouncy, swing, exersaucer etc last for such a short amount of time but if people are going to buy them for you anyway - then keep the receipts and wait and see.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Everyone is going to have an opinion on this. My best advice is that if you think that you'll get everything you register for, go for both of them. PPs were right that every once in a while, a mommy needs some time in just her own skin. DD wouldn't sleep unless she was touching another human being. But DH and I found that, occaisionally, we could put her into the swing when she was sleepy and she'd DOZE contentedly while we showered, cuddled, or just peed without a slingin' baby. I am certainly not a proponent of leaving your kids to plastic soothers for large amounts of time, but sometimes momma needs five minutes, just five. And sometimes you have a child for whom the swing is IT.

As for the stroller...DH asked me when DD was about 8 weeks old why we never brought "that expensive stroller" that our friends got for us. I was a nanny before we had kids, and when I discovered the sling w/DD, I realized how cumbersome the stroller really is. I told him this, but he insisted we bring the stroller on the next shopping trip to the mall. I said fine, but he pushed. DD hated it and ended up in the sling anyway, and DH ended up getting stuck behind the "slow walkers" in the mall. Never insisted on it again! That said, there are times when a more substantial stroller is really useful. Trips to the zoo when DC is bigger...airports...CHRISTMAS SHOPPING! Small, but bigger than umbrella, strollers are good for the basket in the bottom or even the seat. They are good for long trips when mommy can't carry everything, something's gotta give, and it isn't gonna be baby! The big honkers are useless, but the ones big enough for the infant car seat CAN be useful. Especially when you have two, and the toddler is too big for the sling (and you already have an infant slung anyway) and too small to walk far. Now you have "stuff" for TWO dc and the storage in the stroller is all of a sudden useful. Sooo...if you think you'll get everything, I'd register for both of them. If not, I'd skip the highchair for now and register for the stroller and swing. Highchairs can be gotten later. You could theoretically use the swing and stroller (christmas shopping...) right away. Good luck in your choices!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Old 11-23-2005, 10:32 PM
DBZ

I use my swing about once a day, but not every day. I use the stroller about once a week...maybe. I mainly use it as a place to keep all my junk when we go somewhere that's not shopping. I don't like umbrella strollers. They don't look comfy. Normal strollers are better for babies who are taking a nap.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

Old 11-23-2005, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'd say we used the swing daily for the first 3 months. This was the only way that I was able to get any kind of sleep. I never used the stroller. I had one but ended up getting rid of it.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 11-24-2005, 12:52 AM

My daughter's physical therapist said we shouldn't use things like swings for more than 20 minutes at a time 2 or 3 times a day (she said this applies to babies that are developmentally "normal" too, and she said walkers and exasaucers should never be used).

I'd say that's the max we use the swing. Many days it doesn't get used at all.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:52 AM

Oh, and we don't even have a stroller. We had one with dd1 and never used it, so we didn't bother this time.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:11 PM

This is definitely an individual baby thing.

My babies LOVED the swing for the first few months. I didn't buy either, and both are hand-me-downs from hand-me-downs. The bouncy seat annoyed my ds1. He wanted to be held or in the swing, or playing on the floor until he was cruising at 5 months. Then he wanted no part of the swing or bouncy seat... I expect that ds2 will follow right in ds1's footsteps with this, too.

The stroller... We got one because of dh's bad back, and knowing that when I give out from time to time, he won't be able to take him. But at this early age, dh still carries him instead. I'd get the ones that are a step up from an umbrella if I could go back and change things. I doubt we'll really use the stroller until he's old enough to support his own back, and quite a bit heavier, too.

I second the idea to keep receipts, check out what your baby likes and dislikes, if people do get you these things.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:23 PM

We have all 3: a swing, a bouncy chair, and a travel system. Ds loves his swing and bouncy but is using them less often now that he enjoys playing on the floor. I really only use the travel system if ds is asleep in his car seat when we get to wherever we're going. If he's awake I put him in a sling. All 3 have definately been worth having for us.

M.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

Old 11-26-2005, 05:43 PM

I wear my baby several hours a day, but I definately see the need for a swing, stroller and vibrating chair. I keep the swing in the kitchen, because that's where I spend the most time. I carry the vibrating chair to the bathroom when i shower or wherever else I may need it. I admit I haven't used the stroller but once for my five week old dd, but I like having it. I used a stroller so much for my first two I can't imagine not having one. However, I wasn't a babywearer back then, so who knows...maybe I won't need a stroller after all. But I do recommend the swing and chair.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:57 PM

do you have any mama friends that could let you borrow a swing, bouncy seat or even a stroller? that's what we did, and that way i didn't waste money on something ian didn't use. every baby is so different, and often times what you *think* you will do before the baby comes is different after they get here. if you don't have anyone to borrow from, go ahead and register for the items, and like the pp said just keep the receipts if you need to take them back.

User Tag List