How much does your baby weigh? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 11-24-2005, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just wondering how much can your back take? My ds spends hours on my back, I hate the stroller, it is so cumbersome. He is now 10 mos and weighs about 20 lbs. The thought of us out growing babywearing makes me sad and I was wondering how long can you go? I refer to back wearing because I can't have him on my front already.

p.s. wondering if any good winter wearing tip come to mind. I just wear him over my parka.
#2 of 26 Old 11-24-2005, 09:02 PM

Ds is 3 yrs. old and about 31 pounds. Dd is 14 mos. old and about 21 pounds. I routinely wear them both, including at the same time.

mandy

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#3 of 26 Old 11-25-2005, 02:58 PM

My DS is 5 months and 22 lbs.
He is a stout guy and very long and I wouldn't dream of not wearing him!
He loves it as much as I do!
He is worn in a Maya Wrap and an Ergo, both on front and back. Also, worn by DH...who also loves wearing him!!
#4 of 26 Old 11-25-2005, 03:19 PM

my son is19 lbs

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#5 of 26 Old 11-25-2005, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thirty pounds is about as much as my back can take. My 16 month old is about 20 pounds now.
#6 of 26 Old 11-25-2005, 03:57 PM

Jett is 11 months and about 22 lbs. We babywear almost all day, some days. That can get a little sore, but the normal on and off or in and out doesn't bother me at all.

I don't know how heavy I can go.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#7 of 26 Old 11-25-2005, 04:06 PM

Elijah is almost 10 months now and he weighs 22 lbs. We wear im every day in a pouch sling and it is fine. When we are working, he is in the hip carry. When he is taking his nap, he is in the cradle carry. I guess after a few hours my back starts to hurt, but it is a small price to pay to be so close to him!
Stacey
#8 of 26 Old 11-25-2005, 07:48 PM

My dd is 20 something pounds almost 13 months. I don't wear her as aoften as i used to. But I can wear her in my back or front comfortably for a few hours. Only in a mt or wrap. I've worns ds 30 something pounds for aboyt a 1/2 hour on my bsck in a mt.
#9 of 26 Old 11-25-2005, 10:35 PM

We are at 25lbs right now but i think i have let him walk more than being slung because after a while my back starts to hurt. (but i have a bad back)
#10 of 26 Old 11-26-2005, 12:29 AM

Ok so I wore ds#1 through out my pregnancy with ds#2. Riley was about 30lbs. Right now Nolan is 26 lbs 18 mos old and still lovin' the sling! Every now and then when Riley (4 Yrs) is needing some extra cuddling he'll say "hold you mama, in the sling a-bing-bing (our nickname for our sling)" and I enjoy it, of course not for too long, ones back can only take so much

Tara--mama to Riley (9/01) Nolan (4/04) and Finnegan (11/08). Unschooling Rocks!!!
#11 of 26 Old 11-26-2005, 01:00 AM

My youngest is 6 months and 24 pounds. He is in the sling all of the time.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#12 of 26 Old 11-26-2005, 01:38 AM

I was curious myself as I only use the hip hold now for my DS and he's about 27lbs @ 11 months.

We have a COLD trip planned to Europe in Jan-any suggestions on carring him without crippling myself would be appreciated! How do you get him on your back without droppin him!?!? Is there a site that shows how to do this?

Thanks !
-Nicole
#13 of 26 Old 11-26-2005, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelletta
I was curious myself as I only use the hip hold now for my DS and he's about 27lbs @ 11 months.

We have a COLD trip planned to Europe in Jan-any suggestions on carring him without crippling myself would be appreciated! How do you get him on your back without droppin him!?!? Is there a site that shows how to do this?

Thanks !
-Nicole
For what type of sling? If your using a mei-tai try these: http://www.kozycarrier.homestead.com/instructions.html

For a ring sling:http://zolowear.com/WearingToddler.aspx
http://zolowear.com/Images/Wearing/Videos/Back.wmv

For a pouch: http://www.goo-ga.com/ps-back

For a wrap:http://www.wearyourbaby.com/default.aspx?tabid=121

Or you can splurge for the tummy 2 tummy video! http://www.tummy2tummy.com/

hope that helps!
#14 of 26 Old 11-26-2005, 12:12 PM

I can wear my 23 pound 2 1/2 year old for about an hour without hurting, as long as I use a two-shoulder carrier. The hip carry in a ring sling is *okay* for quick trips to the store, but I feel achy fairly quickly.

Jenica - Blessed Mom to (12), (9), (6), : (2), and with a January surprise!
Missing precious Leo Malachi - m/c 7/06
#15 of 26 Old 11-26-2005, 06:41 PM

DS is 2 years 4 months and 30 pounds. I still use my Ergo, mainly back carry these days when we travel, are in an airport or going distances where we need to make "tracks" or in the mall or when he wants to nurse or sleep. Otherwise, he walks as he much prefers walking these past months to carrying and we just let him walk and explore most of the time even though it makes for long trips to the mall, store, etc. I can do the front carry for about an hour or so. Back much longer.
#16 of 26 Old 11-26-2005, 06:43 PM

ds is not quite 8 months and somewhere around 20 lbs. i wore dd until she was 3 1/2 and about 40 lbs. - and then i only stopped bc i was too pregnant to use the ergo waistbelt.
#17 of 26 Old 11-26-2005, 07:22 PM

My daughter is 2 and 22.5 lbs. I can still carry her in the ring sling for a good while, especially if I change positions regularly. I just use the ergo if I need both hands (for raking, lawnmowing, etc.). She still loves to ride on mama most of the time.

My son was a big one like most of the kiddos here, so I have had it both ways. He really wanted to walk most of the time by the time he started feeling too heavy for me (age 2, 32 lbs).

But one time I did wear him in the sling when he was 3 y.o. and 43 lbs, as he fell asleep in the car on the way to my daughter's doc. appt. I had him in the sling and the baby in her carseat carrier (she had fallen asleep, too). I felt pretty tough. Then I felt pretty broken.

L.
#18 of 26 Old 11-26-2005, 08:39 PM

DS was 10 lbs 3 oz at birth. So I got broke in quick! He was in a sling until he was about 35 pounds. That was at about 2 1/2 and then my back and hip couldn't manage it anymore.
DH carried him in a backpack until he was over 4.
#19 of 26 Old 11-26-2005, 09:45 PM

I still sling my 30 + pound toddlers.

So does dh. He likes the Ergos.

I like a Kozy or wrap for that age, but ring slings also work great for me for quick stops.

My baby, about 20 lbs, is still in a wrap much of the day.
#20 of 26 Old 11-27-2005, 03:07 PM

33 mos and 33 lbs. I use a Mei Tai and Onbuhimo for back carries.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#21 of 26 Old 11-27-2005, 07:23 PM

My dd#1 is 28 lb (will be 3 on Valentine's Day) and I wear her on my back in a mei tai.

Dd#2 is 20 lb (16 mo) and I wear her either in a mei tai on my back, an Ellaroo or Didy on my back or a ring sling on my hip. I can't stand wearing her on my front anymore. And the hip won't work much longer. I think she's already harrassing her brother and he's not even here yet.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#22 of 26 Old 11-28-2005, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dd is almost 10 months and around 23 pounds and I can carry her in almost any position. Her favorite is on my hip in both my pouches ( a hotsling and a homemade one) and my maya wrap. I am purchasing a mei tei and looking forward to wearing her on my back.

I can still wear my 32 pound almost 4 year old and did the other day when he brought me my pouch and asked to be worn on my back....I think he missed babywearing! I wore him for at least a half hour before I got tired.

I plan on wearing dd as long as she'll let me. I can't imagine not wearing her.

Remember that their growth slows down dramatically in the second half of their first year and the second year. My ds was 21 pounds at 1 year, 24 pounds at 2 years.

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#23 of 26 Old 11-28-2005, 04:05 AM

He's almost 6 months and I would have to guess that he weighs around 16 lbs. He's in the mei tai for long walks and in the pouch when I run errands. I have never had back pain but I do feel stress in the shoulder after he is in the pouch for awhile.

As far as winter goes, I just zip the baby up in my coat No sling needed.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#24 of 26 Old 11-28-2005, 05:13 AM

My baby is 3 months old and 17 lbs. I got my sling second hand, I'm not sure exactly what kind it is except that it has rings and seems to work great. I want to get a hotsling, anyways my baby seems to be getting too big for the cradle hold but is not quite ready I think for the next hold? "I'm not sure what I'm doing except that I love slings!
#25 of 26 Old 11-28-2005, 10:19 AM

My little guy is almost 6 months and 20lbs. I have a maya wrap, when he gets heavy I just make sure that everything is adjusted right, or switch position to place the weight differently.

Midwife & Mom to Gracen 9 luxlove.gif, Avery 6joy.gif Urijah 4superhero.gif Greta Sue, 9-9-10babyf.gifuc.jpg  Oh Baby! 1sttri.gif Due in April

#26 of 26 Old 11-30-2005, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccolilover
I was just wondering how much can your back take? My ds spends hours on my back, I hate the stroller, it is so cumbersome. He is now 10 mos and weighs about 20 lbs. The thought of us out growing babywearing makes me sad and I was wondering how long can you go? I refer to back wearing because I can't have him on my front already.

p.s. wondering if any good winter wearing tip come to mind. I just wear him over my parka.
I haven't read the replies yet, but my baby is 6 months old today and weighs just shy of 24 pounds. I only have a Maya Wrap sling but it's not very comfortable for long. With him being as young as he is, a hip carry isn't very doable, and the front carries just wear me out (but I do it anyway when necessary, like at church). I'm researching a 2 shoulder back carrier like a mei tai, which is why I'm checking out this forum for the first time!

I live in a temperate climate (well, at least in the winter! It's finally cool here, in just the last week or so!) so i don't really have to worry about a heavy coat. Sorry I can't help in that department!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page