HELP! First pregnancy and need a good first time sling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-13-2006, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, after doing some more book reading it suddenly dawned on me that there's going to be times the baby just wants to be close to me...and it won't matter if I have other things that need to get done, that baby is gonna want his mommy (or she, dunno yet).

Any of you ladies have recommendations for good first-time slings? The one thing that has made me not look at any were the fact that I imagined them all having to be tied rather than something I can just slip on...but I would prefer something I can slip on real fast instead of my brain telling me it needs to be readjusted 12 times (I was like this with my shoes even as a kid, my mom would have to tie and re-tie my shoes a million times before I was off to school).

Anyway, any recommendations would be GREAT. (Preferably somewhat inexpensive, as I am getting ready to move, but I'd prefer to get it now...or should I? Japan is supposed to be a largely AP society isn't it?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2006, 06:57 PM

I'd just get a good ring sling with metal rings and a big pocket. Check out thebabywearer.com's FSOT board and you can get some good deals.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
Old 01-13-2006, 08:27 PM

I saw babes in slings in Tokyo. Your money may go farther here based on the exchange rate though. If you will be near Tokyo, check out this group: http://www.blueskytokyo.com/

I'm trying to answer this sling question for myself for my first baby as well. I've gotten great ideas from the Babywearing boards here, but I haven't made up my mind. I'm thinking of starting with a moby wrap, but a friend is also offering me a ring sling she's done with.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:27 PM

Definitely an unpadded sling like the Maya Wrap style (but there are tons of other places to get an unpadded sling, it doesn't have to be that brand - I make my own rather than buying one). I personally love the adjustability of rings - and it's not something you neccessarily have to adjust every time you put it on, you can get it where you want it and then just slip it on and slip the baby into it. But there are also slings without rings, like the New Native, where there is nothing to open or adjust at all.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies. I've decided I like the Maya Wrap from doing a bit of searching on my own while waiting for replies, but they just seem very pricey to me. I mean...I love not having to figure out how to sew it right and all that...but I didn't think I'd be paying $60-$90 for a bit of cloth and some rings...if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I'm gonna check out Ebay and see if I can find some recycled ones that a mama no longer needs.

*Edit* Just wanted to also add that at the current exchange rate I'd probably be spending less in Japan due to their Yen being worth less than our dollar.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:40 PM

This is my second child but my first time with a sling. I was told by many people to pick a simple one to use. I went with a pouch sling from www.lucky-baby.com We'll see how fast I adapt to it. My little one will be here in just a few weeks.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:27 PM

the best, best sling ever is a pouch, by hotslings!!! i just adore mine!! and i got it online at www.hotslings.com for only $33 and that included shipping! there's no opening so nothing to adjust. kinda like a maya wrap, but so much less expensive! plus they have some really cute fabrics! i got mine on clearance, but they're usually around $40, so still cheaper than a maya. and the other great thing about this sling is you can use it for a long while. newborn to 35 pounds. i use it for my 19mos now and plan to use it for my newborn in june! good luck sling hunting!
Old 01-14-2006, 02:27 PM

I don't know about any of you, but I've decided to try and stick with slings that balance the weight between both shoulders. My back is pretty lame, and I've had issues with heavy bags worn on one shoulder, etc.

I'm expecting my first on 4/20/06, and I'm going to get a moby wrap and a mei tei from www.babyhawk.com

I just don't think my shoulders/back can take a one sided sling.
XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:34 PM
Kam

Hey Eileen,
The yen is always worth less than the dollar, but don't let that fool you! Get your baby stuff (except cloth diaper covers and kimonos and sleep sacks--they're great in Japan!) here before you go! Baby stuff is out-of-this-world expensive in Japan, in my experience, and often of very poor quality.

We used a Japanese ombu-himo when Meg was older, but I never saw any type of sling than NoJos in Japan, and they are definitely not the best one around (narrow and bulky).

If you're looking for something to balance the weight between your shoulders, lots of mamas recommend the Kozy Carrier or other mei tai (Satchi, etc). Might be something to look at. They are often on ebay used.

Good luck in your move! Japan doesn't have the activities for babies that we do (Kindermusik, etc), but they are so baby-friendly in general. And yes, they will love that you carry your baby. I think you will really enjoy having a baby there. I did!

warmly,
Kam, mamamama! to Meg, and one more due in March
Old 01-14-2006, 10:44 PM

No personal experience to report yet - but a good friend reallllly loves her New Native Baby Carrier (pouch) style. I've heard that ring slings are like caviar - you either love them or you hate them. I'm kind of put off by the high prices of a lot of them, especially if I - or the baby - doesn't like it.

One babywearing site I LOVE is wearyourbaby.com - it has great instructions with pictures on how to wear them, how to make them, categories by type, by babie's age, etc. A great resource.

Good luck! I'm the same boat as you. I'm trying to hit up all the baby resale places in the area, too, in hopes that I'll get a great used one.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Old 01-14-2006, 10:48 PM

I used a padded ring sling (Over the Shoulder Baby Holder) with my first and found it very easy to use. It's still dh's favorite. Got a Maya Wrap this time around and like it too, esp. for a newborn 'cause you can pull it so snug. Never got the hang of a mei tai.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:55 PM

I ordered one sling through Mamma's Milk, thanks to an industrious MDC mama who set up a co-op (thanks, curlyfry!). I haven't received it yet, but ordered it because it is adjustable between two sizes--so DH and I would BOTH be able to wear it.

I also plan on checking out the Maya Wrap--the LLL group I am hoping to visit next week has them for display & sale at their monthly meetings, so I will check one out there . . . fortunately you get a discount if you are an LLL member, and I was planning on joining anyway, so . . .

I also really like the Baby Bundler, which I got to try out at my infant massage instructor training earlier this year . . . it is the "wrap & tie" style instead of a slip-on sling, but seemed very comfortable and definitely supported baby's weight evenly instead of over one shoulder. I'm just not sure how easy it would be to nurse in one of those . . .
Old 01-15-2006, 04:54 PM

I REALLY reccommend the Kangeroo Korner Fleece Pouch. I work at pregnancy-early parenting store & this is by far our best selling baby carrier. It is VERY easy to use! Just go to www.kangerookorner.com.

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

Old 01-16-2006, 03:37 AM
Banned

My favorite slings for newborns are pouch style slings. I loved my Hotsling! http://www.hotslings.com/ I really thought it was the easiest to use and the most comfortable for the early months.

I also like mei-tai carriers for older babies http://www.meitaicarrier.com/ or http://www.kozycarrier.com
Old 01-16-2006, 03:52 AM

I searched and searched for the perfect sling and I first bought an Over the Shoulder Baby Holder and took it back two weeks later. DS was so lost in all the padding. I went to our local Mother baby center and they had the Rosado Sling there. Its not as popular on the web as the other ones but I think there's a website. I love it!!!! They're priced decently and DS fit perfectly. He's 9 months old now and we still use it and will use it probably until he's 4 years old. There's only a small amount of padding and thats good. Look into this one too! www.rosadosling.com
Old 01-16-2006, 04:55 AM

Hotslings, all the way. Stretch Cotton Pouch. I wore my DD in it every day for many, many months. Super simple and easy and so very comfortable.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:17 AM

You may want to check out your local baby consignment shops--I've seen several slings various styles from time to time. ---they were priced @ $10-15 depending on the style.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:35 PM

I was originally planning on buying a padded sling, the Heart to Heart, through LLL - but changed my mind because of all the comments I've read here. Seems that there are many benefits to getting one without padding. I have no experience with a sling though, so I'm just going by the reviews on this board!

Yesterday I purchased a brand new maya wrap on ebay, with instructional dvd, for $30 US plus shipping (which is only $5 if you're in the US). I thought that was very reasonable. It looks like she still has three left for sale, as well. The seller's name is hisnemisis, and there are still four days left on the listing.

Just thought I would let you know!

winn

Mama to DS 02/15/06, and DD born 08/31/09!
Old 01-16-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofmymindyo
*Edit* Just wanted to also add that at the current exchange rate I'd probably be spending less in Japan due to their Yen being worth less than our dollar.
\
Don't be mislead, you have to look at the purchase power not the conversion rate.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:47 PM

Ok, the MW is an awesome sling, but if "doesn't need to be adjusted" is one of your criteria, I can't understand why anyone would reccomend that (or any ring sling). And I say that even though I am a total MW and ring sling girl. It sounds to me like you need a pouch like Hotslings. Or maybe a MW pouch. It's adjustable, but only to make it bigger or larger before wearing (so different sized parents can wear it). Once it's on, you don't adjust it.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:11 PM

I think an unpadded ring sling is a good first sling. With a good shoulder they are comfy and easy. There are lot sof places that make inexpensive yet high quality ones. www.sleepingbaby.net (SBP) for example makes great ones. If you can try finding a second hand sling. Theres a Babywearing FSOT board on Yahoo groups, a FSOT board at thebabywearer and FSOT board here that all usually have a variety of carriers available. Goodluck!

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:43 PM

i hear the ring slings work great, but im only 4'11" and the tail would be dragging on the ground on me!! thats why i like the pouch (hotslings) cuz there's not extra material. very streamlined.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudmama
I REALLY reccommend the Kangeroo Korner Fleece Pouch. I work at pregnancy-early parenting store & this is by far our best selling baby carrier. It is VERY easy to use! Just go to www.kangerookorner.com.
I second this. After all my problems getting started babywearing - this was our savior! It is abbreviated KKAFP, it is an adjustable pouch.

Good luck to you!
Old 01-16-2006, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2girlies
i hear the ring slings work great, but im only 4'11" and the tail would be dragging on the ground on me!! thats why i like the pouch (hotslings) cuz there's not extra material. very streamlined.
Many slings are sized so you can have a shorter tail. If you order from a WAHM they will size it down as well for you.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:53 PM

We love our Wise Woman Slings
(By way of disclosure Jeni is a dear friend and gave us our first sling when ds was born)
His dad has used it from about day 5 on and I have used it from about 10 weeks on - I just held him mostly until then.

It is sturdy, washable, and easily adjustable depending on who is carrying ds. It has held up to 17 months of constant use!

Happy Babywearing!!
Old 01-16-2006, 10:02 PM

I've been lurking for awhile, but never posted here... I just wanted to offer a quick warning about ebay... There are alot of WAHM carriers on ebay that are great, but just as many that are horrible!! :
I wasted a lot of $$ before I understood which ones were good. PLease check out the reviews on thebabywearer.com website before buying. If they aren't listed, I wouldn't take my chance on it as a first time slinging mom. An experienced BWer would know if it was bad, but you may not. Then you could have your baby in an unsafe carrier, or it may not wear right so you'll give up and quit wearing them..

Okay.. getting off of my soap box now. LOL

Good luck and Happy Babywearing!
Old 01-16-2006, 10:38 PM

If you are going to be in Japan with your baby there are lots of great things there too.
Like pp mentioned, the cloth diapers are wonderful, easily available and inexpensive.
There is a store called "AkaChan Honpo". It's Japan's version of Babies R Us, only better. It is THE place to buy baby goods at a reasonable price...I bought a lot of essentials there. Otherwise the other places (dept stores and boutiques) have absolutely gorgeous and high quality stuff but are quite expensive (except when they have sales).
The stuff at Aka Chan Honpo is pretty good quality too!
Also, in Japan the govt pays to have facilities for moms with their babes to go to. They're great. It's usually in some kind of public bldg (school or something) and they have a ton of toys and women there who just hang out and watch the children and chat with the moms. Definately a great place to go to meet other moms...they're called "kuminkan" and you should find them all over the place...
I like the Native Baby Carrier for when the baby is little. there is no adjusting, you just slip the baby in. And they have organic ones too.
but as the babe gets older I think the NBC will be too small.
I just ordered the Wise Woman Sling (I ordered a silk and hemp one, yummy!)
the prices are good too.
good luck..(I lived in Japan for 7 years so if you have any questions, ask)
Old 01-16-2006, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I went with a Kangaroo Korner adjustable fleece pouch for my first pregnancy, nobrainer sling, you just throw the baby in and go! I found ring slings trickier to get used to and use, for my second bebe she'll likely be in the ring sling, but now I know more of what I'm doing!
Old 01-16-2006, 11:42 PM

I've got a great sling - thin fabrics w/rings that can be pulled tightly keeping babe close - and know of two places that you can purchase them: www.kangarookidsonline.com sells slings in prints and solids AND one made just for wearing baby in the water.
www.sugarbums.com sells great quality slings as well for a great price AND ones made from SolarVeil, a fabric that blocks UVA & UVB rays with wicking props as well.
Both locations also sell slings for sibs' baby dolls/animals, and both are made by WAHMs!
Old 01-17-2006, 12:53 AM

I have LOTS of different slings and the Maya Wrap requires the most adjustment and fiddling of any of them. The steel rings are relatively heavy and the fabric constantly slips through the rings so I constantly have to readjust it. I've never had this problem with any of my other ring slings (TaylorMade, KangarooKorner, Moms In Mind, Wise Woman, Sachi, OTSBH).

For the simplest, non-fiddly, no-to-low learning curve baby carrier, I'd recommend a pouch -- either a Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch (www.kangarookorner.com) or a Hotslings (www.hotslings.com or www.carrymeaway.com (in NC)), or if you're going to breastfeed or would prefer a ring sling for some other reason then either a very lightly padded Ellaroo ring sling (www.carrymeaway.com (in NC)) or a Moms In Mind (www.momsinmind.com) ring sling. I think they're really nice, well functioning ring slings. There is a learning curve for ring slings; it took me quite awhile to figure out how to use it well. Ring slings need to be threaded through the rings properly, which isn't hard to do, but takes a little practice. Pouches can just be popped over your head and onto your shoulder.

It's a lot easier if someone can show you how to use a baby carrier in person, easier than online videos or printed instructions. I see that you, like me, live in North Carolina. If you're anywhere near the Triangle area, you might want to check out www.trianglebabywearers.com which is a free group that has a Yahoo forum http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trianglebabywearers/ and a forum at www.thebabywearer.com (you have to register for the site, but it's free). We just had a great NINO (baby carrier users http://www.nineinnineout.org/) meeting (free) where lots of people shared and got to try out lots of different baby carriers. Many people there would be happy to help you out. You could come to a meeting and try some carriers out in person before buying one.

Good luck!
Mary

User Tag List