Mothering Forum banner

how big was baby when you stopped slinging in cradle hold?

600 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Hazelnut 
#1 ·
We have a Kangaroo Korner fleece pouch that says babe can only go in cradle hold up to ~18 pounds (she doesn't give a length, but he is pretty crunched in there at 26" long). DS is almost 5 months and weighs 17lbs 10oz. I have trouble getting him in the sling in cradle hold but have him in it tonight and it is killing my back.

I like cradle hold because it helps him go to sleep when we are out and about or at meetings for work so I am kind of freaking out that I can't use it anymore! Plus he has major sleep issues making the need to facilitate naps while out even more important.

So, a couple of questions:
1) how big was your baby when you stopped using cradle hold with your sling/wrap and WHAT TYPE of sling/wrap did you have?

2) anyone else with a kangaroo korner fleece pouch use cradle hold beyond the 18lbs recommendation?

3) are there any types of holds that I am not aware of that might also facilitate a nap? The hip-carry and front carry don't work for napping with him, but I haven't yet tried the kangaroo carry for a nap since the cradle always worked when he was smaller.

Thanks!
Aubrie

See less See more
#6 ·
I used a PreMaxx Baby Bag, which worked perfectly for us using the cradle hold. I used ONLY that carry until ds was 5 months old, and could sit up. At that point he weighed 16 pounds and I really needed a two-shouldered carrier anyway, so we moved on to the Sutemi. Now we also use a wrap, and I am happy to report that ds will happily fall asleep in either the sutemi (front carry) or the wrap (in a fwcc), with his head resting against my chest and his arms down at his sides. (He is currently 8 months, 20 pounds, and 27 inches.)

I can also BF in either the wrap or the Sutemi, though it is not a totally hands-free proposition. Since my breasts sit low on my chest, inevitably I have to sort of prop them up manually so ds can reach the nipple from his upright and seated position. But the sleep thing works great!

#7 ·
DS is 3 mo & 15+ lbs & 26" I still use that hold in the pouch all the time! I PREFER something with a little less stretch though so it doesn't pull on my back as much. I have just found a NEW LOVE for hotsling!!! they have the perfect amt of stretch & are much more supportive then my other pouches.

Also, when my back is hurting I go for my MT's Kozy works the best for put naps because it is taller bodied & he can snuggle down into it. Some have head rests though too that you can put up to hold their heads too. I haven't tried them, but they are really popular!

Colibri

www.colibribaby.com

&
M.O.M tai
http://www.mom-designs.com/pages/MOMTaiFacts.php

Good luck!

#9 ·
Mine is 20 pounds an I use a cradle hold to get him to sleep with the Premaxx sling. His legs stick out a little, and I wondered if I'm "supposed" to, but I can't get him to sleep any other way. I figure as long as he's not complaining about the fit, he's OK. In the other nonadjustable sling I have, he can only sit up in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.