loved the new Mothering issue article on baby buckets - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2006, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I loved the intent of the article - to promote the use of soft carriers instead of carseats for transporting infants. I am totally on board with that sentiment.

However, and I find this with a lot of Mothering articles, why do they have to add in the stupidest reasons why car seats are bad for carrying a baby around in? Like the comment that you might trip over them? Come on! There are so many good reasons why throw in silly ones like that?? That just bothered me, especially because I wanted to send the article to a pregnant friend and I wish it was better written so as to be sure of convincing her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2006, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enudely
I didn't get a "bucket" because of all the AP stuff I'd read, and now I regret it! I just think it would be so convenient to be able to quickly swing into the store for something while dd is sleeping in the car seat! I also haven't really gotten the hang of any of the carriers yet (dd is only 1 month old), so maybe carrying her will get easier.
It will. I couldn't master the sling at first, so why not try a bjorn? Very user friendly, and ds loved it. You can pop 'em into it as you're walking into the store (which I'm now able to do with the sling).
Old 05-15-2006, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enudely
I didn't get a "bucket" because of all the AP stuff I'd read, and now I regret it! I just think it would be so convenient to be able to quickly swing into the store for something while dd is sleeping in the car seat! I also haven't really gotten the hang of any of the carriers yet (dd is only 1 month old), so maybe carrying her will get easier.
I had trouble with my sling at 1 month too. so I got a wrap. which I also had trouble with. now my baby is 3 months and I have mastered the fcc in the wrap, am working on the bsc, and can efficently pop her in and out of my rs and pouch (useually in a t2t position, its easier then any kind of laying down way). I can also nurse in all of my carriers now, something that I struggled with at first.

I got the dvd from tummy2tummy.com I think that really helped being able to watch video instructions and pause or backup as I needed to.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:12 AM

popping in to add - when my baby was new, he would stay asleep when i transferred him from the carseat to the sling. i NEVER carried the bucket with my second child. what a pain.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:29 PM

I loved that they had this article! I nanny and the little guy is in a sling almost all day. I sometimes will pop the carseat on a cart to grocery shopp, but honestly? It's easier when It's all of us (3yo, 5yo, 2.5 mo) to have him in the sling. I can leave the cart to grab a wandering child easier than if baby was in the the cart!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Old 05-16-2006, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama
There is no way I would ever have woken a sleeping baby by taking him out of the carseat once he'd fallen asleep. The ability to transfer them into the house without disturbing them, and then to be able to snooze on the couch myself, was priceless.
I really liked this article, too. I never had one of the infant carrier/carseats that you could remove. We used a convertible seat for both our girls. There were handful of times I wish I'd had a removable seat, but overall, it wasn't necessary.

I don't know how parents of more than one can haul one of those around, though. I don't think I could have survived without my wrap. Then I could hold my oldest's hand and baby was secure next to me. My back would be out of whack if I had to haul a carseat around!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
Old 05-16-2006, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't even have a baby bucket-style carseat. I opted to save my family some money and just bought a convertible car seat that stays in the car. If baby falls asleep I still pick him up and put him in the sling. Babies need and deserve to be held, awake or asleep.

User Tag List