loved the new Mothering issue article on baby buckets - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 05-07-2006, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Entitled "Car Seats Are For Cars." I totally agree. When I was pg with ds, I did a lot lot LOT of research on carseats, and the pros and cons of a convertible carseat versus a baby bucket (travel system). I have to say I am so glad we never got one of those travel systems. Health and bonding benefits for your baby aside, using a baby carrier is just a thousand times more CONVENIENT. My hands are free to do what I need, my baby is warm and close to me, and happy. Every time I see a baby screaming/crying in a baby seat in a stroller or shopping cart, I'm so tempted to tell that mom how much easier it would be to use a soft carrier.

Those carseats are HEAVY. I have carried friends' before, and my arm freaking HURT. When people commented on how "heavy" ds was when he was little to be carried around in the bjorn or sling or whatever, I always thought, "dude...that carseat weighs about 3x what my baby weighs...are you insane?"

Babywearing is great for mom and baby, of course, but if it's ever going to be a "mainstream" thing, people need to understand how much EASIER it is to do than lugging around one of those baby buckets.

Anyway, great article.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 37 Old 05-07-2006, 09:27 PM

I don't like seeing people lug around kids who are awake in them (although in the scheme of things, this is pretty low on the totem pole of what I get worked up about).

However, I do think the car seat has a place and serves a purpose (outside its intended one, that is). There is no way I would ever have woken a sleeping baby by taking him out of the carseat once he'd fallen asleep. The ability to transfer them into the house without disturbing them, and then to be able to snooze on the couch myself, was priceless.
#3 of 37 Old 05-08-2006, 02:01 PM

I agree that it would be great if babywearing would be more mainstream, but I also think that 'baby buckets' have their uses outside of being just a carseat.

I don't think anyone could pay me enough to wake my son when he's sleeping just to transfer him out of his carseat to a carrier. It is WAY easier to pop his seat into the stroller and off we go. I can tell you that for babies who are not all too happy about being woken up, this is a great option.

Also, for me personally, I have pretty limited options as to baby carriers. I have a Snuggli carrier that we use from time to time but Evan is uncomfy in it, so we don't use it for long outings. I live in a town where it's IMPOSSIBLE to find any other carriers, and I'm waiting for my next trip out to the next city to us so I can buy a wrap carrier. So for the time being, using the baby bucket sure beats carrying him in my arms when we go run errands.

The travel system is convenient and has some good uses. But it can also be abused - like everything, balance is key.

Working at home, tattoo'd, metalhead momma - homeschooling Evan (1.22.'06) and Abigail (8.2.'08) fencing.gif , and happy partner to Kyle jammin.gif . 
#4 of 37 Old 05-08-2006, 03:11 PM

: I wouldn't wake my son up for all the money in the world...plus...January? Iowa? Yeah...it's cold. I liked the little cover deal so I didn't have to put 3 layers on him just for the trip from the car to the wherever.

But I do agree, just as soon as we were inside he would out of the bucket an held, always.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#5 of 37 Old 05-08-2006, 04:58 PM

I agree with you Finch! I'm always surprised at how vehemently I've seen buckets defended here on motheringdotcommune, so it sure was good to see an article summarizing the research.
#6 of 37 Old 05-08-2006, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think buckets themselves are evil, but overusing them is prevalent. The article perfectly illustrates how overused they are.

As for not waking the baby, well, that was a factor we considered and decided that ds would adjust to being awakened as he was taken out of his carseat and eventually fall asleep in the carrier. Which he did. Car-napping ruins his naps anyway, so we try to avoid it unless we're going on a long trip. We're super cheap, and the thought of paying for a travel system and THEN paying for ANOTHER carseat when he outgrew the bucket was just too much for my thrifty little wallet to handle. LOL.

Anyhoo, I really liked the article. I was glad they addressed the issue.
#7 of 37 Old 05-08-2006, 09:40 PM

I also loved the article! It bugs me no end in places like my LLL meeting, fer crying out loud, to see these AWAKE and ALERT babies being rocked in their carseats!

I also have two kids who hated the car so much that they never napped in their seats anyway. And no way would they tolerate being in the bucket while awake. Good thing I only bought the cheapo snap-n-go - it only got used 3 times!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#8 of 37 Old 05-08-2006, 11:56 PM

Maybe a dumb ? but can we read the articles online?
I should just subscribe to the dang magazine, I can never find it anywhere in my hick town...I'd like to read it actually.

Working at home, tattoo'd, metalhead momma - homeschooling Evan (1.22.'06) and Abigail (8.2.'08) fencing.gif , and happy partner to Kyle jammin.gif . 
#9 of 37 Old 05-09-2006, 01:06 AM

my baby stays awake in her seat a lot anyway. but when she is tired I do hate to take her out of it. of course she useually will just fall asleep in the wrap in a min anyway so it works out. I think though that if the seat werent moving even if she were asleep she would wake up anyway. she needs to either be touching me or moving (or prefrably both) to sleep. I think she is a light sleeper too. and for me it would be annoying to take her out in the bucket, and then have her wake up 5 min later wanting to nurse and then be stuck with the bucket. So if I had one I would prolly only have her in it in the car and in the house if she was asleep when I got home.

EvansMomma-its easy enough to make a wrap. cheaper too. one of my favorites is just 5yds of crinkle cotton gauze I got at walmart from the $1 table. not to mention all the resources there are online. I got my rs from my midwives. everything else was either homemade or bought online.

I agree with you Quirky, its like the only time those babies leave the carseat is to bf! at least thats better then a lot of ff babies I've seen...
#10 of 37 Old 05-09-2006, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch
We're super cheap, and the thought of paying for a travel system and THEN paying for ANOTHER carseat when he outgrew the bucket was just too much for my thrifty little wallet to handle. LOL.
Especially when they outgrow it so fast! My DS is barely 2 months and we need to move him into the convertible seat already; he's too long and almost passing the weight limit already! The only reason we even have the infant seat is because the IL's insisted on getting it for us when we had DD. So, since they were paying, we said fine.

I have found it to be handy though because he sleeps so much better when we're out. I wear him most of the time, but it's nice to be able to leave him in it once in awhile (like if we're stopping to eat somewhere).
#11 of 37 Old 05-09-2006, 03:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama
I don't like seeing people lug around kids who are awake in them (although in the scheme of things, this is pretty low on the totem pole of what I get worked up about).

However, I do think the car seat has a place and serves a purpose (outside its intended one, that is). There is no way I would ever have woken a sleeping baby by taking him out of the carseat once he'd fallen asleep. The ability to transfer them into the house without disturbing them, and then to be able to snooze on the couch myself, was priceless.
I completely agree, or who wants to stand in the pouring rain while the take their baby in and out of the car seat? I have to do that now and it stinks

Quote:
Maybe a dumb ? but can we read the articles online?
I should just subscribe to the dang magazine,
I think you have to subscribe to read the articles. I did but cancelled it after I got my first mag, I wasn't too impressed with all the advertisments

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#12 of 37 Old 05-09-2006, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I have pretty limited options as to baby carriers. I have a Snuggli carrier that we use from time to time but Evan is uncomfy in it, so we don't use it for long outings. I live in a town where it's IMPOSSIBLE to find any other carriers, and I'm waiting for my next trip out to the next city to us so I can buy a wrap carrier.
The options here are pretty limited too. I have either made my carriers or bought them online. Many are made by WAH parents. To me it is worth it to support them in their quest to be home with their DC.
#13 of 37 Old 05-09-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afishwithabike
The options here are pretty limited too. I have either made my carriers or bought them online. Many are made by WAH parents. To me it is worth it to support them in their quest to be home with their DC.
yeah the lady I'm buying our wrap from, is a WAH mama who does in home consults to help you find the right carrier, and get used to using it...i'm pretty excited...i wanted to find a WAHM because i think also that its a good thing to support mamas who want to find a way to be at home while still earning a buck!

#14 of 37 Old 05-09-2006, 04:29 PM

My ds was born 10 and a half pounds, so within a few weeks carrying him + the bucket would have sent me to the chiropractor. I think that made me realize the nonsense of the whole system. I used it some with dd, who was smaller. But I didn't realize the whole separation issue then, I just did it because that's what everyone I knew did. Thanks to mags like mothering, I learned another way and now exclusively babywear when out.

Just to add another perspective on the sleeping baby in seat topic, I almost always transfer ds to me when he is asleep in the seat because I want him to be used to that. So far transfering works well. He opens one eye and goes right back out.
#15 of 37 Old 05-09-2006, 04:39 PM

I liked using my bucket carseat, ds ALWAYS fell asleep in the car..... and there was noooooo way I was going to wake him to transfer him to the sling for shopping etc, I loved the conveniance of carrying in it and putting it on the cart. I never had a travel system, I had/have a stroller, and put him IN the stroller, not the car seat on the stroller. I would carry him when he wanted to be held/carryed. There were many times I walked around the store with him in my arms and the bucket seat on the cart. Unfortunatly, hes never really liked his sling, and yes, I tryed more than one type and position. Hes slowly coming around to it now that he can sit on my hip and look around. Although its kind of uncomfortable for me now, since hes 23lbs and likes to be carried high lol. We use his stroller alot now, he loves it, he gets to sit up and look around....and eat the stroller (new habit).
#16 of 37 Old 05-09-2006, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

I have ordered every single one of my carriers (I have a maya wrap, an ergo, a backpack, and a bjorn) online. Cheaper, and I would never be able to find what I wanted in a store here. God bless the internet.
#17 of 37 Old 05-10-2006, 12:37 AM

I don't keep dd in her seat when she's awake, EXCEPT for one thing. when we go out to eat. in that case, it's been cool to have it b/c she's in a stage where she's too small (very small for her age) for the restaurant high chairs, and too big to hold while eating (reaches for everything constantly). so she's perfectly content to chill out in her carseat with a few toys while we eat.
also for when it's pouring rain, it's nice to snap her into the stroller and use the cover on the carseat + the cover on the stroller to completely shelter her from the rain. I'm not an umbrella person and it's always awkward trying to close my jacket around her to keep her warm & dry.

so yeah I'm still glad we got the travel system even though 95% of the time she goes from the seat to being worn.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#18 of 37 Old 05-10-2006, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzberrymom
I agree with you Finch! I'm always surprised at how vehemently I've seen buckets defended here on motheringdotcommune, so it sure was good to see an article summarizing the research.
ME TOO!!!

I never carried a bucket in an out of the car - I transfered my kids to a sling or just in arms sleeping, in pouring rain, freezing cold. It is possible. With babe in sling, they would fall back to sleep, be warm dry and cozy, and I had both hands free to tend to other kids, carry bags, etc. Much easier than a bucket , imo.
#19 of 37 Old 05-10-2006, 03:22 PM

I was glad to see that article too. When I was pregnant and paying a lot more attention to babies and the accoutrements, I was feeling very wary of those buckets. I thought they looked uncomfortable to hold and thought the babies looked lonely! Despite my misgivings, we had one given to us, and we used it (b/c we couldnt afford to buy a different carseat). And I never carried it around on its own, b/c damn that thing was heavy! Although, I will absolutely admit to transferring the carrier to a little snapin stroller when dd was sleeping occassionally, or bringing her in the house in it while she was sleeping.
I agree though, moderation is key, the item itself isnt evil, just the overuse of it. It seems that the standard is for babies in those things the majority of the time though. Poor things are probably just begging for a little skin to skin contact.
#20 of 37 Old 05-10-2006, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky
It bugs me no end in places like my LLL meeting, fer crying out loud, to see these AWAKE and ALERT babies being rocked in their carseats!
I agree with this! If your child is awake interact with it, so what if you are someplace where you need to be quiet and listen, you can still hold your baby and smile at it and whatever. Don't just rock it while it stares off in space. But I too loved my bucket for the times DD fell asleep in the car and I could just carry her wherever we were going and not wake her. Once she woke up though we took her out.
#21 of 37 Old 05-10-2006, 10:31 PM

I also thought it was a great article. We will be using an infant seat because I think they have a place and purpose. I'm sure we will use it to transfer DC inside and outside of our house esp if sleeping, but other than that we plan to sling. Slinging just has its conveniences.
#22 of 37 Old 05-11-2006, 12:40 AM

I do keep DS in the baby bucket for somethings. If he is sleeping, I will leave him in it. In the winter, I left him in the bucket w/ a bundle me when we went places. In restaurants he is next to me in a booth and I am interacting w/ him the entire time.

But most of the time I am wearing him and leave the bucket in the car. I love wearing him. I took our stroller to the zoo last week but ended up wearing him most of the time because I missed him! And he was a foot away in the stroller!
#23 of 37 Old 05-11-2006, 06:28 PM

"Every time I see a baby screaming/crying in a baby seat in a stroller or shopping cart, I'm so tempted to tell that mom how much easier it would be to use a soft carrier."
Finch-you should. I used to nanny for my sister and her youngest is very high needs. Sometimes she liked to be carried but often she cried anyway. If someone had told me about an easier way to carry her, I would have been grateful. Some people just don't know.

"Also, for me personally, I have pretty limited options as to baby carriers. I have a Snuggli carrier that we use from time to time but Evan is uncomfy in it, so we don't use it for long outings. I live in a town where it's IMPOSSIBLE to find any other carriers, and I'm waiting for my next trip out to the next city to us so I can buy a wrap carrier."

EvansMommy, if you can get to a fabric store and find some discount fabric, you can make yourself a wrap pretty easily and cheaply. That's what I had to do. If you find the right material, you don't even have to sew anything.
Look on Mamatoto.orgr for instructions. For me, it was a lifesaver.

I personally like my infant car seat for eating out. It gives them a clean place to sit while I eat. Dh and I would take turns holding her and when our food came, we could both eat. When she got big enough to sit in a highchair, we'd take a couple blankets to pack around her. We didn't leave her in it endlessly, but it was nice to be able to eat and talk tto dh without worrying about her hands getting into something hot. I also liked it for the shopping cart till she could sit up a little. The other thing I liked about the travel system was going back to church. Everyone thinks that since they're "family" they can touch all the newborns. We would put her in and close both covers while fellowshipping and then take her out and sling her during church then put her back when it was time to go. We did this till she was a couple months old. I felt like it kept the germs away since she was born in October and there seems to be more germs that time of year. People always assumed she was sleeping and didn't mess with her in there. I've had people reach into a sling (sometimes total strangers), touching my boob and mess with her. Even had one lady try to scoop her out and hold her. While she was asleep. But she much preferred tto ride on my back in a wrap till she decided her stroller was great fun, now it's walking. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

Jessica, mama to Emma, 7, Mattie, 5.5 and Lilly, 3 and someone new this Halloween-ish.

#24 of 37 Old 05-12-2006, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyofBirth
"Every time I see a baby screaming/crying in a baby seat in a stroller or shopping cart, I'm so tempted to tell that mom how much easier it would be to use a soft carrier."
Finch-you should. I used to nanny for my sister and her youngest is very high needs. Sometimes she liked to be carried but often she cried anyway. If someone had told me about an easier way to carry her, I would have been grateful. Some people just don't know.
You don't think that would be rude/pushy of me? I have people make comments and approach me a LOT when I have ds in the sling (positive comments always), so I talk to them about it when they ask, but I'd feel funny about going up to a random stranger.
#25 of 37 Old 05-12-2006, 02:27 PM

This has been the disagreement between one of the BTDT moms at church and me. She thinks I hold/wear DD too much. If DH brings the baby in the church or whereever we are in the bucket, this mom will argue with me about why I should leave her in the seat. This isn't even when DD is sleeping! She thinks I should leave her in there when she is awake!

I really only use the bucket when we go to a resturant since DD is so little she can't sit in a high chair yet and it is hard to hold her and eat....but when she is crying that is what happens anyway.
#26 of 37 Old 05-12-2006, 02:43 PM

nak

I LOVED the article as well we never use a car seat outside the car for either of the babies, I always found an alternate way to keep them safe (including at work) and when they were tired, they went to sleep in the sling/carrier or in someones arms and we were all happy and close my now 6 month old is probably our last, so i cherish all the extra cuddles i had and still get while holding my babes..... I shop alone with my 2 kids, eat out a few times a week (at least ) go on constant walks, meetings, etc...and love knowing the babies are up and out and a part of everything.

I never even bought an 'infant' seat, it seemed wasteful to me to purchase multiple seats when there is a safe convertible option....rather than one that was to be disposed of after a few months.
#27 of 37 Old 05-12-2006, 03:08 PM

I didn't get a "bucket" because of all the AP stuff I'd read, and now I regret it! I just think it would be so convenient to be able to quickly swing into the store for something while dd is sleeping in the car seat! I also haven't really gotten the hang of any of the carriers yet (dd is only 1 month old), so maybe carrying her will get easier.

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#28 of 37 Old 05-12-2006, 09:18 PM

Finch, I think whether it is rude or pushy is not in the fact that you are doing it. It's in how you do it. I've found the best way is anecdotal (is that a word?) Like I say, oh poor baby and then ttell the mom about my sister's baby and how I wish I had known then what I know now about carriers and ask her if she knew about different options for carrying her baby. If they're not interested, they'll say so and you can just say ok have a nice day or something similarly friendly. If you don't have that experience, you could say something like my baby is so much happier in the sling. Just try not to imply that it's something they're doing wrong. Like don't say anything like you should try carrrying the baby. It's better to put it on the baby. A mom of an oft-screraming infant is probably already wondering what kind of terrible parentt she is that she can't get her baby to stop crying. I got to be this way witht my niece and often cried along with her.

Jessica, mama to Emma, 7, Mattie, 5.5 and Lilly, 3 and someone new this Halloween-ish.

#29 of 37 Old 05-13-2006, 09:15 PM

I absolutely defend the buckets when they have their (limited) use. Stuffing a big, bundled baby into an ergo on a freezing day when he had just outgrown his baby seat was a huge pain. That said, it really pains me to see so many babies in carseats getting pushed around in shopping carts, crying half the time. It's the easiest stage to sling them, too. I also hate to see babies sitting in them alone in a room, with no one near them. It drives me bananas, actually.
#30 of 37 Old 05-13-2006, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch
Every time I see a baby screaming/crying in a baby seat in a stroller or shopping cart, I'm so tempted to tell that mom how much easier it would be to use a soft carrier.

Ya know? I've never thought of this. But, you are right. I have NEVER seen an infant in walmart crying in a carrier. But, I see them screaming their tiny lungs out in their stroller/carseat all the time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page