Hotsling or Peanut Shell?-- New to Babywearing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-17-2006, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
I'm 8 mos pregnant with my first and am shopping for a sling. I have decided to start with just a basic pouch sling. Is there much of a difference between hotslings and peanut shells? Does anyone have any thoughts on stretch fabric vs. non stretch, and whether a reversible is a good idea?
Finally, any opinions on patterns?
Thanks!
#2 of 16 Old 05-18-2006, 12:30 AM

Hotsling was my very first babywearing purchase. I really like Hotsling because the customer service is amazing. I cannot even count how many times I returned and exchanged pouches to get the perfect fit -- they were so understanding and worked with me. I have heard that stretch is nice for newborns, but I loved my hemp and my sateen HS. I now have a jersey stretch PS for my 6 month old, it is nice but I have no regrets with starting with HS -- and great customer service is worth it.

I know you don't ask, but many babywearers often say that the Moby wrap (which is stretchy) is a great newborn babycarrier. Good luck!
#3 of 16 Old 05-19-2006, 10:15 AM

I'd like to know about peanut shells as well. I personally really prefer the stretch, because I just find it easier to get big babies in it.
I'm not all that big on the HS customer service though- I mean it wasn't bad. But it says there's a $5 restocking fee for returns, in addition to of course not being refunded for the cost of shipping. I noticed there's a bunch new on ebay from a specific seller- they're not much cheaper, but a few bucks off in some instances, IIRC. Also they had some patterns in sizes that were out of stock on the HS website.
#4 of 16 Old 05-19-2006, 03:43 PM

We LOVED our Hotsling. We had the stretch cotton. It is not really that stretchy at all, but has just enough "give' to get baby in nicely.

I wish I could still use it now, but DD is just too heavy for me to carry on one shoulder anymore.
#5 of 16 Old 05-19-2006, 03:50 PM

I have a hemp hotsling and I LOVE it. I can't speak for the Peanut shell becuase that is not where my experiences lie.
#6 of 16 Old 05-19-2006, 03:53 PM

I have both hotslings and peanut shells and I love them for different reasons. I must say though that I find the PS a little more comfy & stretchy.
#7 of 16 Old 05-19-2006, 05:22 PM

Another hotsling lover here. I don't know anything about the PS, though.
#8 of 16 Old 05-19-2006, 05:42 PM

I don't own a HS "yet" but I have a jersey stretch PS that I LOVE. It has just the right amount of stretch and it fits me perfect. I have tried a pouch that was cotton stretch and it was just too stiff for me.

Have you thought about www.theslingset.com I would love one of these for a newborn.

Tiffany , mama to my 2 spirited girls, natalee (8/05) and scarlett (5/09)
#9 of 16 Old 05-20-2006, 01:41 AM

I own 6 Peanut Shells (I know, I know) and I cannot say enough good things about them. Have a couple of microfleeces, some cotton reversible pouches, and some jersey stretch. Love them all! I find them to have the best fit for me without having to do a shoulder flip. Plus, I love that I can email the owner Alicia at any time and get a super fast response.
#10 of 16 Old 05-20-2006, 03:17 PM

Howcome I can't find jersey knits on the website? Would microfleece be just as stretchy? Is it too hot for warm weather?
I just saw a pic of the CUTESt sling in the universe in the newspaper, and after reading this thread and checking out the ps website, I realized that's what it was- it's that flip polka dot pattern. It sounds like the reversibles are not as stretchy/comfy as the knit or fleece ones though, is that right? I have enough issues getting my long baby in the hip carry, so I need stretch. But boy I wish I had seen that polka dot number when I was pregnant--there would have been no restraining me.
#11 of 16 Old 05-20-2006, 05:17 PM

[QUOTE=Hazelnut]Howcome I can't find jersey knits on the website? Would microfleece be just as stretchy? Is it too hot for warm weather?QUOTE]

You are right, I didn't see jersey knits either?? It says that the micro-fleece is good for warm weather. I am DYING to buy the Zebra print one that says it's lightweight fleece?? And it's on sale!!!

Tiffany , mama to my 2 spirited girls, natalee (8/05) and scarlett (5/09)
#12 of 16 Old 05-23-2006, 12:04 AM

I personally love peanut shells. I have tried both hotsling and ps and ps wins by a landslide! I tried a couple of hs's, the stretch sateen and the hemp. I felt like they were too stiff and didnt have enough give to them.

I use the ps jersey stretch and its the one babywearing item I couldnt live without. Its so comfy! I used it for my dd as a newborn, and now at 6 months its still awsome, and she is a CHUNKY money

I find it to be supportive, even of bigger babies.

Proud mom of three!  Special needs teen princess wheelchair.gif , 7 year old happy girl modifiedartist.gif , and my flower toddlerhearts.gif

#13 of 16 Old 05-23-2006, 10:35 AM

I can't seem to find a jersey stretch one anywhere. Are the cotton stretch ones as good? What about microfleece? I have a little trouble getting my baby in the hs hip carry- though it was perfect for the kangaroo carry when he was younger- so I could do with a little more streeetch.
#14 of 16 Old 05-23-2006, 01:24 PM

I don't own a hotsling, but PS gets a from me! I really love mine. I have the solarveil one, and it's sooo comfy, and ds loves it too. Plus the pocket and ring on the outside of the pouch are really handy!
#15 of 16 Old 05-26-2006, 10:05 PM

I think the jersey ones are from last season - mine I got last summer. I think they have some new stuff coming out soon, hopefully more jersey is in there too!
#16 of 16 Old 05-27-2006, 09:12 PM

I just found a jersey one on sale at punkin pockets. She said they were talking about discontinuing them. Anyway it came today (I can't stop...) and I do love it. And it was easier to slip him in and out than with the HS.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page