Do people ever look at you strange when you are babywearing? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 07-15-2006, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
While trying out a wrap a few weeks ago we walked across the street to visit the neighbours who were out in the yard. They are an older Italian couple who really liked the wrap and didnt flinch when they saw me wearing the little guy.
Yesterday the Polish woman from across the other way came racing while I was watering the plants while wearing the mei tai. She informed me that babies spines arent strong enough to be carried like that. I was making a terrible mistake. She also told me that in the old country babies were only carried in arms or in a carriage. I didnt want to suffer the wrath of this neighbour (!!) so I didnt explain to her about how long the mei tai has been used, blah blah blah. I just smiled & nodded.
#32 of 43 Old 07-19-2006, 02:31 PM

I also wanted to add...that my other *favorite* comment is how people "wish that those kind of carriers were around when they had their babies"...I often want to say that families have been carrying babies around in wraps and slings for all time and so I'm sure that they had *those kinds of things* back in the day! (I know it wasn't as easy to find, but come on people.....)

SAHM to four beautiful babes :
#33 of 43 Old 07-19-2006, 10:35 PM

I just got back from a trip, and so had "my" baby in my pouch sling all around different airports and got tons of comments. I felt like such a great ambassador - my babe was so happy and so comfy (I think the sling is his favorite place in the world) - and everyone kept asking me where they could get one. Of course I also got the "I wish they were around when I had kids" comment. Really biting my tongue like the rest of you. Seriously, slings are not a new thing, but people seem to think of them as the new and improved version of the Baby Bjorn or other such backpack.

Oh, and I have to seriously thank all you mommas out there. I got several "oh, you must have your hands full comments" (also traveling with a three year old), and I just looked down at my empty hands (or maybe just my cell in one), and looked puzzled.
#34 of 43 Old 07-21-2006, 03:32 PM

I also feel like a Sling ambassador almost every time I wear DD on a sling!

Many times I'll be asked about where to get them, they're such a great idea, etc.

They'll also ask about getting tired holding DD in a sling, LOL! I just reply that I'd be holding her anyway, at least this way I have my arms free.

Only once was I stopped by a woman who said she'd never seen anyone else (other than herself) wearing a maya sling.
#35 of 43 Old 07-28-2006, 12:07 AM

I get rude comments all the time about my Hotsling. I always have check-out people make comments. Mostly they ignore me and "talk" to my dd. They say things like (in baby voice) "oh mom-I sure am squished in here", " Poor thing, where do your legs go?" and the most recent was a woman who asked me how old my dd is. I replied that she is 5 months (she is very petite). She said "oh, its time for your mama to let you out of there. She's keeping you all to herself!". I just ignore people. I figure they are jealous nobody id carrying them around.

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#36 of 43 Old 07-28-2006, 12:10 AM

I think it would be easier to count the times I have *not* gotten a strange look or comment.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#37 of 43 Old 07-28-2006, 12:16 AM

I always get people that look with interest, I don't remember anyone ever being rude about it though. Most of the time I get compliments or questions. The other day some guy asked me if it hurt my back carrying the baby like that (I had him in front in a wrap).

A couple weeks ago though we went to get ice cream and these two girls - probably about age nine or ten just stood there staring at me with this look of utter confusion when I was putting DS in his wrap.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#38 of 43 Old 07-28-2006, 11:34 AM

I thought I was going to get a strange comment the other day from another mama on the bus. I had dd in the mei tai and it was our first long outing in that carrier, so I guess I was anticipating something.

Turns out she just wanted to tell me... "Your baby has a booger on her nose!"

Babywearing or not, that is a strange comment!!!!
#39 of 43 Old 07-28-2006, 11:40 AM

DH used our Ergo for the first time today (on his back) at Home Depot He has never carried our DD, but I was thrilled that he would rather wear her than stick her in a cart. I gave him a quick training lesson this AM and I was impressed how quickly he "got it". It took me forever I just wish I was there to see him strutting around in HD with our sweet little dd on his back. I wonder what all the guys thought of that
#40 of 43 Old 07-28-2006, 11:43 AM

I haven't really got any comments. Once my husband was wearing dd in the sling. I took her for a few minutes and he was still wearing the sling, and some teens thought he was wearing a sash!

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#41 of 43 Old 07-28-2006, 11:45 AM

I've had people say of dd, newborn, in a pouch-"are you sure she can breathe??!?!?!?!?!!?" oh, like a MILLION times.

of ds in a pouch, turned slightly on the back of my hip, older, -"You're cutting off his circulation!" and "he's falling!he's falling!"

I also had a completely anal woman follow, yes, follow me around an Art and Wine festival and completely disturb peaceful ds who was on my back in my pouch(I am very experienced this way with ds, with a pouch.We used to do it to get him to sleep) and tell me how horrible I was that that was terrible for him, I was cutting off his circulation, his legs were spead to far, etc.

People can be downright rude.
Some young guy in Tj's actually asked me if"their legs spread that far?"

Um, yeah. They are spread, aren't they??!
For the record, ds goes around all day practicing the splits though, no joke.

I've had lots of other things said. The thing that tops the cake is the number of rude stares while carrying a toddler that apparently "can walk himself"

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#42 of 43 Old 07-28-2006, 12:19 PM

When ds2 was about 3 months old, 2 little old ladies walked up to me in wal-mart and just oooooh'd and ahhhhhh'd over my sling. One of them commented on how handy that would have been, she had 5 kids in 4 1/2 years (that blew me away!!!!!) They were both totally positive.

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
#43 of 43 Old 07-28-2006, 01:33 PM

on the topic of "wish I had those when my kids were growing up" our librarian was telling me the other day that when her ds was a baby (30 yrs ago) they had a sling that they wore him in. The dad was going to school then and would walk around a night with the baby in the sling while he was studying.
So definately not a new invention.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page