camping/light hiking with 2 year old- Ergo or good mei tai? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 07-13-2006, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're going camping with some hiking, and DS is 2 and approx 28 pounds.

Right now we have a summertime (mesh panel) mei tai from placidbaby (who I think is out of business now?), and it's been GREAT, but the mesh allows him to droop too much, and more importantly, the unpadded straps are killing my arms. I have broken blood vessels on the skin between shoulder and chest where the straps rest from wearing him for an hour yesterday, as DS is big and there's a lot of pressure being put on them. I don't like that!

Also, with him so big now, the unpadded straps bunch up under him, and he ends up telling him his legs hurt after awhile. I need something that will retain it's shape under his bum and legs.

Which brings me to my question. The Ergo and the babyhawk (I know other mei tais are just as good, but I have this thing that I want to buy from her, LOL) both go to 40 pounds (or more, if you can do it, I suppose) so that's equal.

But I wonder if anyone has both, or has used both, and could let me know pros and cons? How they feel? How a toddler likes each?

Both DS and I sweat a LOT, which scares me about having actual fabric instead of the mesh of the placid baby, but I have to get away from that mesh b/c it allows far too much stretch to happen. Obviously I wouldn't get the Minkee with a babyhawk. The ergo LOOKS like it has less fabric all over it, so it seems it might be less sweat-inducing?

Thoughts?

Thank you!!!
#2 of 22 Old 07-13-2006, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Or should we just invest in one of those framed babycarrying backpack sort of things you can get, like a Kelty or a Sherpani Rumba? That would probably make it less sweaty, but I know I've carried a baby in something like that ages ago and the bouncing b/c of the foot stirrup/rest things drove me MAD...
#3 of 22 Old 07-13-2006, 07:12 PM

I like the Ergo. Especially the "new generation" one is very comfortable. We carry our 28 pound DS in it everyday. It's hot and humid here and he's faired pretty well, there is a lot of airflow happening and he doesn't get too sweaty.
It's also MUCH easier to get in and out often (as toddlers tend to do) with the Ergo which is just a couple of clips as opposed to the MT which involved lots or wrapping and tying to get just right.

Just my 2 cents

Have fun.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#4 of 22 Old 07-13-2006, 09:10 PM

I'd go with the Ergo. Its a lot easier to deal with the up and down wants of a toddler and not have the straps get dirty, especially if you're hiking or camping. I have wraps, MTs and a NG Ergo, and I don't find the Ergo any more warm than a MT. Actually, Dd likes to lean back when she's in the Ergo, so that there's a little pocket of air between Dd and me.

A trick you can try too, to stay cool is to let Dc carry a plastic bottle of water, and have them tuck it between you and them. They think its neat to have a sip every so often, and the water keeps both of you cool.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#5 of 22 Old 07-13-2006, 09:23 PM

The Ergo has been a must on all our camping trips.
Granted, I have never had a MT, but the Ergo has met all our needs.
Have fun!
#6 of 22 Old 07-14-2006, 12:15 AM

I've done light backpacking with my Kozy- 28lb 2year old. I bought an Ergo backpack that will attach on the back of the Kozy so we can carry an extra load too- food, water, extra clothes, etc. We can easily manage 2.5 miles per day (that's about as much as he wants to be contained and as much as I want to lug him.) If dh is wearing him, he criss-crosses the front. If I'm wearing him, I usually do the straps backpack style unless we're backpacking and then I tie the straps over one another (an overhand knot?) and then pull them back over his legs/under his bum. Does that make sense? It's just more secure/comfy that way.

Aspiring midwife-mama to 2 beautiful homebirthed boys ages 3 and 6...
#7 of 22 Old 07-14-2006, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I love my homemade MTs, but I have to say you might want to try a frame backpack too. Most camping/outdoors stores will let you try one one and use it around the store for a while. We have a Kelty frame backpack, and it is a life saver on long hikes, or when I feel I need just a little more security.

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
#8 of 22 Old 07-14-2006, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

This is all sounding very good, thank you so far!

Didn't even think to ask the REI people if we could try out their frame pack! Good idea!
#9 of 22 Old 07-14-2006, 03:59 PM

We don't like our Kelty as much as the MT....especially for a 2 year old. When he's not on my back, I don't want to have to carry around that big thing. Plus, the little backpack that zips onto my Kelty is way smaller than the Ergo backpack that attaches to the MT.

I'm also never concerned that his head is going to hit a branch or something- in the MT/Ergo his head is below the level of mine.

BTW, we hike in a hot/humid weather and it seems to be fine. Sorry...just trying to confuse you

#10 of 22 Old 07-14-2006, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

mamalex, are you in my head?

or do you have an October birthday like me? can you see all sides to a situation? :
#11 of 22 Old 07-14-2006, 05:05 PM

We have gone hiking with our toddler in the ergo. If you are going to go hiking often, I'd recommend that you look into something like a Kelty. While the ergo was fine and comfortable, we had to take turns because we were so sweaty. Poor DS was just burning up from being against our backs and we ended up stripping him down to the diaper and letting him run around during frequent breaks. It wasn't much fun.

As much as I prefer soft back carriers, when hiking it's much better to have something that will keep your kiddos away from your back because you'll get more airflow and won't get as hot.

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

#12 of 22 Old 07-14-2006, 05:32 PM

Another vote for the Ergo over a MT.

If you do decide to get a frame backpack, I highly suggest getting a high quality one. Kelty or the like. I have an evenflow frame backpack. I've had it for about 6 years now, but I rarely use it. I really prefer using the Ergo (I have the old version of the Ergo). I don't usually get too hot with it, but my DD likes to be up, then down, then up, etc. Plus, we tend to do more spring & fall hiking, when it's not quite so hot outside..

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#13 of 22 Old 07-14-2006, 07:14 PM

I have a classic ergo and a mei tai. I have not used either for actual hiking yet. In general, I find the MT more comfortable. But if I were going camping I'd consider the Ergo. The MT straps would drag on the ground and get all dirty whenever I put it on.

I've only used the less expensive framed backpacks and they are HORRIBLE! So incredibly uncomfortable to say the least.
#14 of 22 Old 07-19-2006, 10:59 PM

We went camping for the 4th and we took both. I liked the ergo because the straps wouldn't drag and when needing up and down and back up again on the back. But when it was time to nurse, I used the bh. Being bigger upstairs makes it too hard for me to nurse in the ergo. I like the bh cause I can loosen the straps to make it more comfortable.

We also have a kelty framed pack with the water bladder and have never used it. It would have taken up way too much space on the trip.

Leslie-mom to Carson and Madison :, Sage Tree :, and Buckbeak, Tonks, and Luna
#15 of 22 Old 07-20-2006, 11:15 AM

I've never used an Ergo, but have done quite a bit of hiking with our Kozy. Last summer, my dd was 2 and 26 lbs. and we did a 6 mile hike with her in it. It was wonderful because she could also nurse in it and she ended up napping for an hour or two on the hike.

Good Luck~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#16 of 22 Old 07-20-2006, 11:42 AM

We just returned from camping (in Index, WA) and brought our NG Ergo and Kelty carriers. I'd have to say that the Ergo was the one we used the most and was most comfortable. On a long hike, it was nice having the Kelty but it was a bit bulkier. DD was happy as a clam in either. In all honesty, we could have just done with the Ergo so I say get one
#17 of 22 Old 07-20-2006, 02:13 PM

I vote for the ERGO! Both my husband and I have used it on hikes and it's the best we've tried. I don't think you'll regret it.
#18 of 22 Old 07-20-2006, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Sounding like overall the Ergo is the way to go.

I've never been able to nurse in anything but my Moby, and that was only ONE time and he was shorter in the torso (just tall and short enough so he was right there at the nipple), so I don't really expect on-the-go nursing unless I'm just holding him on my hip or carrying him on his side, and exposing myself to the universe anyway.

The sweaty factor does worry me, but this trip is to a very civilized part of the world, and if it's just too dangit hot we'll just go back and go shopping or something. :

Now to bide my time until DH's bonus shows up, la la la......
#19 of 22 Old 07-20-2006, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyeilis
Sounding like overall the Ergo is the way to go.

I've never been able to nurse in anything but my Moby, and that was only ONE time and he was shorter in the torso (just tall and short enough so he was right there at the nipple), so I don't really expect on-the-go nursing unless I'm just holding him on my hip or carrying him on his side, and exposing myself to the universe anyway.

The sweaty factor does worry me, but this trip is to a very civilized part of the world, and if it's just too dangit hot we'll just go back and go shopping or something. :

Now to bide my time until DH's bonus shows up, la la la......
FYI -- nursing in a mei tai is way easier than a Moby. I think it's pretty discreet too.
#20 of 22 Old 07-20-2006, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I have a mei tai, it's just not padded and is killing my shoulders. I can't him nurse in it at all...an upgrade to a babyhawk or Kozy (forgot about the Kozys!!!) probably wouldn't change that. The Moby day was a fluke of the universe. Lovely fluke, but a fluke all the same.
#21 of 22 Old 07-21-2006, 06:40 PM

hey mollyeilis,

yes, i do see all sides to a situation. it drives me crazy, and i have a hard time making decisions. it makes me a good counselor though...

i borrowed an ergo the other day and after being use to the kozy, i didn't like it. most of the weight pulled on my hips/waist, whereas kozy gives that little "lift" under the bum since the straps are continuous and knot under there.
kozy is easier for me to get on by myself than ergo (for a back carry.)

oh, and when you get home, you just toss it in the washing machine!

lastly, a couple months back we were hiking in an area that had dangerous drop-offs. ds wanted to walk then, of course. i just used the long straps to attach him to me like a leash. kozy is versatile and packs down, oh, and those ergo backpacks are very roomy (roomier than the kelty zip-ons) and fits just fine on the kozy...

btw, my birthday is nov 22

#22 of 22 Old 07-24-2006, 06:24 AM

We just got back from a trip where we did many hikes. We took the Kelty (for 3 y/o 28 pound dd) and the Ergo (for 8 m/o 20 pound ds). My dd was okay in the Kelty, but said she was sore afterwards. She said the Ergo was much more comfortable, and she wanted to be carried in it (poor kiddo - dangling from her crotch in the Kelty - she did NOT look comfortable either).

I would highly recommend an Ergo! (I have never tried a MT though.)

-Elizabeth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page