The Conference, what did you think? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 08-10-2006, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We definitely did have outreach, and low cost options, and I know I got a lot of volunteers from the offer of free classes, and it was GREAT! But there's something psychologically offputting for some people about a big conference with snazzy posters put up in upscale grocery stores. OF COURSE there were really great low and no cost options, but I think the difference would be where we advertised, how, and to whom - this conference was wonderful, and I'm so proud of having been a part of it, and I KNOW you, Jenrose, did so much to make it available to everyone possible (there's absolutely no way I could have or would have come if you hadn't - I found out on the second day of the conference my account was overdrawn and I wouldn't even be able to buy the $10 tshirt I wanted, nor paid for a $10 class), but if we wanted to organize a specifically outreach conference, it would look much different. And I think it's a great idea. We NEED big, international, well-attended, money-generating (or at least self-sufficient) conferences with many expensive pretties, and we need them to also have options for those who can't afford it but want to come (which we succeeded at admirably, I believe), but there are entire classes of people who look at that kind of conference and think "That's not for me" - not because they're not interested in babywearing, not because we've done anything to make them unwelcome, but because of perceived class and race and social issues. So we also need money-losing, government- and charity-funded, local, small, come-and-get-a-free-carrier options, which (correct me if I'm wrong) is more what crecentluna is talking about.
#32 of 39 Old 08-10-2006, 08:18 PM

Yup, Arwyn, thanks for 'getting it.'

If you feel criticized by my suggestion that we local folks throw a low-budget version next year, Jenrose, those are your feelings - own them and honor them, sure. But please recognize that's not what I've ever said or implied.

I'd hope you could accept the kudos and love you're getting for the phenomenal accomplishement of THIS year, and allow that other visions might flourish in the future also.
#33 of 39 Old 08-10-2006, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Like Leslie said, we are brainstorming now about how to get our NINO group more involved in the community and do more outreach. Some ideas we've kicked around is contacting local high schools to go into parenting classes and teach the basics of babywearing. Also local hospital run childbirth classes, since those are mostly populated by folks who don't have the cash to shell out for private childbirth classes. Either of those ideas catch your fancy let me know and we can put you to work!!

As for the rest, it is easy when people are critiquing something you poured your heart and soul into to feel defensive when you believe you did exactly what the criticism is saying you didn't. Cut Jenrose some slack please.

We need to work together not get snarky at each other! Now everyone and make up or I will strangle you with my very scratchy solerveil ring sling!

N~
#34 of 39 Old 08-11-2006, 01:32 PM

I would love love love to be a part of a regional PDX conference. The problem is, I work on Tuesday (NINO) mornings. Will someone please put me on a list to be contacted about other meetings that may take place :
#35 of 39 Old 08-11-2006, 03:06 PM

Yeah, yeah, - no snark intended, cross my heart! I am frustrated at being misunderstood, and that's where the tone comes from. My whole point has been - the con. was so inspirational, I don't want to wait 3 years for another, and is there interest in staging a low-budget regional NEXT year? I'm sad that my positively motivated idea was misinterpreted as a criticism. OTOH I am picking up that there IS local interest, so hopefully it will happen.

Getting involved with HS classes and hospital-run programs are *excellent* ideas. Like Jessica, tho, I work weekday mornings ... wonder if a NINO meeting time for working mamas is possible?
#36 of 39 Old 08-11-2006, 03:59 PM

I'd just like to reiterate my refrain that babywearing isn't just for women, and especially among this population, more men than women work regular office hours - so I'm definitely also agitating for at least occassional office-work-friendly meeting times as part of our goal of reaching out to working women AND men.
#37 of 39 Old 08-11-2006, 04:35 PM

Sorry if I've been short about this stuff... I have been coming down with a stomach flu and am now flat on my back. Makes for ill temper where none is warranted.

Jenrose, Mama to DD1, born 1993, DD2, born 2005, and DS1, Jan. 2012. Babywearing, cosleeping, homebirthing mom with fibromyalgia and hashimotos.  DD2 has a rare chromosome disorder. 

#38 of 39 Old 08-12-2006, 04:13 PM

Get well soon Jenrose! And thanks again for spearheading - and pulling off - the con.

Good point Arwyn - DP is a (mostly) SAHD so I forget that dads work too. Sheesh! : Seriously, I am already brainstorming HS class mini-seminars - I do a lot of that kind of thing at work, and though it's been a few years since I taught high-schoolers, I do love 'em. As soon as the NINO leadership transitions, maybe some non-standard-work-hours meetings could be scheduled and we can connect more.
#39 of 39 Old 08-13-2006, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

I am polling the membership to see what the group needs are for meeting times, days, and locations! I will keep you updated. Kids being terrors have to run for now.

The poll for days and times is here.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page